Helpful ReplyHot!Hard times

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Autograff
  • Total Posts : 11873
Re: Hard times 2018/03/12 09:35:37 (permalink)
Unfortunately my grandad slipped off yesterday morning, in his sleep which I guess is one of the better ways to go. Not the best mothers day for my mum ever but she's taking it well. Dunno why I wanted to post it here, closure maybe. 
21 21
  • Total Posts : 6178
Re: Hard times 2018/03/12 09:41:42 (permalink)
sorry to hear that man. 

my dad's mum passed recently and my dad took it really well. she went quite quickly and wasn't in too much pain I don't think. I think that helped. a peaceful passing is so much easier to deal with than a long drawn out affair. 

was round at my parents place yesterday morning for some mother's day breakfast and my mum and dad were both a bit sad at the thought that none of their parents were alive anymore. must be a weird feeling - not one I'm looking forward to at all - my parents are awesome, I hope they live for a long time yet. 
Autograff
Re: Hard times 2018/03/12 11:05:34 (permalink)
Yeah it was kind of like that with my mum yesterday, realisation that she no longer has any parents. Not looking forward to it at all. 
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11187
Re: Hard times 2018/03/12 11:28:03 (permalink)
Sorry to hear that Graff bud
LHC
  • Total Posts : 7375
Re: Hard times 2018/03/12 12:27:38 (permalink)
Sorry to hear that man

RIP
shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24564
Re: Hard times 2018/03/13 03:48:55 (permalink)
My Dad is terminally ill with cancer and is currently unable to look after himself. I've had to watch him drift in and out of consciousness almost solidly for the last few days and nights as he is unable to get any meaningful sleep most of the time. The sedatives that he's been getting only seems to do so much and, while he seems more comfortable when he is on them, they do very little to prevent him from being disturbed every 30 seconds.

Thankfully tonight has been a lot better than the last few days but it is killing me to see him like this, it's by far the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. My thoughts go out to anyone who has been or is in a similar situation.
S8
  • Total Posts : 19570
Re: Hard times 2018/03/13 08:32:45 (permalink)
shroomy
My Dad is terminally ill with cancer and is currently unable to look after himself. I've had to watch him drift in and out of consciousness almost solidly for the last few days and nights as he is unable to get any meaningful sleep most of the time. The sedatives that he's been getting only seems to do so much and, while he seems more comfortable when he is on them, they do very little to prevent him from being disturbed every 30 seconds.

Thankfully tonight has been a lot better than the last few days but it is killing me to see him like this, it's by far the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. My thoughts go out to anyone who has been or is in a similar situation.

Sorry to hear this Shroomy - been through it twice with both parents. There is not much I can say that'll console you, other than there is a strange and huge relief when the inevitable does happen. You'll sleep like a log the day after as you aren't subconsciously waiting for a phonecall (I found I did).
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12868
Re: Hard times 2018/03/13 09:03:50 (permalink)
Seeing someone you love go through such a gruelling process with such brutal effects on their appearance is harrowing. Sorry to hear you are going through this. 

Autograff
Re: Hard times 2018/03/13 14:22:47 (permalink)
Sorry to hear it Shroomy 
Geordie007
  • Total Posts : 20556
Re: Hard times 2018/03/13 16:01:09 (permalink)
Sorry to hear that shroomy must be awful to go through shit like that with your folks.

Grandparents I've dealt with ok through the years but it's been really close friends who I've lost over the last few years hats ruined me. Can't imagine the pain you must being going through
Innit786
  • Total Posts : 305
Re: Hard times 2018/03/13 20:35:57 (permalink)
shroomy

Sorry to hear that shroomy and daz (and anyone else sharing their thoughts on here sorry I'm on mobile so bit shit to upscroll)

Shroomy that shit hits hard with.me. I know mentioned about dad but I thought my mum would.go 1st. She has a cancer called myeloma. Basically a less aggressive form of leukaemia, but totally incurable. She got diagnosed about 8 years ago. The predicted lifespan is 10 years. She also has Parkinson's. I'm such a rickmansworth of morbidness. Lol
shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24564
Re: Hard times 2018/03/31 04:27:16 (permalink)
Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it. Me and my mum have been looking after him ourselves at home so I've been seeing pretty much everything for myself and tbh it has been extremely stressful and a little traumatic at times. It has to be done though, no way would we have him in a hospice or whatever especially given our experiences so far.

It's been a little more positive over the last week or so as he has recovered somewhat. The reason he had suddenly became unable to get around the house was a result of internal bleeding caused by the steroids he was prescribed. Whenever he tried to walk around he would almost immediately become breathless and it would take him a good 5-10 minutes to recover. Thankfully this is not so much of a problem now and he has been getting himself out to the kitchen and cook his own food with little assistance, we even managed to get him out of the house to visit his Aunt which I didn't think would be possible a couple of weeks ago. 

The reason why he couldn't sleep or stay awake seems to be a direct result of the hospital mattress that we were provided, one of those things that's basically a less comfortable lilo. I was saying the thing was unfit for purpose and unnecessary from day dot but kept hearing the same bollocks about bedsores and whatnot. After nearly a week of watching him get sedated on a cocktail of drugs over and over with little benefit I decided enough was enough and sources out my own normal mattress against the advice of literally everyone. Best thing I ever did, the next day he was a completely different person sleeping normally and no longer consistently falling unconscious after within seconds of waking up.

While that week was a complete headfuck for everyone involved I can take some comfort in the fact that he remembers very little of it. He may still be too weak to risk going upstairs and, of course, the overall situation has not changed but given the state he was in almost feels like finding a cure. I know that things will get harder gain later on down the line but I'm more than grateful for the time I've got now because I could easily have lost it.
mstoilettits
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Hard times 2018/03/31 04:34:10 (permalink)
I had the same problem when my dad died aswell. my mum & sisters pull shitty faces if I ever bring him up in conversation and stuff. Its grim.
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16824
Re: Hard times 2018/03/31 06:50:45 (permalink)
It’s a harrowing thought that nearly everyone has to go through losing parents in their life. My old man died about 6 months ago from a heart attack at 60. Which is a bit too young for me despite his Scottish way of living (smoking, shit food and lots of alcohol.) it’s a cliche but time does make it better.

Got annoying things to deal with like selling the house, telling banks to fuck off, and sorting all the stuff in the house out. But it’s part of the grievance process. Just got a tattoo in his honour yesterday!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0