Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
dreamworld
  • Total Posts : 4778
2018/04/11 10:16:56 (permalink)

Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’

Opinions on this?

https://www.standard.co.u...nt-crime-a3810451.html

People have been saying stuff like this for years, I remember it with the Gangsta rap of the 90s and I’ve read people tried to ban Rock n Roll back in the 50s for the same reason too. The irony is a lot of the time the people that make the tunes are just artists playing a persona, it just becomes reality when people take what they are saying literally.

I’ve listened to quite a bit of it on YT, I like the music but the guy makes some interesting points.
KNUCKLES
  • Total Posts : 15247
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 10:51:25 (permalink)
It's social media and gangs now basically bang out online lol. snapchat/youtube all have intense videos on there of gang members talking crud about other crews so if them vids get loads of views then the other guys feel like they have to respond.

R.A's out now. He just did a 10 stretch for bursting a Uzi at Feds on Brixton high road and there weren't drill music then m8. 

_Nearly 50 FFS_
  • Total Posts : 15298
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 11:06:27 (permalink)
From what I can see the right-wing media likes to blame a musical subculture, in this case 'drill' where other hip hop subcultures, gangsta, trap, grime etc have had the blame before. This handily shifts the blame away from the 1% sucking all the wealth/lifeblood out of the capital, and the fact that a large section of London's youth has no way of making a proper living outside of crime, a sad indictment of what London has become for many.

The left-leaning Guardian etc chooses deprivation/neglect/toxic masculinity/lack of father figures/social factors generally/police cuts over music, I agree with the latter.

Plus of course social media shitstorms between rival factions as knuckles says above, what a mess.

Rappers just reflect what they see, no more or less, that's what they do, all the way back to Melle Mel and The Message.
dibidibbidibi
  • Total Posts : 1022
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 11:12:05 (permalink)
Does art imitate life? or life art? 
_Nearly 50 FFS_
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 11:43:59 (permalink)
^^ The two are one and the same imo.
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18359
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 11:55:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 0-AID 2018/04/11 12:50:16
If you wanted to increase crime in the UK you would do three things:
- Cut spending on policing
- Cut spending on social care
- Promote a massive widening of the wealth gap so that loads more people are living in poverty

The government have done the following:
- Promote a massive widening of the wealth gap so that loads more people are living in poverty

There's no phenomenon that needs explaining here, if the crime rate hadn't increased then we'd need to start asking serious questions.

Geordie007
  • Total Posts : 20271
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 12:00:57 (permalink)
darkmatter

There's no phenomenon that needs explaining here, if the crime rate hadn't increased then we'd need to start asking serious questions.

It is worth pointing out though that the report that was leaked the other day did show that the forces that had the biggest cuts in numbers didnt have the biggest rises in crime - so its a tough one to claim that fewer cops = more crime.

Fully agree on social care - think the bloke in the story posted alluded to this and the lack of a father figure which is also just as important as much as wanting the government to do everything - parenting is where it starts.

Now im not sure how many of us have been in such a situation as the bloke in the story states but if he is a legit guy and is speaking from experience then he knows exactly whats what and surely if someone who has been there and done that states that the music gets them hyper to go out and do shit then should we all really brush it aside and say no it doesnt - especially if none of us have been in that situation so we have no idea?
S8
  • Total Posts : 19252
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 12:08:14 (permalink)
geordie007
darkmatter

It is worth pointing out though that the report that was leaked the other day did show that the forces that had the biggest cuts in numbers didnt have the biggest rises in crime - so its a tough one to claim that fewer cops = more crime.

Fully agree on social care - think the bloke in the story posted alluded to this and the lack of a father figure which is also just as important as much as wanting the government to do everything - parenting is where it starts.

Now im not sure how many of us have been in such a situation as the bloke in the story states but if he is a legit guy and is speaking from experience then he knows exactly whats what and surely if someone who has been there and done that states that the music gets them hyper to go out and do shit then should we all really brush it aside and say no it doesnt - especially if none of us have been in that situation so we have no idea?

Be interesting to know of this metric is also linked to population growth etc
_Nearly 50 FFS_
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 12:46:18 (permalink)
geordie007

I get your point entirely, I'd suggest that it is the message that's helping to cause the violence, not the medium - what people are choosing to say to each other, rival faction v rival faction, not the actual choice of music they are using with which to do this? 

I'm 30 odd years older than those involved in this of course, so my perspective is totally different, but history tells us that rap has always had a confrontational, bragging element to it - and what people choose to say via rap could in threory cause no end of shit...

When it was NWA talking about police brutality, beatings, harassment, shootings in the late 80s that was a clearly defined and needed commentary. If at the time instead the crips and bloods rapped/cussed at each other, provoking inter-gang hatred violence then we wouldn't be able to say that. In NY at least hip hop calmed down gang warfare in the late 70s, it didn't stir it up.

In those days there was no social media of course - you needed a recording studio/label/radio/dj play to get your message out there, not like now - a phone and a youtube account is all you need.

Majik
  • Total Posts : 41338
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 12:50:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby KNUCKLES 2018/04/11 13:57:18
Buss live corn at an op boi

Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9354
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 12:52:57 (permalink)
I probably steal more onions if I'm listening to Reekz in sainsburys tbf
_Nearly 50 FFS_
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 13:49:15 (permalink)
Them boy there neek, shed game on fleek
BARONBREAKS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 13:59:09 (permalink)
some great points made lads
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18359
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 14:20:02 (permalink)
geordie007

Yes I'd expect wealth to be a far more accurate indicator than police cuts, and I wouldn't expect them to make the most aggressive cuts in areas that are suffering the largest rises in crime.

_Nearly 50 FFS_
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 14:25:14 (permalink)
darkmatter
geordie007

Yes I'd expect wealth to be a far more accurate indicator than police cuts, and I wouldn't expect them to make the most aggressive cuts in areas that are suffering the largest rises in crime.

http://newsthump.com/2018...to-financial-district/
SW14
  • Total Posts : 11410
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 14:29:58 (permalink)
Is there actually a violent crime wave in London?

I thought the London murder rate had been pretty stable and these news headlines were more relative to New York's falling. 
shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24514
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 14:43:03 (permalink)
Probably that and the media getting over excited about the fact that there was 2 shootings in a day.

It seems like the whole video games encouraging violence thing to me. Wild accusations with no real evidence made by people with fuck all understanding of either subject when, chances are, the opposite is true.
post edited by shroomy - 2018/04/11 14:45:13
dreamworld
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 14:44:13 (permalink)
56 murders so far in 2018, I think that constitutes a problem..
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 5737
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 14:50:40 (permalink)
darkmatter

This tbh. 

Music has always been blamed in one way or another for inciting violence throughout different periods but it's just an easy out. There's always going to be some people influenced by what they hear but there are much bigger contributing factors, imo. 
dreamworld
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 14:53:21 (permalink)
shroomy
Wild accusations with no real evidence made by people with fuck all understanding of either subject

Did you read the article? lol
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 30459
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 14:58:56 (permalink)
The strange thing about the 'widening wealth gap' is that EXACTLY the same thing has happened with criminals.

The whole drug game has changed massively over 10 years. People at the top have got it locked and there's pretty much no chance of making decent money which leaves everyone else scrapping around at the bottom over pennies. People are getting more and more desperate, which means you end up with people doing more and more wild and reckless shit because they're skint.

Some of these kiddies would still be running around killing each other even if they had dough, but it wouldn't be happening quite as much. Nobody wants to risk 30 years when they're earning 5 grand a week.The smaller the pie, the more viciously people fight over it.

_Nearly 50 FFS_
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 15:06:01 (permalink)
Lrrr
The smaller the pie, the more viciously people fight over it.

Good sentence, I'm going to try and use it as much as I can, whatever the context.
Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44147
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 15:22:42 (permalink)
If you don't think this sort of thing is a contributing factor, along with the bigger picture stuff on policing and investment, you're daft. It all feeds into the same melting pot.

BORT
  • Total Posts : 72
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 15:23:02 (permalink)
Majik
Buss live corn at an op boi

Kimanchi - Never Can Tell used to turn Marcus-Darkus from a docile pill head to a militant skeng man in an instant
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 30459
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 15:28:14 (permalink)
Just listened to a few bits on YT. Blah blag my mans got a gun blah blah mans shot an O blah blah.

I'm so glad I'm old and past this shit.

RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 93853
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 15:48:42 (permalink)
If this shit music takes the media focus and the scumbags away from grime then carry on. It kind of reminds me of Grime in the early days but it's become a lot more professional and most of the scumbags got some money and grew up.
KNUCKLES
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 18:14:39 (permalink)
The new way to gain clout online is to make a vid of you walking through opp areas lol
People love to watch the fuckshit.

KNUCKLES
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 18:21:28 (permalink)
Chicago and the whole birth of chiraq/drill scene has clearly had a massive effect on the culture over here too.
Once 300 & 600 blew up in Chicago, nearly every music gang or area started calling themselves numbers 67, 86, 410. Or call their London towns after Chicago/US areas: harlem, raq, a town, dBlock lolol
Majik
  • Total Posts : 41338
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 19:51:10 (permalink)
Niggas been banging since Eurogang and PDC it ain’t new.

Shank shank bang bang was mobbing in what 03?

RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 93853
Re: Drill rap ‘fuelling London violent crime wave’ 2018/04/11 19:56:02 (permalink)
It's all pretty cringeworthy really lol
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0