Helpful ReplyHot!Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Willfunk
  • Total Posts : 15817
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/08 18:53:25 (permalink)
As in its the go-to drink for people that don't know anything about ale. The same way Fosters is to people who don't know anything about lager. Its not that hard to work out what I was getting at
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 95941
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/08 18:58:23 (permalink)
So you dislike it because it's popular. Fosters is weak and has very little flavour so it appeals to kids or people who don't drink lager much, Punk is stronger than most popular lagers and has much more flavour. I've tried loads of ale over the years but never tried any I would want to buy regularly until I tried Punk. It's popular because it's nice, Fosters is popular because it's well marketed and cheap. Anything that gets really popular will have hipsters dismissing it and saying some obscure thing is better.
post edited by RAYZA - 2018/07/08 19:02:21
Willfunk
  • Total Posts : 15817
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/08 21:44:47 (permalink)
Tl:dr

Found another monthly subscription website. Little bit more expensive than the beer52 ones but you get more sent out every month. All independent British breweries.

https://www.bestofbritish...-beer-lovers-club.html
Mulla
  • Total Posts : 4757
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/09 09:36:10 (permalink)
Razor
I got the Beer52 one cos of the 3 quid offer but didn't think much of it at all, what the hell was that sour lime and raspberry thing?! More like an alcopop than a beer and only 3.5%. A couple of the IPAs were OK but I'd rather just get a box of Punk tbh. It works out over 3 quid each at full price so I don't see why I'd bother when I can select the ones I want for less than that. Also annoying you can't cancel it online.

lol same. I think maybe 6 of the 8 bottles had some kind of fruit infusion. Ghastly shit. Crisps were nice at least. 
djlobes
  • Total Posts : 519
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/09 09:51:45 (permalink)
Mulla
Razor
I got the Beer52 one cos of the 3 quid offer but didn't think much of it at all, what the hell was that sour lime and raspberry thing?! More like an alcopop than a beer and only 3.5%. A couple of the IPAs were OK but I'd rather just get a box of Punk tbh. It works out over 3 quid each at full price so I don't see why I'd bother when I can select the ones I want for less than that. Also annoying you can't cancel it online.

lol same. I think maybe 6 of the 8 bottles had some kind of fruit infusion. Ghastly shit. Crisps were nice at least. 

Your best bet is to use a site like www.hoptimism.co.uk or www.beermerchants.com . You can sort by beer style/brewery/whatever, and get much better beer that you choose. Hoptimism will sort you a monthly box out if you'd rather someone else pick for you. You don't get crisps though!

The Monkeynuts Mashup, Thursdays, 6-7.30pm on Futuredrumz Radio
SW14
  • Total Posts : 13017
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/09 11:57:24 (permalink)
willfunk
geordie007
the latest box from beer 52 was fantastic. all fuckig strong too

get a full crate for 12 quid https://www.beer52.com/jo./191477/323d3deeb45d10e6

Yep, that 'fighter' one was mad juice. 4 bottles of that would have you teetering on the edge. All of them were delicious though. Just ordered another one for the match on Wednesday.

Use my promo code link lids so I can get free beer and you can get a cheap crate of excellent IPA

https://www.beer52.com/jo./246842/9522197b8164d56d

I can just feel you getting swept up in the national euphoria, curating your alcohol experience days in advance for the match. Fully expect to see you draped in a "HENDO" England shirt hanging off a traffic light Wednesday night.
RAYZA
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/15 19:35:51 (permalink)
that 8% beer in the Beer52 box is rank. Beer should never be over 6% (please let it be known for the record that all views expressed in this comment are the views of Rayza and Rayza alone, i would never dare suggest my views are shared by others)
post edited by RAYZA - 2018/07/16 17:30:20
MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 6301
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/15 20:10:13 (permalink)
Boneshaker IPA is 7.1%
Had a stout that was 9% the other day. Tasted like syrup though
Canuck is one of my favourites right now. Amsterdam Big Wheel, goose IPA, Alexander keith's and Octopus Wants to Fight are my go to one also.
Trinity Bellwood brewery also stocks some incredible beers. Monogamy is one of my favourites from there.

I do miss punk, gamma ray and neck oil but the craft beer scene over here is pretty vast.
Test Recordings
  • Total Posts : 669
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 04:44:49 (permalink)
Razor
that 8% beer in the Beer52 box is rank. Beer should never be over 6%.

That's bollocks, lots of good European beer is over 6%. Bernard's Bohemian ale is a good one and it's 8%. Belgium ones tend to be stronger too, I've had good ones at 11%
Grade
  • Total Posts : 18456
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 06:08:08 (permalink)
How about those La Trappe grenades. I smashed a 4 pack of the Quadrupel 10% ones many years back, tastes like sweet beer syrup and you're absolutely shitfaced after 4 bottles.

Loads of traditional Belgian beers go way above 6%.
post edited by Grade - 2018/07/16 06:10:02

Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44308
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 08:20:33 (permalink)
Grade
Craft beer is the Games Workshop of alcohol

LOL

This, everything this.

frizzyd
  • Total Posts : 25223
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 09:41:39 (permalink)
Law
mouse
My point was that previous to the bandwagon jumping the market was primarily beardy socks and sandal CAMRA crew.

I'm pretty sure I read once that CAMRA hate this craft beer revolution, as it wasn't pioneered by them. It was hijacked. They especially dont like Brewdog.

Maybe it's a "techno vs EDM" type thing. But I can't ever remember enjoying some CAMRA endorsed warm weak tasting ale with a goblin or some bird with her knockers out on the pump. Fuck off mates.

I was on the judging panel of a food/drink awards for my sector and ended up doing the Beer Category - it was a hard life, tasing 15 beers on a Wednesday afternoon.

But they had to split the panel into two as there were 30 beers to taste and had someone from CAMRA on each panel.

The CAMRA guy on our panel was a stuck up, beardy bellend - kept on going on about how sophisticated two particular entrants were, when the other 9 people on the panel had evidently concluded they taste like piss due to the scores which were awarded.

Most of the entrants were Brewdog type brands as well so it wasn't your usual cask vs. non-cask issue either.
RAYZA
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 11:45:31 (permalink)
Test Recordings
Razor
that 8% beer in the Beer52 box is rank. Beer should never be over 6%.

That's bollocks, lots of good European beer is over 6%. Bernard's Bohemian ale is a good one and it's 8%. Belgium ones tend to be stronger too, I've had good ones at 11%

Poeple in liking different things shocker
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 23105
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 11:58:53 (permalink)
I find beers that go beyond the 6 or 7% just taste of headache
S8
  • Total Posts : 19653
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 12:23:54 (permalink)
PunkIPA gives a horror of a hangover, but I do like the odd pint. Not keen on their other offerings though.

If I drank more at home, I would sign up to the Beer52 thing.
Sheriff Lobo
  • Total Posts : 2716
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 13:25:38 (permalink)
I can understand why CAMRA don't like Brewdog ... Brewdog market themselves as 'craft' but the reality is that their factory is almost as large and just as automated as some of the big Heineken / Molson Coors breweries.

The 'craft' thing is a bit of con really.

It doesn't really bother me tbh, Brewdog make some nice beer tbf 
Cybotron
  • Total Posts : 914
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 13:33:07 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme
I find beers that go beyond the 6 or 7% just taste of headache

I lolled as there's some truth in this - especially Leffe
OEM
  • Total Posts : 33468
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 14:20:13 (permalink)
There is a prick who I work with will routinely ask for the strongest pint in every pub. It's his "tradition" apparently. Meet him about 2pm the other Saturday England was playing and he'd clearly had a few.

By 9pm and 6 pints of 4-5% beers with us he's was unable to speak, stand or anything really. Had to ditch him.

gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 23105
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 14:30:40 (permalink)
I remember back when I did my work experience as a 16 year old whipper snapper, after the 2 weeks was up the team took me to the pub to say thanks and decided to "treat" me to a can of Gold Label. 
Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1608
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 14:37:05 (permalink)
OEM
There is a prick who I work with will routinely ask for the strongest pint in every pub. It's his "tradition" apparently. Meet him about 2pm the other Saturday England was playing and he'd clearly had a few.

By 9pm and 6 pints of 4-5% beers with us he's was unable to speak, stand or anything really. Had to ditch him.

Reminds me of being 17 and only drinking Stella as it was 5.2%!
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11353
Re: Beer/Ale Monthly Subscriptions? 2018/07/16 15:31:46 (permalink)
Syhr
Grade
Craft beer is the Games Workshop of alcohol

LOL

This, everything this.

POTY award contender
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0