ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories...
Andy C gets a bit of stick on here for the direction his label has gone and his tune selection at the big raves etc.
I have to say he is a personal musical hero of mine. Something about him is just pure vibes. I'm always buzzing when Andy C is playing somewhere. The sound of GQ/Andy (RIP) limbering up for a set used to send shivers down my spine.
Being at a dance and you suddenly hear in GQ’s booming voice:"right right right about now, I'd like to introduce my next DJ. Representing Ram Recordings, it's the Executioner - Mr Andy motherfucking CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!" followed by some sick triple drop, reload, chaos etc.
Some personal nostalgia from down the years:
- Seeing him 3 nights in a row once at Fabric, Bristol and then Valve sound system. Won two backstage tickets off here and said I'd seen him consecutively and he couldn't believe it.
- It's a long story but I was having an affair with my married boss in my first ever job. She was a proper wreckhead (she's now a professional dominatrix, madly enough) but I had finally got her to a rave to see Andy. She had bought me Pickett Line VIP on vinyl as a birthday present cos I loved that tune. She's Canadian and dipped her toes into the waters of DnB through me but it wasn’t really her scene and she was a bit older. So, Fabric, upstairs bar, 20 minutes before Andy. Turn next to me and he's queuing up for a pint. I said "Andy mate you ain't got Pickett Line in the bag have you?" He goes "course I have bruv". On the balcony with the bird, buzzing for Andy and he only opens with Pickett Line. Went mental, was a lovely little personal moment - for the bird as well who ended up really enjoying herself.
- Glade festival (first one). Aldermaston. Incredible, incredible festival back then. The vibes and levels of drug fuelled depravity but amazing people and music were something else. Anyway, it was the wettest day in 100 years, the site was a swamp before we even arrived and there was talk of whether the festival would be cancelled. Andy C was the only DnB all weekend amongst the sea of Psytrance, techno, electro etc and I was well excited to see him. Rumoured to be unable to attend due to the weather and missed his set time. Saw the cunt on the back of a wagon whilst off my nut and it was an unreal touch. The generator went in the middle of his set and I said "don't you dare go, this is the only DnB all weekend" and he said "is it? I'm not going anywhere." An hour later it came back on and he finished his set and smashed the granny out of it.
- Glade festival (second one). I had just jibbed @KNUCKLES off here through the door with a moody wristband, we did a pill and got to the Vapour tent for the closing set of the whole festival. The vibes in there were unreal. Opened with Original Sin - Ransom double drop and the place went off, ended with Fresh behind the decks skanking out to Planet Dust. After he’d finished the set he chucked some lagers into the crowd from his rider, one of which landed in my hand which was a touch at the front of a tent.
- The 7 hour set at Fabric. One of the most amazing DNB nights I've ever been to. I had been with a bird the night before in Hoxton so was still in a suit, Fabric nearly didn't let me in. I wasn't intending to go but went as a spur of the moment thing. Ended up on the stage behind the decks looking completely out of place just in awe of the whole thing. A really special night.
- The XOYO thing. It was sick - reminded me of the old days when he used to play places like Run @ Native in front of 250 people. It was my leaving do before I went to Berlin. He is one of those "soundtrack to my life" points of reference kind of people for me.
Generally his energy, genuine passion and talent is unmatched. He's a credit to DnB and we are lucky to have him (as he is with DnB!)
Absolute sickhead imo. They say you should never meet your heroes, but whenever I have he has been exactly what you would hope from him - whether that’s a brief chat or helping to ID a tune for you. Really humble, a bit of a cainer, nice and engaged. Just a chap
Hold tight the Andy, Andy, Andy, Andy C.
post edited by SW14 - 2018/01/12 07:26:03