Helpful ReplyHot!Non alcoholic lager

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Asian Babe
  • Total Posts : 10957
2017/09/17 16:47:24 (permalink)

Non alcoholic lager

Yes I have heard it all, what's the point in drinking beer with no booze in? My pal once said, it's like licking your sister's fanny. Tastes the same, but it's not right lol

I have given up boozing recently (couple of months) but I do miss a lovely cold pint in the pub more than anything. I have found that a Becks Blue or an Erdinger is OK, I can have a couple of those and still have a nice pub session just without the gnarly hangover or falling over. So far, booze-free social occasions have been a breeze. I even enjoy a Becks Blue at home sometimes. 

Any others I should know about? Also, long shot but has anyone ever seen non alcoholic beer on tap anywhere? I'd love to have a pint of it.

Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 2787
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 16:51:29 (permalink)
My missus bought me crates of blue becks for weeks without us noticing
Bosko Balaban
  • Total Posts : 1383
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 16:56:46 (permalink)

Asian Babe
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 16:58:14 (permalink)
I wouldn't bother with a cider, as there are nicer soft drinks. I am after a nice beery taste. Anyone suggesting that Brewdog one can suck my balls. It's grim

Nakoma
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 17:42:25 (permalink)
I gave up alcohol almost 2 years ago. The main one I drink is Bavaria and it tastes good, it's also 0.0%. You can order non-alcoholic beer from https://drydrinker.com/ they have loads of different ones on there. They have a mixed case you can get so you can try loads of different types to find one you like. Becks blue is absolutely fucking disgusting and tastes of nothing but chemicals. 

Best I had was Birra Moretti when I was in Italy. 
post edited by Nakoma - 2017/09/17 17:43:46
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 27155
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 17:43:28 (permalink)
Bitburger Drive
GSV
  • Total Posts : 446
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 17:51:04 (permalink)
Non alcoholic whiskey is a thing bizarrely, I saw it described as the final shot in the war against common sense lol.
OEM
  • Total Posts : 32449
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 18:22:46 (permalink)
Rudiger01

Bosko Balaban
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 18:37:06 (permalink)
horrid
I wouldn't bother with a cider, as there are nicer soft drinks.

from a pub? like what
Hammered
  • Total Posts : 624
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 19:02:24 (permalink)
On a similar tip, was in the local supermarket choosing a bottle of red for today's roast and noticed a non-alcoholoc red wine in there (So grape juice then Yeah?)
Bit disappointed I didn't pick one up to be honest just to see what it's like.
beat freak
  • Total Posts : 3408
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 19:14:52 (permalink)
That dry drinker site looks good. Does anyone have any knowledge or links to decent non alcoholic wines?

My missus is about to start a heavily medicated, ten day, home detox programme and I need to find some things for her to enjoy on the other side. I know she wants to quit, she needs to quit, but I know at this point, that she still needs to feel part of it. I don't know if that's right or wrong.

Don't wanna hijack, but anyone else been through a helping/supportive role? I've got my plans and ideas and am working with the clinic to manage the very important next ten days and and beyond, but first hand experience/advice any one has would be welcome.

Cheers
Bosko Balaban
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 19:22:15 (permalink)
tbh mate id get her used to being sober first before introducing non-alcoholic alternatives.
that's a step for someone with strength in sobriety behind them, some don't ever manage it due to the connection with their past life drinking. it might be setting her up for failure

get on here and ask
https://www.soberrecovery...nds-family-alcoholics/
dubplatederek
  • Total Posts : 145
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 19:36:01 (permalink)
Arcadian
tbh mate id get her used to being sober first before introducing non-alcoholic alternatives.
that's a step for someone with strength in sobriety behind them, some don't ever manage it due to the connection with their past life drinking. it might be setting her up for failure

get on here and ask

Absolutely this.

I recommend that she reads a book called The Naked Mind by Annie Grace.
beat freak
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 20:22:46 (permalink)
Cheers.

I drink but am also happily sober at the same time. Which I admit sounds a bit cunt and doesn't help her at times

Have read books together but not seen the sober recovery link, so thank you for that.
post edited by beat freak - 2017/09/17 20:29:49
THIRT33N
  • Total Posts : 1222
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 20:47:13 (permalink)
Nakoma
Becks blue is absolutely fucking disgusting and tastes of nothing but chemicals.

Innit. Watery nastyness. Shame as seems to be the only one pubs stock.
Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4139
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 20:56:21 (permalink)
If she's going to be on a high dose of librium she will be pretty docile for those 10 days. If she genuinely wants to get and stay sober it is imperative that she changes her mindset towards alcohol, she has to lose that desire to drink. It's taken me 15 months of sobriety followed by 3 consecutive relapses to work it out. In early recovery I would recommend getting rid of all the alcohol in the house and not drinking around her. In the first few months after the detox I would plan as many things for her to do during the times she would usually be drinking. For me it was going to meetings, I don't fully agree with the aa program but in early recovery it was essential for keeping me off the drink and breaking the habit.
Bosko Balaban
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 21:14:21 (permalink)
I like becks blue but think its just a case of drinking it so long. my local recently changed brewery to Heineken and their non-alc beer is awful
Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 2787
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 21:34:21 (permalink)
OEM
Rudiger01

I had 3 weekends of doing a crate in and going to bed absolutely sober. First weekend I just thought it was a superhuman effort, second weekend I was fucked off other things and third weekend she got a black eye
Nakoma
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/17 22:24:05 (permalink)
https://al-anon.org/ Al-Anon is an anonymous group meetup for for people who have friends, relatives and other half's with alcohol addiction problems. Has she thought about AA? Stopping drinking is only a small part of the problem. The root of the problem needs addressing not just the symptom/cure of medicating with alcohol/drugs for long term sobriety. 

Test Recordings
  • Total Posts : 558
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/18 06:35:40 (permalink)
The only time I've appreciated something without alcohol in it was at Cabbage at the West Indian centre in Leeds...
Geordie007
  • Total Posts : 19710
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/18 06:36:58 (permalink)
dubplatederek
Arcadian

get on here and ask

Absolutely this.

I recommend that she reads a book called The Naked Mind by Annie Grace.

Signed up to her email list and she sends out stuff often when I'm ready to face up to stopping boozing for a while ill get stuck into reading the stuff.

its not bad

Fiend.
  • Total Posts : 1125
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/18 08:35:23 (permalink)
horrid
Anyone suggesting that Brewdog one can suck my balls. It's grim

Sounds like you're already on the right track, Nanny State tastes like engine coolant.

Here's some of my findings from an earlier year:

Good:
Sainsbury's Czech 0.5%
Good crisp taste and very low calorie
Erdinger Wiessbier 0.5%
Nice taste with mild wheatiness.

Okay:
Bavaria 0,0 Wheat beer
Much nicer than the normal Bav, quite wheaty
San Miguel 0,0
A classic, not much taste but palatable
Estrella Free Damm
A classic name, another light but okay one
Morrisons Saint Urquel
Quite light but not bad

Goat piss:
Bavaria 0,0
Too sweet and malty
Cobra 0%
Too sweet and malty
Becks Blue
No taste as you'd expect from a big brand

Further to that I'd add Franziskaner Alcohol-Frei as one of the best, generally if you like the wheat beer taste their their 0,0 counterparts are quite decent as you still get that smooth wheaty taste. 

...is this what you want???
Asian Babe
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/18 09:11:08 (permalink)
Yup the Cobra one is gross. 

@Beat freak - drop me a PM anytime, as a female who has kicked the booze I am happy to help. And yes, don't go down the non-alc route until she has broken the habitual part of it. I only tried non alc stuff because I had no desire to drink alcohol anymore and no desire to get pissed certainly, but noticed a lot of my friends are totally uninterested in doing anything other than going to the pub so decided to see if I could still take part but not have alcohol.  I wouldn't buy alcohol free wine because I would normally have done that if I had people round for dinner, so associate a bottle of wine with arsing a few of them during the cooking and eating process, then buying drugs afterwards. 

Plus points (from a female perspective!)
NO HANGOVERS (get a lot more done)
You lose about half a stone almost immediately
Save a shit load of money
Skin is great
Don't sweat as much! In fact hardly at all. Exercise is a lot easier
Smoke less if any fags
Don't get wound up by stuff (human traffic/partner/anything) 

She will be an unbearable cunt for about a week after she gets off the meds, I didn't go that route but my friend (male) who quite at the same time as I did had serious anxiety and depression issues. I think that's because the stuff he had been ignoring through being pissed or on meds was now something he had to deal with. My head was in the bin for a few days myself. 

beat freak
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/18 10:30:43 (permalink)
Rapt
If she's going to be on a high dose of librium she will be pretty docile for those 10 days. If she genuinely wants to get and stay sober it is imperative that she changes her mindset towards alcohol, she has to lose that desire to drink. It's taken me 15 months of sobriety followed by 3 consecutive relapses to work it out. In early recovery I would recommend getting rid of all the alcohol in the house and not drinking around her. In the first few months after the detox I would plan as many things for her to do during the times she would usually be drinking. For me it was going to meetings, I don't fully agree with the aa program but in early recovery it was essential for keeping me off the drink and breaking the habit.

Cheers.

I got rid of every bit of booze in the house last night and she seems pretty positive today, just waiting for the meds to kick in.

We've got a schedule of meetings and group sessions to attend which I plan to go to as well, not only for support but to better understand it too.

Its a beast.
beat freak
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/18 10:36:52 (permalink)
horrid
Yup the Cobra one is gross. 

@Beat freak - drop me a PM anytime, as a female who has kicked the booze I am happy to help. And yes, don't go down the non-alc route until she has broken the habitual part of it. I only tried non alc stuff because I had no desire to drink alcohol anymore and no desire to get pissed certainly, but noticed a lot of my friends are totally uninterested in doing anything other than going to the pub so decided to see if I could still take part but not have alcohol.  I wouldn't buy alcohol free wine because I would normally have done that if I had people round for dinner, so associate a bottle of wine with arsing a few of them during the cooking and eating process, then buying drugs afterwards. 

Plus points (from a female perspective!)
NO HANGOVERS (get a lot more done)
You lose about half a stone almost immediately
Save a shit load of money
Skin is great
Don't sweat as much! In fact hardly at all. Exercise is a lot easier
Smoke less if any fags
Don't get wound up by stuff (human traffic/partner/anything) 

She will be an unbearable cunt for about a week after she gets off the meds, I didn't go that route but my friend (male) who quite at the same time as I did had serious anxiety and depression issues. I think that's because the stuff he had been ignoring through being pissed or on meds was now something he had to deal with. My head was in the bin for a few days myself. 

Thank you, much appreciated.  Its going to be a tricky few weeks, I'm aware, just how tricky though, we'll wait and see.  Easy for me to say, but Im actually quite looking forward to it, the thought of getting her back and having some normality is great.  Im so glad shes finally admitted it to herself.

RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 91869
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/18 11:11:18 (permalink)
Hammered
On a similar tip, was in the local supermarket choosing a bottle of red for today's roast and noticed a non-alcoholoc red wine in there (So grape juice then Yeah?)

I was in a kebab place recently that was selling non alcoholic wine for the same price as real wine, 20 quid for some grape juice ffs.

Never seen the point in non alcoholic beer, why not just have a coke or something?
Asian Babe
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/18 11:17:47 (permalink)
Razor
Hammered

I was in a kebab place recently that was selling non alcoholic wine for the same price as real wine, 20 quid for some grape juice ffs.

Never seen the point in non alcoholic beer, why not just have a coke or something?

As I said above, I like the taste of a beer. I don't really like the taste of a coke and after years of enjoying a nice cold beer in the pub I wanted second best. Not for everyone, but it works for me.  And yh its scandalous when they charge the same price as alcohol, 4 quid for a Becks Blue is a par tbh

Asian Babe
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/18 11:17:49 (permalink)
Razor
Hammered

As I said above, I like the taste of a beer. I don't really like the taste of a coke and after years of enjoying a nice cold beer in the pub I wanted second best. Not for everyone, but it works for me.  And yh its scandalous when they charge the same price as alcohol, 4 quid for a Becks Blue is a par tbh

Asian Babe
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/18 11:20:13 (permalink)
The Sober Time app is good as well :_)

RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 91869
Re: Non alcoholic lager 2017/09/18 11:30:31 (permalink)
Fair enough, maybe if I had to stop I would miss the taste of beer but I've always thought I drink it for the effect rather than the taste, it would just be a tease having the taste without the feeling.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0