Helpful ReplyHot!To Brexit or not to Brexit?

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 42
Author
SW14
  • Total Posts : 13017
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 15:41:17 (permalink)
Chaingangs, your time.
21 21
  • Total Posts : 6306
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 15:41:17 (permalink)
also lol at dressing up the UK as a backpacking destination where people are gonna pop off to the lincolnshire fields to pick fruit and then catch a minibus into london for fabric. 

the people who go picking in Australia are young people looking for sun, sex and well, more of the same. ain't nobody sticking the UK on their round-the-world ticket and bunkering down in some norfolk hostel whilst picking strawbs in the rain lol 

just fantasy rubbish that is

not ever heard anyone doing it or aspire to doing it. 
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 15:43:29 (permalink)
Do you think people aspire to go and pick fruit in Oz?

No, they do it to facilitate the other fun stuff.

There’s quite a lot of fun stuff to do here (and close by) on the sex, drugs and hedonism front. Even if you disagree with that statement, the fact is lots of people want to and do come.

Is it that hard to grasp?

You lot talk about Britain like it’s some backwater no one wants to visit and not the 6th most popular tourist destination on earth, shit weather and all.
post edited by SW14 - 2018/07/11 15:51:07
S8
  • Total Posts : 19652
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 15:45:55 (permalink)
We have rubbish weather though.
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 15:46:40 (permalink)
sectionate

So? 40 degrees under a hole in the ozone layer is shit weather when you’re picking fruit in a field.
Aunty West
  • Total Posts : 20626
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 15:50:18 (permalink)
sectionate

have you not been living in britain for the last 2 months?
21 21
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 15:51:47 (permalink)
england is not a backpacking destination like australia - no matter how you try and spin it. 

people wanna come here for a few weeks, see london, see the queen and fuck off. 

people go to Australia for months - they work the fruit farms, meet people, laze about in the sun when not working - it's totally different. 

there is nothing, nothing at all enticing about coming to england and picking fruit. 

go on a backpacking forum and present your fruit-picking UK adventure idea to people and bring me back a single person who's up for it. 
S8
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 15:53:30 (permalink)
Lol, the last two months have been excluded from my statement 

SW14
sectionate

So? 40 degrees under a hole in the ozone layer is shit weather when you’re picking fruit in a field.

Lol, picking fruit isn't why people have gone to Oz in the first place, it's a backpacking destination for sun, booze and sex.

No right minded Aussie is going to look at England at think they'll get the same thing year round.
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 15:53:52 (permalink)
People come to the UK for months and years.

You don’t “come to England and pick fruit”, it’s not your raison (chortle) d’etre, it’s just something you would have to do to facilitate an extended stay, which believe it or not - many, many people want to do.
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12920
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 15:59:50 (permalink)
dazdsb
I assumed that once we'd fucked off all those 'bloody foreigners taking our jobs' there'd be queues of out-of-work Englishmen roaming the fields, picking the finest English strawberries m8s. 

is that not correct?  

You'd think that the English worker was a very timid creature, slowly building up the courage to leave his house following the long period of EU enforced hibernation. "Have the Romanians gone yet? I've got the burning urge to pick fruit!"

21 21
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 16:08:58 (permalink)
i can see the english workforce pouring out of the nations front doors now - mops and buckets in hand to clean schools / toilets / hotels; fruit picking gloves at the ready to go out into the fields and pick the fine fruit of this nation. all of the jobs they've been wanting to do for years but couldn't because our foreign imports have taken all the work. 

or maybe they'll still not want to do the hard graft and will just sit about claiming benefits whilst they find the next group of people to blame for taking something they didn't want to do anyway. 
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 16:13:15 (permalink)
If we need people to pick fruit then bring people in to do it. That’s exactly how immigration should work, bring in workers to plug gaps in the labour force where required.

Most countries in the world don’t have international free movement of people and manage just fine.
S8
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 16:15:04 (permalink)
So now you advocate immigration?
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 16:16:35 (permalink)
I’ve always advocated immigration, just on a far diminished scale to what it has been post 2000 and deployed to where we actually need it.

I definitely don’t want net population growth of 3-500,000 every year.
post edited by SW14 - 2018/07/11 16:17:43
LHC
  • Total Posts : 7465
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 16:23:05 (permalink)
Let's boot out all the foreign doctors, then plug the gap in the labour force with Australian doctors.
Aunty West
  • Total Posts : 20626
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 16:27:17 (permalink)
LHC
Let's boot out all the foreign doctors, then plug the gap in the labour force with Australian doctors.

would they be fit ones?
SW14
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 16:38:46 (permalink)
LHC

You keep doctors because you need them.

It’s not rocket science and works quite well for other countries who aren’t part of supranational free movement blocs
S8
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 16:44:17 (permalink)
You keep manual labourers and low skilled workers because you need them for the jobs the indigenous population don’t do

I.e. fruit picking
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18639
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 16:48:11 (permalink)
We have a problem with muslim haters already, I don't think we need to import a load of podean haters too.

Goodone
  • Total Posts : 5442
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 19:01:49 (permalink)
sectionate
You keep manual labourers and low skilled workers because you need them for the jobs the indigenous population don’t do

I.e. fruit picking

A similar argument was made by the Confederates when we were trying to abolish slavery
Ornette
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 20:05:38 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
You'd think that the English worker was a very timid creature, slowly building up the courage to leave his house following the long period of EU enforced hibernation. "Have the Romanians gone yet? I've got the burning urge to pick fruit!"

sectionate

I.e. fruit picking

Yeah but if you look at the link Postman Pat originally posted, you'll see that these jobs aren't available/being offered to the British worker. It's being outsourced to agencies specifically targeting eastern-bloc countries. Why it even complains about having to travel so far deep into the Romanian countryside to try and find the workers they need

Postman Pat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44230865

Taking back control of fruit picking jobs.

Re. Liz Truss

LHC

Apparently this is a meme or something... in principle it's true though isnt it?

However, this does not square with being a free-market champion, which Liz Truss apparently is

Tories can sometimes very accurately see the problems, but not beyond their own indoctrined ideology

KNUCKLES
  • Total Posts : 15746
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 20:34:36 (permalink)
Goodone’s back 😉
just in time for the Trump balloon 2mrw..
Goodone
  • Total Posts : 5442
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 20:51:37 (permalink)
I kind of want the sadiq khan balloon to go up but then I kind of hope it doesn't...this is the country that gave the world modern democracy and this is the quality of our political debate! It's embarrassing
LHC
  • Total Posts : 7465
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 21:18:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Duderonomy 2018/07/12 19:51:08
Ornette

Re. Liz Truss

LHC

Apparently this is a meme or something... in principle it's true though isnt it?

However, this does not square with being a free-market champion, which Liz Truss apparently is

Tories can sometimes very accurately see the problems, but not beyond their own indoctrined ideology

Is it true though? A disgrace? We import two thirds of our cheese because we like nice foreign cheeses. The expertise for making said cheeses is abroad. There are so many foods which we now take for granted that we could never feasibly produce because the environmental conditions are not suitable. Obviously this (your desire for self-sufficiency) is different to the desire of some Brexit-supporters to change the importation of food from Europe to elsewhere.
Subsurface
  • Total Posts : 16074
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 21:19:07 (permalink)
sectionate

Only from white countries like Australia.

I can't believe we didn't laugh off SW's idea in about 3 posts. 3 pages to hammer home how absolutely ridiculous it is.

Thats the kind of fantastical shite that brexiteers actually believe. (Yes I know you didn't vote leave before you point it out again m8).
darkmatter
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 22:51:11 (permalink)
Subsurface
sectionate

Only from white countries like Australia.

Bit harsh! Surely we should treat all countries equally?

Subsurface
  • Total Posts : 16074
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 22:56:16 (permalink)
I know you're baiting me, but of course I was referring to SW's imaginary Aussie utopia.
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15178
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 23:02:13 (permalink)
Telegraph website is rammed full of articles basically stating that May is robbing the country of Brexit, Rees Mogg etc going on sick about secret cabals of remainers and how true brexiteers should join the tory party to change it from within. All a bit confusing seeing as we are still leaving the EU and that. Tedious pricks the lot of them.

I’m a little confused about what they actually want tbh, would they really rather we traded with the US (and thier lower standards) over the EU? Why?

Meanwhile seeing as more than half of tory mps don’t want hard brexit, and most of their big money backers don’t want hard brexit, is this ultimately gonna spell the end of the conservative party as we know it?
darkmatter
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 23:02:24 (permalink)
Subsurface
I know you're baiting me, but of course I was referring to SW's imaginary Aussie utopia.

He said "In Australia they get our kids on working holiday visas to do it." and then the conversation spiralled. More a statement of fact rather than a vision of utopia in my view.

I do believe we should treat all countries equally in that respect though so only half baiting.

wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20531
Re: To Brexit or not to Brexit? 2018/07/11 23:33:34 (permalink)
Lol, he went a bit further when he said time and again that we should wholly reciprocate that arrangement.

no
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 42
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0