Helpful ReplyHot!Inner city life - Burial remix

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
FocalShift
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 08:39:34 (permalink)
cutting out charlemagne for a weaker vocal, if a remix doesn't improve the original or is up to the same level it's shit for me. too much crackly crap as well. doesn't give me an incredible feeling of city isolation and wonder like inner city life does.
Flow Joe
  • Total Posts : 1537
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 08:41:27 (permalink)
darkmatter
"friends don't get it"

yeah neither do I, what a mess

Goldie's been cracking me up in interviews of late. He has developed a deeper understanding of his/others' work he rates, whereby if you don't get it/like it, you're simply sleeping ha.
Geordie007
  • Total Posts : 19639
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 08:44:06 (permalink)
About 2 mins of it was alright then it just got noisy and not good noisy either
SmokedEggs
  • Total Posts : 2101
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 08:45:39 (permalink)
I like the track - but the vocal sounds out of time and out of tune - incredibly jarring.
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18038
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 08:50:33 (permalink)
Surprised it's the vocal that grates on everyone most actually. For me it's the completely overpowering wide noise over everything and the beat.

You know when you have to start checking other browser tabs to see whether something else is playing in the background?

MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 17124
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 09:17:02 (permalink)
The white noise is expected though, it's a Burial thing isn't it.. as is the un-quantized everything. 

It's ok, definitely more interesting than I anticipated. I was expecting just a load of swooshing noises and crackle with a vocal washing in & out every so often, it has a decent beat at least. Probably not something I'd buy unless it was right in front of me - one for the beards really. 

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
Instinkt
  • Total Posts : 4139
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 16:45:06 (permalink)
Sounds like a rough pencil sketch of hardcore :D Preferred it more towards the end, the beginning not so much. Weird production, proper messy and unfinished lol !
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 4934
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 17:02:00 (permalink)
Shiverman
This is awful. I'm pretty sure that whoever was Burial has decided to hand it off to someone else, last few releases have been garbage

It just sounds like someone is clanging Inner City Life into a Burial tune. The only thing I really liked is the piano patch on the breakdown. 

Burial's gradual demise since Untrue has been very disappointing to me. Untrue was an LP that, at the time, meant a lot to me - it still does. I've been waiting for him to release something of substance, something that feels 'finished' ever since and nothing has ever materialised. It's been mostly half-arsed, notebook sketch unfinished rubbish. I don't get what he's trying to do. I think the only thing that really got me was Kindred - I still love the vibe on that tune.

He's almost become a parody of himself. Shame. 

Fortunately there's a lot of very good ambient / soundscape stuff out there which I've found through Dream Catalogue and other Vaporwave-esque labels. It's just that most of it is missing the garage / jungle influences of early Burial material.
post edited by dazdsb - 2017/04/19 17:05:19
IKOS
  • Total Posts : 35871
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 19:34:08 (permalink)
After a couple more goes i'm just baffled as to why he treated the vocal like that. I don't mind admitting when i'm wrong, i must have been too caught up in the excitement to really process it objectively.

The limp attempt at an explanation i gave for the vocal yesterday still kind of makes sense to me and i think it stands up better than anything else i've come up with so far but why he would make such a statement in a tune of this importance is a real head scratcher. Another thing that occurred to me was could it have been a sign of respect to Goldie and the tune? Like him kind of saying 'i wouldn't wish to attempt to better it' I'm clutching at straws i realise but there has to be a reason, a reason that both Burial and Goldie talked about and agreed on. I can't imagine Goldie not saying on the first listen 'Tell me about the vocal placement'

I really really like the tune but i have to be honest and admit i've completely changed my mind with regards to it as a remix. I would like the tune much more without the vocal. I was obviously just excited because it was Burial remixing one of my favorite songs of all time. Having really listened a few times now i think it's a big tune but it's lost all the emotional depth that makes ICL what it is. It could have been so much more.

I don't think there's anyone better qualified to get under the skin of the emotions that flow from ICL but he doesn't seem to have even attempted to channel the essence of the song or tried to let it shine through at all, let alone taken it even further and deeper, which if anyone could have Burial could have.

He obviously must know what an honor it is to be given the go ahead to do this remix but i don't know Burial or how he's doing at the moment, maybe he worked his fingers to the bone and nearly lost his mind obsessing over every imaginable detail while making this. Maybe he was just looking for a cheque and didn't care. I really can't really see that being the case though, no way does he need the money and Goldie would never let something pass until he was properly into it, so i'm stumped. I'd love to be able to ask Burial about the thought process behind it. Would be fascinating.
Flow Joe
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 21:13:20 (permalink)
To be fair to Burial, he was out of his depth regardless of current form, & this rmx has highlighted where his strengths & weaknesses lie.

It's clear Goldie gave him the opportunity due to being able to capture city life, & he has done his job in that respect. However, the orig. mix is so precise/structured etc (you can almost see it in your mind's eye), he never stood a chance. I imagine the vibe is why G gets it, & the structure is why his friend's don't, especially if they're dnb djs.

The only way it could've worked is if Burial was brought in the studio with G, & then he ironed it all out afterwards, keeping the feel. Saying that, would kind of be like sending Photek a Dilla swing beat. Interested to hear the other rmx; it may be what we know, though will def. be executed tightly.
dreamworld
  • Total Posts : 4368
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 21:29:46 (permalink)
FocalShift
too much crackly crap as well.

I presume its supposed to give the illusion of pirate radio. 

Quite like this track after a couple of listens.
firstofthefallen
  • Total Posts : 94
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/19 21:48:56 (permalink)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3bTJUbkKz0

Hated it upon the first listen, but it is beginning to grow on me...
OEM
  • Total Posts : 32360
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/20 09:50:11 (permalink)
It's a load of shit. As a separate tune it's meh. Cobbled together with out-of-sync vocals it destroys everything the track used to be.

And thanks for the wall of text itt.

MF182
  • Total Posts : 5969
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/21 11:58:08 (permalink)
Just listened to it. I had to pause halfway through because I thought there was another track playing in a different tab in my browser. Fucking tune is all over the place. 

gavinx
  • Total Posts : 6962
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/21 12:39:52 (permalink)
never heard this before but it's pretty cool

burial and goldie - deity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo80lgm9GrM

Myxomatosis
  • Total Posts : 6120
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/21 14:56:11 (permalink)
Reminded me a little of that DJ Catsbee (sp?) remix 

Anyone got a link to that? Can't find it 

hello dave.....
MalcolmTucker
  • Total Posts : 1122
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/21 14:59:48 (permalink)
Myxomatosis
Reminded me a little of that DJ Catsbee (sp?) remix 

Anyone got a link to that? Can't find it 

Yeah, I can't find any of his stuff either. Really need MERCONARY back in my life.
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 4467
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/21 16:03:46 (permalink)
I quite like it.
dreamworld
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/21 17:42:21 (permalink)

The '2017' mix. Whut 
James OD
  • Total Posts : 12058
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/21 17:57:33 (permalink)
What a mess.

Needs quantize.

Flow Joe
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/21 19:12:56 (permalink)
Took a cool leaf out of Burial's book. That mix sounds like the difference between his current engineer & Rob Playford.

I don't think Goldie has done himself any favours releasing this to coincide with the new L.P. He REALLY wants it to surpass Timeless, yet all the new clips & this have done is highlight how much he's limited without Rob, & becoming increasingly behind the cutting edge. Gutted, as thought he'd go out with an almighty bang.
dreamworld
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/21 19:32:11 (permalink)
I suppose it'll go down well with those who don't own the original record as its getting increasingly expensive and probably will never get a repress.

Yeah I read he said his new album was his best work ever, I guess we'll see about that!
Flow Joe
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/21 20:01:46 (permalink)
Yep, he's been plagued by his first L.P (in his own words), & wants to better it. That's all well & good, showing hunger, & maybe he does genuinely believe it is. However, you can't force it by telling everyone it's better at every turn, saying they won't get it at first, He knows as well as anyone it doesn't work like that, & has to happen naturally.

I listened to the new L.P clips before they were removed, & whilst it's miles better than any associated artist's work this year, no amount of ego will make it Timeless.
dreamworld
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/21 21:06:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Grade 2017/04/24 04:52:50
It would plague anyone trying to better that but it wasn't just his LP, it was one of the best engineers the scene ever had who made it happen who seems to have been quietly written out of the story. He didn't even get a mention at the Timeless concert, I heard they fell out but still 

I love so much of his work but he worked with fantastic engineers during his golden era. There's having the ideas and being able to execute them, if you can't do the second part yourself you are only going to be as good as the person doing it for you and there aren't many that are as good as Rob was.
post edited by dreamworld - 2017/04/21 22:04:21
Xception3
  • Total Posts : 143
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/22 06:12:27 (permalink)
not feeling it at all. If it was someone else other than Burial that had produced this everyone would be saying how poor it is ... track is all over the shot
Spector
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/22 08:34:55 (permalink)
absolute toilet
Instinkt
  • Total Posts : 4139
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/22 09:14:20 (permalink)
2017 rebuild is a tasteful update, beats, bass really good. Shame the vocal is off kilter, way too fast in places. Not sure how they managed to miss it, surely it was sent around a few times for approval. Could have been a really nice update!
GSV
  • Total Posts : 444
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/22 10:34:32 (permalink)
FocalShift
Doesn't give me an incredible feeling of city isolation and wonder like inner city life does.

Fucking lol

If nothing else at least burial will get some highly respectable production tips.
Flow Joe
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/23 16:15:02 (permalink)
I personally don't think Burial should be held in absolute contempt for his rmx. Yes, it needs tons of work (despite being his style), though at least he didn't tiptoe around it like the other mix.

Been looping it lots & once you get past the departure from the orig., the darker/rawer approach could've worked, had Goldie helped. Would like to see G rmx his rmx.
post edited by Flow Joe - 2017/04/23 16:32:42
skwifffer
  • Total Posts : 1302
Re: Inner city life - Burial remix 2017/04/23 20:53:51 (permalink)
I bought this today without listening to it first. Now I'm scared to. 
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0