Helpful ReplyHot!Production Thread (for old men)

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 30
Author
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 5808
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/09 19:27:29 (permalink)
Stamina MC
dazdsb
http://soundsofdsb.com/music/DNB070118.wav

my ears have heard this too many times now.

am I making a load of shit here or is it coherent?

Wow, that's some HAPPY shizzle right thurr, haha.

Feedback I have for you is that while it'll never not work having the sub follow the chords like that, it's pretty bait by now and does nothing to help make your track more memorable; it'll always be better (in theory) if you can come up with an actual b-line, better yet one that still holds listener attention once the chords aren't there. Back to the drawing board on those drums, though.

thanks for the feedback man, appreciated.

this track is weird and I'm not sure how I feel about it tbh lol

believe it or not it started out a bit of a plinky plonky Tokyo Prose sounding thing and then somehow ended up turning into some upfront euphoric hospital nonsense.

but yeah, I totally get the sub following chords being bait and the drums being weak. 

I'll have a play about and see if I can get something more interesting going on with the bline. 
Panacea
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/10 01:15:06 (permalink)
I like it, has potential, needs more clout.
Taylz
  • Total Posts : 1013
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/10 23:28:53 (permalink)
I think a amen would fill out the drums a bit if it was held back in the mix.

Law
  • Total Posts : 63978
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/11 13:17:22 (permalink)
Me and KOLA NUT did a new tune. About 1 hour in. AMENZ

https://soundcloud.com/repertoiresound/law-repertoire-excursion-17 
⚡ Evade ⚡
  • Total Posts : 7869
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/12 17:16:24 (permalink)
I did a remix of a tune called 'Hostile' by Supa Ape. The original was an amen rinse out (you can check it here: https://soundcloud.com/supaape/hostile ) so I took this in a slightly different direction. Was particularly pleased with the bassline. Let me know what you think. Cheers m8s

https://soundcloud.com/ev...de-remix-free-download

dazdsb
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/18 15:49:42 (permalink)
EDIT: Scrap that. Just realised my version of Komplete 10 is a crossgrade linked to my Maschine. It's not worth the hassle selling it with the software as I'd have to fork out for it again and it'd probably cost me more to do that. Fuck it. 

Maschine and Push 2 together then.  
post edited by dazdsb - 2018/01/21 20:12:02
Artical Don
  • Total Posts : 6620
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/21 13:40:14 (permalink)
Messing about with a moody 64bpm thing, first thing in a while!

https://soundcloud.com/sinai_uk/pressure

dazdsb
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/22 16:19:52 (permalink)
Artical Don
Messing about with a moody 64bpm thing, first thing in a while!

https://soundcloud.com/sinai_uk/pressure

I like this. 
Duderonomy
  • Total Posts : 3265
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/23 16:34:57 (permalink)

I've been very unproductive lately, and worry I'm going to be like Ikos with hundreds of unfinished tracks on my laptop. This is the only thing I've done recently that's worth sharing - familiar boom bap sample but I don't think it's been flipped like this before:

https://soundcloud.com/1-...ng/on-some-smooth-shit
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3764
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/23 16:37:41 (permalink)
^lovely stuff mate
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3764
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/23 17:05:42 (permalink)
https://soundcloud.com/iamspires/quick-loop/s-eYhZu

ive been bereft of ideas & inclination recently also. this is someting ive been half heartedly doing the past day or so. trying to cut out vocals from a full track is v hard, hence the little snippet in this sounds like shit. melody is my weak point also. i should start with a  good sample and go from there, i always do drums & bass (which i like in this one) and then  struggle to fit anyting around them
dazdsb
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/23 17:36:39 (permalink)
Duderonomy
and worry I'm going to be like Ikos with hundreds of unfinished tracks on my laptop. 

said every producer ever, lol. 

my mate sent me this the other day: 

nice beat though man! 
dazdsb
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/23 17:40:12 (permalink)
and yeah, I've been struggling for workflow recently too hence grabbing Push 2 for Ableton to try and speed things up. 

unfortunately it also meant buying the legit Ableton software - 2 laptop stands (one for Maschine MK2 and one for Push 2) to raise them above my keyboard, a new SSD drive and 2 new case fans for the PC (as for some weird reason I put my finger in the spinning blade of the existing fan and it snapped). 

Accidentally spent about £1400 on a whim this week. Hope it gets me back into the groove. 
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
  • Total Posts : 21332
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/24 12:07:09 (permalink)
Native Instruments doing a meetup if anyone is interested.... free to get in, just need to register for a ticket. 

LINK HERE

It is in Shoreditch... I will be in Studio 1 all day 

Schedule - 

The Hub Hang out // Hangout, network and get to know fellow Meetup members at your own pace.
[all day]

Studio 1 Komplete Room 
12:00 - 13:00 - Komplete 11 Overview: Absynth 5 & FM8
13:00 - 14:00 - Komplete 11 Overview: Rounds & Kontour
[break]
14:15 - 15:.15 - Komplete 11 Overview: Absynth 5 & FM8 [repeat]
15.15 -16.15 - Komplete 11 Overview: Rounds & Kontour [repeat]

Studio 2 Producer Playback with Subpac // Bring in your tracks, no matter where they are in the production stage, and gain feedback from your peers
[all day]

Studio 3 Native Jam Session // Jam vs. Traktor 
[all day]

Studio 5 Traktor Room // Traktor sessions with David Clarke
12:00 - 13:00 - DJ Essentials with Traktor: Beat matching and scratching.
13:00 - 14:00 - Advanced class: Remix decks and stems mixing
[break]
14.15 - 15.15 - DJ Essentials with Traktor: Beat matching and scratching. [repeat]
15.15 -16.15 - Advanced class: Advanced class: Remix decks and stems mixing. [repeat]

Studio 6 Maschine Room // 
TBC
Studio 7 User insights and Psy-Sisters present // A room with industry conversation, music insights and discussion around increasing diversity and encouraging new producers.
12:00 - 13:00 Dot: Techno mixing with Stems. 
How to get creative with stems and FX using S5 Kontroller
13:00 - 14:00 Anthony Foster: Industry Insight Q&A
Open forum and expert advice for music industry
[break]
14.15 - 15.15 Nick Were: From Production to Live
Workflow using Native Instruments
15.14-16.15
Eve: Psy-Trance Mixing with Traktor
Traktor functions and tips using S2 Kontroller
0-AID
  • Total Posts : 9702
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/24 12:19:27 (permalink)
Nice one, I've just signed up. I'll be there.

Looks like I'll be in the Maschine Room all day then!

"I don't rap for dead presidents, I'd rather see the president dead, It's never been said, But I set precedents and the standards, and they can't stand it.."
Law
  • Total Posts : 63978
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/24 12:21:34 (permalink)
I really should go to that as I just bought Kontrol S2 to go with Scratch Pro DVS which I already use. I use about 0.1% of the softwares capabilities lol

Even reading about remix decks annoys/upsets me

Defo wont go though
Duderonomy
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/24 12:55:42 (permalink)
The native instruments thing looks great. I should see if there’s anything like this in Barcelona - would love to set up something like they used to run in Plastic People where you could bring in a track and hear it loud/get feedback/get inspired etc.
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/24 13:02:42 (permalink)
Law
I use about 0.1% of the softwares capabilities lol

Same. 

Law
Even reading about remix decks annoys/upsets me

Same., Learning new things is just long. 

Law
Defo wont go though

Just come. 

Duderonomy
The native instruments thing looks great. I should see if there’s anything like this in Barcelona - would love to set up something like they used to run in Plastic People where you could bring in a track and hear it loud/get feedback/get inspired etc.

They do have meetups at other locations. I didn't bother looking where though but have a look on the link. 
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20093
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/24 13:10:06 (permalink)
traktor remix decks are shit imo. at least partly set up so they can flog the sound packs. I've got a z2, but would need an F1 to control them properly. i'm not bothered about them at all apart from teh occasional looping feature.
post edited by wiseacre - 2018/01/24 13:19:27

no
Duderonomy
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/24 13:10:12 (permalink)
Domino

Duderonomy

They do have meetups at other locations. I didn't bother looking where though but have a look on the link. 

Other cities in the U.K., but no mention of Europe and google draws a blank :(

Maybe I need to organize something. Shit.
dazdsb
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/24 16:57:03 (permalink)
tempted to get down to that but it's the day after my birthday so not sure.

looks great though! 
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/24 18:25:36 (permalink)
Register and get the ticket just in case before they run out so that way you always have the option
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18436
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/24 18:34:28 (permalink)
wiseacre
traktor remix decks are shit imo. at least partly set up so they can flog the sound packs. I've got a z2, but would need an F1 to control them properly. i'm not bothered about them at all apart from teh occasional looping feature.

Yep. If you want to do that sort of thing just bite the bullet and use ableton I reckon.

Duderonomy
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/25 17:21:25 (permalink)
Slightly longer version:

https://soundcloud.com/1-hand-clapping/on-some-smooth-shit

...and Fonik, you took your track down before I could listen to it?
Artical Don
  • Total Posts : 6620
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/27 16:24:14 (permalink)
Done a new thing in last couple of days which i'm pleased with.

https://soundcloud.com/sinai_uk/bionic

sublime
  • Total Posts : 1574
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/27 17:27:39 (permalink)
Finally started working on something new and trying to finish something that's been sat there a while. Will prob post clips at some point.

It was called jungle in those days, not drum and bass. That came later

http://soundcloud.com/sublime-dnb
Kola Nut
  • Total Posts : 26717
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/27 18:14:23 (permalink)
Got a few things in the pipeline with MC Law. I’m itching to post things but want to finish them first.

Drumshit Radio. Every Thursday 12pm.
Jamie S23
  • Total Posts : 16296
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/29 09:21:41 (permalink)
Been working on this for ages, I am really uneducated in the whole mix down process so trying to just do it by ear.

Any feedback appreciated.

Link
Stamina MC
  • Total Posts : 17247
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/29 14:24:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jamie S23 2018/01/29 14:33:28
^

All this time I've had that tune in mind as being called 'Oriental'; I didn't realise it was renamed for release. Dunno if this can/should really be called a remix, though — it's more a case of you having made a tune with some of the same samples... 'By ear' is how you're supposed to do it, anyhow. All them man staring at analysers are making science, not music — come at me, brah.

Anyway, there's a fair bit that's amiss with this. There are key/tuning issues with your strings/bassline, the 'remix' vocal is not only overused but the time-stretched version used after the drop needs timing up better as the "ix" is missing from the word. The drums could be punchier, and could use a dash of reverb too; just a room/plate sound, nothing too obvious or huge. Maybe even a more obvious/discernible break to fill the gaps between the kicks and snares? Those shuffly things you've got currently are cool but they more add 'detail' than 'energy' or 'progression' IMO. The hi-hat on the '3' is perhaps too loud. Bassline is a little sub light overall. Pretty much everything could use some thoughtful EQ to have them balance better — oddly enough your little vocal snippets are perhaps the most appropriately placed (sonically) out of everything, as most of them sit pretty much exactly where they 'should' do. It also urgently needs some more incidentals/FX as it's really empty as is.

To conclude, structurally and functionally sound in principle (bar the tuning), but just needs more experienced hands/ears to get the most from all the stuff you've decided to put in there.
Jamie S23
  • Total Posts : 16296
Re: Production Thread (for old men) 2018/01/29 14:33:20 (permalink)
Really appreciate that man, thank you for the advice. I'll get back to it and work on it some more.

I get what you're saying about the whole remix wording. It's certainly not official as such although I do look after Nicky's record label so you never know I guess. Maybe in 2020! 
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 30
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0