Helpful ReplyHot!To Brexit or not to Brexit?

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 46 of 58
Author
Arcadian
  • Total Posts : 1834
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/16 19:11:20 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme
This is the one that sticks with me;

watching that and similar ones that play after would be hilarious if they hadn't actually won
MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 6362
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 02:30:37 (permalink)
Duderonomy
So, so, so fucking glad I’m moving to Canada.

Meanwhile... weed was made legal today.

That John Major article was seriously depressing. I should just stop reading about this
Test Recordings
  • Total Posts : 699
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 05:15:23 (permalink)
Arcadian
gutlessrhyme
This is the one that sticks with me;

watching that and similar ones that play after would be hilarious if they hadn't actually won

Fuck me, I do not envy that radio presenter's job
Duderonomy
  • Total Posts : 3530
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 06:31:06 (permalink)
MellowHype
Duderonomy
So, so, so fucking glad I’m moving to Canada.

Meanwhile... weed was made legal today.

In Canada? Result.
Mighty Wighty
  • Total Posts : 7028
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 06:41:09 (permalink)
BrEGGzit

LEAVER: I want an omelette.

REMAINER: Right. It’s just we haven’t got any eggs.

LEAVER: Yes, we have. There they are. [HE POINTS AT A CAKE]

REMAINER: They’re in the cake.

LEAVER: Yes, get them out of the cake, please.

REMAINER: But we voted in 1975 to put them into a cake.

LEAVER: Yes, but that cake has got icing on it. Nobody said there was going to be icing on it.

REMAINER: Icing is good.

LEAVER: And there are raisins in it. I don’t like raisins. Nobody mentioned raisins. I demand another vote.

DAVID CAMERON ENTERS.

DAVID CAMERON: OK.

DAVID CAMERON SCARPERS.

LEAVER: Right, where’s my omelette?

REMAINER: I told you, the eggs are in the cake.

LEAVER: Well, get them out.

EU: It’s our cake.

JEREMY CORBYN: Yes, get them out now.

REMAINER: I have absolutely no idea how to get them out. Don’t you know how to get them out?

LEAVER: Yes! You just get them out and then you make an omelette.

REMAINER: But how?! Didn’t you give this any thought?

LEAVER: Saboteur! You’re talking eggs down. We could make omelettes before the eggs went into the cake, so there’s no reason why we can’t make them now.

THERESA MAY: It’s OK, I can do it.

REMAINER: How?

THERESA MAY: There was a vote to remove the eggs from the cake, and so the eggs will be removed from the cake.

REMAINER: Yeah, but…

LEAVER: Hang on, if we take the eggs out of the cake, does that mean we don’t have any cake? I didn’t say I didn’t want the cake, just the bits I don’t like.

REMAINER: But you can’t take the eggs out of the cake and then still have a cake.

LEAVER: You can. I saw the latest Bake Off and you can definitely make cakes without eggs in them. It’s just that they’re horrible.

REMAINER: Fine. Take the eggs out. See what happens.

LEAVER: It’s not my responsibility to take the eggs out. Get on with it.

REMAINER: Why should I have to come up with some long-winded incredibly difficult chemical process to extract eggs that have bonded at the molecular level to the cake, while somehow still having the cake?

LEAVER: You lost, get over it.

THERESA MAY: By the way, I’ve started the clock on this.

REMAINER: So I assume you have a plan?

THERESA MAY: Actually, back in a bit. Just having another election.

REMAINER: Jeremy, are you going to sort this out?

JEREMY CORBYN: Yes. No. Maybe.

LEAVER: Where’s my omelette? I voted for an omelette.

REMAINER: This is ridiculous. This is never going to work. We should have another vote, or at least stop what we’re doing until we know how to get the eggs out of the cake while keeping the bits of the cake that we all like.

LEAVER/MAY/CORBYN: WE HAD A VOTE. STOP SABOTAGING THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE. EGGSIT MEANS EGGSIT.

REMAINER: Fine, I’m moving to France. The cakes are nicer there.

LEAVER: You can’t. We’ve taken your freedom of movement.

https://garybainbridge.co...olumn-october-11-2018/
Autograff
  • Total Posts : 11883
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 08:40:08 (permalink)
LHC
Yeah but though.

What sort of society continually marches forward into a constitutional crisis on the basis of something these thick cunts think? I know this doesn't reflect all leave voters. Shame it does really though.

I hate Barnsley
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20705
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:02:04 (permalink)
I could *maybe* get behind it if the government weren't so incompetent and weak that they are beholden to the batshit brigade and the DUP. so many strategic errors, from the snap election, to trying to divide and conquer individual EU countries and bypass Barnier et al, which has brought them closer together, to relentlessly pursuing a broken model with special exemptions - one that the EU said was unworkable a year ago. Theresa May in her standard fingers in ears bullishness that can be an attribute in government, but not when you're trying to reach agreement with the world's biggest trading bloc.

and so we're going to crash out with a bang, fucking ourselves over for a generation, reigniting sectarian tensions in NI that were largely solved and relegating our status from a leader and international gateway to europe to an economic pariah with near zero influence. 

At least we'll be free to launder dodgy cash and not tax anyone on it.

Nice one priks.

no
SW14
  • Total Posts : 13384
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:05:48 (permalink)
A nuclear armed state with the best army and intelligence services on the continent, sitting on the UN Security Council, home to the international business language and one of the top global economies has power. That’s before you take into account our music, soft power and cultural influence.

While I agree that leaving the EU will dilute some of that power and economic prowess, the idea that we derive all of our national strength from the European Union tossed around by some of the more hysterical remainers in this thread is frankly laughable.
post edited by SW14 - 2018/10/17 09:15:49
SmokedEggs
  • Total Posts : 2733
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:15:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Autograff 2018/10/17 14:51:21
SW14
A nuclear armed state with the best intelligence services on the continent, home to the international business language and one of the top global economies has power.

That power has gone to our head. What does it actually mean on a day to day basis for people's lives?

There are many other much smaller nations than ours that have their shit together much moreso than the UK.

We've already had a massive collapse in living standards since 2008.  Real wages are lower in 2018 in real terms than they were in 2008.  https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/sep/12/uk-wages-have-not-yet-recovered-to-pre-crisis-levels-says-ifs

Meanwhile rent and house prices have soared.  The streets are full of homeless.  People are miserable.

That's a fucking outrage.

S8
  • Total Posts : 19820
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:18:36 (permalink)
That's now, with access to the EU though. Our relationship with the US is based on our easy access and influence on the EU, that relationship will change once we leave. Then we'll just be a tinpot nuclear nation that launders the money of wealthy Russians and Asians. Or not, that job will probably go to Frankfurt.

The first part of your statement is very militaristic; are we going to threaten our trade partners with Subs of their coast if they don't deal with us? Sounds like a return to the empire.
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20705
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:20:51 (permalink)
nothing compared to what we have as part of the eu.

US has already made some pretty unacceptable noises about the contents of any trade deal - eg opening up of the NHS, etc, even freedom of movement. some concerning reading here:  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/18/rightwing-thinktanks-unveil-radical-plan-for-us-uk-brexit-trade-deal-nhs
"In the UK, the researchers behind the blueprint have had exceptional access to ministers in both the Department for International Trade and the Department for Exiting the European Union, with IEA staff and its head of trade policy, Shanker Singham, meeting Liam Fox, David Davis, Steve Baker and other ministers and special advisers on numerous occasions since the referendum result, government transparency data shows. Fox has given speeches at both the Heritage Foundation and the AEI before and after the referendum." lovely stuff.

China would absolutely fuck us.
India's first demand is easier visas and visiting/working rights. well done on reducing immigration guys!
Not sure why the EU itself would relax on regulatory standards and even freedom of movement.

these are the 4 big boys of the next century. but we'll be free to trade with 20m australians and 40m canadians!

nb japan has in no uncertain terms told us not to proceed with brexit.

no
SmokedEggs
  • Total Posts : 2733
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:26:01 (permalink)
wiseacre
nothing compared to what we have as part of the eu.

US has already made some pretty unacceptable noises about the contents of any trade deal - eg opening up of the NHS, etc, even freedom of movement. some concerning reading here:  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/18/rightwing-thinktanks-unveil-radical-plan-for-us-uk-brexit-trade-deal-nhs
"In the UK, the researchers behind the blueprint have had exceptional access to ministers in both the Department for International Trade and the Department for Exiting the European Union, with IEA staff and its head of trade policy, Shanker Singham, meeting Liam Fox, David Davis, Steve Baker and other ministers and special advisers on numerous occasions since the referendum result, government transparency data shows. Fox has given speeches at both the Heritage Foundation and the AEI before and after the referendum." lovely stuff.

China would absolutely fuck us.
India's first demand is easier visas and visiting/working rights. well done on reducing immigration guys!
Not sure why the EU itself would relax on regulatory standards and even freedom of movement.

these are the 4 big boys of the next century. but we'll be free to trade with 20m australians and 40m canadians!

nb japan has in no uncertain terms told us not to proceed with brexit.

we aren't going to get better trade deals than what we have already.  US will fuck us over big time.
LHC
  • Total Posts : 7698
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:32:58 (permalink)
SW14
A nuclear armed state with the best army and intelligence services on the continent, sitting on the UN Security Council, home to the international business language and one of the top global economies has power. That’s before you take into account our music, soft power and cultural influence.

I'm sure Theresa May is fighting hard in Brussels to ensure she gets her insulin. BUT WE'VE GOT BANGING GABBA KICK DRUMS AND YOU HAVEN'T M8. WE HAVE THE UPPER HAND
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:41:25 (permalink)
LHC
SW14

I'm sure Theresa May is fighting hard in Brussels to ensure she gets her insulin. BUT WE'VE GOT BANGING GABBA KICK DRUMS AND YOU HAVEN'T M8. WE HAVE THE UPPER HAND

Cultural influence is a pretty big part of soft power m8.
dreamworld
  • Total Posts : 5149
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:42:11 (permalink)
Gabber is Dutch mate, we don’t have that either.
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:44:38 (permalink)
Thank fuck.
Duderonomy
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:46:16 (permalink)
We’re going to threaten the EU with Coldplay b2b Mr Blobby. Genius.
LHC
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:51:23 (permalink)
dreamworld
Gabber is Dutch mate, we don’t have that either.

We've got kick drums and the Dutch need them. Their society will collapse without them.
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 09:53:07 (permalink)
Duderonomy

Soft power isn’t coercive. Maybe you should try and get a basic understanding of what it is and where it can be advantageous before you ridicule it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/how-britain-can-remain-a-soft-power-superpower-after-brexit-97405

Merry Christmas.
post edited by SW14 - 2018/10/17 10:00:46
dreamworld
  • Total Posts : 5149
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 10:11:33 (permalink)
LHC
We've got kick drums and the Dutch need them. Their society will collapse without them.

By the sounds of it I reckon we could do a brisk trade smuggling them over the Irish border.
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11636
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 10:11:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Autograff 2018/10/17 14:52:40
I hope every leave voters bollocks stop working
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18685
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 12:24:59 (permalink)
ALL YOUR KICK DRUMS ARE BELONG TO US

Duderonomy
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 12:34:33 (permalink)
SW14
Duderonomy

Soft power isn’t coercive. Maybe you should try and get a basic understanding of what it is and where it can be advantageous before you ridicule it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/how-britain-can-remain-a-soft-power-superpower-after-brexit-97405

Merry Christmas.

I know what soft power is, but it’s not going to stop me ridiculing Brexit. Not for a loooooong time.
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 13:27:16 (permalink)
Duderonomy
SW14
Duderonomy

Merry Christmas.

I know what soft power is, but it’s not going to stop me ridiculing Brexit. Not for a loooooong time.

I’ve already said Brexit will be detrimental, which is why I didn’t vote for it.

The idea that we will be some humbled powerlesss no mark backwater just because we are no longer part of the EU touted by a good few in here is palpably absurd. And yes, cultural exports from the Premier League to British music play a part in Britain’s enduring relevance.
LHC
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 16:38:40 (permalink)
Everything you've mentioned relates to British influence on the world stage. Meanwhile, I look forward to Jamie xx et al solving the Irish border problem.
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 17:33:09 (permalink)
LHC
Everything you've mentioned relates to British influence on the world stage. Meanwhile, I look forward to Jamie xx et al solving the Irish border problem.

Almost like I’m not talking about the Irish border.

I’m refuting the kind of bitter idiocy that suggests Britain will have “no power” and be the kind of place nobody wants to visit after Brexit.
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18685
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 18:10:37 (permalink)
After Brexit, babies will be born without lungs. Your "cultural influence" and "soft power" will be of no use then.

SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 18:32:19 (permalink)
I see the French have tabled a law to make British residents “irregular”, essentially illegal migrants in the event of a no deal Brexit.

I can’t even begin to imagine the hand wringing in this thread if May so much as dared suggest similar, in fact one of her first moves was to guarantee EU resident’s rights.

Never mind. All our fault anyway. Cos, racists.

🙄
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 18:50:12 (permalink)
Regarding this haughty “four freedoms can’t be divided” that keeps getting thrown at our negotiators, where was this unbreakable sanctity for the decade or so that Germany refused to take migrants from newly admitted Eastern bloc countries but traded freely?
post edited by SW14 - 2018/10/17 18:51:36
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15340
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/10/17 18:53:03 (permalink)
You're very defensive aren't you.
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 46 of 58
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0