Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 19065
2017/03/24 09:29:48 (permalink)

no
smolsky
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/24 10:09:40 (permalink)
Wouldn't mind bagging Still VIP if it gets its own vinyl release. Don't suppose they can get Charade out there somehow

Interesting to get the truth about the Photek tracks.
MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 16956
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/24 10:24:44 (permalink)
smolsky
Don't suppose they can get Charade out there somehow

It's owned by Sony so unlikely I would've thought.

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
wiseacre
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/24 10:41:27 (permalink)
there's another post where they said they were in discussions with sony over potential prototype years re-issues, so who knows...........

no
dreamworld
  • Total Posts : 4031
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/24 10:41:36 (permalink)
Still VIP is owned by Sony too I presume. I cut it on dub years ago, wicked tune

Interesting post
Spartacus Mills
  • Total Posts : 10461
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/24 11:02:37 (permalink)
mrEQ
smolsky

I thought Rider gave this away some years ago..?
wiseacre
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/24 11:15:29 (permalink)
he played it on the radio so people could record it, so it's not the best quality and has some talking over the end.

no
smolsky
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/24 11:18:08 (permalink)
Gifmaster Flex
mrEQ
smolsky

I thought Rider gave this away some years ago..?

He put an MP3 of it out there but would be good to get it in vinyl as I don't do digital.
dreamworld
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/24 19:19:21 (permalink)
Hang about, didn't someone on discogs get their hands on a TP of One Nation / Say It and share it?
dreamworld
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/24 19:22:15 (permalink)
Also it states 35 people have it so its pretty obvious it must exist.

edit, someone already pointed this out to them in the replies and this was the response:
Test presses may have made it out there, but unfortunately there was no agreement to go forward with a formal release. Perhaps there was some legal problem with 'Say It', but whatever the reason, Rider confirms there was no B-side for a proper release.
post edited by dreamworld - 2017/03/24 19:29:23
mouse oxford
  • Total Posts : 1723
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/24 21:02:29 (permalink)
Funnily enough i was digging through my old bits and having a listen to some of these last night. Kilimanjaro, Still, Going gets Tough, Threshold, Moving 808's.... so many absolute tunes that have all aged exceptionally.

BUT.... why represses? You can buy copies of most of the back catalogue second hand on discogs for about the price of a new release 12 anyway?  They don't need to be mint to be enjoyed and played out. 

I don't understand the need to repress readily available tunes. The vinyl pressing plants are already full of 180 gram coloured vinyl editions of fleetwood mac LP's that you can buy in a second hand shop for 50p, just so the hipsters can buy them in urban outfitters to take home and frame. 

It means that small independent labels now have to wait months and months to get their stuff pressed. 
dreamworld
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/24 21:15:39 (permalink)
Couldn't agree more, theres an episode of Fawlty Towers pressed onto vinyl for RSD this year. Why? 

There is a lot of great rare stuff being repressed at the moment as well, especially old skool Hardcore. Every day there seems to be something new coming out on a limited run, sometimes with unreleased remixes.

Brendon
  • Total Posts : 2433
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/25 10:09:19 (permalink)
Totally agree on the vinyl represses

Unless it's unreleased or mega rare what's the point

Releases of the tracks digitally is what most people want I guess

It sound like the TPs for PR006 were done before the B side was agreed, also isn't there some kind of glitch on the intro of One Nation? Again another reason why the release may have been cancelled

Would love a copy of it still though
Flow Joe
  • Total Posts : 1456
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/25 12:17:57 (permalink)
mouse
BUT.... why represses?

I don't understand the need to repress readily available tunes.

£££ for 'Rider, of course.

Personally think this unreleased/comeback hype is a load of nonsense.

Firstly, unreleased doesn't equal good. Amazing how many get excited over average tunes that didn't make it; had they been put out at the time, lots wouldn't even rate them highly. None of those Photek tracks meet Prototype's forward thinking standards of the 90s imo.

Secondly, 'Rider has a different vision of what constitutes 'future' now, so a comeback is likely to be party tunes, yet with a 'Headzy' slant to them. Wouldn't be surprised if he's already got something by Simon's Bassline Myth on board. Not being cynical, just realistic, going by his mentality of never looking back.

Only thing worth getting excited about would be a vinyl release of 'Charade', as that is actually a fantastic tune!
post edited by Flow Joe - 2017/03/25 12:20:11
rob future
  • Total Posts : 166
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/26 19:03:32 (permalink)
dreamworld
Couldn't agree more, theres an episode of Fawlty Towers pressed onto vinyl for RSD this year. Why? 

There is a lot of great rare stuff being repressed at the moment as well, especially old skool Hardcore. Every day there seems to be something new coming out on a limited run, sometimes with unreleased remixes.

An episode on vinyl? That's mad
wiseacre
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/26 20:03:14 (permalink)
Used to be a thing years ago. I had one I inherited from my grandparents' collection. And a goon show record too.

no
dreamworld
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/26 20:51:44 (permalink)
I inherited a bunch of these as a kid, really cool I wish I still had them.

https://www.discogs.com/label/101303-Century-21-Records

Here's the Fawlty Towers thing. I love that series tbf.

http://recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-releases/rsd-2017/fawlty-towers/

post edited by dreamworld - 2017/03/26 21:11:35
Flow Joe
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 08:17:55 (permalink)
Where would people like him to take the label in 2017?

I'm finding it difficult to see how 'Rider can come out smelling of roses. If he signs what is currently in his sets, he'll be gunned; if he suddenly begins supporting the 'deeper' artists then the u-turn will effectively show he'd lost his way.

The last thing I want to hear is poor imitations of Photek, Optical, rehashed jungle etc. Can't help thinking there is pretty much nobody worth signing, & the label has missed the boat by a decade. Last chance he had of assembling a team of artists anything like those on 'The Prototype Years' L.P would've been to sign Instra:mental, Martyn, 2562, Amit, D Kay & Lee, maybe System & a couple linked to Exit, 31 etc, & let them have free reign to do as they please. Not to say there aren't good tunes about, just nothing that can compliment the catalogue.
Daniel Snakeman
  • Total Posts : 31695
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 08:31:48 (permalink)
Not sure about that really, i think there's plenty of stuff that wouldn't sound out of place on Prototype.

This was the first thing that sprang to mind

Flow Joe
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 08:44:18 (permalink)
That tune has been done many times before, & better.

I don't doubt there are tunes around that have a similar sound to the label, just nothing that matches the standard, or takes it forward. That's ok for other labels/the music in general is it can't always be a development, though based on 'Rider's ethos with the label, it has to add something fresh. Hence why I mentioned Instra:mental, Martyn etc, they have taken in the history, yet have a hunger to move on too, which is vital.
Daniel Snakeman
  • Total Posts : 31695
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 08:58:58 (permalink)
Flow Joe
That tune has been done many times before, & better.

I don't doubt there are tunes around that have a similar sound to the label, just nothing that matches the standard, or takes it forward. That's ok for other labels/the music in general is it can't always be a development, though based on 'Rider's ethos with the label, it has to add something fresh. Hence why I mentioned Instra:mental, Martyn etc, they have taken in the history, yet have a hunger to move on too, which is vital.

The emboldened part is completely subjective and so i'm not going to waste my time posting loads of tunes for you to say aren't as good as the old things, imo there's tunes about which are as good or better.

The point about Rider's "ethos" is completely negated by the existence of The Odyssey.
Law
  • Total Posts : 62463
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 09:03:07 (permalink)
I listen to Rider's show on Rinse and he seems to play all styles nowadays. A lot of jump up yes, but the odd heavier (often amen) thing.

It probably will be some hard edged jump up stuff wont it?
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 26870
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 09:04:14 (permalink)
Serum tunes.
Flow Joe
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 09:16:34 (permalink)
@Snakey: The opinion of good/bad is subjective, however, in the case of the tune you posted, it objectively isn't "taking it forward" as there's plenty of evidence out there of that style from many, many years ago.

That's the thing with 'Odyssey', he had a go then, got gunned, left it, now he's having another go, which is why I feel he shouldn't bother. The last man to have a decent crack at it was Rico from Darkestral, & he did that mainly due to finding Instra:mental. It was that period I highlighted initially, where 'Rider needed to step in (when all the cross-pollination was happening).
post edited by Flow Joe - 2017/03/27 09:21:11
MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 16956
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 09:28:35 (permalink)
Check the last Fabio & Groove show on Rinse, he plays at least one bit apparently due on Prototype.

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
Flow Joe
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 09:29:32 (permalink)
Will do mate, any good?
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 20257
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 13:00:38 (permalink)
I don't doubt that there are producers and tunes out there that can add some impressive new tracks and perhaps a positive direction for Prototype in 2017. What I doubt is that Grooverider has the ability to choose them.
He's one of the most 'household' names in DJing and yet doesn't seem to have put together a half decent DJ set in about 15 years.

Flow Joe
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 14:34:24 (permalink)
Based on his current style, perhaps the best thing to do would be to start a side label for it (like he did with 'Special Dedication'), & leave Prototype be.

At least then he could use his considerable influence to help raise the bar in the jump-up corner of the music, by cherry picking the ones with a bit more longevity.

Surely that has to be more of a positive step than signing clones of the top 10 innovators; I imagine he has been inundated with those already. If I know 'Rider, then those kind of tunes would annoy him.
Brendon
  • Total Posts : 2433
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 17:56:49 (permalink)
Wasn't there a prototypes remix of the Pulse?

I'm hoping that's not the standard of music that's going to coming out on Prototype!!

Apart from the Avenger EP his productions are usually decent. If he used his label just for codename John I'd be happy as long as the output was better than the Avenger
Colin2013
  • Total Posts : 831
Re: Prototype comeback 2017/03/27 18:05:51 (permalink)
I was wrong about Andy C playing pure current Ram shite at his XOYO residency, but I would put money on Grooverider hoping to sign the next Chase and Status / Sigma and making some mainstream ££ rather than relaunching the label with the aim of pushing drum and bass forward.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0