Helpful ReplyHot!Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be...

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 20
Author
skwifffer
  • Total Posts : 1302
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/14 20:54:42 (permalink)
Really sad news. As everyone's said, he seemed a good, genuine guy. I always liked his creative output.

RIP Ikos
F L Y
  • Total Posts : 7456
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/14 22:13:29 (permalink)
RIP IKOS

[image]

are you joking??

it looks like she's got a little cock!

Proctophobic since 1969.
SW14
  • Total Posts : 9634
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/14 22:19:47 (permalink)
Oversight
Yeah thats something that’s being discussed too. Tbh i know he’d absolutely have loved one of his tunes on vinyl, as far as a digital release goes pretty sure that could be handled for minimal expense what with the talent and contacts etc on this place

Another idea floating about is an exhibition of his art which would also be awesome imo

His last tune pressed on wax with his artwork as the sleeve would be 🔥🔥🔥

Wonder what that would be for a limited release.
Captain Diabetes
  • Total Posts : 1327
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 05:39:49 (permalink)
fucking hell. rip
Leg Warmer
  • Total Posts : 14504
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 10:59:54 (permalink)
Tragic news 
S8
  • Total Posts : 18750
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 12:27:06 (permalink)
geordie007
Id be up for that and one or two of his prints. I really wanted him to paint a wall for me too. Wish id actually got round to calling him after he reached out when i was in a bad place

IKOS
I saw your posts talking about what a rough time you've been having and I just wanted to check in and say hello. If I can ever do anything to help just ask and I'll do it. I know how you feel mate trust me, it's obvious from my post history on here that I've suffered with some ridiculously testing levels of mental ill health over the years and i'm still on meds now for depression and anxiety but i'm getting by and things do get better.

Don't suffer in silence man, if you ever need to talk and there's no one around feel free to give me a bell, any time of the day or night ***********. It might be easier to natter to some random off the internet than someone close to you so stick it in your phone and use it if you ever need to.

Stay strong mate, For fuck sake just don't ever give up.

Late night or daytime on mixlr hed always be on always appreciating anything i threw at him from abstract jazz or techno and properly having a chat.

Probably shouldnt have thought about him passing as much as i have really but thats how i remember him ^^^ always wanting to help people including those he never met from a big yellow webpage.

This thread has hit me right in the feels after reading that, I rarely spoke to him but it is evident that a decent bloke was lost. I always enjoyed his artwork, and having just listened to Courage, should have checked his production. 

Rest in peace, Ikos

(+1 on the GoFundMe whip round if it gets setup).
Law
  • Total Posts : 63075
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 15:52:21 (permalink)
I could help with a vinyl release but it's an expensive and long winded affair. We'd need to put up over a grand for 300 run with full artwork. Artwork makes the process a lot more expensive, and no one does full artwork runs for less than 300 units.

Any sales could go to family, but to be brutally honest you'd probably best of just giving that grand straight family as the chances of recouping it is slim.
Asian Babe
  • Total Posts : 10933
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:00:34 (permalink)
Going by the posts on this thread and on FB I don't think getting a couple of grand together would be unrealistic :)

RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 11899
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:06:53 (permalink)
Law
I could help with a vinyl release but it's an expensive and long winded affair. We'd need to put up over a grand for 300 run with full artwork. Artwork makes the process a lot more expensive, and no one does full artwork runs for less than 300 units.

Any sales could go to family, but to be brutally honest you'd probably best of just giving that grand straight family as the chances of recouping it is slim.

Thanks for the reality check Law.  

I don't know his family or what they think about getting a grand in cash over seeing one of their boy's tunes on wax in a sleeve he designed, but I'm reminded of- forgive me the pompous reference lol- Sartre's book Nausea when thinking about it. 

The protagonist bangs on incessantly about the meaninglessness of life all the way through, it's quite wearing. Then he discovers this Jazz record, and it offers him a way out of the trap he is in every time he plays it. The record is a snap shot of an event in time, but also a vehicle for making a moment last forever, or at least as long as the record is in existence. The singer, the pianist, the songwriter- they are all active players in the tapestry of life while the record spins, even though they are all long since dead or whatever. 

“A few seconds more and the Negress will sing. It seems inevitable, so strong is the necessity of this music: nothing can interrupt it, nothing which comes from this time in which the world has fallen; it will stop by itself, as if by order. If I love this beautiful voice it is especially because of that: it is neither for its fullness nor its sadness, rather because it is the event for which so many notes have been preparing, from so far away, dying that it might be born. And yet I am troubled; it would take so little to make the record stop: a broken spring, the whim of Cousin Adolphe. How strange it is, how moving, that this hardness should be so fragile. Nothing can interrupt it yet it can break it. 
The last chord has died away. In the brief silence which follows I feel strongly that there is, that SOMETHING HAS HAPPENED.
Silence.
"SOME OF THESE DAYS
YOU'LL MISS ME HONEY”

Know what I mean? Fucking hope you do anyway. 

SW14
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:11:57 (permalink)
Law

Could we pull a grand on here?
Law
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:12:54 (permalink)
No idea. Then you would need to work how and who would sell them. A lot to think about.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:14:37 (permalink)
Law
No idea. Then you would need to work how and who would sell them. A lot to think about.

I'll find you another pretentious quote that will make it all really easy if you like? 

Law
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:16:00 (permalink)
lol Dave

This might actually be a better option. Easier to crowd source and handle the money.

https://qrates.com/ 

Law
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:19:50 (permalink)
Looking into it, qrates is definitely the way to go. They do short runs with artwork. If it's just about getting the vinyl out there (and not proceeds from sales), we could set the price per vinyl near cost.

https://qrates.com/vinylize 

But I still think tracks would need to be mastered. I still have the master files for the four tracker he did with us actually...
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:20:14 (permalink)
That looks ideal mate, we can keep it tidy and get an idea of what an IKOS record would cost

post edited by RUSSELL CLARTY - 2017/11/15 16:21:38

Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 27111
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:26:53 (permalink)
In for this and something to give to his family, whatever and however it is done.

Seems right.
Law
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:31:29 (permalink)
A rough price for qrates, for 100 run, full colour labels, full colour sleeve, is £823.00, so £8.23 base cost per unit.

Or 200 run, £966.00, so  £4.83 per unit.

The money is all in the set up costs. Actual vinyl is pretty cheap. 
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:43:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sectionate 2017/11/15 16:45:52
I've sure I can find a tenner for an IKOS jam on vinyl. 

SW14
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:44:05 (permalink)
Jungle Dave

Me too.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:47:46 (permalink)
That's £20 in promises Law, it's going to be a doddle. 

Hope there is room under the squeaky floorboard for all that cash

DasItMane
  • Total Posts : 1266
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 16:50:28 (permalink)
SW14
Jungle Dave

Me too.

Me three
shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24457
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 17:06:13 (permalink)
I'll have one too.
Law
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 17:11:59 (permalink)
Maybe someone closest to him, production-wise, can help select two tracks first? 
SW14
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 17:16:04 (permalink)
Shall we set up a gofundme page thingy? Get the ball rolling?

I'm sure a wax release adorned with his art funded by the banana board would be a legacy he would be very touched by.

#feels
Buscemi Eyes
  • Total Posts : 2938
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 17:18:14 (permalink)
I'll happily buy whatever you guys set up.
Law
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 17:19:07 (permalink)
SW14
Shall we set up a gofundme page thingy? Get the ball rolling?
#feels

Nah no need, because Qrates handles the funding part of the vinyl press. Here's an example of how it would look: https://qrates.com/artists/bigsmokinjoe/items/14615 - you can clearly see how far the record has until funding target is reached.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 17:21:19 (permalink)
That's really good. Nice one 

dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 4938
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 17:27:01 (permalink)
Put me down for one for sure.
Jonesy.
  • Total Posts : 7925
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 17:29:28 (permalink)
dazdsb
Put me down for one for sure.

+ 1

Griff
  • Total Posts : 8521
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/15 17:32:34 (permalink)
Yeah I like this idea too, I'm down
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 20
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0