Helpful ReplyHot!is Burial taking the piss?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 6307
2017/05/19 10:09:58 (permalink)

is Burial taking the piss?

http://pitchfork.com/news/73629-burial-releases-new-tracks-subtemple-and-beachfires-listen/

i would barely consider either of these two tracks 'music'
gavinx
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 10:11:01 (permalink)
Bleep's description kills me https://bleep.com/release/84381-burial-subtemple-beachfires 
a howling wind blows out the last flick of the night's clipper while a rumbling bassline builds with momentum like the last night tube rumbling to a stop while you try and draw the last toke before descending down into the darkness

just fuck off
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 4199
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 10:13:22 (permalink)
Just posted same thing in New Releases thread. 

It's ambience - not really a piss-take but just a different genre to his normal style. Tbh, his music has been sliding this way for sometime - messy, unstructured soundscapes so it's of little surprise to me that he's dropped beats almost completely and just working with evolving sounds. 

I put in the other thread - imo, I listen to a lot of ambient / soundscape / vapor and this doesn't come close to what some of the best guys in those genres can put out.
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 18886
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 10:13:57 (permalink)
lol

pretty standard soundscapes. they really don't need to be on vinyl. or 10 minutes long. they'd just about be acceptable as interludes on an album.

no
dazdsb
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 10:16:56 (permalink)
I think there's good musical value in soundscapes / ambience that's done well it's just that this isn't done particularly well. It's a little unfair to bench the genre as interlude / filler material when there's some really good, comprehensive albums out there just made from ambience / soundscapes.
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 18886
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 10:18:23 (permalink)
i'm sure there is, but this is a burial single.

no
Law
  • Total Posts : 62223
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 10:26:07 (permalink)
Is he trying to be some kind of urban Eno?
Objectively I could kinda get into this, but I just love classic Burial too much to really enjoy.
post edited by Law - 2017/05/19 10:37:09
Cherno Samba
  • Total Posts : 2225
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 10:28:42 (permalink)
Could be worse, he could be making house-by-numbers or soulless generic techno
dazdsb
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 10:29:52 (permalink)
I think classic Burial is dead.

I've lowered my expectations and no longer bother looking forward to new releases because there's actually zero signs of Burial putting out anything in the future than even remotely lives up to early releases.  
gavinx
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 10:37:22 (permalink)
i just don't get it. it's like he stuck a microphone outside, hit record and then just pressed the first 16 minutes onto two sides of a record

i've often thought over the last couple of years if he just puts out any old shit to see how much people like that writer for Bleep will wank themselves senseless over it... while laughing and counting his money. this is a new low though imo

still, i quite enjoyed the low-fi charm of his goldie remix

@daz - what kind of stuff are you talking about? i quite like Bop for example

post edited by gavinx - 2017/05/19 10:50:37
MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 16896
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 10:44:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Willfunk 2017/05/19 15:08:55
Wow. Sorry if I offend anyone here but that is just about the most pretentious load of noise I've ever heard - you'd actually sit and listen to that?!

Wooshes, rumbles and the odd bleep or clatter?! Sounds like fucking the car park outside. 

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
The Waco Kid
  • Total Posts : 43347
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 11:18:03 (permalink)
Fully disappeared up his own mysterious arsehole.

Autograff
  • Total Posts : 11717
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 11:21:04 (permalink)
I rate it. 
Specialized1
  • Total Posts : 21568
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 11:21:04 (permalink)
'Music' for bellends. 

STEAM - McGrayUK
dazdsb
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 11:22:58 (permalink)
gavinx
@daz - what kind of stuff are you talking about? i quite like Bop for example

I post a lot of the ambient stuff I'm into in the Vaporwave thread.

http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/tm.aspx?m=1975934421
Arcadian
  • Total Posts : 1132
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 11:33:04 (permalink)
just lol

does his recent stuff resell well? would think this level of pretentious would go down well with the Shoreditch mob

MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 16896
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 11:36:02 (permalink)
The sort of person that wears socks with polystyrene glued on the bottom, eh Daz. 

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
SetFireHands
  • Total Posts : 187
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 12:04:24 (permalink)
Beachfires is massive.

Clearly just loaded 10 random Cubase projects from his collection, took the drums out, rendered the ambient bits to .wav, then opened another empty Cubase project, and layered said .wavs altogether, and put iZotope Vinyl over the master.  The little cunt.
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3322
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 12:42:41 (permalink)
i like them both tbh
Ascension
  • Total Posts : 6207
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 13:36:39 (permalink)
mrEQ
Wow. Sorry if I offend anyone here but that is just about the most pretentious load of noise I've ever heard - you'd actually sit and listen to that?!

Wooshes, rumbles and the odd bleep or clatter?! Sounds like fucking the car park outside. 

They were playing hour long sets of this stuff during the day and early evening at Sun & Bass last year, sandwiched in between dnb sets, was a right vibe killers.

I really don't get it, proper Emperor's New Clothes business to me.
Willfunk
  • Total Posts : 14587
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 15:09:10 (permalink)
mrEQ

All of these things
IKOS
  • Total Posts : 35806
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 16:46:33 (permalink)
Can't listen yet but Burial can do whatever the fuck he likes in my humble opinion and whatever he does i've no doubt he's does so with full sincerity and real substantial reasoned theory behind it.

I obviously realise that makes no difference to whether people think it's shit or not and even though i'm a massive fan some of his tunes really leave me scratching my head but whatever he's doing i honestly believe he take's everything he makes seriously and i certainly don't think he's taking the piss.
post edited by IKOS - 2017/05/19 16:49:23
nayf
  • Total Posts : 2997
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 17:09:00 (permalink)
Few scenarios:
1.He's been an alias all along and is trolling us neatly... or

2. He's in a record label dispute doing the minimum necessary to fulfil the contract (though conjecture, this would explain many things)... or

3. He's been an alias all along and after reading the Guardian's piece on accelerationism the other week we may be able to guess who it is, and then concur with the artist formerly known as Rhys's summation.
Malloy The Catburglar
  • Total Posts : 1046
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 17:11:05 (permalink)
burinal
IKOS
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 17:19:15 (permalink)
MrSlickle
Few scenarios:
1.He's been an alias all along and is trolling us neatly... or

2. He's in a record label dispute doing the minimum necessary to fulfil the contract (though conjecture, this would explain many things)... or

3. He's been an alias all along and after reading the Guardian's piece on accelerationism the other week we may be able to guess who it is, and then concur with the artist formerly known as Rhys's summation.

There's various photos of him that have been about for a while now, meaning if he's an alias whoever's in those photos is going to have had to promise to pretend to be Burial forever more, so the alias line must be redundant by now surely?

What makes you think he might be an alias? Genuine question, i'm intrigued.
nayf
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 17:30:16 (permalink)
I've only ever seen one photo of Burial, and that was from when MySpace was all the rage (jumpers for goalposts etc). It could be anybody, really.

I've a theory it's Kode9. It was rumoured at the time Burial blew up the first time (with pretty compelling evidence) and after reading that accelerationism article the other week and finding out Kode9 was a former student of it, the idea of an-anti pop star documenting the coldness of depersonalised modern life through music and doing so via a production method so wilfully obtuse as to be pseudo-philosophical in itself - pause for breath, and a cynical yawn - seems to fit together with that ideology. Please shoot me now. The Guardian article - and accelerationism itself - is pretty tldr, the kind of intellectual navel gazing I was quite rightly ridiculed for posting about for ten years of this forum, only with a government grant. There are a few lols to be had in it, though.

If he's not an alias, I reckon it's 2. If it is, it's 3.
post edited by MrSlickle - 2017/05/19 17:42:35
Cherno Samba
  • Total Posts : 2225
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 17:57:47 (permalink)
There's more than one photo of him, I'm sure there was a photo of him and kode9 in the same room at a dmz night a few years ago so it can't be Kode9.

Here you go. not the best photo but make of it what you will

https://www.google.co.uk/...#imgrc=slCa1uZli3FEkM:

IKOS
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 18:08:03 (permalink)
MrSlickle
I've only ever seen one photo of Burial, and that was from when MySpace was all the rage (jumpers for goalposts etc). It could be anybody, really.

I've a theory it's Kode9. It was rumoured at the time Burial blew up the first time (with pretty compelling evidence) and after reading that accelerationism article the other week and finding out Kode9 was a former student of it, the idea of an-anti pop star documenting the coldness of depersonalised modern life through music and doing so via a production method so wilfully obtuse as to be pseudo-philosophical in itself - pause for breath, and a cynical yawn - seems to fit together with that ideology. Please shoot me now. The Guardian article - and accelerationism itself - is pretty tldr, the kind of intellectual navel gazing I was quite rightly ridiculed for posting about for ten years of this forum, only with a government grant. There are a few lols to be had in it, though.

If he's not an alias, I reckon it's 2. If it is, it's 3.

His name is Will Bevan, he's released at least two photos of himself to prove he is who he says he is. What i do find a little strange or impressive depending on how you look at it, is that no one from his past has sold old photos of him.

Maybe he's always refused to have his photo taken, i have know someone like that. Maybe no one ever took his photo. This obsession with constantly photographing ones self and those around you is a relatively new scourge.

Maybe his friends are an incredibly close and small circle who wouldn't dream of selling him out. Maybe he's a loney and had no one who might sell him out. Who know's.

He's certainly been quite the enigma but with the music he came out with there was no need to cause a fake hype around some fake alias just to sell records. He pretty much defined and fueled the evolution of an entirely new sub genre single handed. If Kode 9 had released that music the same thing would have happened, just with Kode 9 at the helm.

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next man but i find it hard to understand how this one has persisted for so long. He obviously dislikes limelight and doesn't deal with social media, i really fell that's the simple truth behind his elusiveness, the fact that it's obviously helped with his image and boosted sales is a lucky coincidence no doubt capitalized on and encouraged by Kode, no more than that though. That my take on it anyway.
IKOS
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 18:17:16 (permalink)
DrumBongo
There's more than one photo of him, I'm sure there was a photo of him and kode9 in the same room at a dmz night a few years ago so it can't be Kode9.

Here you go. not the best photo but make of it what you will

https://www.google.co.uk/...#imgrc=slCa1uZli3FEkM:

I've seen three of four photos of him over the years and it's always been the same guy. Can't really tell in the one you posted but i've no reason to think it's not him.
nayf
Re: is Burial taking the piss? 2017/05/19 18:17:25 (permalink)
It is just a theory - but reading that accelerationism article just made the Burial thing sound like a project, a philosophical/cultural thesis.
It's not a conspiracy theory anyway - it is for all the stuff Bleep/Boomkat release writers might think it is - a piece of recorded audio. And as such it can be interpreted in different ways...
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0