Helpful ReplyHot!Going vegan

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Author
REDBOY1978
  • Total Posts : 14838
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 19:08:16 (permalink)
Get yourself down to Hackney city farm, bare hairy pigs to snuggle up to.
spils
  • Total Posts : 15136
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 19:12:17 (permalink)
Razor
Those Iceland ones look banging, but then I'd have to go to Iceland. I might do if I'm feeling a lack of shame one day.

Imagine it to be like visiting an inner city job centre, everyone has a strong smell of stale beer and piss. I'd rather have to starve to death than visit one of those places. Up there with farm foods and Lidl. 

RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 97477
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 20:41:47 (permalink)
SW14
Rayza, when have you encountered pigs out of interest?

You strike me from about as far as a country and farm type as possible.

You're not wrong lol. Mainly just on YouTube but they had some at college when I did an animal management course. You don't need to personally know an animal to know what they are like though!
post edited by RAYZA - 2019/01/10 20:44:39
RAYZA
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 20:43:35 (permalink)
Noc
Razor
Eating a pig is no better than eating a dog or a cat imo. 

This is the kind of thing that some vegans come out with that give them such a bad press IMO and it's 100% bullshit.

If you're out for a meal with mates and one of them orders the sweet and sour pork I doubt you'd bat an eyelid - if they asked for the stir fried border collie you'd probably end up fighting them.

That's the equivalent of saying 'everyone else was doing it so I thought it was OK', of course it wouldn't be as shocking because we've been conditioned to think it's ok since we were kids. I just mean they have a similar level of intelligence. I'm not going to get personally offended over it, the majority of people just copy and follow what they've been taught and don't question it so there's no point getting angry over it. And I would never question someone for eating meat in real life, I wouldn't want to be that guy lol.
post edited by RAYZA - 2019/01/10 20:48:43
Hammered
  • Total Posts : 700
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 20:53:26 (permalink)
Razor
Eating a pig is no better than eating a dog or a cat imo. Very intelligent and affectionate animals.

Not much meat on a cat though.
A whole pig hog roast will feed 100 people, while a whole cat probably wouldn't feed one person.
RAYZA
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 20:56:08 (permalink)
I was only referring to their intelligence levels lol. Which also reflects the amount of suffering they would go through being stuck in tiny cages. It's hard to talk about this kind of stuff without sounding sanctimonious or preachy, that's why I prefer to talk it online than in real life lol.
post edited by RAYZA - 2019/01/10 20:57:22
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18800
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 21:05:19 (permalink)
Pigs are real clever, not amazing with 'interspecies intelligence' though, I guess this is why I like a tasty ham.

MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 6442
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 21:08:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Travs 2019/01/10 21:32:56
You're an odd fellow, but I must say you steam a good ham.
LHC
  • Total Posts : 8033
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 21:19:40 (permalink)
feed a fed horse tho
Hammered
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 08:49:08 (permalink)
Razor
I was only referring to their intelligence levels lol.

More intelligence means more flavour
shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24922
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 08:56:40 (permalink)
According to people who keep pigs they generally seem to treat humans as their equals so in that sense eating a pig is probably worse than a dog or cat.

Their only downfall is that they taste so good.
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15638
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 09:11:59 (permalink)
For all we know dog cooked right could taste incredible.
OEM
  • Total Posts : 33785
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 09:30:43 (permalink)
Hammered
Razor
I was only referring to their intelligence levels lol.

More intelligence means more flavour

Explains why Japs love dolphin.

Ironic really, (some) vegans want to save the planet from animal slaughter and grow their own carrots, Japs out there butchering whales by the kilo ton.

shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24922
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 09:36:50 (permalink)
Postman Pat

I wouldn't be surprised if we tasted amazing to dogs, it would explain why they love licking us so much. If it weren't for the fact that they stood to gain less food in the long run I bet they would jump at the chance to rip us to pieces in our sleep.
Hammered
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 09:52:46 (permalink)
Postman Pat

Depends on the breed imo.
Any small terriers like a Jack Russell would be too tough i reckon, but a nice juicy Labrador would be delicious.
post edited by Hammered - 2019/01/11 11:14:42
LHC
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 09:53:05 (permalink)
Why don't we start hunting and eating grey squirrels by the bucketload?
SW14
  • Total Posts : 13943
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 10:09:44 (permalink)
shroomy
According to people who keep pigs they generally seem to treat humans as their equals so in that sense eating a pig is probably worse than a dog or cat.

Arrogance imo. Architects of their own downfall.
Travs
  • Total Posts : 598
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 11:23:46 (permalink)
Hammered
Postman Pat

Any small terriers like a Jack Russell would be too tough i reckon, but a nice juicy Labrador would be delicious.

I had dog when i was living on a gym in Bangkok. Compared to the other fantastic meats i had over there (duck in Thailand is pretty amazing, for example), it was nothing special, and was pretty overran by the other flavours and chillis in the meal.

I should add that i didn't actually know it was dog until about halfway through. But it didn't stop me finishing the meal.
RAYZA
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 11:46:47 (permalink)
One thing I've noticed is attitudes on this subject have changed a lot in the last 5 or so years, when I first went vegetarian I could barely mention it without people taking the piss, it was like you should be embarrassed about giving a shit about animals. Maybe that's just on here as people have grown up, but it seems to be general attitudes are changing. One day I doubt anyone will eat meat that came from an animal, but it will be long after we are all gone.
post edited by RAYZA - 2019/01/11 11:49:15
RAYZA
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 11:51:01 (permalink)
I had Vivera Veggie Burgers last night, they are by far the best veggie meat I've ever tried, so juicy and succulent compared to the Linda McCartney ones which were the best I'd tried.

Will get some of the other brands next week to do a comparison.
SW14
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 11:51:30 (permalink)
I reckon within 15 years most meat consumed will be grown from stem cells.

The tech ain’t far off now.
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15638
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 12:04:23 (permalink)
I think that most of the old misconceptions about vegetarianism have been swept away as more and more people have taken it up. The big one I remember was that being vegetarian makes you weak which is clearly bullshit.

People think that now about veganism, but then you've got the likes of Lewis Hamilton winning world titles as a vegan which shows it's not true. Mad to think that 10/15 years ago vegans were all mad hippies that no one paid any attention to.

Still wouldn't wanna do it though! I could handle being a vegetarian no problem, the Mrs has been a veggie all her life which pretty much makes me one anyway

but I need cheese on things. And milk in my tea. 

Joey Gunz
  • Total Posts : 16049
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 12:11:39 (permalink)
Razor
One thing I've noticed is attitudes on this subject have changed a lot in the last 5 or so years, when I first went vegetarian I could barely mention it without people taking the piss, it was like you should be embarrassed about giving a shit about animals. Maybe that's just on here as people have grown up, but it seems to be general attitudes are changing. One day I doubt anyone will eat meat that came from an animal, but it will be long after we are all gone.

still millions of people in tears over a vegan sausage roll.
LHC
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 12:14:39 (permalink)
Joey Gunz
Razor

That's just troglodytes though. Previously, fairly normal people would get irrationally angry/fearful of such sausages.
RAYZA
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 12:16:12 (permalink)
Yeah I just mean your average person not your typical Greggs loving brexiteer types, they will always be morons. I used to avoid bringing up being vegetarian for all the questions id get about it but now it's more accepted.
SW14
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 12:17:39 (permalink)
LHC
Joey Gunz
Razor

That's just troglodytes though. Previously, fairly normal people would get irrationally angry/fearful of such sausages.

I really struggle to see why it would bother anyone else. Not like it’s a replacement is it? Who gives a fuck if there’s something on a menu you don’t like or want?
Hammered
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 12:17:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Arcadian 2019/01/11 12:39:20
Travs
Hammered
Postman Pat

I had dog when i was living on a gym in Bangkok. Compared to the other fantastic meats i had over there (duck in Thailand is pretty amazing, for example), it was nothing special, and was pretty overran by the other flavours and chillis in the meal.

I should add that i didn't actually know it was dog until about halfway through. But it didn't stop me finishing the meal.

Jack Russell then
Dubtitled
  • Total Posts : 6389
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 13:28:03 (permalink)
Why does no one eat horse? Obviously they were too useful to eat back in the day but they are largely pointless now. Not trying to be a cunt just curious why of all the animals people eat some are regarded taboo.
LHC
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 13:32:30 (permalink)
People eat horse throughout most of Europe. I think they are thought of quite affectionately as pets here though so it's a bit rarer. You can still get it though.
GSV
  • Total Posts : 594
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/11 13:34:37 (permalink)
Dubtitled
Why does no one eat horse? Obviously they were too useful to eat back in the day but they are largely pointless now. Not trying to be a cunt just curious why of all the animals people eat some are regarded taboo.

Loads of places in Europe do eat horse.  As I understand it's really good meat as well, better for you than beef.
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0