Helpful ReplyHot!ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories...

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
SW14
  • Total Posts : 13576
2018/01/11 22:30:26 (permalink)

ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories...

Andy C gets a bit of stick on here for the direction his label has gone and his tune selection at the big raves etc.

I have to say he is a personal musical hero of mine. Something about him is just pure vibes. I'm always buzzing when Andy C is playing somewhere. The sound of GQ/Andy (RIP) limbering up for a set used to send shivers down my spine.

Being at a dance and you suddenly hear in GQ’s booming voice:"right right right about now, I'd like to introduce my next DJ. Representing Ram Recordings, it's the Executioner - Mr Andy motherfucking CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!" followed by some sick triple drop, reload, chaos etc.

Some personal nostalgia from down the years:

- Seeing him 3 nights in a row once at Fabric, Bristol and then Valve sound system. Won two backstage tickets off here and said I'd seen him consecutively and he couldn't believe it.

- It's a long story but I was having an affair with my married boss in my first ever job. She was a proper wreckhead (she's now a professional dominatrix, madly enough) but I had finally got her to a rave to see Andy. She had bought me Pickett Line VIP on vinyl as a birthday present cos I loved that tune. She's Canadian and dipped her toes into the waters of DnB through me but it wasn’t really her scene and she was a bit older. So, Fabric, upstairs bar, 20 minutes before Andy. Turn next to me and he's queuing up for a pint. I said "Andy mate you ain't got Pickett Line in the bag have you?" He goes "course I have bruv". On the balcony with the bird, buzzing for Andy and he only opens with Pickett Line. Went mental, was a lovely little personal moment - for the bird as well who ended up really enjoying herself.

- Glade festival (first one). Aldermaston. Incredible, incredible festival back then. The vibes and levels of drug fuelled depravity but amazing people and music were something else. Anyway, it was the wettest day in 100 years, the site was a swamp before we even arrived and there was talk of whether the festival would be cancelled. Andy C was the only DnB all weekend amongst the sea of Psytrance, techno, electro etc and I was well excited to see him. Rumoured to be unable to attend due to the weather and missed his set time. Saw the cunt on the back of a wagon whilst off my nut and it was an unreal touch. The generator went in the middle of his set and I said "don't you dare go, this is the only DnB all weekend" and he said "is it? I'm not going anywhere." An hour later it came back on and he finished his set and smashed the granny out of it.

- Glade festival (second one). I had just jibbed @KNUCKLES off here through the door with a moody wristband, we did a pill and got to the Vapour tent for the closing set of the whole festival. The vibes in there were unreal. Opened with Original Sin - Ransom double drop and the place went off, ended with Fresh behind the decks skanking out to Planet Dust. After he’d finished the set he chucked some lagers into the crowd from his rider, one of which landed in my hand which was a touch at the front of a tent.

- The 7 hour set at Fabric. One of the most amazing DNB nights I've ever been to. I had been with a bird the night before in Hoxton so was still in a suit, Fabric nearly didn't let me in. I wasn't intending to go but went as a spur of the moment thing. Ended up on the stage behind the decks looking completely out of place just in awe of the whole thing. A really special night.

- The XOYO thing. It was sick - reminded me of the old days when he used to play places like Run @ Native in front of 250 people. It was my leaving do before I went to Berlin. He is one of those "soundtrack to my life" points of reference kind of people for me.

Generally his energy, genuine passion and talent is unmatched. He's a credit to DnB and we are lucky to have him (as he is with DnB!)

Absolute sickhead imo. They say you should never meet your heroes, but whenever I have he has been exactly what you would hope from him - whether that’s a brief chat or helping to ID a tune for you. Really humble, a bit of a cainer, nice and engaged. Just a chap

Hold tight the Andy, Andy, Andy, Andy C.

Absolutely rolling.
post edited by SW14 - 2018/01/12 07:26:03
Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 3909
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/11 22:44:45 (permalink)
Weirdly enough I never listened to his Skelter tapes and always swapped them when I was bang into the RAM music and his style of mixing. I loved all the RAM tunes that I heard on other sets and didnt realise they were him until years later when I was buying vinyl
SW14
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/11 22:50:26 (permalink)
I just love the bloke. So integral to the scene and in my opinion a great ambassador. I love the passion. You meet so many cunts in the scene who don’t even like the music and just phone it in for a paycheque. Andy absolutely loves it, after a RAM night I overheard him telling someone he mixes at home for 5 hours a day.

Every one of us bedroom DJ's used to copy his mannerisms and mixing style.

You're right, you do sometimes forget the production side of things (and I'm swiping off the Radio 1 cheese recent releases that I doubt are even made by him.)
post edited by SW14 - 2018/01/12 08:50:58
SW14
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/11 22:52:59 (permalink)
One other thing - he signed a very good mate of mine from nowhere. I grew up with this guy and was working with him in the summer with him doing gardening for minimum wage. He was always a good producer but was knocking 30 and it kind of gets to that point of "I'm an aspiring musician, I just do this to keep things ticking over" where you think you are going nowhere and wasting your life.

He hadn't had any release on anything, no minor labels. Andy rings him up one day out of the blue, says "where are you?" picks him up in his motor and drives him to Ram and signs him on a 3 album deal. Obviously it was his talent that got him signed but I just thought that was sick of Andy. Launched him into orbit.

He now travels the world and has the sickest life going. What I'd love to do, my dream.
MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 6379
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/11 23:18:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RAYZA 2018/01/11 23:33:50
Are you yag for Andy?
Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44369
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/11 23:20:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jamie S23 2018/01/12 10:50:10
How much shovel have you done?

gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 23153
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/11 23:26:22 (permalink)
Someone's had a pureo kind of day 

Who is your mate that Andy signed!?
MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 17373
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/11 23:26:43 (permalink)
Fuckinghell what Rhys said, but also..

..agreed. 

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
SW14
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/11 23:36:03 (permalink)
I haven't been to bed since Tuesday. Was reminiscing with an ex-girlfriend (had to get out of jail after trying to talk pureo riddled filth about 10 year old outlandish sex acts at 2am to her) about Glade and Andy turning up on the back of his wagon and how buzzing we were. I then thought the bloke has been present at some of the best moments of my life and for all the sneering about the crowds at Ram and the commercial sound, he is a legend.

post edited by SW14 - 2018/01/11 23:37:33
gutlessrhyme
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/11 23:39:01 (permalink)
I sense a live Brothel visit on the cards 
SW14
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/11 23:41:24 (permalink)
Shovel ran out a couple of hours or so ago tbf. That post was probably more GHB infused, with some pureo remnants coursing about for good measure. So yes, I have done a reasonable amount of drugs - you're only 32 once. Let's establish that fact and then I'm sure some of you must have some amazing times from him down the years. I dread to think how many times I've seen him live.

Why can't you edit original posts? I should probably have re-read before I posted, I would have structed a couple of things a bit better but the gist remains.

post edited by SW14 - 2018/01/11 23:55:44
Flow Joe
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/11 23:52:23 (permalink)
Grade
  • Total Posts : 18526
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 00:00:06 (permalink)

M.F.
  • Total Posts : 6429
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 00:14:49 (permalink)
This thread isn’t gay whatsoever ...

LOL

SW14
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 00:17:31 (permalink)
Andy C is my man crush. Deal with it, you cunt.
post edited by SW14 - 2018/01/12 00:46:24
gutlessrhyme
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 00:19:23 (permalink)
SW14
Why can't you edit original posts? 

Load it up on your mobile and it'll let you
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3435
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 00:23:21 (permalink)
Who is your mate he signed?
gutlessrhyme
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 00:38:44 (permalink)
Whowhere
Who is your mate he signed?

Jason Status
SW14
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 01:09:49 (permalink)
Thinking of getting another Henry in and making this a little series. Gone down a treat. 

Handsome B Wonderful
  • Total Posts : 11986
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 03:34:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noc 2018/01/12 06:40:17
It's good that ikos lives on through your ghb fuelled rambles.
Whitey
  • Total Posts : 9998
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 05:07:08 (permalink)

CTRL + ALT + WHITEY
Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44369
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 07:14:53 (permalink)
As long as you stay out of the politics thread, SW14 has become one of the best people on here lol

I love Andy too m8. Not for any specific reason, he's just the bestest inn'ee

dreamworld
  • Total Posts : 5169
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 07:21:09 (permalink)
Was talking about exactly this with a mate yesterday. The upshot for me was pre 2002 - my hero. Post 2002, take it or leave it. What he achieved with RAM / Desired State / Origin Unknown 92-02 though is incredible and so much of it still sounds amazing today.
SW14
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 07:29:44 (permalink)
Syhr
As long as you stay out of the politics thread, SW14 has become one of the best people on here lol

I love Andy too m8. Not for any specific reason, he's just the bestest inn'ee

He has something about him where he opens the set with a tune and the whole place would explode. Another middling DJ opens with the same tune later or another night and it’s pedestrian.

Just cos it’s Andy C.
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16936
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 08:46:15 (permalink)
Andy C and GQ at Exit Festival 2009. It was just everything. Venue, vibes and pure raving. There’s a set flying around and Andy even says it’s one the best he’s played.

Also saw him at the last ever Phat festival in the middle of a New Zealand rainforest. He was the main headliner who they flew out in a helicopter. Festival was only about 3-4000 people strong. So it was a big moment when he arrived! Apart from a few cheesy tunes, it was amazing being right at the front watching him with a mountain view surrounding us
dreamworld
  • Total Posts : 5169
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 08:48:45 (permalink)
That sounds pretty awesome.
SW14
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 08:48:46 (permalink)
Tell you one I would have loved to have seen - his set at Burning Man.
badder2
  • Total Posts : 2372
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 08:59:20 (permalink)
Yes SW14  

Thread has inspired me to rinse this out in the office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QgKMTgZoH8

HYPER D over turbulence 

HOLLLDDD ONNN WAIT A MINUTTEEEEE 
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 28047
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 09:07:45 (permalink)
I was listening to his Xtra Bass at Breakneck with 2shy. That’s a nice one.
MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 17373
Re: ANDY C Appreciation thread/nostalgic memories... 2018/01/12 09:14:08 (permalink)
Might as well start drawing for the classic vids then..

Never get tired of watching these things.

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0