Helpful ReplyHot!What happened to the valve soundsystem

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Slippery Mick
  • Total Posts : 4395
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/20 20:32:40 (permalink)
OEM
I thought that night at the custard factory was 06. It was simply ridiculous. That narrow entrance into the main area acted like a wind tunnel from the bass. I think it was towards the rear left-hand side where it felt like your heart was going to explode. Absolutely unforgettable and never repeated. People who left early could hear it from miles in residential streets.

I think I went a couple of years before that; they'd drained the pool and stuck the speakers in there. As you say it was like a wind tunnel, you could hear the windows rattling.

I miss the custard factory/med bar, such a great place.
Artical Don
  • Total Posts : 6427
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/20 20:35:25 (permalink)
Went to lakota last year for the valve night and it was tame compared to some of the aforementioned nights. Really quiet in comparison & dillinja was angry throughout.

OEM
  • Total Posts : 31833
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/20 21:12:38 (permalink)
It was pool marquee at Breakthru. The windows rattled in tune with the bass. So did the toilet doors, the ceiling tiles, overpowered all the other rooms lol. They turned the bass down but the mc stayed loud near the end. My ears were fucked for three days.

Bohbi1
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/20 22:49:40 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme
Bohbi1
I remember seeing it at global gathering in about 2004 and there was an environment protection person on the stage stopping them turning it up, aside from the odd couple of seconds when it sounded monstrous. How pointless.

I think you're mistaken my friend. They never took Valve to Global Gathering.

Those fairly regular nights at the Brunel rooms were something special. I've never heard a better soundsystem/venue combo.

I meant Gatecrasher.. as has been discussed.

Also remember seeing it at The Bomb in Nottingham, which is not a big space and a low ceiling, the levels were outrageous
FightMeIRL
  • Total Posts : 1090
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/20 23:59:40 (permalink)
What happened to Dillinja?

beat freak
  • Total Posts : 3371
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 01:32:20 (permalink)
It used to be pretty big at mass in Brixton despite I think them only being able to get about half the rig in there. I think the reason they stopped putting nights on there was because of how fucking tough it was lugging it up aaaaaalllllll them stairs.

Weirdest valve night was at The Connaught hotel near Holborn. Function room of a fancy hotel, drink tokens, plaster falling off the ceiling and seeing bloke in the bogs having a piss next to Andy C and asking him mid piss " Andy, why didn't you smash it?" Andy, with cock in hand, told him to fuck right off. Funny.
18pdh
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 06:00:48 (permalink)
That Connaught Rooms night was brilliant. Andy C, Ed Rush, Hype, Grooverider, not sure who else?. I remember walking in and thinking 'is this the famous Valve system? Not all that' and then had way through Rider's set they cranked it up and I could feel my hair moving due to the bass!! Monsterous! Also remember hearing I Wanna Be Your Lover by Carlito & Addiction and the low end making it sound like the biggest tune ever made! Was a very messy night so everything else is a blur!!
OEM
  • Total Posts : 31833
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 07:52:31 (permalink)
Reading these stories.. I want to go out to a rave with an oversize soundsystem real quick.

I've got a mate in Holland, which just so happened to have a festival on the weekend I went to visit him. Funktion 1. The fucking set up was insane. Concert size speaker stacks in a room barely able to fit 300 people. It was dark and minimal techno. The drops were so heavy it blurred your vision. You couldn't even sip your drink, it was so intense.

Very nice surprise seeing as it was unplanned.

Daniel Snakeman
  • Total Posts : 31622
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 08:00:19 (permalink)
I was at that Connaught Rooms night, the drinks tokens were a huge jar.

As was every dj playing ska about 10 times each.
beat freak
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 09:41:20 (permalink)
Yeah those drinks tokens. I seem to remember them being non refundable and them closing the bar early/serving water only. People not happy at all, myself included. I walked out with about £15 of raffle tickets in my wallet.
Kenny Rogers
  • Total Posts : 19737
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 09:47:35 (permalink)
beat freak
Yeah those drinks tokens. I seem to remember them being non refundable and them closing the bar early/serving water only. People not happy at all, myself included. I walked out with about £15 of raffle tickets in my wallet.

They used them at Slammin Vinyl in Shepton Mallet for a few years. One year I had about 20 left so ended up taking a huge case of Ribena home with me in the taxi.

Did anyone else go to the Valve night at the Gaiety Suite on Southsea Pier? The Pier was about 100 years old and looked a bit rickety - I was paranoid the Valve Soundsystem was going to collapse the whole fucking thing. It was so strange getting a drink at the bar, going over by the window for a dance, looking outside and realising you're in the middle of the fucking ocean.

Just googled it - the Pier's been condemned due to safety issues since 2012. I bet Dillinja broke it
post edited by gutlessrhyme - 2017/03/21 09:54:27

Griff
  • Total Posts : 8054
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 10:09:49 (permalink)
Artical Don
Went to lakota last year for the valve night and it was tame compared to some of the aforementioned nights. Really quiet in comparison & dillinja was angry throughout.

Never went Lakota for Valve, went Creation, Bristol Academy and Brunel Rooms though.  

Sounded absolutely rough at Brunel Rooms and Creation.  Man I miss Creation. 
Whagwan
  • Total Posts : 22236
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 10:32:32 (permalink)
Creation was good.
Autograff
  • Total Posts : 11717
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 14:18:07 (permalink)
JAWA
Autograff
willfunk
Ye used to go the octagon in Sheffield every year for it. Amazing system.

Was talking to a friend about this the other day. Saying it's a shame it doesn't happen anymore.

Darkmatter probably nailed it TBH.

Some of my favourite ever nights out. Line ups were usually pretty good for valve.

Yep, remember seeing Mala on it which was ridiculous. 
dreamworld
  • Total Posts : 3948
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 15:10:09 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme
One year I had about 20 left so ended up taking a huge case of Ribena home with me in the taxi.

lol
beat freak
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 15:18:50 (permalink)
dreamworld
gutlessrhyme
One year I had about 20 left so ended up taking a huge case of Ribena home with me in the taxi.

lol
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
  • Total Posts : 20695
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 15:24:12 (permalink)
OEM
Reading these stories.. I want to go out to a rave with an oversize soundsystem real quick.

Same, but then I remember how awful jump up has become and am happy to not bother 
Kenny Rogers
  • Total Posts : 19737
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 15:33:03 (permalink)
go to xoyo and be mugged or not appreciated, guys

w1003
  • Total Posts : 3332
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/21 15:53:52 (permalink)
Yer Oem i'm sure some more recent funktion ones could give valve a run for their money. Heard some ridiculous set ups on par with vavle. Rumble in norwich had a fairly painful rig.

sigs have returned

BRB
Leer0y
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/22 09:41:49 (permalink)
It was rumored locally that Lemon D's only merrits to DNB were his carpentry skills which went into the production of the soundsystem. Thus, he was a token addition to every valve lineup.
Artical Don
  • Total Posts : 6427
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/22 10:18:00 (permalink)
He was the cameraman at the last valve night I went to.

dreamworld
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/22 10:37:59 (permalink)
He was half owner of the label wasn't he?
LHC
  • Total Posts : 5723
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/22 10:59:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby simon.r 2017/03/22 12:11:19
Always stayed to watch the other DJs though
Autograff
  • Total Posts : 11717
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/22 11:16:37 (permalink)
Last time Valve was at The Octagon Lemon D played an amazing Footwork set.
dreamworld
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/22 11:52:38 (permalink)
First Hardcore record I ever bought was Lemon D, DJ on Wax EP. Awesome 12.
The Waco Kid
  • Total Posts : 43347
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/22 12:09:07 (permalink)
There were a few spots at the Brunel Rooms in Swindon that felt like I was getting full organ failure from the bass. Couldn't breathe, couldn't see properly because my eyeballs were involuntarily moving, couldn't put your drink down anywhere. Good times.

Griff

Never went Lakota for Valve, went Creation, Bristol Academy and Brunel Rooms though.  

Sounded absolutely rough at Brunel Rooms and Creation.  Man I miss Creation. 

Those Creation nights were amazing. Probably my favorite club ever.

Griff
  • Total Posts : 8054
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/22 13:08:19 (permalink)
Yeah me too, the place was perfect.  My first rave was there, a Metalheadz night with Goldie and Randall, and I took my first E there as well, so there's probably a fair amount of nostalgia involved, but the club was amazing still. 
Marcus-Darkus
  • Total Posts : 13472
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/22 13:15:56 (permalink)
Padawan
They took it to Gatecrasher Soundsystem in 2002 and played it at bathroom radio volume. Awful day out.

I was there, it was a joke, remember Lemon D walking past and questioning him why it was so shit - He said the authorities were there and on the case. You could talk to your mate next to you, totally ruined the rave.

Mad P - "On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me,
Afghani Black on a big rock the living mampi."

Marcus-Darkus
  • Total Posts : 13472
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/22 13:25:10 (permalink)
18pdh
That Connaught Rooms night was brilliant. Andy C, Ed Rush, Hype, Grooverider, not sure who else?. I remember walking in and thinking 'is this the famous Valve system? Not all that' and then had way through Rider's set they cranked it up and I could feel my hair moving due to the bass!! Monsterous! Also remember hearing I Wanna Be Your Lover by Carlito & Addiction and the low end making it sound like the biggest tune ever made! Was a very messy night so everything else is a blur!!

Was the weirdest venue ever. I had a flashback in the bog and realised I'd been to a murder mystery Xmas do there 5 years before.

Ed Rush killed it, never have I fucked my ears up so bad in all my life. It felt like I had a tambourine in my ear for 12 hours after .

Mad P - "On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me,
Afghani Black on a big rock the living mampi."

Hector Savage
  • Total Posts : 2349
Re: What happened to the valve soundsystem 2017/03/22 13:33:40 (permalink)
Saw it a few times. Once in Oxford and other times at the Brunel rooms in Swindon. Swindon was just ridiculous. It wasn't until the breakdown of a tune that you could tell what the fuck was playing. There's loud and there's loud.

I guess another reason it doesn't get used these days is the fact that modern jump up doesn't actually have any bass. It's all high end noises.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0