Helpful ReplyHot!Going vegan

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Author
LHC
  • Total Posts : 8033
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/09 21:42:31 (permalink)
Smokey McPot
dimdum
Cut out milk too but I read almond milk isn’t exactly great either the amount of land it requires per volume of milk

Something like 1000L of water per litre of milk produced I read?

There was an article about it today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46654042

Almond milk production causes relatively low emissions but requires quite a lot of water. All altmilks are better than cow's milk though.

I've read about the water required for avocado production but it mostly seemed to be an attempt to undermine snowflake millenials because it's actually far lower than any meat.
original_state
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/09 21:53:53 (permalink)
This thread has come at a good time. I'm currently vegan because of medical problems, but if I can safely eat dairy products again, I will include that back in. Debating whether to eat fish and meat again because of ethical reasons. I still eat eggs. Looks like gluten is firmly out for the foreseeable future, but it's not as bad as you think. 

I do need more tips and advice (I'm being lazy by not asking people I know who could help me), so I'll read this thread properly tomorrow, and then I will also share what has helped me out so far and alternatives that I've found. 
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 23194
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/09 22:03:50 (permalink)
Did it for a week then gave up. Too much effort
OEM
  • Total Posts : 33785
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/09 22:09:52 (permalink)
OEMEven the big, gay hippy/hipster falls foul and rejects it after a few months. Being vegan is hard work.

gutlessrhyme
Did it for a week then gave up. Too much effort

Thanks for proving my point 🤣

CustardChucker
  • Total Posts : 2361
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/09 22:17:34 (permalink)
REDBOY1978
Razor
REDBOY1978
I need to try going vegetarian just because I love pigs & cows so much.

Giving up pork, beef and lamb was extremely easy for me, eventually i caved in and started eating chicken again though mainly so i could go out for food with other people , it is quite shit when you're somewhere out and you're the only one who can't get anything on the menu, i don't like feeling like i'm being difficult or fussy. Usually the token veggie option is some awful shite but i think things are improving now.

I've heard of a mushroom that has the taste and texture of chicken which I'm keen to try. I do love my veg so reckon I could find enough good food to make it work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laetiporus

It's fairly easy to forage too
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 97477
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/09 23:00:05 (permalink)

Would you rather have this or a plant based one? 
LHC
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/09 23:24:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Whagwan 2019/01/10 15:24:22
I'd definitely prefer the lab-grown meat. Hopefully it will be mainstream and cost effective soon.
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11902
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/09 23:29:59 (permalink)
Can't see an issue with lab grown meat, must be a lot healthier. Probably all still die of cancer anyway
KnuckleHead
  • Total Posts : 16172
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/09 23:45:30 (permalink)
Drum n Soy arena
SW14
  • Total Posts : 13943
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/09 23:55:43 (permalink)
LHC
I'd definitely prefer the lab-grown meat. Hopefully it will be mainstream and cost effective soon.

It’s not far off. They can already grow meat out of (I think) stem cells but they haven’t quite got the taste and consistency right yet and made it cost effective.

I reckon 5 years max and it will be standard and imo preferable.
REDBOY1978
  • Total Posts : 14838
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 05:14:45 (permalink)
Razor

Would you rather have this or a plant based one? 

If it was widely available and tasty I'd never buy "real" meat again. They do mention that one tiny piece of steak costs $50, that'll need to change. Also the point I made earlier about farmed animals becoming extinct was highlighted.

Looked into the mushroom "chicken of the woods" and it isn't readily available in food stores. Foraging in Epping Forest after a day at the office sounds like too much effort & there is always the problem of picking a poisonous variety.

I'm gonna make an effort to go veggie for a week starting Monday. Set the goals low. I'm going out for a vegan breakfast on Saturday with a friend who's doing the "veganuary" thing so hope that turns out well.
post edited by REDBOY1978 - 2019/01/10 05:24:14
Travs
  • Total Posts : 598
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 08:10:45 (permalink)
I went out with a vegan for a bit...  good at first. But then she wanted to start going picking strawberries, and barefoot walks in the forest. Considering i lived about 120 miles away, i wasn't driving that for to take my shoes off and fuck about in a forest.
Sheriff Lobo
  • Total Posts : 2730
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 09:16:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wiseacre 2019/01/10 09:50:11
I used to work in the dairy industry ... aside from the kidnap and slaughtering of your offspring, the life of a dairy cow seems pretty sweet to me.

In some of the bigger dairies they have automated / laser guided milking machines, where the cows just rock up at their leisure into a stall filled with tasty cow food. While they're eating from the trough, the milking things attach themselves automatically, and when they've had enough, everything just pops off and they can wander back into the field.

It's just a chance to eat food, get hench and make bare connects like most cows.
Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44391
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 09:28:25 (permalink)
Razor

Are those two any good? Seen them in Sainsburys

I had the burgers last night, they didn't taste of much tbh. Wouldn't yam again.

apart from a few meals over xmas i've tried being veggie for about 2 months now and it's playing havoc with my arsehole.

Hammered
  • Total Posts : 700
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 09:33:30 (permalink)
Most vegans I have met are insufferable preachy cunts who believe they are always right about every single thing in life and won't hear otherwise.
If you do go vegan, please do it quietly and let us all yam our steaks in peace.
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20930
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 09:52:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fiend. 2019/01/10 11:19:07
who barks loudest tho innit. if someone doesn't tell you you wouldn't know they were vegan. apart from their sickly, pallid complexion, limp handshake and malnourished limbs

no
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15638
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 10:08:49 (permalink)
Sheriff Lobo

It's just a chance to eat food, get hench and make bare connects like most cows.

KnuckleHead
  • Total Posts : 16172
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 10:13:02 (permalink)
I really don’t see this big ‘attack of the killer vegans’.
A few hippy kids in their recycled clothing banging their drums about save the animals isn’t really the big threat the Mail are portraying them as.
Specialized1
  • Total Posts : 21740
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 10:14:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ascension 2019/01/10 13:14:29
Hammered
Most vegans I have met are insufferable preachy cunts who believe they are always right about every single thing in life and won't hear otherwise.
If you do go vegan, please do it quietly and let us all yam our steaks in peace.

See, I hear this a lot. Much more than I've ever had a vegan tell me what I can and can't do.

People seem to be much more vocal about some perceived threat from vegans whilst screaming to anyone who will listen about their masculinity and nailing their precious steaks to their chest. 

STEAM - McGrayUK
LHC
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 10:20:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Postman Pat 2019/01/10 10:21:18
Fundamentalist meat-eaters are much worse than any vegan I've ever met, and far greater in number.
Postman Pat
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 10:21:12 (permalink)
original_state
This thread has come at a good time. I'm currently vegan because of medical problems, but if I can safely eat dairy products again, I will include that back in. Debating whether to eat fish and meat again because of ethical reasons. I still eat eggs. Looks like gluten is firmly out for the foreseeable future, but it's not as bad as you think. 

I do need more tips and advice (I'm being lazy by not asking people I know who could help me), so I'll read this thread properly tomorrow, and then I will also share what has helped me out so far and alternatives that I've found. 

I know a couple of people who have had to cut everything out recently due to digestive issues, seems like it's going around. How you getting on?
Postman Pat
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 10:28:54 (permalink)
LHC
Fundamentalist meat-eaters are much worse than any vegan I've ever met, and far greater in number.

For real, it's weird how so many blokes think the act of eating meat somehow defines their masculinity.

It's hard baked into our culture, ordering a steak is considered manly whilst a salad is effeminate. 

frizzyd
  • Total Posts : 25306
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 10:38:59 (permalink)
REDBOY1978
If it was widely available and tasty I'd never buy "real" meat again. They do mention that one tiny piece of steak costs $50, that'll need to change.

These technologies are in their infancy which is why it is so expensive currently - same as 3D food printing. One the tech is proven and it is scaled up, the price will be driven down.

One of the pioneers in fake meat is a US company called Memphis Meat, they've had investment from Richard Branson, Bill Gates and Cargill so you'd assume this will be going places within the next decade or so.

LHC

Personally I disagree, the Vegans motivated through animal rights / protection tend to be very aggressive and very preachy. Those Vegans motivated through the health benefits of a Vegan diet, or those motivated by the sustainability of the global meat supply, tend to be far more reasonable and well, normal

Like all things in life, you can't tar all Vegans with the same brush but through frequent interactions with the animal welfare Vegans, I've concluded they are fairly often incredibly unpleasant human beings.
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 31278
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 10:42:25 (permalink)
Postman Pat
original_state

I know a couple of people who have had to cut everything out recently due to digestive issues, seems like it's going around. How you getting on?

This is me... having to change literally everything I eat because of digestion issues. Joey Gunz is the man to talk to about that shit if anyone is struggling.

Side point: The recent push for veganism is driven by the carbon footprint of producing meat, yet people are pushing man made meats as alternatives.... surely that will result in just as much CO2?!

Remember 20 years ago cows being blamed for c02 emissions... now we can't iron them out and eat them as that also causes emissions.

Basically, we're fucking either way.

Hammered
  • Total Posts : 700
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 10:51:15 (permalink)
Specialized1
See, I hear this a lot. Much more than I've ever had a vegan tell me what I can and can't do.

People seem to be much more vocal about some perceived threat from vegans whilst screaming to anyone who will listen about their masculinity and nailing their precious steaks to their chest. 

You hear it a lot because it happens a lot.
I have been called a hypocrite before because I eat certain meats but do not condone people killing and eating their own dogs/cats. True story.
How can you have a reasoned discussion with people like that.
frizzyd
  • Total Posts : 25306
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 10:51:30 (permalink)
Lrrr
Side point: The recent push for veganism is driven by the carbon footprint of producing meat, yet people are pushing man made meats as alternatives.... surely that will result in just as much CO2?!

Remember 20 years ago cows being blamed for c02 emissions... now we can't iron them out and eat them as that also causes emissions.

People just need to make fresh Vegan meals in their homes instead of buying manufactured vegan products.

The amount of shite in processed Vegan foods (and freefrom foods for that matter) pretty much negate the health benefits anyway

I assume manufactured meat when it is mainstream will be the same in terms of the environmental impact, but I could be wrong.
post edited by frizzyd - 2019/01/10 10:53:18
LHC
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 11:02:51 (permalink)
Lrrr
Postman Pat
original_state

This is me... having to change literally everything I eat because of digestion issues. Joey Gunz is the man to talk to about that shit if anyone is struggling.

What are you basing that on?
Travs
  • Total Posts : 598
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 11:11:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fiend. 2019/01/10 11:22:32
I've not come across too many overly preachy types...  but it's the endless promoting of it...  every post on facebook etc accompanied by a picture of what they ate and a mention to the fact that it's vegan....  we know you're a vegan so fuck off.

Although anyone feeling the need to post any meal, of any type, on social media is instantly a twat in my book...
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 31278
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 11:13:06 (permalink)
LHC
Lrrr
Postman Pat
original_state

What are you basing that on?

Surely there is huge emissions generated from the infrastructure needed to research, create and then make these man made meats? Happy to be corrected, but it seems logical. It's not exactly the same as just sticking a few seeds down and living off the fat of the land.

Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 28113
Re: Going vegan 2019/01/10 11:15:10 (permalink)
The principle of replacing meat with meat substitutes is something I can’t get behind. Either eat it or don’t. Don’t replace it for something like meat.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0