Helpful ReplyHot!Organising and promoting a night..

Author
Nakoma
  • Total Posts : 3002
2019/01/04 10:23:40 (permalink)

Organising and promoting a night..

I've always had a dream of promoting and putting on a night so this year going to try and make it happen. 

Never done anything like this before however I'm pretty organised (Project Management qualified Etc.) 

Does anyone have any advice, links, resources, reading materials? 
Nakoma
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/04 10:26:36 (permalink)
I seem to remember there being a PDF document with a guide from ages ago. 

If anyone has a link to that it would be ace..
Ascension
  • Total Posts : 6583
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/04 10:31:41 (permalink)
From my limited experience of doing it over the past year, all the organisation/project management stuff is the easy part... it's building the contacts for people to play, as well as relationship with the club you're holding the night in, etc which is more challenging.

No documents for that, unfortunately, or I'd have been having a good read myself already 

Key thing is just the drive to actually do it.  I waited years talking about it before I went ahead, wish I'd done it earlier now!
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 28114
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/04 10:47:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ascension 2019/01/04 17:15:04
Been doing RYOR for 3 years now, it’s a bit different for us because we don’t have a budget, it’s all local community based. It’s been a grind at times, but we’ve built a good network of people that support it.

I agree with Ascension, the key is the contacts and relationships.

We tend not to get involved in any event politics (small town thing and inevitable).

If money is involved, make sure everything is completely transparent, and come the time of the event is fully written off so you’re not stressing on making your money back.
LeonBlue
  • Total Posts : 4735
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/06 13:35:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Hit 2019/01/07 12:53:40
I've done bits and pieces - happy to help if theres anything you want to know specifically? 

Also in terms of general advice - get a good graphic designer! First impressions count and there are so many events advertised online now, weak artwork or branding / imagery is a surefire way to switch off potential interest straight away. 

Oversight
  • Total Posts : 1246
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/06 14:51:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Hit 2019/01/07 12:52:52
In my humble opinion

Get a good “brand” for your night, visually and music/ vibe based

Look after your DJs

Look after your punters

Try and create a community feel with the night, something that punters and DJs feel part of

Set up as early as possible, and bring lots of spare leads and bits an bobs that could fail/ go missing

Bribe people to get down early, free/ reduced entry etc, good to have a vibe going as early as possible and avoid the whole “shit i hope people are going to turn up” thoughts (that is assuming you’re not doing advanced tickets, in which case use cheap early bird etc)
post edited by Oversight - 2019/01/06 14:56:16
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18803
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/06 16:08:06 (permalink)
Find a guy with a soundsystem who is so desperate to use the soundsystem that they will bring the soundsystem for a couple of hundred and some beer.

Know about new artists exactly 7 months before they become expensive.

Find people who value 'community' and trick them into working for you for free in exchange for coolness points.

SW14
  • Total Posts : 13950
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/06 18:45:11 (permalink)
Remember booking Chase and Status for £200.
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3787
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/06 19:05:31 (permalink)
devise a budget and stick to it. religiously. seen to many peoeple sink a shit ton of money into their first one, subsequently lose a shit ton, and be unable to do anymore

usually good to have an idea of your next night (pencil bookings for venue/djs) by the time your doing the first one so if it goes well you can move fast to lock the next one in

as someone else said, get someone decent/professional to do your logos/flyers/artwork etc.

if youre booking 'name' djs, agents etc are always willing to negotiate so if they say dj so&so is £x, 9 times out 10 you can get them down on that
Nakoma
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/06 21:43:55 (permalink)
I've been reading all this and will get my head down in the next week and come up with probably a load more questions. Big thanks to those that have responded.. I'll keep you posted on how it's going. Feeling quite up for it this now. I'm scaling back my original idea and going with a smaller venue initially to make mistakes and learn. Then look to expand once I've got a clue of what the fuck I'm doing. 
Buck Fuddy
  • Total Posts : 22368
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/06 23:36:02 (permalink)
Book friends who will play for free/rum ;)
Test Recordings
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/07 08:35:35 (permalink)
Make sure the venue is accessible for the kind of crowd you want to attract (or are going to be available, like students). I remember my mate in Leeds putting on a night at a venue pretty out of the way (like a taxi from the city centre) on a Tuesday night or something and even though he had a sick line up nobody would come because it was hassle. He was adamant it was the best venue and it was really except for the location but I think he only got a couple of nights in before he had to stop it. If he'd done it in the city centre it would've been fine and there were other nights that had done the same fine.

The same guy also told me to plan a couple of nights ahead, so think of the 2nd and 3rd or something like that by the time the 1st comes around so you don't end up having to rush things through and potentially fuck it up. Sounds like good advice to me regardless of who it came from...
darkmatter
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/07 13:47:13 (permalink)
Test Recordings
Make sure the venue is accessible for the kind of crowd you want to attract (or are going to be available, like students). I remember my mate in Leeds putting on a night at a venue pretty out of the way (like a taxi from the city centre) on a Tuesday night or something and even though he had a sick line up nobody would come because it was hassle. He was adamant it was the best venue and it was really except for the location but I think he only got a couple of nights in before he had to stop it. If he'd done it in the city centre it would've been fine and there were other nights that had done the same fine.

Which venue?

Law
  • Total Posts : 64375
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/07 15:45:35 (permalink)
If you do it with a mate, make sure it's someone you really really trust and get on with. Standard really, but money etc
If you're charging at the door, give all the DJs some cash, even if it's just a gesture / token amount for some beers.

Get to know other promoters in your area. Some regions have a Facebook group or something where you can check out whats on, so promoters try and avoid clashing. Not perfect by any stretch but any info you can get is helpful.

And probably the biggest lesson we've learned is, get your pricing structure right.
If you're staggering ticket prices, make sure the first release is proper cheap and you're offering the right amount - not too many, not too few. Make the next release quite a jump.

First time round we got this right, but second time (buoyed by the success last time), we only made the first release a couple of quid cheaper than the second. I definitely think it affected ticket sales. We ended up losing about £30 that night which I guess is still I win, all things considered.

And try and get the venue to handled door tickets if possible. Standing on the door half the night is one of the less glamorous aspects.
LHC
  • Total Posts : 8038
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/07 15:54:15 (permalink)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. 
I've chonged cigs with DJ Hazard, Fetched Eksman a cooling glass of lemonade, Watched Harry Shotta and Macky Gee rail lines upstairs in the VIP with me at a 16+, I've got more stories than I can count with Devilman (like when he washed his cock in my sink after he shagged a whale and she was dutt), Copped swiss blue off Traumz, Chauffeured Darkzy and his Mrs around a tour of Hereford, Driven Sammy Virji across England at 110mph to get him from my show in Oxford to Sheffield, I got to meet fucking Stormin mate - what an absolute honour, I've had Joe Thorpe at my house party doing a set with Forca Sheffield, I've gone on drug runs for dirty dike, smoked a reefer with jack jetson sat on a wall outside my fucking uni, fliptrix did a drum and bass set at my show after his performance with the four owls... it goes on. I've seen shit man. Haha. It's hard work, but it's worth it.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15643
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/07 15:54:38 (permalink)
Is flyering still important these days? I always hated doing it.
Oversight
  • Total Posts : 1246
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/07 17:14:58 (permalink)
Law

And try and get the venue to handled door tickets if possible. Standing on the door half the night is one of the less glamorous aspects.

This x 1000
Test Recordings
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/08 05:04:31 (permalink)
darkmatter
Test Recordings

Which venue?

Sorry I can't remember now (it was about ten years ago) but I don't recognise it from these so maybe it folded? https://leeds-list.com/music/clubs-to-end-an-unforgettable-night-out-in-leeds/

I think it was south of the city centre with a loft room upstairs, a bigger room underneath and a weird dark outside area... it wasn't a big one but if I hear the name I'd probably recognise it! There was fuck all around it if I remember correctly
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 28114
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/08 09:05:04 (permalink)
The Faversham?
Test Recordings
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/09 05:11:02 (permalink)
Naa that's the north side of the centre
darkmatter
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/09 14:14:45 (permalink)
Test Recordings

I think it was south of the city centre with a loft room upstairs, a bigger room underneath and a weird dark outside area... it wasn't a big one but if I hear the name I'd probably recognise it! There was fuck all around it if I remember correctly

Kerbcrawler maybe?

Definitely not the Fav that's studentland central

Test Recordings
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/16 04:46:24 (permalink)
darkmatter
Kerbcrawler maybe?

Definitely not the Fav that's studentland central

Yeah I think it must have been there! Looks like it's closed down though (Mint Warehouse is down the road so might be why) but Resident Advisor still has it listed https://www.residentadvisor.net/club.aspx?id=12655

Look at it on the map though and you can see it's a bit far out for a small night
https://www.google.com/ma...3.7905272!4d-1.5572333
Autograff
  • Total Posts : 11887
Re: Organising and promoting a night.. 2019/01/16 14:27:56 (permalink)
I was going to give a pretty detailed answer but then realised how much fucking work it is and even the idea of promoting exhausts me.

I swear it's taken decades off my life expectancy and I've only been doing it for 12 years. 
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0