Helpful ReplyHot!Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be...

Page: << < ..212223 Showing page 23 of 23
Author
Piggle
  • Total Posts : 8732
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/24 20:59:13 (permalink)
I haven’t posted here for a while. It feels so bittersweet that the reason I joined this forum is currently the same reason that gives me cause to make a post.

Ikos was a genuine soul.
I never met him but we exchanged messages on here. He was always so supportive towards me & I would lecture him, tell him to not get so offended by others disagreeable points of view. He would take every comment so very personally. I always felt like he was unduly carrying the weight of the world and every unreasonable opinion on his shoulders.
RIP Ikos
post edited by Piggle - 2017/11/24 21:18:34
Geordie007
  • Total Posts : 20276
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/24 21:46:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noc 2017/11/26 06:16:01
Subsurface

Labels as they stand. I managed to get IKOS's font in there.

Amazing work.
Godfrey Tweeed
  • Total Posts : 1612
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/24 22:04:46 (permalink)

Amazing
Eazyflow
  • Total Posts : 3316
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/25 22:07:39 (permalink)
Just heard about this through wastebook.

Like some others, I didn't have any interaction with him personally, but I've seen him be a big part of the forum for many years. Sorry to hear that he's passed. RIP.

OLD SKOOL FOR SALE:

"If you don't know the roots from the trunk of the tree, you won't know the branches or what the fruit will b
Geordie007
  • Total Posts : 20276
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/26 02:43:26 (permalink)
Ahh man just having a play of records and played a couple of house and techno tracks i know he liked and then some broken hing which he raved about when i first played it him.

Many feels right now but all good
TopNotch
  • Total Posts : 5775
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/28 16:41:41 (permalink)
:lighter:
alaskamick
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/29 11:35:23 (permalink)
Michael Haig 

Thank you all for your amazing response to this appeal. Can we remind everyone that you are all welcome to attend Richard's funeral on Fri 8th Dec at 11.15am, Streetly Crematorium. Please, no flowers, we are asking instead for donations to this charity. Also, we would like you to wear cheerful colours rather that black. Thank you all again for your support, Love Pam & Mike.
drudus
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/11/30 05:42:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 0-AID 2017/11/30 14:33:30
Subsurface

Nice artwork, at the risk of being a pedant…

The font Rich designed was intended to be 2 colours, the outline with a solid fill. If you check his posts on Da Font you can see him trying to work out how to do that. Obviously that isn't possible with standard fonts due to technical limitations hence the reason he made 2 typefaces to mash together (and what appears to be the usual 'IKOS + internet' hilarity ensued in that forum :^) ). You'll need to alter the scaling to get it to work as his two fonts don't match up. 

Here is a rough example, I had to also added a stroke around the fill as it seems to be fractionally smaller than the outline. I altered the tracking to make it align (I used 87 in Photoshop vs the default -20 for the outline).
I can't work images or links in this forum, delete the spaces around the first s
http s ://www.dropbox.com/s/kiwsvkqaxrntj0b/IKOS.jpg

I wonder if you may want to use whatever version of his logo that you can get in a large format instead of the font version? As far as I can tell his image here says IKOS at the bottom - I'm not sure if Rich used that for his identity & I can't figure out what the text above it says, sorry. It seems more appropriate to my eyes, perhaps one of his friends or family know what the other text says?

FYI.
I used to hang out with Rich when we were teenagers. Recently I only saw him a few times when out drinking in the same local bars. I had no idea he was making drum & bass. He was the mac daddy hip hopper & I was into rave nonsense (& pretty much everything on John Peel's show). I think we always enjoyed rubbing each other the wrong way, obnoxious teenagers always know best. 

It saddens me to only learn about his music under these circumstances, he managed to always make his artwork seem so effortless. It would have been nice to talk shit about music with him. It seems like he enjoyed posting here so it's nice to see all the nice things you (and he) wrote.

My condolences to his family & all that knew him. 

Re:co

post edited by drudus - 2017/11/30 05:54:14
Will Mac
  • Total Posts : 15429
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/12/08 17:48:24 (permalink)
Did anyone on here go to his funeral today?

Hope he got the send off he deserved.

R.I.P Ikos
Godfrey Tweeed
  • Total Posts : 1612
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/12/08 18:19:19 (permalink)
willfunk
Did anyone on here go to his funeral today?

oversight posted in the pinned thread will

http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/FindPost/1976088094

Hope he got the send off he deserved.

R.I.P Ikos

yeah, all of that. rest in peace mate.
Fletcher1
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/12/11 12:42:50 (permalink)
drudus
Subsurface

Nice artwork, at the risk of being a pedant…

The font Rich designed was intended to be 2 colours, the outline with a solid fill. If you check his posts on Da Font you can see him trying to work out how to do that. Obviously that isn't possible with standard fonts due to technical limitations hence the reason he made 2 typefaces to mash together (and what appears to be the usual 'IKOS + internet' hilarity ensued in that forum :^) ). You'll need to alter the scaling to get it to work as his two fonts don't match up. 

Here is a rough example, I had to also added a stroke around the fill as it seems to be fractionally smaller than the outline. I altered the tracking to make it align (I used 87 in Photoshop vs the default -20 for the outline).
I can't work images or links in this forum, delete the spaces around the first s
http s ://www.dropbox.com/s/kiwsvkqaxrntj0b/IKOS.jpg

I wonder if you may want to use whatever version of his logo that you can get in a large format instead of the font version? As far as I can tell his image here says IKOS at the bottom - I'm not sure if Rich used that for his identity & I can't figure out what the text above it says, sorry. It seems more appropriate to my eyes, perhaps one of his friends or family know what the other text says?

FYI.
I used to hang out with Rich when we were teenagers. Recently I only saw him a few times when out drinking in the same local bars. I had no idea he was making drum & bass. He was the mac daddy hip hopper & I was into rave nonsense (& pretty much everything on John Peel's show). I think we always enjoyed rubbing each other the wrong way, obnoxious teenagers always know best. 

It saddens me to only learn about his music under these circumstances, he managed to always make his artwork seem so effortless. It would have been nice to talk shit about music with him. It seems like he enjoyed posting here so it's nice to see all the nice things you (and he) wrote.

My condolences to his family & all that knew him. 

Re:co

The text above is IKOS tag which says IKOS in what he called wild style . He then wrote it again at the bottom so you can see it says IKOS
JayHaig
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/12/12 21:22:50 (permalink)
Hey Fletch, the symbol at the top is a stylised version of the Japanese symbol for 'Soul'. Rich then used the components of this stylisation to compose the elements of 'IKOS' below. Jay
MuzzahD
  • Total Posts : 19556
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/12/21 23:00:15 (permalink)
Just passing through and saw this...

Horrible news 

RIP
sand
  • Total Posts : 1453
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/12/23 06:25:23 (permalink)
Damn, this has really shocked me. R.I.P Ikos
Whitey
  • Total Posts : 9896
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/12/25 19:04:50 (permalink)
Thinking about IKOS and his family today.

CTRL + ALT + WHITEY
LHC
  • Total Posts : 6790
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2017/12/25 19:28:17 (permalink)
Sending my warm Christmas feels to IKOS and those close to him.
_FrenZeE_
  • Total Posts : 4961
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2018/01/11 16:02:27 (permalink)
ah fuck sake... Not logged on in a few years i think and the first thread I see is the Vinyl for IKOS, originally i assumed it was a pisstake on the old IKOs dry your eye comments etc but actually devastated. Reading the comments from his mum and dad actually brought a tear to my eye!!

Gutted I missed out on the vinyl too, but RIP IKOS!
Was stupidly tempted to bag some art and annoyed I didnt, such a talented guy.

Been reading comments such as not another one, and too many lost etc, im so out of touch with this place :( 
MrJingle
  • Total Posts : 6965
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2018/04/06 12:45:05 (permalink)
very sad to just read this, rest in peace
alaskamick
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2018/04/06 14:05:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Duderonomy 2018/04/06 14:08:18
Hello to all of you on this amazing forum.

I'm Mike, IKOS'S Dad.

Today we received Richard's vinyl which has been made possible with the efforts and hard work of many of you. We can't thank the people responsible personally because we don't know who you are.
Just getting back to some sort of normality but when we opened the envelope we just broke down in tears once more. I can't explain the emotions when we saw that stunning piece of work. Richard would have been overjoyed to see what you have created using his art and music which is what he lived for. 
I will frame it and it will be on our wall until we are gone.
Thank you all so much. We will carry the love you have displayed with us for ever.

Thank you - Pam and Mike Haig
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12518
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2018/04/06 14:09:01 (permalink)
Ah Mike, I can't wait to get home and check it out, get it on that wall! 

Keep on trucking Sir...

Love and respect to you both. 

_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 4946
Re: Finding an appropriate thread title was much harder than I thought it would be... 2018/04/06 14:39:48 (permalink)

Big ups Pam and Mike. 
Page: << < ..212223 Showing page 23 of 23
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0