Helpful ReplyHot!Production Thread (for old men)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 20
Author
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 21016
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/08 09:27:01 (permalink)
Oversight
been dicking about with this over the last couple of days if anyone fancies a listen?

https://soundcloud.com/ov...versight-i-can-feel-it

Really like the vibe on this one. Personally I think it could do with some heavier/beefier drums to complete it, though.
Nice work

Oversight
  • Total Posts : 1130
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/08 16:59:08 (permalink)
Cheers guys! @gutless your probably right tbh, my drums definitely have room for improvement (as does my bass, should probably just make ambient tbh) but yeah glad you're feeling it. Will go back to it this weekend with fresh ears and see what happens. Nice one for giving it a listen!
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3478
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/13 11:17:16 (permalink)
k, bit of advice/knowledge needed if any of you wise men can help. really want to start dabbling in a bit of beat making (just for fun, nothing serious) but am unsure about which direction i should take. ive used (very briefly) reason & ableton before but my big bugbear with software in the box is that it's a lot of staring at a computer screen fiddling with stuff with your mouse and it kills the vibe a bit. ive knocked out very rudimentary beats on ableton before and enjoy the realtive ease at which you can get something going, but really want something more hands on that i can bash about as it's more involved and fun

to that end, am trying to decide between an mpc, ni maschine and albeton push

who here has used what out of those 3 and could you recommend which one is best? have very briefly used an mpc before and it was a lot of fun for cutting up samples etc, and obviously it's a legedary piece of kit. ableton push seems, at first glance, like a more beefed up version of the mpc with the touch pads and what not but you get the added bonus that it comoes with abeton software too whch seems like a better daw/sequencer than the mpc/maschine software. maschine i dont really know at all

any advice would be hugely appreciated :)

Ascension
  • Total Posts : 6275
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/13 12:55:19 (permalink)
I bought Maschine back in April, found it far easier to live with and try and make beats than Logic and Reason before that, having dabbled in both some years ago.

Like you, I hate just sitting and staring at the screen clicking. Never used the other two, but Maschine has certainly stopped that annoyance for me.
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 4695
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/13 13:08:21 (permalink)
I found the workflow in Maschine to be a bit laborious initially but they've made it flow a bit better with recent updates. It's good for laying down quick ideas but I don't like doing all of the mastering / effects in Maschine. I normally write a drum pattern in full - all samples - ie. kicks, snares, hats, etc. and then when I've finished it I will duplicate the instance of Maschine in Ableton - one track for each sample and then master them individually, adding compression, EQ, reverb, etc. in Ableton using 3rd party instruments of VSTs. You can then treat each sample as it's own track.

I also use things like beat repeat and looper on things like snares, claps, hats, etc. to give them a bit more movement and life. The only problem with something like Maschine (and most drum machines, probably) is that working on a 4x4 16 pad grid is restrictive to creating interesting sounding drum-loops / patterns.

I currently use Maschine MK2 for drum-programming as explained above and I use Komplete Kontrol S49 - 49 key Native Instruments midi keyboard for playing everything else in. That Kontrol Keyboard has been a REAL source of creativity and inspiration for me in the last year - so easy to use and you really can't knock the Komplete Native Instrument package either - so many great instruments, synths and drum machines - all made to work with the keyboard. It's quite something - watch some YouTube videos of it.  

post edited by dazdsb - 2016/09/13 13:14:47
Griff
  • Total Posts : 8368
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/13 13:24:21 (permalink)
How many G-Shock's do you own Daz?! 
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 4695
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/13 13:29:21 (permalink)
12 at the moment lol - much to the dismay of this forum. 
Oversight
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/13 18:52:08 (permalink)
Personally i like working in the box, just having a half decent midi keyboard with pads for bashing stuff in is more than enough for me to feel like im getting my hands dirty. I do have a maschine, but tbh i just use it as a midi drum pad rather than using it as maschine, if that makes sense.

As ascension said up there ^ he's been using maschine (more or less exclusively) and has got some really decent results imo. I use reason, and i always have in one form or another, and because i know it pretty well (and tbh i've always found it really intuitive) it lets me get ideas down really quickly (the tune i posted above was made entirely in 2 3-hour sessions. If i was to switch to maschine or a new DAW my workrate would definitely slow down and that would be enough to kill the buzz for me i think.

I have used ableton round a mates house and was impressed at how quick it was to get stuff down and get a vibe going, if i was looking to switch DAWs (which im not) i think i would probably have a serious look at ableton.
post edited by Oversight - 2016/09/13 18:53:33
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 17966
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/14 18:21:21 (permalink)
I'd definitely get Ableton Push 2 out of those.

I want that as the complete package (with Operator, Sampler etc.).

It'd seem silly to get Maschine for me when more seamless integration with the DAW is available and I couldn't live without the parallel racks processing of VSTs in Ableton.

If I got an MPC it'd be as a coffee table thing, to piss around with making beats when I'm not sitting at the computer.

fonik
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/14 18:44:27 (permalink)
^ this is pretty much exactly what im thinking

been watching a few vids of them all and ive got it down to push vs mpc. the push seems very impressive, lots of functionality and can use as an mpc basically if you want. plus having used ableton before and enjoyed it, it seems the most logical as at least i have a v basic knoweldge of how the software works.

there's something about an mpc though, still really tempted by it, but as you say for something to mess around on. it's the cheapest option so thinking i could get an mpc to start with and then upgrade to push to make more complete tracks if the desire is there. its just i know how i am and am worried that whatever i get will just be some (expensive) toy that i'll get bored with after a while so its prob best to get the cheapest one haha

darkmatter
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/15 15:33:58 (permalink)
I guess just don't get fooled by the fact a lot of people look incredibly comfortable on an MPC in the youtube videos. They are intuitive but those guys have had a lot of practice. I've also noticed that they tend to start with nice clean samples, whereas the reality for me is that I end up having to spend a while doing sample prep and I need the DAW for that.

fonik
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/17 14:45:45 (permalink)
went for the mpc in the end. got a bit of discount from juno, sold a few old records i never played and it only ended up costing me £200, reckon it's well worth it for that price

it arrived this morning so gonna have a play around for a few days. will report back (if people care lol)
darkmatter
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/17 16:29:18 (permalink)
Ah I thought you meant the renaissance not the touch. Looks good still!

Law
  • Total Posts : 62888
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/20 08:27:24 (permalink)
Five different tracks me and a mate have been working on in the last couple of months.

https://soundcloud.com/essel/sets/law-wheeler-summer-2016-3 

Such a pain in the arse trying to find the time to sit down and get ideas down. Got three other tunes we have ideas for, and a bunch of samples laid out for each, but have actually done nothing in over three weeks.
Daniel Snakeman
  • Total Posts : 31776
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/20 08:35:11 (permalink)
1. Sophine remix
2. Euclid
3. Emerald Hill
4. Greyscale
5. Survivalist

#lists
Sheriff Lobo
  • Total Posts : 2422
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/20 10:09:13 (permalink)
Survivalist is bloody wonderful tune imo. That Sax sample gives me serious feels.

Are all these likely to be released in the near future on Repertoire? I would quite like to own them.
Law
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/20 10:30:04 (permalink)
Sheriff Lobo
Survivalist is bloody wonderful tune imo. That Sax sample gives me serious feels.

Are all these likely to be released in the near future on Repertoire? I would quite like to own them.

Safe Lobo.

Survivalist is supposed to be coming out on vinyl on a new label early next year.
And we're planning to put Sophine remix out on Repertoire at some point.

Still looking to get the others signed.
0-AID
  • Total Posts : 9417
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/22 10:36:43 (permalink)
fonik
went for the mpc in the end. got a bit of discount from juno, sold a few old records i never played and it only ended up costing me £200, reckon it's well worth it for that price

it arrived this morning so gonna have a play around for a few days. will report back (if people care lol)

Maschine > MPC.

I had an MPC2000 with JJ OS and sold it, it's so dated compared to Maschine!

Law

Survivalist is supposed to be coming out on vinyl on a new label early next year.
And we're planning to put Sophine remix out on Repertoire at some point.

Still looking to get the others signed.

That Sophine Remix is nice, when is it out?

"I don't rap for dead presidents, I'd rather see the president dead, It's never been said, But I set precedents and the standards, and they can't stand it.."
Law
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/22 10:37:56 (permalink)
No idea yet mate. Hope that helps!
0-AID
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/22 10:40:25 (permalink)
Law
No idea yet mate. Hope that helps!

Useless, see your PMs.

"I don't rap for dead presidents, I'd rather see the president dead, It's never been said, But I set precedents and the standards, and they can't stand it.."
Oversight
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/23 17:13:24 (permalink)
Law
Five different tracks me and a mate have been working on in the last couple of months.

https://soundcloud.com/essel/sets/law-wheeler-summer-2016-3 

Such a pain in the arse trying to find the time to sit down and get ideas down. Got three other tunes we have ideas for, and a bunch of samples laid out for each, but have actually done nothing in over three weeks.

Nice mate! especially feeling Emerald Hill and Sophine Remix
DNBADMAN
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/09/23 19:04:35 (permalink)
Euclid. Like this sort of sound (does it get that autonomic name or something)...only feedback I have is the mid rangey main snare- maybe switch it up to a crisper one for a few bars and see how it sounds.
Next
Greyscale. Lovely clip. Not feeling this as much as the last track but still nice.
Emerald hill. Nice snare. Like the warmth to that bass on the drop. Would like to hear some different keys towards the end of a 32 or something. That plucky sound works nice too.
Sophine. That pad. Mmm. Nostalgia. Classic sound to a new track. Works well. The whole thing. I'd probably buy this for mixing when smoked up and reminiscing.

Did I say nice, everything nice.
fonik
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/10/06 15:22:54 (permalink)
https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/one

https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/all-the-leaves-are-brown

my first attempts on the mpc. kind of think i shouldnt put them up for public cinsumption until im better at this but i reckon you dont learn unless you get a bit of feedback. if you give them a listen, let me know what you think? obviously very basic & simplistic but im pretty pleased for my first attempts.

(yes the mixdown on 'one' is absolutely atrocious but you cant do a great deal of mixing in the mpc software, or if you can, i havent figured it out yet)
0-AID
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/10/06 15:57:50 (permalink)
fonik
https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/one

https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/all-the-leaves-are-brown

my first attempts on the mpc. kind of think i shouldnt put them up for public cinsumption until im better at this but i reckon you dont learn unless you get a bit of feedback. if you give them a listen, let me know what you think? obviously very basic & simplistic but im pretty pleased for my first attempts.

(yes the mixdown on 'one' is absolutely atrocious but you cant do a great deal of mixing in the mpc software, or if you can, i havent figured it out yet)

They both sound like you're on the right track, just keep practicing and add sounds in all your patterns to keep it going.

I did this Hip Hop thing the other day:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxkoFYCDLEA6bFB4WTBmUkw1aDg

It's not finished but those strings really got me going.

fonik
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/10/19 19:34:56 (permalink)
^ those strings remind me of some old 90's dance tune. cant remember what though

few more from me if anyone fancies a listen

https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/wandering
https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/leone
https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/clap-funk
https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/something-jazzy

still basic but im improving i think, certainly know my way around everyting better and getting some idea as to effects/eq's etc on the channels & master. the mixdows are still shite though, they sound good in my over ear headphones but not great on anything else.

mad how your mind starts buzzing about different ideas/samples etc the more you do it, its like it swicthes on a whole other part of your brain, listening to stuff in a different way etc

Jamie S23
  • Total Posts : 16086
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/10/20 13:13:57 (permalink)
New remix competition coming on Monday!
Daniel Snakeman
  • Total Posts : 31776
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/10/20 13:38:17 (permalink)
fonik
^ those strings remind me of some old 90's dance tune. cant remember what though

few more from me if anyone fancies a listen

https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/wandering
https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/leone
https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/clap-funk
https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/something-jazzy

still basic but im improving i think, certainly know my way around everyting better and getting some idea as to effects/eq's etc on the channels & master. the mixdows are still shite though, they sound good in my over ear headphones but not great on anything else.

mad how your mind starts buzzing about different ideas/samples etc the more you do it, its like it swicthes on a whole other part of your brain, listening to stuff in a different way etc

These are all pretty heavy.

Thanks
darkmatter
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/10/20 14:05:49 (permalink)
fonik really nice vibes, needs moar bass though I reckon!

fonik
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/10/20 14:21:21 (permalink)
nice one snakey & darkmatter!

there is bass in there, super low sub though, hence what i said about not sounding good on anyting other than my over ear headphones
darkmatter
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2016/10/20 14:53:32 (permalink)
think it was 'wandering' and 'something jazzy' where I thought the bass could be worked on - and it's a subjective thing not objective really, I always feel a bit silly giving actual feedback on tunes for this reason

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 20
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0