Helpful ReplyHot!Near death experiences

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cybotron
  • Total Posts : 942
2018/06/14 08:21:12 (permalink)

Near death experiences

Have any of you nearly come a cropper?

I've had 2 recent experiences that were quite different - a diving accident and moded accident. Drowning was by far the worst though.

Last september, i was with my mrs in a huge tuna pen 19m deep in the med.   After a few minutes she has a panic attack and because we had an argument on the boat just before, i thought she was just being difficult - but pretty quickly I realised that she wasn't,  so calm as you like gave her my alternate air supply thinking hers was faulty and all would be ok - however she then spat out the air supply so the mood completely changed - it was clear that the situation was extremely serious. 

Panicking, I gave her my primary air supply and again she spat it out - then grabbed me looking into my eyes like she had given up.  I then started to choke myself (due to panicking) and had no air in my lungs and was looking at my other half (of over 20 years) literally drowning in front of me - all the while we had tuna swimming in circles at us,  above us and below us.  I thought on a number of occasions that it was not actually happening to me / us - that it was a nightmare and for sure we were in some trippy horror movie.

The only thing I could do at this point was to inflate my BCD (breathing control device) and we ascended to the top in what seemed ages - it took 30 seconds.  As we ascended my lungs were bursting and I thought there was no way we were going to make it to the top - but fortunately we did. I ended up with mild pneumonia and shock and my mrs also had shock and had to go to a decompression chamber.    I inadvertently filmed the whole mess I was supposed to be filming the tuna) and it's pretty chilling - she was out of oxygen for 90 seconds and I was out for 60 seconds.

Drowning is absolutely not a peaceful way to check out , it's horrific.
S8
  • Total Posts : 19817
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 08:30:55 (permalink)
Blimey, sounds pretty grim. That would put me off diving for life I think.

Being found knocked out cold in the middle of a quiet piste by two skiers is probably the closest I have come. The mountain rescue guys estimated that I was out for over 5 minutes.
MalcolmTucker
  • Total Posts : 1306
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 08:47:42 (permalink)
brrr that sounds horrific
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 23125
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 09:02:41 (permalink)
That story sounds even more alarming having recently listened to this podcast

Asian Babe
  • Total Posts : 11214
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 09:22:38 (permalink)
I don't know why but I lol'd. Probably just the tuna circling about 

Cybotron
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 09:46:35 (permalink)
sectionate

Being found knocked out cold in the middle of a quiet piste by two skiers is probably the closest I have come. The mountain rescue guys estimated that I was out for over 5 minutes.

Well your post is really quite appropriate.   Before that holiday I had already booked a dive holiday with my dad and uncle in Koh Lanta, Thailand for February and i wasn't going to cancel.   

After almost drowning I found this new found zest for life and was pretty care free- so 5am after an all night party I thought it was a good idea to bomb it home on a moped, pissed and without a helmet (yep - doughnut move).  All i remember was a turn in the road and thinking that i can't just slam on the brakes but will try and ride the verge and i'll be ok.  

Next thing I remember was walking off a dirt track towards the main road and having to decide which way was home - left or right - with blood pouring down my face.  I chose right correctly and after a few minutes was wondering if i had gone the right way and where was the location of my moped.  I walked maybe a hundred metres and the moped was there on the side of the road with the keys in the ignition. Some beautiful soul must have stood the moped up (one of the wing mirrors had snapped off as was one of the brakes) and dragged me off road to revive me.  So i must have regained consciousness as I was walking toward to the road. 

I got to the hotel and my face and one arm and leg was mashed up, my old man took me to hosiptal and i had 8 stitches above my eye and bandaging all over.  When I returned to the UK i had an MRI and was told i had a subdural hematoma (bleeding between the brain and skull) which could be fatal. 

It took a few days to dawn on me the seriousness of what had happened and that my daughter could be without a dad or had a vegetable for a father for the rest of her life - all for a moment of stupidity.

Probably not my proudest moment 

post edited by Cybotron - 2018/06/14 09:55:08
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12984
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 09:56:36 (permalink)
What the fuck happened with the scuba gear then? 

Cybotron
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 11:09:04 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
What the fuck happened with the scuba gear then? 

Absolutely nothing, she just had a panic attack, started choking and couldnt recover to breathe.

There were a number of causes ...

Firstly she was in 2 minds as to whether she wanted to go on the dive in the first place then on the drive to the dive boat, I nearly ran into the back of another car which affected her mood.  

On the boat she was irritable and I told her to leave me alone if she was going to give me bad vibes - we were going on a cool dive ffs!  Then as we approached the tuna pen you could smell the fishy smell in the air (the tuna's food).  The instructor was telling us about how they "fatten the tuna up to be slaughtered" - which i remember kind of put me off the whole thing - diving is about the appreciation of nature - not really about going to an underwater battery farm / abbatoir

When we arrived at the nets we jumped in and i followed another couple - my mrs was protesting as she was told by the instructor that we should wait for her (which i did not hear) - i convinced her that we should just go - that freaked her out.

To get into the net there's a small hole cut out (which you could quite easily get caught in) and so that was a bit hairy.  Then when we got inside the net you saw the 400kg tuna - and some of them were like ghosts - deathly white, diseased and swimming on their sides round and round in circles.

Also when i'm underwater I would just focus on taking photo's and so she felt isolated.  Before she started choking she was nervous as she kept on tapping me to watch out for her.   

On the boat back she was silent the whole time - i was raving on at everyone telling them how we both almost died.

When we got back to land i insisted that I drove the car to the hospital - even though everyone was telling me not to.  I was convinced that i was ok.  Got to the hospital and i refused treatment - an hour later i was freezing cold (shock) but still refused treatment.  The mrs was kept in overnight (6 hours in a decomp chamber) and i went home. Next morning i had pains in my chest and I wept like a baby during breakfast at the thought of what might have been - not about watching your mrs die / having your daughter orphaned at 2.  Got taken to hospital and was admitted for 3 days with mild pneumonia.

In hindsight we should never have gone on the dive.  I doubt I will ever experience anything so frightening. 
Cybotron
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 11:19:56 (permalink)
sectionate

Should also say that after the diving and moped accidents I had my work skiing trip.  Very much touch and go whether I was going due to the subdural.

To say that I was pedestrian down the slopes was an understatement.  

post edited by Cybotron - 2018/06/14 11:28:59
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 27989
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 11:29:07 (permalink)
I was going to make some smart arse comment about it, but that sounds dreadful.

Was it a recent event?
Flow Joe
  • Total Posts : 1683
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 11:31:24 (permalink)
The weekend starts right HERE!
Cybotron
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 12:00:51 (permalink)
Smokey McPot

Was it a recent event?

The diving accident was september last year
The moped one was in february

Flow Joe

Lol !   But it did have a happy ending !

Miss SD
  • Total Posts : 24921
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 15:31:22 (permalink)
I fell out of a 2nd floor window and broke my back and ankle.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 15:43:24 (permalink)
Miss SD

Pissed?

S8
  • Total Posts : 19817
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 15:47:22 (permalink)
Bloody hell Cybotron, you have had a few misses!

Jungle Dave
Miss SD

Pissed?

Chasing Cedric?
Miss SD
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 15:50:05 (permalink)
sectionate
Bloody hell Cybotron, you have had a few misses!

Jungle Dave
Miss SD

Pissed?

Chasing Cedric?

I was drunk yes. Didnt have Cedric back then !
This was ten years ago just before my 30th birthday.
badder2
  • Total Posts : 2345
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 15:52:13 (permalink)
As a teenager i shoved my head out of a train window (the old slam door ones). 

I was pissed and it was chinging along, as my mate pulled me back in by the back of my collar it made an almight whoompph noise as it went through a tunnel. 

It would have taken my head clean off. I often think about what life would have been like with no bonce. 

Sheriff Lobo
  • Total Posts : 2721
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 16:01:26 (permalink)
I hear you on the drowning/asphyxiation thing ... a truly dreadful feeling.

When I was a lad, a couple of my mates once decided to have a fire extinguisher 'fight', in an abandoned building we broke into (running around abandoned buildings brought great joy to all of us, and was a fairly commonplace occurrence). unfortunately on this occasion they had both picked up CO2 fire extinguishers, and we were upstairs, in a fairly dark, un-ventilated room ... cue all of us not being able to breath and desperately trying to remember the way out.... after a couple of wrong turns we eventually found the stairs, I remember pegging it to the bottom thinking I would be able to fill my lungs with sweet oxygen when I got there ... but nope, I tried to breath and nothing happened (that feeling will stay with me forever)... thought I was about to die, but then saw the sunlight from the boarded up window we kicked in, literally sprinted towards it and dived out straight on to the pavement. Thankfully my mates were right behind. No-one died, which was nice.

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 16:08:50 (permalink)
Miss SD

I was drunk yes. Didnt have Cedric back then !
This was ten years ago just before my 30th birthday.

Sheeesh!

Cybotron
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 16:40:41 (permalink)
Miss SD

Breaking my back and being paralysed would be one of my biggest nightmares -  i think I would rather just be dead.

Did you have any motor / movement issues after?

Panacea
  • Total Posts : 1947
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 16:41:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Duderonomy 2018/06/15 13:12:13
Cybotron
Smokey McPot

Was it a recent event?

The diving accident was september last year
The moped one was in february

Flow Joe

Lol !   But it did have a happy ending !

Lies.

That 2nd time I was lamped by Smegma (neighbours called the police) for keeping the engagement ring from my 1st 9yr relationship to give to my daughter when she is 18.

End of online anonymity soon come. Don’t fall on your arses in the meantime bitches 👍

Be seein ya.
Colin2013
  • Total Posts : 1138
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 16:55:49 (permalink)
Kandee
Be seein ya.

Simply loveleh!
Miss SD
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 18:26:30 (permalink)
Cybotron
Miss SD

Breaking my back and being paralysed would be one of my biggest nightmares -  i think I would rather just be dead.

No I didn't damage my spinal cord luckily. My ankle was the most problematic tbh, thought I was going to lose my foot at one point it was so badly damaged. It still hurt a now if im on it for long periods of if I put weight on.
Asian Babe
  • Total Posts : 11214
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 20:28:33 (permalink)
Miss SD
Cybotron
Miss SD

No I didn't damage my spinal cord luckily. My ankle was the most problematic tbh, thought I was going to lose my foot at one point it was so badly damaged. It still hurt a now if im on it for long periods of if I put weight on.

Bleedin eck glad you're OK! I know something mad happened for you to scale back the booze but you really are lucky. World's a better place with you in it madame

Alpha Mike
  • Total Posts : 1101
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 20:59:14 (permalink)
@ Cybotron, that is the stuff of nightmares mate  I got short of breath reading it, glad you're ok!

I've led a relatively sheltered life but the closest I've come is probably when I fell in a canal pissed. 
In fact pissed is an understatement I was completely fucking ming-monged, I have absolutely no recollection of even being near the canal, but weirdly I do remember being in the canal and at the time also having no memory of being near the canal and thinking 'how the fucking hell did I get in here?'
The shock of the cold water and the adrenaline etc. must have sobered me up because I kind of remember clambering out and walking back to the night club I'd come from (which was also back towards the direction of my house so fuck knows where I thought I was off to) and jumping in a cab at the taxi rank, thinking to myself "just act dry and perhaps he won't notice you're soaked", then shivering like a crack-head as I handed him a ringing wet tenner when he asked for cash up front... I must have stank of canal water too, luckily I think he felt sorry for me and just took me home without saying a word. 
Don't remember much of getting in but I woke up with a massive graze up the side of my body from my right armpit right down to my hip, a massive lump on the side of my head and bruises literally everywhere so I'm guessing I fell / rolled in somehow  but it was the bump on my head that scared me, had that knocked me out on my way in I wouldn't be typing this out today that's for sure, and you hear of so many people that die from drunkenly falling in rivers / canals etc.  
Haven't ever been that fucked since and doubt I ever will again!
Miss SD
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 21:01:48 (permalink)
horrid
Miss SD
Cybotron
Miss SD

Bleedin eck glad you're OK! I know something mad happened for you to scale back the booze but you really are lucky. World's a better place with you in it madame

Ah thankyou 😊
Yes this was 10 years ago and I knocked booze on the head for four years. Unfortunately though during that time got addicted to painkillers. They were tough to come off. Then started drinking again but moderately, never as bad as I used to be.
Now I have been off booze fags painkillers etc since late summer last year.
MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 6362
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 21:45:29 (permalink)
I had a panic attack diving and I also shoved my head out of one of those old train doors and as I pulled my head back in another train went roaring past.

The diving incident was my 3rd dive. I went out the night before, against the advice from the dive school, because I was fucking this chick from Birmingham so wanted to go out with them and get laid again.
Turned up to the dive hungover and feeling like I didn't want to do it but went for it. First 10 minutes was fine, but then my mate who was up the instructors arse and wanted to be near him, budged me out the way. Suddenly I became very aware that the only thing that was keeping me alive was the tube in my mouth, then it felt like I was getting no air from it and I started to panic.
I kept making the thumbs up sign to the instructor saying I want to go up, but because I kept doing the thumbs up throughout training for 'OK' joking around I think the communication got lost. I just held on hoping I wouldn't die.

Got back on the boat to everyone whooping and cheering. I just ducked off and had little tear on my ones.

Wouldn't say it was a near death experience. Just a savage place to have a panic attack. All forgotten about after a few beers. I probably won't go diving again though.
post edited by MellowHype - 2018/06/14 22:16:19
Cybotron
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/14 21:47:28 (permalink)
AlphaMike
@ Cybotron, that is the stuff of nightmares mate  I got short of breath reading it, glad you're ok!

I've led a relatively sheltered life but the closest I've come is probably when I fell in a canal pissed. 
In fact pissed is an understatement I was completely fucking ming-monged, I have absolutely no recollection of even being near the canal, but weirdly I do remember being in the canal and at the time also having no memory of being near the canal and thinking 'how the fucking hell did I get in here?'
The shock of the cold water and the adrenaline etc. must have sobered me up because I kind of remember clambering out and walking back to the night club I'd come from (which was also back towards the direction of my house so fuck knows where I thought I was off to) and jumping in a cab at the taxi rank, thinking to myself "just act dry and perhaps he won't notice you're soaked", then shivering like a crack-head as I handed him a ringing wet tenner when he asked for cash up front... I must have stank of canal water too, luckily I think he felt sorry for me and just took me home without saying a word. 
Don't remember much of getting in but I woke up with a massive graze up the side of my body from my right armpit right down to my hip, a massive lump on the side of my head and bruises literally everywhere so I'm guessing I fell / rolled in somehow  but it was the bump on my head that scared me, had that knocked me out on my way in I wouldn't be typing this out today that's for sure, and you hear of so many people that die from drunkenly falling in rivers / canals etc.  
Haven't ever been that fucked since and doubt I ever will again!

Cheers man, we were lucky.

You were very lucky too, especially that you banged your head... I lived with a guy who died in pretty much the same circumstance.

It was Xmas 1999 and he went missing after a night out. He was a white crusty dread typeand people were concerned because he uncharacteristically hired a suit to go for a meal with his gf which he missed....as well as missing Xmas dinner with his mum.

They fished him out from a lake just after New Year - apparently he  left the club and fell asleep on a bench next to a lake....then rolled into it.
post edited by Cybotron - 2018/06/15 07:25:25
2ndPhase
  • Total Posts : 2692
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/15 04:05:10 (permalink)
badder2
As a teenager i shoved my head out of a train window (the old slam door ones). 

I was pissed and it was chinging along, as my mate pulled me back in by the back of my collar it made an almight whoompph noise as it went through a tunnel. 

It would have taken my head clean off. I often think about what life would have been like with no bonce. 

Would have saved bare pounds at the hairdresser 
Grade
  • Total Posts : 18495
Re: Near death experiences 2018/06/15 04:18:44 (permalink)
Was cycling around Oxford about 15 years ago with headphones in listening to drum and bass, went flying straight through an intersection without realising. Luckily I was going at full tit, because I missed being plastered all over the the front of a bus by about 0.001secs. I saw this massive red wall coming at me in my peripherals right at the moment I passed in front of it.
I had to sit down and have a long timeout/cold sweat after that.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0