Helpful ReplyHot!Production Thread (for old men)

Page: << < ..313233 Showing page 33 of 33
Author
21 21
  • Total Posts : 6650
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/16 16:15:14 (permalink)
thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated.

will keep working away at it and come back with something soon. 

glad people are liking the vibe 
Artical Don
  • Total Posts : 6659
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/16 17:29:23 (permalink)
fonik
dazdsb

just popped in to say this is v nice. shades of seba in those synth stabs.

Artical Don
New one I'm working on atm - https://soundcloud.com/sinai_uk/vimana/s-QwjzB

<3 love your tunes, this is sick, exactly my kind of d&b. i know its not finished but my only suggestion would be to add a high passed break or some hats or something in there after 32 bars or whatever to make a bit more rolling as a switch up? kind of sounds like you have put someting like that in after 32 but its just v quiet? snare is pretty (too?) loud also imo. always feel ike a cunt saying this stuff though as its quality as is

Yeh good advice, snare was defo too loud, as were all the drums ha. Fresh ears strike again.

SmokedEggs
Mate of mine made this recently:

https://soundcloud.com/humansynthetics/superior-beings

I like it.  Chilled out end of the night/chewing your face off/touching god vibe.   Feedback appreciated.

This is a cool idea, but drums need to be clearer & more pronounced imo, sounds a bit to spread out & verby atm.

Arcadian
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/16 19:17:45 (permalink)
Artical Don
New one I'm working on atm - https://soundcloud.com/sinai_uk/vimana/s-QwjzB

sick
is a that reversed snare at the beginning of the 2nd phase? love that
Artical Don
  • Total Posts : 6659
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/16 20:05:01 (permalink)
Cheers  It's a little mids hit. Have done a new edit, hopefully drums more balanced. https://soundcloud.com/sinai_uk/vimana-1/s-PPJVE

Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 28052
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/24 22:11:47 (permalink)
I’ve got a real itch to scratch to try some music production stuff, and was considering getting something like a Maschine Mikro to mess about with.

Obviously this will be disasterous because I won’t immediately be perfection, but does this sound like a reasonable entry point?

My last musical dalliance was learning the saxophone for a year when I was 13. I was not good.
21 21
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/24 22:19:21 (permalink)
Smokey McPot
I’ve got a real itch to scratch to try some music production stuff, and was considering getting something like a Maschine Mikro to mess about with.

Obviously this will be disasterous because I won’t immediately be perfection, but does this sound like a reasonable entry point?

My last musical dalliance was learning the saxophone for a year when I was 13. I was not good.

I've got the Maschine MK2 and don't rate it dude. I don't rate the DAW they make you use. I literally use it as a drum pad and it's awkward and limited and I suspect will frustrate you.

I would absolutely 100% recommend picking up an Ableton Push 2 and copy of Ableton. It's not super cheap and not SUPER easy to get into but it's pretty easy if you're happy to play about and find your own way around. I find that even with the Ableton synths / drums there is plenty to get started with. Then you can add extra synths / VSTs as you go.
Smokey McPot
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/24 22:23:33 (permalink)
Nice one, I tried ableton a few years back, and sort of understood it. A good mate, and good producer has Logic, so I was erring toward that.

In fact, I have ableton intro with my soundcard.
21 21
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/24 22:51:11 (permalink)
I think the Push 2 is just such a great controller. I don't use my midi keyboard (Komplete 49 from NI) or maschine at all. I should sell them really. The push 2 literally does everything.
Smokey McPot
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/25 09:47:35 (permalink)
Is the entry price worth it? for less than £200 I thought it would be alright to noodle about on, and if I get into it I can make some changes, if I dont, I can sell it on quite easily. £500+ for something I'm not certain on is a bit of a leap.
Colin2013
  • Total Posts : 1152
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/25 10:13:33 (permalink)
Smokey McPot
Is the entry price worth it? for less than £200 I thought it would be alright to noodle about on, and if I get into it I can make some changes, if I dont, I can sell it on quite easily. £500+ for something I'm not certain on is a bit of a leap.

Yeah that Maschine is a bargain, it’s a no brainier if you haven’t got one, you make stuff on your lap on the sofa. I presume it comes with the NI samples which are worth £200 on their own tbf.
0-AID
  • Total Posts : 9772
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/25 10:25:55 (permalink)
@Smokey, get it mate. If you're a hands on sort of person then it's the perfect balance between having hardware and the power of software. The DAW isn't even that bad once you get used to it. They keep updating the software and add features all the time.

There's also nothing stopping you from using Maschine as a plugin within Logic or your DAW of choice. If you want to make sick drums on the fly and mess around with samples, Maschine is a no brainer.

I'd definitely recommend it.

post edited by 0-AID - 2018/10/25 10:27:48

"I don't rap for dead presidents, I'd rather see the president dead, It's never been said, But I set precedents and the standards, and they can't stand it.."
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3779
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/25 11:39:16 (permalink)
just to add i was in the exact same place as you about a year or so ago. want to start dabbling, unsure whether to shell out loads of £ straight away or dip my toes in frst

i went for mpc studio just to get a taste, its about £200, and its a similar sort of thing to the maschine. as other have mentioned, the daw that comes bundled with it isnt the best, it v basic but its enough to get a feel for stuff and to have a mess around. again much like the maschine

i would recommend going this route rather than shelling out £1k ish for ableton + push straight off the bat!
Smokey McPot
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/10/25 13:09:26 (permalink)
Safe, ravers.

Annoying questions and crap noises soon come.
21 21
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/11/03 14:55:49 (permalink)

meeeh

little loop I messed about with this morning. 
Colin2013
  • Total Posts : 1152
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/11/08 21:34:06 (permalink)
https://soundcloud.com/user-138558465/make-up-free-selfie

Something I did tonight. 

Featuring a cheesy hip hop sample and an Amen for the headz.
Duderonomy
  • Total Posts : 3553
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/11/11 16:17:20 (permalink)
I like ^that^. Nothing cheesey about Big Daddy Kane imo.

Did some more fucking around with my Wu-Tang beat. Not sure if I've over-done it with the echo'd vocal snippets, but there's a bit more tune progression now:

https://soundcloud.com/1-...g/on-some-wu-tang-shit
Stamina MC
  • Total Posts : 17289
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/11/12 02:15:04 (permalink)
Duderonomy
Not sure if I've over-done it with the echo'd vocal snippets

You have a little bit, yeah. To my ears, it's unclear after listening as to what role those clips are intended to play in the tune. If it's the 'hook' or 'theme' of the track (either in lyrical content or just a vibe) then it could maybe feature less often, and perhaps take down the feedback somewhat on the delay taps. If it's only to be decorative/detail/an effect, then if not less frequent again then certainly not quite so loud and upfront in the mix.

There's stuff been written (that I'll be fucked if I'm gonna go look for) about how as humans we always hone in on voices, even within music, so to have those vocals which — at least in my view — are arguably not integral to the tune constantly redirecting my/your listeners' attention is not ideal. They'd be a nuisance if ever you got an emcee over this as well, thinking about it.
Duderonomy
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/11/12 10:51:57 (permalink)
Stamina MC

There's stuff been written (that I'll be fucked if I'm gonna go look for)

Lol, you had me at “You have a little bit, yeah”. Gone back and pruned most of the vocals, reduced the delay etc.
Really pleased with the tune changes I’ve made, just not very good at mastering (bass) or using compression.
Final stretch of the tune with the piano flicks hits me in the feels. Maybe I’ll try and pimp this to some labels.
_Nearly 50 FFS_
  • Total Posts : 15460
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/12/01 19:53:52 (permalink)
Couple of new bits on Soundcloud, a 'sounds of NY' double header:

Electro, 80's style - Al Naafyish style 808 drums - I literally copied the patterns from the tune and programmed them into my TR-08 - and pure NY samples, 2 in a Room, Frankie Bones etc - in an 80's electro vibe:

https://soundcloud.com/user-641547129/binar-and-mask-ny-freestyle-136-281018

A loving version of this stone cold Salsoul classic from the early 80s:

https://soundcloud.com/user-641547129/first-choice-let-no-man-downfromdayone-remix

Hope you like 
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3779
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/12/14 18:17:44 (permalink)
https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/shine-a-light

fucking around with a bit of jeru

whatever....
Duderonomy
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/12/18 11:08:49 (permalink)
fonik
https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/shine-a-light

fucking around with a bit of jeru

whatever....

I like this. Sounds a bit like a flip of the Spirit sample used for Big Kwam's verbalise.
Page: << < ..313233 Showing page 33 of 33
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0