Helpful ReplyHot!Tipping

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 90950
Re: Tipping 2017/10/12 15:39:39 (permalink)
Law
Razor
It's not about the service, it's about their wages being fucking shit

Nah, then you are  kinda reinforcing  the notion its OK to give a shit wage to service workers. I'm not mad keen on topping up wages because an employer doesn't want to pay properly.

If you get utterly shit service do you still tip? Fuck that.

nah course not
Geordie007
  • Total Posts : 19471
Re: Tipping 2017/10/12 15:42:54 (permalink)
dazdsb

His wife was on the verge of going into full-on labour and he still popped into the shop to cut my hair for my wedding day ffs. 

That's got to be worth the two quid tip surely
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 4695
Re: Tipping 2017/10/12 15:44:59 (permalink)
geordie007
dazdsb

His wife was on the verge of going into full-on labour and he still popped into the shop to cut my hair for my wedding day ffs. 

That's got to be worth the two quid tip surely

haha, I took him in a bottle of Prosecco and some cake from the wedding. 

it was a proper legend move from him. 
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 17959
Re: Tipping 2017/10/12 15:48:52 (permalink)
Griff
darkmatter
I paid £19 for a haircut the other day, the lady was clearly surprised I didn't tip after. She can fack off, I was jobless and my normal barbers charge a tenner so she's already getting a massive tip.

If we're following the "well bar staff don't earn much" logic, then they should be giving me a tip on all those occasions when I've paid £4.20 for a pint while being an unemployed.

Did you pay on card?  Surely if you're paying cash you just let em keep the quid?  Not that I'm saying what you should do with your money lol, I get your point in general, it's pretty expensive compared to a lot of places, but I swear barbers etc often charge £9, £14, £19 etc in the hope that people will just let them keep the extra £1.

She was already getting £7 more than my normal barber without doing a better job, dunno why she'd deserve an extra £1 on top of that just because their prices are a bump? Also my normal barbers off my a beer while I have a trim and they didn't 

Griff
  • Total Posts : 8368
Re: Tipping 2017/10/12 16:00:11 (permalink)
darkmatter
Griff
darkmatter
I paid £19 for a haircut the other day, the lady was clearly surprised I didn't tip after. She can fack off, I was jobless and my normal barbers charge a tenner so she's already getting a massive tip.

If we're following the "well bar staff don't earn much" logic, then they should be giving me a tip on all those occasions when I've paid £4.20 for a pint while being an unemployed.

Did you pay on card?  Surely if you're paying cash you just let em keep the quid?  Not that I'm saying what you should do with your money lol, I get your point in general, it's pretty expensive compared to a lot of places, but I swear barbers etc often charge £9, £14, £19 etc in the hope that people will just let them keep the extra £1.

She was already getting £7 more than my normal barber without doing a better job, dunno why she'd deserve an extra £1 on top of that just because their prices are a bump? Also my normal barbers off my a beer while I have a trim and they didn't 

Fair 
Whitey
  • Total Posts : 9251
Re: Tipping 2017/10/12 17:33:54 (permalink)
Whowhere
darkmatter
I paid £19 for a haircut the other day

Someone's got to have the picture saved on their hard drive surely £££

CTRL + ALT + WHITEY
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 2826
Re: Tipping 2017/10/12 17:39:14 (permalink)
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 19243
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 08:39:37 (permalink)
lol

no
WombRaider
  • Total Posts : 7449
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 09:06:22 (permalink)
Fast food delivery drivers, haircuts I tip and anything below 20p I let people keep as can't be arsed to stand there and wait for it
Cherno Samba
  • Total Posts : 2374
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 09:17:10 (permalink)
darkmatter

You come across as way2smart to be a doley.
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 21013
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 09:17:36 (permalink)
TBH I don't like carrying round loads of change so anything less than a quid either goes as tips or in to the little charity box as standard. £5 notes go to the homeless. £10 notes get rolled and stuffed up my nose
post edited by gutlessrhyme - 2017/10/13 09:19:14

The Waco Kid
  • Total Posts : 43601
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 09:24:56 (permalink)
Flutey Dan AKA the Bumpkin Badrid

gutlessrhyme
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 09:26:35 (permalink)
If I could change my name to Flutey Dan I would, but someone (I reckon) locked down my account to stop me changing my name

Structure4
  • Total Posts : 245
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 09:55:54 (permalink)
I work as a waiter. All I would say to those who do tip is to check with the waiter who is serving you, where that tip money is going, especially if there is a 12.5% discretionary service charge added to your bill (this almost never goes to the staff.)

You can ask the waiter to take it off and tell them you want the tip to go them instead.

In regards to restaurants not taking card tips: annoying as it is, this is because it is very difficult to split fairly between all the staff that work there. Especially if one part timer who works very little is getting the same tips per month as a waiter working 55 hours per week. It's hard to divide it up especially when people swap shifts etc.

If you tip or not is always up to you but if you've had a nice meal, good service and don't tip, you will probably make yourself unpopular in that restaurant in the future. Again I understand some people don't believe in tipping, but I'm not sure all waiters would understand that.

For me I generally tip 10-15% wherever I go unless service has been unacceptable in which case I will not tip at all. I will also unlikely ever return to that establishment.

I will only tip for a drink if I'm buying a cocktail or something else that takes time and effort, if you do this your next drink may be even stronger.

If I'm in a pub then I may ask if the barman would like a drink, but I would never tip for a pint.

Don't ever tip less than a pound. It looks like an insult.

K thanks bye
darkmatter
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 10:21:46 (permalink)

Haha thanks drumbongo, I can be impressively stupid with the simple stuff like not sitting around smoking all day though Said yes to a job yesterday so all good now!

LHC
  • Total Posts : 5944
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 10:41:51 (permalink)
Getting offended at being given free money tho

I can't believe there is such etiquette around this
post edited by LHC - 2017/10/13 10:43:22
PapaJaro
  • Total Posts : 6639
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 11:00:58 (permalink)
I've never tipped for drinks nor have I seen it happen. HTH.
Griff
  • Total Posts : 8368
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 11:03:23 (permalink)
PapaJaro

We don't wanna know what you tip for mate...
Cherno Samba
  • Total Posts : 2374
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 11:05:05 (permalink)
darkmatter

Haha thanks drumbongo, I can be impressively stupid with the simple stuff like not sitting around smoking all day though Said yes to a job yesterday so all good now!

Congrats!!
Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 11066
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 11:06:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Whagwan 2017/10/13 12:44:33
PapaJaro

That's because you're not allowed out of your nonce-proof cage
Geordie007
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 11:12:37 (permalink)
Congrats darkmatter
frizzyd
  • Total Posts : 24703
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 12:25:16 (permalink)
Structure4
I work as a waiter. All I would say to those who do tip is to check with the waiter who is serving you, where that tip money is going, especially if there is a 12.5% discretionary service charge added to your bill (this almost never goes to the staff.)

You can ask the waiter to take it off and tell them you want the tip to go them instead.

Having worked in hotels, bars and restaurants when I was younger I never tip with a card, always cash.

For a start the tips end up going to the undeserving as opposed directly to the person who gave you great service, fuck the Albanian pot washers, I'm tipping for the service not how clean my knife and fork is!

Some of the larger restaurant/hotel brands deduct a percentage from the tip pool as a handling fee so not all the money you are tipping even goes to the staff.

And tip money paid from a central pool into wages, then becomes tax deductible.

Bottom line, I'm tipping for the service I receive and I want that tip to go straight into the hands of the person who has provided that service.
gutlessrhyme
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 12:33:52 (permalink)
I'm happy for the tips to be shared with the chefs and pot washers. I don't want it going to anyone who wasn't present in the building at that moment in time.

darkmatter
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 12:34:38 (permalink)
Cheers guys! I can start tipping again now

Shiverman
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 12:39:32 (permalink)
frizzyd

Bottom line, I'm tipping for the service I receive and I want that tip to go straight into the hands of the person who has provided that service.

I agree with this bit, however in practice it's not that easy. For example when I worked in a bar, all tips - cash and card - went into a central pool and were dished out to staff equally depending on the hours they'd worked that week. They took a fee for accounting, which was bullshit, but whatever. Anyway, I thought this was pretty much the fairest way to do it because why the fuck should the wait staff get all the tips? There's chefs, bartenders, pot washers all contributing to the service and it was always a massive fucking effort to get wait staff to put their tips into the central jar. Like they were the only ones who were working their arses off.

Our potwashers weren't albanian tho
post edited by Shiverman - 2017/10/13 12:41:10
Geordie007
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 12:47:22 (permalink)
frizzyd
Structure4

Having worked in hotels, bars and restaurants when I was younger I never tip with a card, always cash.

For a start the tips end up going to the undeserving as opposed directly to the person who gave you great service, fuck the Albanian pot washers, I'm tipping for the service not how clean my knife and fork is!

Some of the larger restaurant/hotel brands deduct a percentage from the tip pool as a handling fee so not all the money you are tipping even goes to the staff.

And tip money paid from a central pool into wages, then becomes tax deductible.

so you don't think having clean knives and forks is part of the service? 
post edited by Geordie007 - 2017/10/13 12:48:53
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 29809
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 12:47:29 (permalink)
Syhr
Flutey Dan AKA the Bumpkin Badrid

He's putting me to shame with his behavior lately. All he needs to do is a get a decent kettle and he's out Badrid'ed Badrid.

SW14
  • Total Posts : 9194
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 12:48:49 (permalink)
willfunk
"take your own" means take 20-30p here

I've said it before down south and the cheeky cunts have taken the price of a drink for themselves. Never again

Down here that's "a drink for you" all day long.
Shiverman
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 12:51:58 (permalink)
Yeah. 100% if I'm saying one for yourself, that means a full drink

If I tipped 20p it would be to make the point that their service was PROPER shit.
post edited by Shiverman - 2017/10/13 12:53:01
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 29809
Re: Tipping 2017/10/13 12:58:05 (permalink)
If someone offered me a 20/30p tip I'd say don't worry about it. It's more of an insult lol

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0