Helpful ReplyHot!Moving to digital / DVS

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Brendon
  • Total Posts : 2477
2018/07/04 12:05:37 (permalink)

Moving to digital / DVS

I know this has been asked countless times but I thought I’d start a new thread for upto date thoughts and opinions rather than reading old comments

Finally decided to do it, basically as there is too much good music out there (of all genres) to buy it all on vinyl

Main questions are

Tracktor v Serato

Good / bad points for both? Ease of set up and use?

Any recommendations for DVS systems? as I won’t be selling my collection and still want to use it

Preferred laptop requirements etc

How does Rekordbox fit into all this as I’ve seen a few people mention it recently

Any websites I can do some in-depth reading on about the topic?

Hope you can help
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 28051
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 12:48:51 (permalink)
I use Serato, i like it a lot. 

Other people use Traktor, they seem to like that a lot. Its a bit like Sega and Nintendo.

Rekordbox is good if you're a regularly gigging DJ that doesnt have the luxury of a technical rider. You can use their DVS system too. I have no experience of it, but 'they' say it isnt as good as Traktor or Serato. Rekordbox reminds me of PlayStation to continue the analogy.

Whatever happens, there'll come a time where you're fucked off with it all, and just mix records again.
post edited by Smokey McPot - 2018/07/04 12:50:47
Sheriff Lobo
  • Total Posts : 2725
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 12:59:00 (permalink)
I'm a Traktor guy...  and I like it a lot.

Does Serato have a 'sync' function yet? i know it's a bit ghey, and you don't really need it you're just playing D&B, but I've come to realise that it is a wonderful thing ... for example, Last night, I mixed some Kendrick Lamar with a little loop from Fleetwood Mac - The chain (The F1 bit) and it was a thing of beauty ... is this kind of thing easy to pull off with Serato?
Law
  • Total Posts : 64364
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 13:06:14 (permalink)
I have Traktor DVS and was well happy with it, but eventually I got a bit annoyed with the turntable part affecting the digital side of things such as bad needles, platter drifting, mixer / connection stuff... so i just bought Kontrol S2 in the end. Full digital, works flawlessly.

Still keeping all my records and turntables, but I mix so much new stuff now it just made sense. Boy is it a piece of piss to mix on/
0-AID
  • Total Posts : 9770
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 13:13:11 (permalink)
I moved to Traktor about 2 years ago, the best decision I ever made.

I bought the Kontrol X1 and I never touch the laptop, I have the functionality of a digital DJ with all the best bits of being a vinyl DJ.

I sold all my records and never looked back. I haven't had any connection issues like Law so I can't comment on that.

I use a pair of Stanton STR8-150s and a A&H XONE:62 if that helps.

"I don't rap for dead presidents, I'd rather see the president dead, It's never been said, But I set precedents and the standards, and they can't stand it.."
Law
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 13:17:09 (permalink)
0-AID
I haven't had any connection issues like Law so I can't comment on that.

I dont mean around Traktor. I just mean that using DVS you still rely on cables to and from your mixer and turntables, and all the little niggly things that can go wrong with that. Noise etc.
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20808
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 13:19:13 (permalink)
i have traktor. it is great. i just wish they'd fuck off their "remix decks" in return for better quality/features/prices.

had an s4 as that allowed me to plug in decks as well as use their jog wheels for digital. I found it too easy to mix on and a bit cheap plasticy. sold it and got a Z2 which is far more robust but you have to use decks/cdjs.

not used anything else so whatevs

no
0-AID
  • Total Posts : 9770
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 13:24:01 (permalink)
Law
0-AID
I haven't had any connection issues like Law so I can't comment on that.

I dont mean around Traktor. I just mean that using DVS you still rely on cables to and from your mixer and turntables, and all the little niggly things that can go wrong with that. Noise etc.

Ahh okay, the only issue I had was the pre-amp on the A10 being shit compared to the pre-amps on my mixer when using the bypass mode to mix Vinyl.

When I wanted to mix my records I used to plug the turntables directly into the mixer and bypass the DVS.

Then I got rid of all my records and never had any issues. That A10 is a powerful bloody soundcard when you're just using the DVS.

"I don't rap for dead presidents, I'd rather see the president dead, It's never been said, But I set precedents and the standards, and they can't stand it.."
Grade
  • Total Posts : 18541
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 13:39:09 (permalink)
Don’t do it
DVS is a compromised stopgap system
Go analogue or full digital

leanpeople
  • Total Posts : 436
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 13:39:12 (permalink)
Sheriff Lobo
I'm a Traktor guy...  and I like it a lot.

Does Serato have a 'sync' function yet? i know it's a bit ghey, and you don't really need it you're just playing D&B, but I've come to realise that it is a wonderful thing ... for example, Last night, I mixed some Kendrick Lamar with a little loop from Fleetwood Mac - The chain (The F1 bit) and it was a thing of beauty ... is this kind of thing easy to pull off with Serato?

Yeah serato does, I just moved from serato 1.something and 1210s to serato pro with a Roland 202 (and 1210s) and am amazed how much I like it.

Was dead against the sync button for ages but it makes sense if you wanna do effects/sampling/sequencing with stuff on the fly
Law
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 13:49:41 (permalink)
Grade
Don’t do it
DVS is a compromised stopgap system
Go analogue or full digital

Now I've gone through the whole process, i'd probably agree with this tbh
Grade
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 13:55:44 (permalink)
I wanted it to work and tried to make it work for several years but you can never fully trust it not to fail you. Happened to me when playing out numerous times. When it’s working it can be great fun but it’s never as fun as vinyl and it’s never as convenient as a full digital setup.

Brendon
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/04 17:59:59 (permalink)
I never really play out though it’s just for at home use really

So the only way to combine existing and digital is to use something like a Tracktor Z2?

For everyone who has moved on from vinyl, have you just ripped your vinyl to WAVs and use them digitally?

PC wise I have a work laptop, so I was thinking I’d put the Tracktor software on my laptop but store all my music on an external hard drive which I’d just plug into my laptop when I want to access it. That should work shouldn’t it?

Tracktor seems to be more popular than Serato, would you all agree with that?
Sheriff Lobo
  • Total Posts : 2725
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 08:49:36 (permalink)
Grade / Law are probably right tbh ... I ended up getting the Z2 (well worth it) and since getting it, i'm using my turntables less and less. They only really get fired up now when I fancy doing some scratching or to play old vinyl.

The joy of the Z2 is that it's dead easy to switch from MP3 to vinyl so there's no real need to rip to WAV. Plus MP3s are pretty dirt cheap anyway.

Pretty sure the external hard drive would be fine.

Out of the folk I know, Traktor seems to be the most popular.

HTH
wiseacre
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 08:51:59 (permalink)
what mixer have you got at the moment? some mixers support serato and traktor, e.g. some Pioneer DJM
http://mixmag.net/read/pioneer-dj-officially-adds-traktor-support-for-djm-models-news

unsure about an external, might have a problem with traktor analysing tracks on the fly and the transfer causing a bottleneck. this could be completely unfounded
post edited by wiseacre - 2018/07/05 09:19:26

no
Smokey McPot
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 09:04:23 (permalink)
Brendon

For everyone who has moved on from vinyl, have you just ripped your vinyl to WAVs and use them digitally?

Nope, still have all vinyl and play a mixture. No point ripping things you can buy/still have. Unless you're selling your records which is frankly stupid.

PC wise I have a work laptop, so I was thinking I’d put the Tracktor software on my laptop but store all my music on an external hard drive which I’d just plug into my laptop when I want to access it. That should work shouldn’t it?

Externals work fine in my experience. Buy a good one, solid state is more robust if you can afford it.

Tracktor seems to be more popular than Serato, would you all agree with that?

On here, yes, but they're equally popular in the wild.

I also concur with Law and Grade, although I find mixing on CDJ's as much fun watching paint dry.
Grade
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 09:18:16 (permalink)
CDJs / controllers are ridiculously easy compared to turntables, get it locked on CDJs and you can go to the bar and order a drink and not worry about the mix going anywhere. But that’s the fun of using turntables, you’re constantly engaged and focussed on the task, you get fully into it and start headnodding and foot tapping like mad when you’re in the zone. You definitely don’t get that sensation with digital mixing, or I don’t anyway.

Law
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 09:26:24 (permalink)
Grade
CDJs / controllers are ridiculously easy compared to turntables, get it locked on CDJs and you can go to the bar and order a drink and not worry about the mix going anywhere. 

In theory this is true, but I'm so experienced on turntables and have used CDJs so rarely, it's the opposite for me. Bizarre but I feel so much more in control on vinyl.

Kontrol S2 on the other hand... again, because I know it well. The fucking easiest thing to mix on ever. It's almost a crime.
wiseacre
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 09:32:46 (permalink)
agreed. S4 is an S2 with the ability to plug in decks for vinyl too. I found it too easy, verging on pointless. also you can't assign decks to the crossfader, which was a pita. no such troubles on the Z2.
post edited by wiseacre - 2018/07/05 09:50:49

no
Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44369
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 09:43:18 (permalink)
Let's be honest, a DVS setup is a pure vanity item for people that don't want to let go of 'proper' mixing. The reality is that the vinyl control system is pretty pointless in this day and age, like Grade says just go full digital with a controller and keep the decks just for proper records. Traktor, Serato, whatever, they're not even 5% of the fun you think they'll be compared to mixing vinyl.

And they're a pain in the fucking a-hole to set up, as I have been found out on numerous occasions.

Kola Nut
  • Total Posts : 26815
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 09:51:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 0-AID 2018/07/05 10:39:19
Fuck off Rhys.

Drumshit Radio. Every Thursday 12pm.
Smokey McPot
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 09:52:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 0-AID 2018/07/05 10:39:34
Syhr
Let's be honest, a DVS setup is a pure vanity item for people that don't want to let go of 'proper' mixing.

Disagree. It's been talked about a bazillion times. Whether DVS or proper records - theres a feel that doesnt compare to a CDJ.

Syhr

And they're a pain in the fucking a-hole to set up, as I have been found out on numerous occasions.

Only if you're a techno-mong
LHC
  • Total Posts : 7843
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 09:53:03 (permalink)
It's easier to switch between vinyl and digital with DVS than it is with a controller though. You can keep the same mixer and everything.
Jonesy.
  • Total Posts : 8423
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 18:39:01 (permalink)
I've tried CDJs and a controller now and I just can't get properly into it. This period lasted a good few years and it made me fall out of love with music and mixing in general.

Since I've gone back to vinyl only I'm proper loving it again.

leanpeople
  • Total Posts : 436
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 18:44:18 (permalink)
Law
Grade
CDJs / controllers are ridiculously easy compared to turntables, get it locked on CDJs and you can go to the bar and order a drink and not worry about the mix going anywhere. 

In theory this is true, but I'm so experienced on turntables and have used CDJs so rarely, it's the opposite for me. Bizarre but I feel so much more in control on vinyl.

100% agree. That's why I skipped straight to sync when I got a controller. Fuck re learning how to touch some next platter life is way too short for that
MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 17373
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 20:25:47 (permalink)
Stopped caring now. I've been using Traktor for years and it's fucking awesome, take it most places I play if they have turntables. Use it all the time at home etc, sick everything. 

Still use vinyl all the time, mostly at home because I'm too fat and lazy to lug it about/spend ages rummaging though it all to pick a selection.

Had Rekordbox for a good while now, great for places without turntables or round mates who only have controllers etc, just rock up with some beers and a USB........ DEFINITELY not as fun to use though. 

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
Grade
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/05 23:44:30 (permalink)
Law
Grade

Kontrol S2 on the other hand... again, because I know it well. The fucking easiest thing to mix on ever. It's almost a crime.

Mate get on Rekordbox on some CDJ 2000s a few times and you can mix with your eyes closed, it will be very similar to the sensation on an S2. I literally had never used Rekordbox before, installed it and loaded some tunes up and played a mate's party that night and it was perfect. 

I'll never sell my decks though because I'll miss that feeling of just firing them up with some random boxes of records, no matter how rare it is I do it these days. You cannot beat that feeling.

Brendon
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/07 13:22:05 (permalink)
Ah some good replies here

To you guys playing out then.... do you just take your laptop and plug it in and S4 unit if needed?

Also someone explain what rekord box does

Tempted to get a Z2 now

If you have the program on your laptop can you just use your laptop to mix or do you need a control unit?
MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 17373
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/07 13:51:33 (permalink)
I take my laptop and all the necessary Traktor crap. It is a faff plugging it all in but worth it IMO, all my music is cue pointed so I can be a right old Andy C if I want to. Playlists are essential for playing out, scrolling though 1000s of tracks during a set is not the one at all. 

Rekordbox is just Pioneers proprietary software, just a place for storing your library, making playlists, adding cue points etc etc, same as Serato and Traktor have theirs. 

Would be great if you could have one that did it all and while cross-platform is possible it's more bloody software, which isn't free!! 

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
DJMidas
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: Moving to digital / DVS 2018/07/07 19:01:57 (permalink)
I moved to digital with Serato & bought a Pioneer DDJ-SX. It’s the single worst decision I’ve made in 18 years of calling myself a DJ.

HTH
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0