Helpful ReplyHot!Kitchen equipment

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 2604
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/09/30 12:34:05 (permalink)
Majik
You shouldn't burn sesame oil, you're meant to add it at the last minute

I always put it in first when Im doing fried rice. Am I doing it wrong? If so, what oil should I use at the start?
SmokedEggs
  • Total Posts : 2014
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/09/30 13:11:23 (permalink)
Rudiger01
Majik

I always put it in first when Im doing fried rice. Am I doing it wrong? If so, what oil should I use at the start?

Sesame oil is more of a seasoning than a cooking oil.

Use ground nut oil as it has a very very high burning point and has very little flavour
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 29824
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/09/30 14:04:27 (permalink)
BrianBadonde
Whetstones are a massive faff.

I banished them to the shed and got one of these instead... they have stones inside but you fill it up with water and just run your knives in and out each wheel about 10 times. Has the correct angles for the knives and takes minutes...

That watch is so evil

Dubtitled
  • Total Posts : 6271
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/09/30 17:44:18 (permalink)
Rudiger01
Majik

Oh balls, a Russian showed me to do it that way I thought he knew what he was doing.
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 17980
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/09/30 17:54:18 (permalink)
Got a whetstone but I really want a leather strop with diamond paste. Or maybe it's just me being shit, I can get them sharp enough for any food stuff, but obviously it ain't as satisfying if it doesn't take all the hairs off when you run it along your arm.

Think the ideal sharpening technique depends on the steel really, softer steels are easier to get back to usable sharpness and respond fine to the cheaper sharpeners, harder steels need more work but hold the edge for longer. Just need to be careful with chips being taken out cos it's more brittle.

God I'm boring.

Captain Diabetes
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/09/30 18:30:15 (permalink)
always loved a fishslice, hasnt got a look in since i got some minor tongs that please me
Bruce Bogtrotter
  • Total Posts : 7429
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/09/30 19:10:40 (permalink)
Went for a Le Creuset pan in the end. To be fair John Lewis refunded me with no receipt, no arguments.

Speaking to the woman in the Creuset shop, I had clearly smashed the JL pan to bits with heat so gently does it with the new one.

Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/09/30 19:14:53 (permalink)
dubplatederek
Learn to sharpen knives on a proper stone you bummers.

It takes a bit of time and practice, but it's.so satisfying to get a knife super sharp with just a stone and some persistence.

There's a good YouTube video of a sushi chef sharpening his knives that taught me enough to get going...

Bollocks IMO.

I used to do this, have two full sized global stones (med and fine) and a guide for the blade to keep the angle. It was a total nause... OK if you have one or two knives but not a full set. 

The roller wheel I posted above does EXACTLY the same job in a fraction of the time. Still uses the same material as the stones as rollers.

SmokedEggs
  • Total Posts : 2014
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/09/30 21:39:19 (permalink)
Well.. Got the air fryer today and it is great.

Made half decent southern fried thighs, some marinated drumsticks, sweet potato fries, chips, spring rolls.. All sick and so easy!

Does stink the house out though...nowhere near as bad as a deep fat fryer but much worse than an oven
post edited by SmokedEggs - 2017/09/30 21:50:51
dubplatederek
  • Total Posts : 139
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/10/01 19:16:11 (permalink)
BrianBadonde
dubplatederek
Learn to sharpen knives on a proper stone you bummers.

It takes a bit of time and practice, but it's.so satisfying to get a knife super sharp with just a stone and some persistence.

There's a good YouTube video of a sushi chef sharpening his knives that taught me enough to get going...

Bollocks IMO.

I used to do this, have two full sized global stones (med and fine) and a guide for the blade to keep the angle. It was a total nause... OK if you have one or two knives but not a full set. 

The roller wheel I posted above does EXACTLY the same job in a fraction of the time. Still uses the same material as the stones as rollers.

Hmm, admits to ruining kitchen equipment through inexperience / sheer incompetence then taking it back to the shop, then follows that up with a dismissal of a skill that can take years to perfect, instead endorsing an inferior shortcut.

I'll stick to the established techniques thanks fella. Keep the bits for people who can't be arsed to learn for yourself :-)
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/10/02 06:10:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Whitey 2017/10/03 01:54:09
dubplatederekinexperience / sheer incompetence 

Hammered
  • Total Posts : 597
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/10/02 06:41:03 (permalink)
dubplatederek then follows that up with a dismissal of a skill that can take years to perfect, instead endorsing an inferior shortcut.

I want to cut my carrots with ease now mate, not wait two years while i "perfect the skill".
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/10/02 06:52:02 (permalink)
Just off to book my knife sharpening course in the Kunyu mountains, going to do the fast track course, BRB in a year. 

dotarr
  • Total Posts : 4773
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/10/02 07:31:39 (permalink)
BrianBadonde
Went for a Le Creuset pan in the end. To be fair John Lewis refunded me with no receipt, no arguments.

Speaking to the woman in the Creuset shop, I had clearly smashed the JL pan to bits with heat so gently does it with the new one.

What sort of pan? Their saucepans and casseroles are great but I've been really unimpressed with their frying pans, Lodge are better in that regard (although less pretty) and hold a better patina.
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 27015
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/10/02 07:36:13 (permalink)
Blok Knives are the best knives.

https://www.blok-knives.co.uk
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 4773
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/10/02 07:46:45 (permalink)
Given it only cost me about a tenner, and has put up with years of abuse and neglect, I am very impressed with my victorinox chefs knife. Alright, they're not the best, but it's a bargain at the price.
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/10/02 08:33:45 (permalink)
simon.r
BrianBadonde

What sort of pan? Their saucepans and casseroles are great but I've been really unimpressed with their frying pans, Lodge are better in that regard (although less pretty) and hold a better patina.

Their "toughened" one... The woman did a demo with one in the shop at Bluewater, seemed pretty good with EGG

mouse oxford
  • Total Posts : 1803
Re: Kitchen equipment 2017/10/02 10:06:46 (permalink)
Using a stone really isn't that much of a faff. Okay if you want absolute perfection same as anything or if you have trouble maintaining an angle. But those sharpening tools take too much material off IMO and will fuck your knives In the long run. Ask anyone who cooks for a living.

But at the end of the day if you use a steel regularly you will maintain an edge and not need to regrind it too often.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0