Helpful ReplyHot!How hard do you work?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
spils
  • Total Posts : 15136
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/10 19:59:29 (permalink)
Pretty standard Monday to Thursday for not just me but my team. Fridays are even better, we call them 5% Fridays. Normally involves at least a 2 hour lunch break, where we all go into town and have a meal togther.

If an urgent project comes up or an application is broken, then visual studio gets fired up and all hands are on deck.

I never work past my contracted hours. Unless something extremely important crops up and the whole team are stopping over to get shit done. 

OEM
  • Total Posts : 33785
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/11 08:58:15 (permalink)
Snakey
My mate told me about the senior consultant at the hospital where he works who has his out of office saying

I'm on leave between X and Y dates and when I return I will be deleting all emails sent during this time, if it's important please re-send when I'm back at work.

That is higher level.

Not really. Trigger happy email pricks can die. One place I worked sent constant emails: Can you find this? Is this in your office where I left it last night? Can you find out if this person is on shift, he's not signed in? Pls ring x y z for these changes. Fuck off. The time it took you to write that email and cc everyone in you could've done it yourself.

4 days off and id come back in and there'd be 200+ emails. "Did you follow up on this, Jag?". No, I'm still reading last week's emails you horror cunt.

Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 28113
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/11 09:52:31 (permalink)
Snakey
My mate told me about the senior consultant at the hospital where he works who has his out of office saying

I'm on leave between X and Y dates and when I return I will be deleting all emails sent during this time, if it's important please re-send when I'm back at work.

That is higher level.

Ze Germans I work with employ the same technique. I respect it and have adopted it to, it’s pretty good.
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 5152
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/11 10:20:03 (permalink)
I work harder at this place than I did at my last place because the work is more interesting and there's far less admin.

Basically there's only 2 things that motivate me, working with new and interesting things, learning new skills is one of them (but isn't always possible obvs) the other is a desire to be left alone. So basically I aim to complete things before some melt starts hassling me for them. If I work with a hands on manager and see being hassled as an inevitably then I tend to grind to a halt.

By the end of my last place I was literally doing nothing some days and probably only a couple of hours actual work on good days.
ramraider
  • Total Posts : 7995
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/11 10:58:07 (permalink)
Depends. When it's properly busy I'll smash it out. At my current place it's so up and down that I end up giving all the work to my team most of the time. Days like this when I am at home apart form attending daily meetings and answering emails I have done fuck all so far

dotarr
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/11 11:23:40 (permalink)
spils
Pretty standard Monday to Thursday for not just me but my team. Fridays are even better, we call them 5% Fridays. Normally involves at least a 2 hour lunch break, where we all go into town and have a meal togther.

If an urgent project comes up or an application is broken, then visual studio gets fired up and all hands are on deck.

I never work past my contracted hours. Unless something extremely important crops up and the whole team are stopping over to get shit done. 

I love the blunt 'I am out of office until x; your email has not been forwarded.' responses.
LHC
  • Total Posts : 8033
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/11 12:05:25 (permalink)
A snide passive aggressive out-of-office smacks of self-importance imo.
dotarr
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/11 13:23:26 (permalink)
I hope people don't think I'm being self important, I just couldn't give a fuck what happens when I'm not there.
Whagwan
  • Total Posts : 24017
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/11 20:20:44 (permalink)
I do fuck all most of the time broken up by odd days or weeks of driving round the country firefighting, doing 8hrs in the car with 3-5hrs on site.
My Head of Department has announced he's taking early retirement and staying on for a managed transition and I'm fucking terrified about having to justify my time to someone new.

Saying that, I've pretty always done fuck all just responded to stuff and always got glowing appraisals in every job. I genuinely do not understand how this works.

In the interview process for a job closer to home with a big multinational which I'm pretty desperate to get so I can be home every night for me boy.  Also hoping it will kick off some sort of work ethic but maybe like Lrrr I'm just a lazy bastard.
post edited by Whagwan - 2019/01/11 20:22:19
wakeytom
  • Total Posts : 2941
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/12 00:59:46 (permalink)
Whagwan
I do fuck all most of the time broken up by odd days or weeks of driving round the country firefighting, doing 8hrs in the car with 3-5hrs on site.
My Head of Department has announced he's taking early retirement and staying on for a managed transition and I'm fucking terrified about having to justify my time to someone new.

Saying that, I've pretty always done fuck all just responded to stuff and always got glowing appraisals in every job. I genuinely do not understand how this works.

In the interview process for a job closer to home with a big multinational which I'm pretty desperate to get so I can be home every night for me boy.  Also hoping it will kick off some sort of work ethic but maybe like Lrrr I'm just a lazy bastard.

Good luck with the new job but why not just step up in to your managers role?
Whagwan
  • Total Posts : 24017
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/12 01:08:54 (permalink)
I currently airbnb in London two nights week and have just had a son so want to be commutable from Bristol.

Plus I wouldn't want it for various other reasons. It's time to move on.
DrKevorkian
  • Total Posts : 1560
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/12 10:34:51 (permalink)
Since new year I have been going in around 11 or 12 and leaving at 3pm. My boss has been off sick and I’m moving to a new role after next week so barely got fuck all left to do anyway.

I fear my new job will actually involve me turning up and doing some work, but this has been a VG+ start to the year.
James OD
  • Total Posts : 12307
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/12 10:45:45 (permalink)
My job is seasonal so between September and March I do very little but the other months are stupidly busy.
12+ hour days incoming.

Willfunk
  • Total Posts : 16096
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/12 11:05:04 (permalink)
I was too hungover to go to work today HTH
buttock
  • Total Posts : 203
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/12 11:41:59 (permalink)
Yeah I don’t do any work at all most of the time actually. Just sit at my desk looking really cool and laid back. When I do it’s the best work ever though and I save the company and everyone sucks me off.
Aunty West
  • Total Posts : 20723
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/12 12:57:53 (permalink)
Ive been in since about 8 and nursing a nice hangover ive done precisely fuck all today
OEM
  • Total Posts : 33785
Re: How hard do you work? 2019/01/12 13:24:31 (permalink)
LHC
A snide passive aggressive out-of-office smacks of self-importance imo.

Fucking right. Who's more important than number one? Fuck you, that's who.

Every meeting I walk into, my greeting is "Hello, you cunt.".
post edited by OEM - 2019/01/12 15:15:17

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0