Helpful ReplyHot!Red Dead Redemption II

Page: << < ..1617181920 > Showing page 18 of 20
Author
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 96976
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/23 13:32:46 (permalink)
I rmemeber being excited about GTA online but then reality hit and I realised I don't like having loads of annoying twats inside my game. I like the idea of having more missions and stuff to do for free but I'm not sure anythjng can get me into an online game like that now.
S8
  • Total Posts : 19855
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/23 16:00:42 (permalink)
dazdsb
I think we will be quite surprised by the online implementation in RDR2. 

It's a totally different game to GTA V - a lot more mature and a lot slower paced. 

From what I've heard they will be quite a significant onus on team work and reasonably high penalties for just going about offing everyone for no reason. 

I'm pretty sure they will retain private servers and PVP invincibility.

It just doesn't seem to make sense that people will end up with over-powered weapons and super-quick horses. I think they'll try and keep the pace and atmosphere. 

I hope so, anyway. 

Top be honest, going off on and murdering everyone one on a GTA server every now and then is a lot of fun
Noc
  • Total Posts : 19724
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/23 18:27:33 (permalink)
That pre-release leak that got pretty much everything right said there was going to be a Battle Royale mode in multiplayer. Could work OK if 100 players all get dropped in the same map and have to scramble for guns and horses.

Tbh I'd be happy rinsing dickheads at cowboy poker and saving up cash for a pair of assless chaps.

RAYZA
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/23 18:31:22 (permalink)
Doesn't sound great, I take it auto aim would be off for everyone? It's pretty hard aiming without it but too easy with it
¯ICE¯
  • Total Posts : 5580
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/23 22:28:39 (permalink)
This is the first massive, defining release in gaming that I've ever missed and felt so indifferent towards tbh. I have been mostly avoiding this thread because I will still buy it at some point, but I didn't feel at all compelled to buy it on release.  Quite surprised at myself.  One of the symptoms of getting old(er) I guess?

Anyway a lot of people were touting it as potentially the best game ever prior to its release, but from what I've skimmed over here and elsewhere, the opinion is surprisingly lukewarm in some respects. Just wondering, now that it's been out 4 weeks, if you lot think it lived up to the hype? 
RAYZA
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/23 23:11:08 (permalink)
Yes definitely. Second best game this gen.
DrKevorkian
  • Total Posts : 1549
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/24 09:31:29 (permalink)
It’s an unbelievable achievement in terms of graphics, atmosphere and storytelling.

Even after a month of solidly playing it there are still moments that make me go “wow”.

The only gripe I could possibly have is that the item menu is a bit fiddly.
21 21
  • Total Posts : 6647
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/24 10:05:37 (permalink)
yeah, definitely still having 'wow' moments after pushing 100 hours I think. 

my only minor complaint is the same - the menu is a bit clunky and it makes me rage a bit as to how loosely it registers my requests to feed / brush my horse. ok, so I'm moving slightly too fast still? queue the fucking request for when I've slowed down - don't ignore it and then make me go back into the wheel to select it again. 

aside from that the content is brilliant. I love the different challenges (horseman, weapons expert, etc.) and how they unlock the holster / gun-belt options. I love the hunting and I think they've done well with the legendary animals and pelts for crafting - it gives a reason to keep going at it. the fishing mini-game is really well done and keeps you going back for more attempts at the legendary fish. 

it's not perfect but it's pretty close and it's easily the most polished AAA I've seen with zero shit hidden behind micro-transactions, etc.

I'm hoping they will nail the online as well and it isn't a buy-everything-for-more-money and kill-everything fest like GTA V. If they somehow manage to get 32 players on a map and encourage some interaction / team-work and a nice balance of PVP it has the potential to be amazing. 
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3445
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/25 01:05:44 (permalink)
100 hours. And it's been out 4 weeks? So you're literally putting in 25 hours a week? So for the past month, 15% of your entire existence as a human being has been playing that game?
RAYZA
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/25 01:37:26 (permalink)
omg the horror! 

at least he's not you m8
RAYZA
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/25 03:20:58 (permalink)
playing GTA at 60fps on PC is so nice after playing Red Dead at 30 for so long. Will be full of regrets i didn't wait when it comes out on PC.
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20809
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/27 20:30:19 (permalink)
5gb update on the download. I'm guessing it's the multiplayer.

no
DrKevorkian
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/27 20:37:17 (permalink)
Aye. Think it’s only open to people who played on release day for the next day or two. Mine wasn’t delivered immediately so I’ll have to wait.
S8
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/27 20:47:26 (permalink)
Not fussed about online yet, enjoying the single player still.

Apparently they have patched a few additional things in single player too.
Griff
  • Total Posts : 9335
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/28 13:05:14 (permalink)
Watched a show last night in Saint Denis, it was heavy!

What a game.  Still loving it.
DrKevorkian
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/28 20:24:58 (permalink)
Yeah that show it mint. I love that you can shout out at it.

One thing I would recommend if people haven’t got there already is to do the hunting challenges before your camp moves too far south. Fucking pain in the arse sometimes having to go fully north and then ride stuff back so far south.
Noc
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 00:01:06 (permalink)
The first quest giver you meet in RD online is called Clay Davies. Sheeeeeeeit.
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8986
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 13:47:26 (permalink)
Finally got round to playing Red Dead 2 on Tuesday night and last night.
Love the atmosphere , the setting , the world and so on. I even like the slow pace. I have no problem with that.  However damn the controls in general are clunky.
21 21
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 14:03:00 (permalink)
Stoopid_Fux
However damn the controls in general are clunky.

they are but you'll get used to them and it gets better.

i also went into the control menu and increased things like aiming speed and reduced the controller deadzones - try that, it should make the controls a bit more twitchy and less sluggish.

as for online - well... played it for a few hours last night and there's a few glaring issues. firstly, as expected - 90% of encounters with other human beings end up in either kill / be killed. there is minimal interaction and there are no penalties for being killed (you don't lose cash, items, horse, etc.) and there is no penalty for killing someone apart from a small decrease in honour. the issue with this is that being killed becomes nothing but a shitty inconvenience. spent time hunting with your mate to get a nice pelt and then get killed? you lose the pelt. spent ages travelling somewhere on the map and get killed? get dropped miles away and have to do it again, etc.

another huge annoying and I don't have any idea why they fucking do it - everyone is marked on the map permanently so your location is never a secret. want to go fishing quietly with friends - good luck, your location is always visible and people will hunt you and grief you for fun. someone has suggested that low honour players who kill constantly should always be visible and have a bounty on them. high honour players will not be marked on the map so they can have a better chance of being left alone. this way all the kids who want to kill kill kill will be able to see each other and kill each other for bounties. other players can also go for these people for bounties and not get penalised for killing them. I think this would work much better. 

also - everything costs a fucking fortune. the mission rewards are fucking minimal. it will take you approx. 12 hours just to save up enough money to buy a half decent gun. there needs to be longevity and I don't believe you should be able to attain everything within a week but making people grind, grind, grind for cosmetics, horses and guns takes the fun away totally. it costs 1 gold bar (equiv. of like $300 in game or something) to make the barrel of your gun a different colour. it's severely imbalanced and will just make the game seem like a chore, imo. 

I hope that rockstar add a hardcore mode - no auto aim, no map blips and a decent honour system. they also need to sort the pricing out. could be good but at the moment looks like a pile of shit and I'll most likely just end up sticking about in single player. 
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
  • Total Posts : 21577
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 14:52:08 (permalink)
Some things will never change lol... I rmemeber when GTA V first went live and it was mayhem. 

Co-op? Not a chance... It was murder everything on sight. It has calmed down a bit but still more times than not, people will blast you in the face the moment they see you... A few weeks ago, I was doing missions with the same randoms for a few hours and after a while, we stopped and all spawn outside one of their apartments and as we all started going our separate ways I took out a machine gun and sprayed every one of them before driving off and going about my business and I have no idea why

The price for everything is mental .. A t-shirt is like $1000!? I don't know why they don't just make prices realistic? 
S8
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 16:30:30 (permalink)
Domino
Some things will never change lol... I rmemeber when GTA V first went live and it was mayhem. 

Co-op? Not a chance... It was murder everything on sight. It has calmed down a bit but still more times than not, people will blast you in the face the moment they see you... A few weeks ago, I was doing missions with the same randoms for a few hours and after a while, we stopped and all spawn outside one of their apartments and as we all started going our separate ways I took out a machine gun and sprayed every one of them before driving off and going about my business and I have no idea why

The price for everything is mental .. A t-shirt is like $1000!? I don't know why they don't just make prices realistic? 

Ha, last time I played online I spent a long time helping out another CEO with various business and made a decent amount of money and XP for little effort. Once I finished, I sticky bombed his helicopter and blew him up as he left. Like you, no idea why other than mayhem rules.

Having read about the grind online and the insane cost of things, it looks like Rockstar are going for the exact same model as GTA. I probably won't bother tbh.
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
  • Total Posts : 21577
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 16:41:34 (permalink)
It is fun though .. You build up a comradery and then just turn on them for no reason whatsoever. 

So satisfying too 😂
Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44369
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 16:57:35 (permalink)
sectionate
it looks like Rockstar are going for the exact same model as GTA. 

Yeah, it's the model that has made them billions upon billions of dollars.

Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15485
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 17:05:26 (permalink)
Traded it in today. Can't be arsed.
S8
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 20:47:31 (permalink)
Syhr
sectionate
it looks like Rockstar are going for the exact same model as GTA. 

Yeah, it's the model that has made them billions upon billions of dollars.

Yup. But I can’t see how they are going to fit whacky tech into RDR2 to make people want to pay money for shit.
S8
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 20:49:16 (permalink)
Domino
It is fun though .. You build up a comradery and then just turn on them for no reason whatsoever. 

So satisfying too 😂

Yup, done it a few times lol. Too much fun.
DrKevorkian
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 22:44:00 (permalink)
I started up Online but it lands you around Blackwater and I haven’t got there yet so want to explore it through story mode first. Need to stop pissing around and actually do some missions or I imagine I’ll get left behind with people racking up money.

I found GTA Online to be pretty decent once the heists came in.
21 21
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/29 23:35:54 (permalink)
mmm might have jumped the gun a little on the online criticism.

played with a few mates tonight and after we did a couple of the later story missions I'd managed to amass about $500 which is pretty decent. 

in the besa the story is only 8 missions long but I reckon there must be loads more when it goes live. if the missions continue to pay that well then maybe it won't be such a grind after all. 

hunting also racks up money pretty quickly. $7 for a perfect deer carcass and similar for the skins. you can rustle several of those up in 5 minutes. 
Noc
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/11/30 02:42:23 (permalink)
The online is loads better than I was expecting. Story missions means people are actually working together rather than all out GTA chaos.

Quite like the pvp stuff too, the Tall Trees mode where you get more points for taking out the top players is genius. Horse racing is surprisingly fun too.

Also, have I been playing too much RDR2 or does the new Shy FX/Stamina/Lily Allen tune sample it? The guitar licks and bird calls on the intro sound weirdly familiar.

Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8986
Re: Red Dead Redemption II 2018/12/01 00:11:40 (permalink)
dazdsb
Stoopid_Fux
However damn the controls in general are clunky.

they are but you'll get used to them and it gets better.

i also went into the control menu and increased things like aiming speed and reduced the controller deadzones - try that, it should make the controls a bit more twitchy and less sluggish.

I've got used to them more now and ive got more used to the bit cumbersome menus. Game is amazing. Loving it at moment.  
Page: << < ..1617181920 > Showing page 18 of 20
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0