Helpful ReplyHot!Going vegan

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Author
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 31278
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 11:20:23 (permalink)
Smokey McPot
The principle of replacing meat with meat substitutes is something I can’t get behind. Either eat it or don’t. Don’t replace it for something like meat.

I dunno, I'm trying to narrow down all these issues with my stomach if and if eating a meat substitute tasted the same, but didn't result in the same issues, then I'd be down with it.

That said, 99% sure most people just want to do it to be down with the latest trend.

LHC
  • Total Posts : 8033
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 11:30:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RAYZA 2019/01/10 12:40:18
Smokey McPot
The principle of replacing meat with meat substitutes is something I can’t get behind. Either eat it or don’t. Don’t replace it for something like meat.

This view is retarded. It's possible to like the taste of meat but dislike the cruelty and/or environmental impact. I'm sure people would like something identical to meat but they have to go for something like meat, as it is currently the only available option.
Fiend.
  • Total Posts : 1401
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 11:32:53 (permalink)
frizzyd
Like all things in life, you can't tar all Vegans with the same brush but through frequent interactions with the animal welfare Vegans, I've concluded they are fairly often incredibly unpleasant human beings.

I've got a friend who is a militant vegan. She goes on town centre protests, pickets abattoirs, was telling me how she stopped a livestock truck going through her village to argue with the driver (and then got incensed when another villager came out to ask the driver if he was okay), three times when I was in the car with her and a livestock truck passed on the other side she wound down the window to give them the Vs.... Problem is she is a vicious wee thing and could probably have me so it wasn't worth discussing. She's also a good fun character aside from that.

post edited by Fiend. - 2019/01/10 11:33:56

...is this what you want???
  • Total Posts : 6733
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:10:12 (permalink)
Razor

Are those two any good? Seen them in Sainsburys

I've not tried the burger but the mince is good if you use it in something like a chilli or spaghetti bolognese. Once you've added all the sauce and vegetables I can barely tell it's not normal beef mince. 
Joey Gunz
  • Total Posts : 16049
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:17:34 (permalink)
Thought them burgers were a bit crap, but the mince made a good spag bol.
Best burgers are in Icealnd - No Bull Burgers.
Use Oatly Barrista in your Tea and Coffee.

Violife make the best vegan everyday cheese unless you're going to get some Artisan stuff.

Linda's Scampi is crap.

If you let me know what you're after specificaly I can tell you the best substitue I've had.
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:22:15 (permalink)
media like the daily mail whipping up a storm against vegans confuses me tbh. 

there are vegans who are preachy but nobody has to listen. they print their weird anti-vegan stuff and people say things like 'all these bloody vegans trying to stop us eating meat now'. it's just another 'foreigners taking our jobs' but now it's 'vegans taking our meat'. it's all designed to make people feel like other people are taking away their prized british possessions - 'well, nobody takes away my roast dinner!' and all of a sudden vegans who either have good intentions for their personal health or good intentions for climate change, etc. are demonised for no real reason.

makes me sad that so many people in the world have such a fuck you attitude towards the welfare of animals, the state of the planet, etc. nobody wants to make any changes that might help. other governments around the world are outright banning plastic bags / straws. I think New York has just put a blanket ban on all polystyrene and foam cups / trays / packaging - with fines if you're caught with it. that's great - it's immediate. it'll force people to rethink immediately about how they cope without those things. I think in the UK we're like - "well, we'll put carrier bags up to 10p now and ban them in 2020" - why not just fuck them off completely, immediately; like other places have?

i'm being lambasted on here for driving a car up until recently and apparently that means I can't have an opinion on climate change and it cancels out anything I might be doing elsewhere to help reduce my impact on the environment. not everybody can give up everything immediately - I need to get around for my job but I've made conscientious efforts elsewhere to reduce meat-intake, buy zero-waste where possible, use ethical products, don't use plastic bags, etc. everyone can do a little bit without having to go 100% climate-mad. just something is better than nothing.  
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:23:34 (permalink)
Joey Gunz
Violife make the best vegan everyday cheese unless you're going to get some Artisan stuff.

will give that a go - we've been looking for something that doesn't taste awful. we used some substitute on a cheese chilli thing recently and it made the entire meal inedible! 
Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9688
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:30:10 (permalink)
My friends are raising their Romanian rescue dog as a vegan which I personally think is fucked.

That 'Rebel kitchen Mylk' is a decent substitute milk
Lrrr
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:33:44 (permalink)
Syzlack_23
My friends are raising their Romanian rescue dog as a vegan which I personally think is fucked.

That 'Rebel kitchen Mylk' is a decent substitute milk

So much about this sentence is fucked up I don't even know where to begin.

Lrrr
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:34:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Postman Pat 2019/01/10 12:35:16
dazdsb

there are vegans who are preachy but nobody has to listen. they print their weird anti-vegan stuff and people say things like 'all these bloody vegans trying to stop us eating meat now'. it's just another 'foreigners taking our jobs' but now it's 'vegans taking our meat'. it's all designed to make people feel like other people are taking away their prized british possessions - 'well, nobody takes away my roast dinner!' and all of a sudden vegans who either have good intentions for their personal health or good intentions for climate change, etc. are demonised for no real reason.

makes me sad that so many people in the world have such a fuck you attitude towards the welfare of animals, the state of the planet, etc. nobody wants to make any changes that might help. other governments around the world are outright banning plastic bags / straws. I think New York has just put a blanket ban on all polystyrene and foam cups / trays / packaging - with fines if you're caught with it. that's great - it's immediate. it'll force people to rethink immediately about how they cope without those things. I think in the UK we're like - "well, we'll put carrier bags up to 10p now and ban them in 2020" - why not just fuck them off completely, immediately; like other places have?

i'm being lambasted on here for driving a car up until recently and apparently that means I can't have an opinion on climate change and it cancels out anything I might be doing elsewhere to help reduce my impact on the environment. not everybody can give up everything immediately - I need to get around for my job but I've made conscientious efforts elsewhere to reduce meat-intake, buy zero-waste where possible, use ethical products, don't use plastic bags, etc. everyone can do a little bit without having to go 100% climate-mad. just something is better than nothing.  

If you ironed 3 deer out whilst driving to the shops in your Jag to get vegan cheese.... are you net up or down on your carbon emissions?

Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15638
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:34:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 21 21 2019/01/10 12:55:21
dazdsb

It's the tabloid MO. Create bogeymen who are in some way "out to get you" to rile up the readers who then keep buying the paper to read more about how the people they've been told to fear are out to get them.

"Immigrants are coming for YOUR jobs"
"People on benefits are spending YOUR taxes"
"Vegans are coming for YOUR meat"

etc

RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 97477
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:39:42 (permalink)
Smokey McPot

Depends what you're doing it for, for me it's purely ethical reasons and the fact I don't particularly like many vegetables means the only way I can give up meat and still enjoy food is with fake meat. I just can't have a plate full of vegetables for dinner and feel satisfied.
LHC
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:39:57 (permalink)
Postman Pat
dazdsb

It's the tabloid MO. Create bogeymen who are in some way "out to get you" to rile up the readers who then keep buying the paper to read more about how the people they've been told to fear are out to get them.

etc

All this while whinging about snowflakes...
KnuckleHead
  • Total Posts : 16172
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:41:48 (permalink)
‘My son took a cannabis and went blind then tried to bone the cat’ Surrey mother, victim of super skunk
Joey Gunz
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:42:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 21 21 2019/01/10 12:54:30

dazdsb
Joey Gunz

will give that a go - we've been looking for something that doesn't taste awful. we used some substitute on a cheese chilli thing recently and it made the entire meal inedible! 

A cheese slice on a burger and you won't notice much difference but if you're actually making a cheese dish then yeah I'd say you're going to struggle with using a substitute.

I normally make this; https://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-vegan-parmesan-cheese/

you can take that to a cheese sauce just in a pan with some oil and a milk alternative and some mexican spices for queso e.t.c

or go all the way and take it to this which is the bollocks;

https://kindstateofmind.c...baked-vegan-camembert/
OEM
  • Total Posts : 33785
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:43:53 (permalink)
Bristol inhabits some serious specimens tbh.

Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:53:53 (permalink)
Lrrr
If you ironed 3 deer out whilst driving to the shops in your Jag to get vegan cheese.... are you net up or down on your carbon emissions?

I guess I've killed the deer already so maybe I might milk them for the cheese and walk home. That would balance it out nicely. 
Lrrr
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 12:57:48 (permalink)
dazdsb

The only thing I would say on a half serious note is I've spent the past 3 months working on a footprint calculator for a charity and 95% of your footprint is flying. All those things you've listed you're doing to try and help..... won't even make a 1% dent in flying to Japan for example.

Also, interesting point... take a read of this: https://m.phys.org/news/2...nt-cannabis-farms.html

GSV
  • Total Posts : 594
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 13:12:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RAYZA 2019/01/10 13:19:01
I've heard infinitely more morons complaining about vegans complaining/preaching, than I've ever heard vegans actually doing those things.
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 13:16:28 (permalink)
Lrrr

The only thing I would say on a half serious note is I've spent the past 3 months working on a footprint calculator for a charity and 95% of your footprint is flying. All those things you've listed you're doing to try and help..... won't even make a 1% dent in flying to Japan for example.

Also, interesting point... take a read of this: https://m.phys.org/news/2...nt-cannabis-farms.html

Sure thing dude, I appreciate that I do things that have an adverse affect on climate but I'm no full-time eco-warrior. I still want to travel and see places and I still do plenty of things that contribute to a higher footprint but at least it's better to do a few small bits to help as well. Otherwise I'd be doing nothing positive at all. so for me, flying to Japan, yes - not great but whilst at home we try to be aware of our actions. Also, my 2 or 3 flights a year (if that) are still insignificant compared to people flying every day for work, etc. 

The cannabis article is interesting but weird - this bit especially:

A recent study estimated a single, indoor marijuana plant takes the equivalent of 70 gallons of oil to grow

Well, I'm not sure what they're doing but the grow my mate just finished up at home (2 plants) didn't require any oil (obviously) and made very little impact on his electricity bill as he was using LED strip and LED UFO lights inside the grow case. I can only think that they must be growing under high power sodium / halogen lamps which require huge amounts of wattage and they're using oil as a measurement for energy use? I still can't see how a single plant requires that in any way / shape / form no matter how you grow it. If so then these new large-corp cannabis farms need to reconsider their growing process and bring it in line with the ethics that the plant demands.
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 28113
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 13:17:12 (permalink)
LHC
Smokey McPot

This view is retarded. It's possible to like the taste of meat but dislike the cruelty and/or environmental impact. I'm sure people would like something identical to meat but they have to go for something like meat, as it is currently the only available option.

I dont think it is. If you like the taste of meat then enjoy it, if you're concerned about how you got it then eat less or eat better, or learn how to grow your own cow and do it that way. Why should there be an option to have a substitute when X amount of starving crew rely on whatever is thrown out the back of a helicopter or lorry for them? 

Privilege of choice when it comes to food is something that bothers me. 

Joey Gunz
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 13:19:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Lrrr 2019/01/10 13:24:17
Eat a beef burger get crippled with gout.
Eat a plant based burger and skip merrily down the boozer.
shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24922
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 13:24:18 (permalink)
Postman Pat
dazdsb

etc

It's a good way to divert attention from real issues that are actually happening too.

Divide and conquer.
LHC
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 13:42:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Whagwan 2019/01/10 15:35:45
Smokey McPot
LHC
Smokey McPot

I dont think it is. If you like the taste of meat then enjoy it, if you're concerned about how you got it then eat less or eat better, or learn how to grow your own cow and do it that way. Why should there be an option to have a substitute when X amount of starving crew rely on whatever is thrown out the back of a helicopter or lorry for them? 

Privilege of choice when it comes to food is something that bothers me. 

I don't understand this at all. You complain about freedom of choice then suggest people grow their own cow, as if that is a choice for anybody except a privileged few.

If you are saying that people shouldn't have choice when people are starving then fine, but 'why should there be an option?' applies to all food. Drawing the line at meat vs food similar to meat is completely arbitrary. Why should meat eaters be able to choose between chicken or beef? 
Smokey McPot
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 13:58:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Lrrr 2019/01/10 14:00:36
Or a chicken.
LHC
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 14:02:04 (permalink)
brb just buying a chicken coop for my bedsit
Joey Gunz
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 14:02:13 (permalink)
IF YOU LIKE MEAT GROW YOUR OWN CHICKEN.
Smokey McPot
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 14:03:42 (permalink)
Clearly it is the logical answer. 
Lrrr
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 14:05:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Willfunk 2019/01/10 15:07:44
I only eat veal that died from loneliness.

Joey Gunz
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 14:07:32 (permalink)
If you adopted / rescued a chicken and it was just leaving eggs lying around the gaff where would you morally / ethicaly stand on eating the eggs?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0