Helpful ReplyHot!Near death experiences

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Cybotron
  • Total Posts : 942
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/15 08:14:14 (permalink)
Sheriff Lobo
I hear you on the drowning/asphyxiation thing ... a truly dreadful feeling.

When I was a lad, a couple of my mates once decided to have a fire extinguisher 'fight', in an abandoned building we broke into (running around abandoned buildings brought great joy to all of us, and was a fairly commonplace occurrence). unfortunately on this occasion they had both picked up CO2 fire extinguishers, and we were upstairs, in a fairly dark, un-ventilated room ... cue all of us not being able to breath and desperately trying to remember the way out.... after a couple of wrong turns we eventually found the stairs, I remember pegging it to the bottom thinking I would be able to fill my lungs with sweet oxygen when I got there ... but nope, I tried to breath and nothing happened (that feeling will stay with me forever)... thought I was about to die, but then saw the sunlight from the boarded up window we kicked in, literally sprinted towards it and dived out straight on to the pavement. Thankfully my mates were right behind. No-one died, which was nice.

That's mad - i didn't know that CO2 extinguishers could be so powerful 

gutlessrhyme
That story sounds even more alarming having recently listened to this podcast

That's a good listen and I can relate to a lot of stuff mentioned - esp about the body forcing you to breathe underwater. 

I remember when i gave her my air supply and she rejected it, it made me go into some deep panic and although i knew to hold my breath, the panic made me involuntarily breathe in water and choke.  As we were ascending I had been choking but forcing myself not to ingest any more water but when I was about 5-10 metres from the surface i just couldnt help it - i tried to breathe like I was a fish.  At that point i was expecting the worst to happen

MellowHype
 I just ducked off and had little tear on my ones.

Wouldn't say it was a near death experience. Just a savage place to have a panic attack. All forgotten about after a few beers. I probably won't go diving again though.

The "had a little tear on my ones"  comment did make me lol a bit.  But if you ask me a panic attack whilst diving could be classified as near death for sure if you're in any depth of water.  The panic is all consuming and the body behaves in ways you just can't imagine - especially your breathing which is most important. 

I full on bawled the next day over breakfast  - i think the shock was starting to subside and the reality of what could have been dawned on me.   I was remembering things like when my mrs rejected both my air supplies and clung onto me - i thought she was purposely trying to kill both of us because of the argument on the boat.  I remembered thinking at the time that she was some / angel of death / mermaid.  Also I was thinking if i could have done something that could have got us out of the situation earlier.  Interestingly, for both the Mrs and myself our final thought was about our daughter - i distinctly remember thinking that she was about to be orphaned.

All of these thoughts happen in a blink of an eye when you're panicking under water.

Diving is such great fun and I used to be a massive advocate - if you didn't do it you are some great big pussy missing out on a large chunk of the beauty the world has to offer - i was disappointed that my mum never got into it.  I've changed my tune considerably since. 

Booberella
  • Total Posts : 12655
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/15 08:30:10 (permalink)
Came home severely wasted, ran a bath, passed out and woke up about 6 hours later. Could have been the next Whitney. My skin was papery and wrinkly for the next day or so!

Also narrowly avoided a pile-up on the A13 last Xmas Eve... Driving at 70ish, a van in front went onto the slip road, then changed his mind and cut back onto the motorway after the slip road had finished, I couldn’t move right as a car was already overtaking, just had to break really harshly, also narrowly avoiding being ploughed into from the back. 👍
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12984
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/15 09:02:02 (permalink)
Fucking cars/driving. Hate hate hate

Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9598
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/15 09:33:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wiseacre 2018/06/15 13:54:07
metzie
a van in front went onto the slip road, then changed his mind and cut back onto the motorway after the slip road had finished, I couldn’t move right as a car was already overtaking, just had to break really harshly, also narrowly avoiding being ploughed into from the back. 👍

I just got road rage at my desk
MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 6362
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/15 12:13:31 (permalink)
Cybotron
Sheriff Lobo

When I was a lad, a couple of my mates once decided to have a fire extinguisher 'fight', in an abandoned building we broke into (running around abandoned buildings brought great joy to all of us, and was a fairly commonplace occurrence). unfortunately on this occasion they had both picked up CO2 fire extinguishers, and we were upstairs, in a fairly dark, un-ventilated room ... cue all of us not being able to breath and desperately trying to remember the way out.... after a couple of wrong turns we eventually found the stairs, I remember pegging it to the bottom thinking I would be able to fill my lungs with sweet oxygen when I got there ... but nope, I tried to breath and nothing happened (that feeling will stay with me forever)... thought I was about to die, but then saw the sunlight from the boarded up window we kicked in, literally sprinted towards it and dived out straight on to the pavement. Thankfully my mates were right behind. No-one died, which was nice.

gutlessrhyme

That's a good listen and I can relate to a lot of stuff mentioned - esp about the body forcing you to breathe underwater. 

I remember when i gave her my air supply and she rejected it, it made me go into some deep panic and although i knew to hold my breath, the panic made me involuntarily breathe in water and choke.  As we were ascending I had been choking but forcing myself not to ingest any more water but when I was about 5-10 metres from the surface i just couldnt help it - i tried to breathe like I was a fish.  At that point i was expecting the worst to happen

MellowHype

Wouldn't say it was a near death experience. Just a savage place to have a panic attack. All forgotten about after a few beers. I probably won't go diving again though.

The "had a little tear on my ones"  comment did make me lol a bit.  But if you ask me a panic attack whilst diving could be classified as near death for sure if you're in any depth of water.  The panic is all consuming and the body behaves in ways you just can't imagine - especially your breathing which is most important. 

I full on bawled the next day over breakfast  - i think the shock was starting to subside and the reality of what could have been dawned on me.   I was remembering things like when my mrs rejected both my air supplies and clung onto me - i thought she was purposely trying to kill both of us because of the argument on the boat.  I remembered thinking at the time that she was some / angel of death / mermaid.  Also I was thinking if i could have done something that could have got us out of the situation earlier.  Interestingly, for both the Mrs and myself our final thought was about our daughter - i distinctly remember thinking that she was about to be orphaned.

All of these thoughts happen in a blink of an eye when you're panicking under water.

Diving is such great fun and I used to be a massive advocate - if you didn't do it you are some great big pussy missing out on a large chunk of the beauty the world has to offer - i was disappointed that my mum never got into it.  I've changed my tune considerably since. 

Your incident sounds terrifying. I'm confused why your missus was refusing the air. Even though I felt like I was getting no air from it, I knew it was the only thing keeping me alive.
SW14
  • Total Posts : 13375
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/15 12:21:01 (permalink)
MellowHype
I had a panic attack diving and I also shoved my head out of one of those old train doors and as I pulled my head back in another train went roaring past.

The diving incident was my 3rd dive. I went out the night before, against the advice from the dive school, because I was fucking this chick from Birmingham so wanted to go out with them and get laid again.
Turned up to the dive hungover and feeling like I didn't want to do it but went for it. First 10 minutes was fine, but then my mate who was up the instructors arse and wanted to be near him, budged me out the way. Suddenly I became very aware that the only thing that was keeping me alive was the tube in my mouth, then it felt like I was getting no air from it and I started to panic.
I kept making the thumbs up sign to the instructor saying I want to go up, but because I kept doing the thumbs up throughout training for 'OK' joking around I think the communication got lost. I just held on hoping I wouldn't die.

Got back on the boat to everyone whooping and cheering. I just ducked off and had little tear on my ones.

The fact that a thumbs up in diving means “panic, I need to get to the surface lively” always struck me as ridiculous.

That cringey “ok” sign you have to make didn’t help my negative perception. Surely an index finger pointed to the surface makes more sense?
Cybotron
  • Total Posts : 942
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/15 12:26:32 (permalink)
MellowHype
Cybotron
Sheriff Lobo

gutlessrhyme

MellowHype

Your incident sounds terrifying. I'm confused why your missus was refusing the air. Even though I felt like I was getting no air from it, I knew it was the only thing keeping me alive.

If you can imagine, i was thinking exactly the same thing as you whilst this was happening. I was thinking she was trying to kill us both.

I guess the term "blind panic" is about your losing your thought process under stress, and that's what happened to her when she started choking.   

There's a button on the regulator (bit that goes into your mouth) which she could have pressed and she could have expelled the water that was in her mouth.   As i understand it, instructors would have grabbed her from behind, force the regulator in her mouth and press the button to force air into her lungs 
Duderonomy
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/15 13:31:29 (permalink)
Grade
Was cycling around Oxford about 15 years ago with headphones [...] missed being plastered all over the the front of a bus

Ditto, on many occasions.

Don't have anything to report nearly as bad as the diving incident, more about things that had the potential to go a lot worse.
First one that always springs to mind is the time I was in living in Bangkok and unknowingly insulted a yaba dealer by giving his bird a hug in thanks for a free beer she gave me. Next thing I know he's booted me in the head and going for me. He was pulled back by other punters and then stormed outside. After I'd recovered my senses and asked what happened I look outside and he's sitting on a bench waiting for me with his AK47. The whole bar stayed inside while the owner went outside - presumably to reason with him that murder is bad for business and that it was all a misunderstanding. I guess I was concussed from the boot to the head as I wasn't nearly as scared as I should've been*, maybe this came from the conviction that I'd done nothing wrong. After a tense wait he was calmed down and vanished with his gun. 20 years later I still remember his name: Vichai. Motherfucker. 

*I was shitting it, but the whole thing seemed so surreal I couldn't believe he was actually going to shoot me
post edited by Duderonomy - 2018/06/15 13:33:15
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0