Helpful ReplyHot!To Brexit or not to Brexit?

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 51 of 58
Author
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15337
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/08 22:31:05 (permalink)
That is exactly why people don't like the Tories. Hiccups = many thousands of people losing their jobs.
SW14
  • Total Posts : 13381
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/08 22:36:37 (permalink)
KNUCKLES
David Davis was on radio today, he said there may be ‘some hiccups in the first year’ of a no deal.
And he meant it in the good way, like that’s nothing to worry about.
So that really put me at ease tbh
Hiccups

He was your safe pair of hands wasn’t he!?
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/08 22:39:19 (permalink)
Postman Pat
That is exactly why people don't like the Tories. Hiccups = many thousands of people losing their jobs.

Hmmm - strange.

No Labour government in history has ever left office with lower unemployment than they started with, which is why I don’t like them.
Postman Pat
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/08 23:11:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 21 21 2018/11/09 13:18:33
They wouldn't suggest doing it on purpose and shrug it off on radio 4.
KnuckleHead
  • Total Posts : 15901
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/08 23:13:34 (permalink)
SW14
KNUCKLES
David Davis was on radio today, he said there may be ‘some hiccups in the first year’ of a no deal.
And he meant it in the good way, like that’s nothing to worry about.
So that really put me at ease tbh
Hiccups

He was your safe pair of hands wasn’t he!?

Yeah that’s why the hiccup triggered me, I rate him a better leader than Boris or Tha Mogg and he was already balls deep in the Brexit bukkake so he could at least lead untill that’s done.
He doesn’t say that much dumb stuff but today he sounded like a dodgy car dealer and someone was bringing back a moody motor.
‘Yeah, you’ll struggle to start with but crack on anyway’ and when he said hiccups. even he doesn’t give a shit anymore :’(
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20705
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/09 07:05:34 (permalink)
Err, a few days before the referendum and his appointment to brexit sec he tweeted this

https://mobile.twitter.co...tus/735770127564607489

A fundamental misunderstanding of what the eu is

But being better than Boris or jrm isn't hard.

no
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/09 12:42:30 (permalink)
Not that it will change anything, but this Carole Cadwalladr reporting on Arron Banks is interesting.

National Crime Agency are investigating whether he was the true source of the 8 million Leave.EU funds were his and Robert Mueller is apparently scrutinizing his meetings with Russian diplomats.

Seems like a wrong ‘un of a bloke.
wiseacre
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/09 16:18:20 (permalink)
she's always goading him on twitter whenever he tries to discredit her. he's an odious shit.

also a nonce apologist. from the FT:

Mr Banks has demonstrated a talent for dividing opinion since his early years. He has been creating controversy at least as far back as the four-and-a-half years he spent, from the age of 13, at Crookham Court, a former boarding school near Thatcham in Berkshire. The school was closed in 1989, five years after Mr Banks left, because of revelations about serious sexual abuse by the staff.

Mr Banks, who says he loved his time at the school, views the institution very differently from the pupils who gave evidence that led to the imprisonment of four teachers, in two separate trials, for sexual offences against boys. Mr Banks appeared as a character witness in defence of Philip Cadman, the school’s headteacher and owner, when he and two other teachers were tried in 1990 for sex offences. Cadman, who has since died, was sentenced to 10 years in prison, reduced to six years on appeal.

In 2013, on a Facebook group for former pupils, Mr Banks lambasted pupils who helped to bring the prosecutions, portraying them as part of a “victim culture” that had made contemporary generations less robust than past ones. “All emotional damage is unfortunate,” Mr Banks wrote in one of a series of confrontational posts. “But in the past whole generations . . . had to endure and at the end [of] the day hand-wrenching, recriminations and going on and on about it helps nobody.”

lol

no
Postman Pat
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/09 17:05:57 (permalink)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46155403

Didn't even realise Boris had a brother in government.

Good for him, although we won't get another referendum unless a few leave supporting MPs come out for it.
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18685
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/09 18:44:17 (permalink)
wiseacre
darkmatter
With the Raab thing - to be fair having a complete and comprehensive understanding of all cross-border trade is a big ask. I don't know enough about this one to know whether it's ineptitude or refreshing honesty or a bit of both.

It's a fairly basic fact about UK trade

What is?

dotarr
  • Total Posts : 5104
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/09 19:50:31 (permalink)
Postman Pat
They wouldn't suggest doing it on purpose and shrug it off on radio 4.

New Labour in a nutshell: we use a sad voice.
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 5104
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/09 19:57:50 (permalink)
darkmatter
With the Raab thing - to be fair having a complete and comprehensive understanding of all cross-border trade is a big ask. I don't know enough about this one to know whether it's ineptitude or refreshing honesty or a bit of both.

He's Brexit secretary, I'd expect him to be shown a map of where goods come through right after they've shown him where the bogs and kettle are.
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/09 20:25:23 (permalink)
It is pretty obvious. It’s a well known fact that as distance doubles, trade halves. Given continental Europe is our biggest trading partner, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand where the focal point for trade is on our island.
wiseacre
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/09 20:27:56 (permalink)

no
S8
  • Total Posts : 19820
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/09 20:33:05 (permalink)
darkmatter
wiseacre
darkmatter

What is?

That most of our goods come in from Europe via Dover. The Port of Dover even took an advert out at the Tory conference in 2017 to troll them with this fact.

Edit: spellings.
post edited by S8 - 2018/11/10 15:47:49
KnuckleHead
  • Total Posts : 15901
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/10 10:11:25 (permalink)
darkmatter
wiseacre
darkmatter

What is?

You just said, about the cross-border side of trade.

He’s in charge of Brexit lol
darkmatter
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/10 12:07:09 (permalink)
He didn't say "I didn't know cross-border trade was important" though, so could've simply meant "I thought it was very very very very important, turns out it's very very very very very important". Without him defining a baseline it seems like people are just jumping on careless phrasing, rather than anything of much substance. But as I say I haven't read much about his opinions so I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

wiseacre
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/10 13:09:04 (permalink)
Full speech is all over the place so a 5 second Google might help you

no
LHC
  • Total Posts : 7698
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/10 13:48:38 (permalink)
I'm not sure why he would even mention it if the difference between what he knew and the reality was one more very. Actually, that's 25% more very, which could be highly significant. What's the maximum amount of verys in your imagined scenario?
darkmatter
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/11 11:40:53 (permalink)
LHC
I'm not sure why he would even mention it if the difference between what he knew and the reality was one more very. Actually, that's 25% more very, which could be highly significant. What's the maximum amount of verys in your imagined scenario?

I was considering presenting a "he thought it was 2^100 important and actually now he sees it's 2^100 + 1 important" therefore not a massively difference in the scheme of things but thought that might be getting into the realms of silly.

@ wiseacre - I'm guessing if you haven't pulled out a quote to prove I'm wrong that it's a bit of a long and rambling ting so I'll give it a miss thanks.

wiseacre
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/11 12:36:40 (permalink)
Tedious man is tedious

no
darkmatter
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/11 12:59:36 (permalink)
Haha yep, I feel investing any time in trying to defend the cunt might send the wrong message

SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/13 19:48:51 (permalink)
May reaches agreement with the EU.

So what happens when this is inevitably voted down by Parliament?
Postman Pat
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/13 19:56:46 (permalink)
Hard Brexit, then a very unfavourable trade deal hastily drawn with the US.

Yay Brexit 🎉

In the meanwhile though May is toast.
post edited by Postman Pat - 2018/11/13 19:57:52
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/13 20:13:07 (permalink)
In the event it gets voted down I could see an extension of A50 period because of the huge contribution it makes to the EU’s budget and the fact that despite the bluff, no one actually wants it apart from a few swivel eyed loons.
Jonesy.
  • Total Posts : 8396
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/13 20:18:43 (permalink)
Surely if it gets voted down in parliament then we will leave with no deal?

SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/13 20:33:05 (permalink)
There are a few options. We can withdraw our A50 notice, arrange an extension with the EU (then maybe a second referendum to break the deadlock) or no deal.

No way does this get through Parliament.
Jonesy.
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/13 20:37:01 (permalink)
I can't see anything being agreed. It's going to be a disaster.

Mighty Wighty
  • Total Posts : 7028
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/13 22:02:06 (permalink)
I’m all for compromise but this reads like a massive fudge to 'muddle us through', delivered without an ounce of conviction. This won’t appease anyone.

So no deal, or backtracking to the extent this drags on and on and culminates in an embarrassing u-turn, with British pride in tatters. What a mess.
Jonesy.
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/11/13 22:05:01 (permalink)
It will be hilarious if we end up doing a u-turn. All that time, effort and money wasted for absolutely fuck all. Fantastic.

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 51 of 58
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0