Hot!@ creative types

Author
Jimmy2Shoes
  • Total Posts : 5704
2017/04/19 14:29:13 (permalink)

@ creative types

What software would you recommend for rustling up marketing material?.
Mainly creating PDF's and booklets with images and text, hyperlinks etc. and I already have some material which I would like to edit.
Also going to be using these for social media so anything with an inbuilt campaign feature would be good but not essential.

I've only really heard of Photoshop for image creating/editing but I can see there are different variations of it.

13 Replies Related Threads

wiseacre
    • Total Posts : 18878
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 14:47:05 (permalink)
    indesign?

microsoft visio

no
    Rudiger01
    • Total Posts : 2149
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 15:00:47 (permalink)
    MS paint

#lol
    Syzlack_24
    • Total Posts : 8878
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 15:03:00 (permalink)
    InDesign is good for doing most of that. Not sure about inbuilt campaign features though
    gavinx
    • Total Posts : 6307
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 15:07:06 (permalink)
    what do you mean by "an inbuilt campaign feature" ?

and yeah, creative suite is what you want: photoshop, in design, illustrator, premiere, etc
    Jimmy2Shoes
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 15:39:46 (permalink)
    gavinx
    what do you mean by "an inbuilt campaign feature" ?

and yeah, creative suite is what you want: photoshop, in design, illustrator, premiere, etc

Where you can load different text and literature and then set them to go at specific times and dates.

Anything I can pay a one off fee for rather than a subscription model, which it looks like CC is.
    Syzlack_24
    • Total Posts : 8878
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 15:45:24 (permalink)
    I would use MailChimp for campaigns.

CC is all subscription now, but I wouldn't bother with the whole package. InDesign is all you'll need to create booklets and brochures etc etc HTH
    IKOS
    • Total Posts : 35806
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 15:59:26 (permalink)
    Agreed about Indesign, i think that's still the industry standard for some of what you want to do.

Not sure how much experience you have with either ID or PS or how much work you're going to be doing and how often, that's really going to help you decide how much time you're prepared to put into learning and which one. If you're starting as a beginner to both and unless you have very large magazine projects to compile i would suggest working with Photoshop. That's just my opinion though and i'm no more than a distinctly mediocre designer at best so i don't claim to know too much and i'm happy to be educated on why that's not the best choice.

I've found that Photoshop has the ability to do everything in one package whereas Indesign seem to be more of layout tool for compiling many elements together within a document. Granted Photoshop isn't particularly strong in that department but depending on how you need to have things prepped for your printers or what format you're going to require once works complete you can always do the bulk of the design work in Photoshop the pull it together in indesign. Taking all the ball ache out of working out page numbers and having to do it manually, Indesign will do that for you.

I taught myself Photoshop starting way way back and i'm still learning. It's capable of doing everything you mentioned but depending on who you're working with and how large your publications are you could potentially find it getting a bit long winded after a while due to the nature of the system, it's not designed specifically for booklets, it's designed for image creation and image manipulation predominantly. It can do them and i've done quite a few so if i can i've no doubt you'll be able to as well. For PDF and booklets Indesign is designed to maximizes your work flow potential and ease the process along and because it's designed for that specifically it's a walk in the park. That said i don't find it has the design capabilitys that Photoshop has and that's the deciding factor for me. It should be pointed out that many people used them together and if you have the means to get both then do that. Get your design work and graphics done in PS and do your layout and arrangement in ID. If you can't get them both or are going to find learning both systems a pain (that's a lot to learn mate, i know) then really think about which one is going to give you the most. Watch a few youtube videos and get the one best suited and learn the fucker inside out.

With Indesign you have the choice of various blank skeleton publications into which you can throw your pages whereas with Photoshop it's designed to be one image at a time. I prefer using Photoshop personally, it's really not that much bother working out page order and such. It can become a problem when you hand over to the printers though so it may be an idea to design each page in Photoshop then arrange them in Indesign depending on what your printers require. That's been the best all round experience i've had whilst making a monthly magazine for a company in Birmingham who required me to use Indesign, worked a treat, designed in PS, build and layout in ID. Generally though i've always tended to build each page in Photoshop then export as a PDF for printing. I have no idea how common or practical that is in general but it works for me and my printer.

I've used PS stand alone for making several magazines, pamphlets and leaflets over the years so it can be done but really Photoshop is more about photo editing and in my case graphic design elements drawn from scratch. It does the job and for me it does it quickly. Still, there's no getting round the fact i really need to learn Indesign inside out in the not to distant future.

That's turned into a proper TLDR hasn't it, i obviously don't expect a reply addressing all that, i just hope some of it's useful. Let me know if you wan't to know anything i've not covered. Safe
    post edited by IKOS - 2017/04/19 16:14:55
    gavinx
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 16:05:15 (permalink)
    Syzlack_23
    I would use MailChimp for campaigns.

CC is all subscription now, but I wouldn't bother with the whole package. InDesign is all you'll need to create booklets and brochures etc etc HTH

agreed on both points

personally i find photoshop a lot easier to use though
    Autograff
    • Total Posts : 11717
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 16:44:37 (permalink)
    Yeah if you want Adobe you're going to have to go for CC on subscription or buy an older version and not get the same support. I prefer Photoshop but InDesign will do also.

I used Lynda.com to help me along a little when I first started, got some good guides. Although you will need to subscribe to that too. 
    post edited by Autograff - 2017/04/20 08:45:45
    Jimmy2Shoes
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 18:30:59 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.

Still not sure what route I'm going to go down. Might just carry on with paying my mate everytime I want something doing, he can take ages to get the work done but I suppose that's what you get when chucking him £50 a time.
    boomhauer
    • Total Posts : 4704
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 20:49:06 (permalink)
    Not Photoshop. 
    InDesign may be ok, but I'd honestly just use Illustrator. If you're opening up documents that we're not created by yourself its the best option.
    Kola Nut
    • Total Posts : 26307
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/19 22:01:43 (permalink)
    Mail... kimp?

Drumshit Radio. Every Thursday 12pm.
    gavinx
    Re: @ creative types 2017/04/20 10:10:25 (permalink)
    Kola Nut
    Mail... kimp?

ha ha. yeah some of these are gold https://mailchimp.com/did-you-mean/ 
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0