Helpful ReplyHot!Production Thread (for old men)

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 15
Author
Kola Nut
  • Total Posts : 26307
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/02/15 10:54:04 (permalink)
https://soundcloud.com/kentpricks

And don't you forget it.

Drumshit Radio. Every Thursday 12pm.
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 26700
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/02/15 11:01:44 (permalink)
Papa Remix though.
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3320
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/02/16 13:42:38 (permalink)
Cherno Samba
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/02/16 13:56:18 (permalink)
Smokey McPot
Papa Remix though.

Original > remix
rob future
  • Total Posts : 166
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/02/22 12:24:11 (permalink)
The struggle to get stuff onto pro labels is just so mentally exhausting. 6 years I’ve been producing, fair few releases now, first album this year. I had two tunes signed to a well known pro label but then canned, another tune considered by another known one but then not taken eventually.

It’s all taking it’s toll recently, what with the dayjob meaning roughly 70hrs every week working pretty much always solo, hardly any sleep.

I’ve seen £218 for all of this. It’s difficult when you get to this stage but also I’m well aware that to quit now would be blindingly stupid as I’m so close.
MalcolmTucker
  • Total Posts : 970
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/02/22 12:47:51 (permalink)
rob future
The struggle to get stuff onto pro labels is just so mentally exhausting. 6 years I’ve been producing, fair few releases now, first album this year. I had two tunes signed to a well known pro label but then canned, another tune considered by another known one but then not taken eventually.

It’s all taking it’s toll recently, what with the dayjob meaning roughly 70hrs every week working pretty much always solo, hardly any sleep.

I’ve seen £218 for all of this. It’s difficult when you get to this stage but also I’m well aware that to quit now would be blindingly stupid as I’m so close.

There are plenty of examples of people who spent a long time in the hinterlands for whom it suddenly all clicked into place and they blew-up (relatively speaking). That said there's plenty of people who just simply don't have it in them to write decent tunes (that guy who posts on here occasionally and talks about units being a prime example). I don't know which applies to you but pretty much all talented people get recognised eventually and some who aren't do aswell so best to stick with it.

dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 4189
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/02/22 13:35:50 (permalink)
Something I'm working on at the moment:

Something I worked on a while ago and didn't finish:

Something I finished a while back in the same style: 

rob future
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/02/22 14:26:47 (permalink)
MalcolmTucker
There are plenty of examples of people who spent a long time in the hinterlands for whom it suddenly all clicked into place and they blew-up (relatively speaking). That said there's plenty of people who just simply don't have it in them to write decent tunes (that guy who posts on here occasionally and talks about units being a prime example). I don't know which applies to you but pretty much all talented people get recognised eventually and some who aren't do aswell so best to stick with it.

Oh yeh I’m not giving in even if it takes til I’m 40 (only another 7 years)

I understand the sound required from big labels much better now after working a bit with Charge and Bad Taste, actually had a colab with Swift until he decided it wasn’t quite good enough. As obvious as it might seem sometimes you overthink things and fuck up the balance of the mix without realising.

There’s a couple of my tunes on the previous page, inc the former-colab one.

I’m taking most of April off work to camp in the studio and try to get an LPs worth of pro tunes done. One’s that’d be good for a Bad Taste or better. It’ll be amazing having this time, as even though I get about 9pm-12am after work I’m often well tired.
MalcolmTucker
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/02/22 14:44:16 (permalink)
rob future
MalcolmTucker

I understand the sound required from big labels much better now after working a bit with Charge and Bad Taste, actually had a colab with Swift until he decided it wasn’t quite good enough. As obvious as it might seem sometimes you overthink things and fuck up the balance of the mix without realising.

I’m taking most of April off work to camp in the studio and try to get an LPs worth of pro tunes done. One’s that’d be good for a Bad Taste or better. It’ll be amazing having this time, as even though I get about 9pm-12am after work I’m often well tired.

Yeah tunes are good - got that 98-02 tech sound which I love. The first one would mix well with Noisia - Facade btw. 
rob future
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/02/22 15:04:33 (permalink)
MalcolmTucker
rob future
MalcolmTucker

Yeah tunes are good - got that 98-02 tech sound which I love. The first one would mix well with Noisia - Facade btw. 

Thanks a couple of people have said that - that's just about what I'm aiming at though, late 90s-mid00's ideas, but more current sound.

Just got to keep at it eh
Kola Nut
  • Total Posts : 26307
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/02/22 15:27:17 (permalink)
I've decided that now I'm going to become a jungle don. Watch out.

Drumshit Radio. Every Thursday 12pm.
rob future
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/06 10:49:31 (permalink)
I've used an acapella from a pack, which is unusual for me, and was wondering if it's been used in any tunes before. I don't recognise it from anything myself but I'm a bit hit and miss with knowing popular tunes:

https://soundcloud.com/futureshock-1/ships-in-the-night-1
MalcolmTucker
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/06 11:30:03 (permalink)
That vocal isn't really doing that track any favours. It's out of key and just doesn't suit. Get rid of it.

Break is nice though
rob future
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/06 11:41:50 (permalink)
Tbh I was in two minds whether to sack it off and have no vox, and just shorten the drop.

Just without anything else over the top of the break it sounds like it's missing something.

Though this could just be my trademark overthinking things again
Sheriff Lobo
  • Total Posts : 2353
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/06 11:42:02 (permalink)
MalcolmTucker
That vocal isn't really doing that track any favours. It's out of key and just doesn't suit. Get rid of it.

Break is nice though

+1

The vocal coming in straight in at 1.06 really takes something away from the drop and then is a bit distracting and sometimes a bit out of key... the secondary drop at 1:50 (without vocal) is really nice and weighty tho. You should build the track around that bit IMO. 

Law
  • Total Posts : 62202
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/06 12:15:56 (permalink)
That vocal needs to be destroyed and never spoken of again. Other than that it's decent.
rob future
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/06 12:31:16 (permalink)
Haha, I just thought it was a bit different though I myself wasn't totally sold on it.

I guess if there's ever any doubt in your mind you should drop the sound.

I will get rid and bring that later part forward, I think that was also a good suggestion.

Cheers
Law
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/10 11:08:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jamie S23 2017/03/10 12:38:16
Mad a playlist of nearly all our productions over the last few years. About three due on vinyl not listed yet though.

https://soundcloud.com/drumtrip/sets/law-wheeler-productions 

Pretty varied if I do say so myself. I'm not sure we really have a style. Is that a good or bad thing? Both I guess?
Ascension
  • Total Posts : 6202
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/10 12:51:47 (permalink)
rob future
Couple of my new ones, each were being looked at by two big labels but after a few email back and forths etc they decided they weren't quite there which was pretty gutting tbh, so today I'm sending them out & about again. Any pointers welcome. Techy dancefloor business.

https://soundcloud.com/futureshock-1/traditional-1/s-pLoMV

https://soundcloud.com/futureshock-1/virtual-reality-1/s-3ah7t

Both sound well produced, Traditional's  bassline does sound almost exactly like Noisia - Facade, though.

*Edit, I see this has been mentioned already, ignore me 
post edited by Ascension - 2017/03/10 12:52:55
Ascension
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/10 12:54:33 (permalink)
dazdsb

That's really nice, like that.
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 4189
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/10 12:57:16 (permalink)
Ascension
dazdsb

That's really nice, like that.

Wow, thanks man - really appreciate the kind words. 
Ascension
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/10 12:59:19 (permalink)
Law
Mad a playlist of nearly all our productions over the last few years. About three due on vinyl not listed yet though.

Pretty varied if I do say so myself. I'm not sure we really have a style. Is that a good or bad thing? Both I guess?

Not heard Euclid or Emerald Hill before, good stuff.
Soul Beat Runna
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/10 15:23:16 (permalink)
Law

I really like Greyscale, got a cool Blade Runner vibe. I'm surprised that no one's picked it up yet cos it's dead gud. Any chance you'll be releasing it on Repertoire? I'd love to buy a copy.

Soul Beat Runna
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/10 15:24:32 (permalink)
Two from me, would like to know what people think of Inhale in particular

soundcloud.com/soul-beat-runna/inhale
soundcloud.com/soul-beat-runna/fly-by-wire
Law
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/10 15:28:31 (permalink)
Soul Beat Runna

I really like Greyscale, got a cool Blade Runner vibe. I'm surprised that no one's picked it up yet cos it's dead gud. Any chance you'll be releasing it on Repertoire? I'd love to buy a copy.

Safe mate. Not really sent it about much really. Not sure what to do with it. Probably well over a year old now.
Soul Beat Runna
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/10 15:30:57 (permalink)
Law
Soul Beat Runna

Safe mate. Not really sent it about much really. Not sure what to do with it. Probably well over a year old now.

I think it would be right up Blu Mar Ten's street no?
Law
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/10 15:40:01 (permalink)
I might do a send at him them.
shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24369
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/10 16:18:06 (permalink)
Yeah that greyscale track is wicked mate. Liking that Emerald Hill one too.
0-AID
  • Total Posts : 9389
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/13 16:36:15 (permalink)

"I don't rap for dead presidents, I'd rather see the president dead, It's never been said, But I set precedents and the standards, and they can't stand it.."
rob future
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2017/03/15 23:22:38 (permalink)
Law

You do have a style, it's quite old skool liquid/jazzy, just with more modern sounding production.

Like an updated version of the type of tunes you'd hear on the Artcore series.

Inevitability is my favourite of them, or possibly Natural Resource.

It was a good shout from someone before about Blu Mar Ten, a fair few of the tunes are reminiscent of their style
post edited by rob future - 2017/03/15 23:23:46
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 15
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0