AnsweredHot!Politics Thread

Page: << < ..611612613614615.. > >> Showing page 615 of 651
Author
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 95575
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 10:28:16 (permalink)
F L Y
I wouldn't say the country is on its knees , how is it on its knees I'm genuinely interested as to why you think it is ?

STOP DOING COMMAS WRONG FFS
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12868
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 10:29:38 (permalink)
Goodone

He's wrong and should be challenged on that by a more credible thinker than Russell brand !

He's been challenged by many good brains, including Howard Marks, who was stoned enough to goodnaturedly tolerate his fucking poisonous spleen.

SW14
  • Total Posts : 12804
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 10:38:04 (permalink)
LHC
Goodone
He's saying that if the law was enforced as intended then it would act as a deterrent which is factually correct, although admittedly undesirable... drugs are currently still illegal!

I personally believe we should be able to take whatever drugs we want. He holds the view that that freedom would impinge on others due to the social health fall out that he imagines ensuing... I think he's wrong on that but that still doesn't make him some dictatorial tyrant!

A classic display of conservatism: complain about the nanny state or similar (I gather he no longer users that term) on the one hand, criminalise private activity on the other.

This is the exact conservative position I hate - rank hypocrisy. Possibly why I can’t stand Hitchens.
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8612
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 12:25:33 (permalink)
is Goodone still seriously going on about Peter Hitchens ?
FFS . lol

_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 5193
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 13:27:32 (permalink)
F L Y

Is that it blame blame blame , all you can do is name call if someone has a different point of view , how would the messiah Corbyn and his apostles save the UK then ?

TBF it was a pretty cretinous point to make. To me it makes more sense to blame the substandard government for being a substandard government, rather than blaming the opposition... but yeah that's just me.  

And while Corbyn is weak on Brexit (I'm not sure anyone would do a good job due to the divisions in both parties), as leader of the opposition he has raised some pretty strong points on the standard of life in the UK - Universal Credit being a total disaster, the haggard problems with reliance on food banks and the gig ecomony, the problems with big business and tax dodging, extortionate tuition fees, underfunded NHS and public services in general.

He is shit in PMQs because he's not good at doing the whole adversarial style that it demands. But last year was evidence that he's in his element when campaigning and promoting policy. All the issues he has raised as key issues chime with me as pretty important and I pretty confident he can deliver them better than the current cess pool. 
LHC
  • Total Posts : 7375
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 13:36:49 (permalink)
Has Corbyn actually achieved anything in parliament? The only recent Labour achievement I can think of was the Northern Ireland abortion amendment but that was largely Stella Creasy's doing.
SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 14:32:22 (permalink)
What is the disaster with Universal Credit?

I used it in between contracts and thought it was good. The only problem was the 5 week wait but they instantly wire you up to a grand anyway.

I’ve read sanction horror stories but if you just do the minimal things they ask of you they’ll leave you alone.

They also paid housing benefit up till you received your first pay cheque not up until your first day of work like the old system.
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20462
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 14:38:52 (permalink)
only 4 million using food banks now! 
government action provably responsible for hundreds of disabled people's death (and probably many times that in total)
the list is endless.

i'm not a corbyn fan, but he smashed PMQs this week. and the current govt are the worst of my lifetime. at least if the others were complete shits they did it with some competence.

no
F L Y
  • Total Posts : 7597
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 14:56:29 (permalink)
Razor
F L Y
I wouldn't say the country is on its knees , how is it on its knees I'm genuinely interested as to why you think it is ?

STOP DOING COMMAS WRONG FFS

Is that it, is that all you have to offer, my cleaner has more to offer than you .
Sheriff Lobo
  • Total Posts : 2706
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 15:03:28 (permalink)
You're still doing them wrong.
_Modus_
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 15:16:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wiseacre 2018/06/08 15:32:02
SW14
What is the disaster with Universal Credit?

Mate, how long have you got? I deal with clients on UC every day and there are countless issues:

- It's all online which is pretty harsh if you can't afford a computer, can't afford to top up your electricity if you're on pay as you go, or if you're old or have mental health issues and not computer literate
- Random non payment of housing instalments, then they claim they have paid when they haven't - even sending in bank statements as evidence of non-payment I have had letters returned (several months later) saying no payments are outstanding. It has only been the threat of court action which gets any missed payments made
- Legal action for benefits no longer Legal Aid funded so good luck resolving these issues when they arise if you're on low income
- 6 week waiting for first payment, so you're immediately in rent arrears from the off. You can request an advance payment, but that just means you have to wait longer for your 2nd payment
- Failure to incorporate other benefits - one of my clients (suicidal, has had 4 heart attacks in the last 2 years and 2 strokes) is still on ESA and Universal Credit, even though UC is meant to replace ESA. We have pointed this out about 5 times and no change. Both the UC and ESA department keep reducing their respective payments because they think he is getting more from the other department, so he is being perpetually underpaid.
- They don't automatically pay rent to a landlord, they pay it direct to you and expect you to forward it on. For vulnerable people with mental health issues, those with drug/alcohol addiction etc this is a disaster.
- They only pay monthly. Pretty much all council tenants have to pay their rent weekly so they are effectively breaching their tenancy contract if they pay each month when their housing money comes in. 
SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 15:26:13 (permalink)
The advance payment doesn’t delay the normal payment and as far as I can remember, no benefit has ever been paid weekly.

If someone can’t manage their finances enough to pay their rent even though it has been handed to them then they have bigger problems than landlords. At some point people have to take responsibilty for themselves. Universal Credit gives people an opportunity the vast majority of people on earth will never have. You can’t blame the government for that imho.

I can only talk of my experience but I thought it was good and couldn’t see what a lot of the fuss was about. I don’t doubt there are fuck ups, the government doesn’t tend to be very good at running huge labyrinthine projects.
post edited by SW14 - 2018/06/08 15:35:21
SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 15:33:30 (permalink)
post edited by SW14 - 2018/06/08 15:34:53
wiseacre
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 15:35:24 (permalink)
SW14

If someone can’t manage their finances enough to pay their rent even though it has been handed to them then they have bigger problems than landlords. At some point people have to take responsibilty for themselves. Universal Credit gives people an opportunity the vast majority of people on earth will never have. You can’t blame the government for that imho.

christ, what a sociopathic cunt

no
SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 15:40:12 (permalink)
wiseacre
SW14

“I disagree with what someone says so I won’t add any kind of intelligent riposte whatsoever but will just call them a cunt”.

Get fucked you little drip.
Sheriff Lobo
  • Total Posts : 2706
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 15:45:32 (permalink)
 ... literally zero empathy.
_Modus_
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 15:47:37 (permalink)
SW14
The advance payment doesn’t delay the normal payment and as far as I can remember, no benefit has ever been paid weekly.

Except for Housing Benefit which could pay rent as it fell due, whether it's monthly, four-weekly, or weekly. 

And yeah, if you request your first rent payment early, you don't get any extra money. so you will have to wait the same 6-week period overall. Even so, thousands don't get how to request an advance payment, or don't know it's available, so the vast majority are put into rent arrears immediately. 

Then you've got councils and landlords who are claiming possession as soon as there's £100 arrears on the account. 

I've been in court and talked to landlords saying they won't even accept tenants on Universal Credit anymore because it's such a nightmare. 
post edited by _Modus_ - 2018/06/08 15:50:24
Goodone
  • Total Posts : 5380
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 15:48:26 (permalink)
Stoopid_Fux
FFS . lol

Freedom of speech bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRdlNTbe0k 
SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 15:48:55 (permalink)
Sheriff Lobo
 ... literally zero empathy.

Even an addict has a choice of whether to pay the rent and keep a roof over their head or start calling in the two white two dark.

Should the government start walking people around supermarket aisles to ensure they spend their money on food as well?

There is only so much they can do. People get paid housing benefit to pay their rent. If they choose to spunk that then they should take responsibility for what happens.
DrumBongo
  • Total Posts : 2764
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 15:54:48 (permalink)
SW14

For an intelligent guy, you are hugely ignorant. 

- It's all online which is pretty harsh if you can't afford a computer, can't afford to top up your electricity if you're on pay as you go, or if you're old or have mental health issues and not computer literate

This has affected my old dear, she has dementia and can hardly use a phone anymore let alone a computer. I have to help her out with benefit admin like this but if I wasn't around she would seriously struggle. And there are plenty of people who don't have that support.

But of course, it's their fault.

These policies are designed to be punitive on the most vulnerable as they are the biggest strain on the welfare system but they are also a demographic that is never likely to vote tory anyway so the the government don't give a fuck. 

It's a political policy that is absolutely shameful
wiseacre
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 16:04:38 (permalink)

SW14
wiseacre
SW14

“I disagree with what someone says so I won’t add any kind of intelligent riposte whatsoever but will just call them a cunt”.

yeah, it's the sufferers of blindness/down syndrome/dementia/any noumber of other afflictions who are really at fault for not being able to navigate a purposefully byzantine benefits system.

i really hope you or any close to you is never in the situation whereby they have to rely on this to survive. should you, you might change your tune somewhat.

come back when you've got something with more substance than they should be grateful they have anything from the state at all.

SW14
Should the government start walking people around supermarket aisles to ensure they spend their money on food as well?

you're so self absorbed you probably don't notice, but I see exactly this - a vulnerable person unable to carry out everday tasks for themselves -  being assisted in the supermarket on the regs. they really should pull themsleves up by their bootstraps the lazy swine.
post edited by wiseacre - 2018/06/08 16:05:55

no
SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 16:11:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Goodone 2018/06/08 16:14:06
I really don’t think it is a controversial point to say that if somebody can’t manage the most basic of finances after being given money then their problems far exceed any support that could possibly be provided by the state benefit system.

I’m clearly not saying they shouldn’t receive help for those problems.
post edited by SW14 - 2018/06/08 16:16:54
SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 16:16:02 (permalink)
wiseacre

SW14
wiseacre
SW14

yeah, it's the sufferers of blindness/down syndrome/dementia/any noumber of other afflictions who are really at fault for not being able to navigate a purposefully byzantine benefits system.

i really hope you or any close to you is never in the situation whereby they have to rely on this to survive. should you, you might change your tune somewhat.

come back when you've got something with more substance than they should be grateful they have anything from the state at all.

SW14

you're so self absorbed you probably don't notice, but I see exactly this - a vulnerable person unable to carry out everday tasks for themselves -  being assisted in the supermarket on the regs. they really should pull themsleves up by their bootstraps the lazy swine.

I’m quite clearly not referring to people who are physically/mentally incapable of taking responsibility for themselves.

I also asked, genuinely, what the disasters were with Universal Credit because I openly admitted that I didn’t have first hand experience of any.
post edited by SW14 - 2018/06/08 16:24:43
LHC
  • Total Posts : 7375
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 16:21:18 (permalink)
Goodone
Stoopid_Fux
FFS . lol

Freedom of speech bro

Fucking LOL. What a complete fucking chode.
Goodone
  • Total Posts : 5380
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 16:29:41 (permalink)
LHC
Goodone
Stoopid_Fux
FFS . lol

Freedom of speech bro

Fucking LOL. What a complete fucking chode.

Yeah my clip was better, the chinese in the background got her pins out at one stage 

wiseacre
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 16:32:19 (permalink)
SW14
wiseacre

SW14
wiseacre
SW14

SW14

I’m quite clearly not referring to people who are physically/mentally incapable of taking responsibility for themselves.

I also asked, genuinely, what the disasters were with Universal Credit because I openly admitted that I didn’t have first hand experience of any.

And then dismissed those that were raised. Your post i quoted came after modus.

Nice edits btw
post edited by wiseacre - 2018/06/08 16:33:22

no
SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 16:37:08 (permalink)

This has affected my old dear, she has dementia and can hardly use a phone anymore let alone a computer. I have to help her out with benefit admin like this but if I wasn't around she would seriously struggle. And there are plenty of people who don't have that support.

This is a reasonable point put in a reasonable way that I can certainly understand. It is mainly digital although they have a phone number (I’m not sure what you can or can’t do through it in practice).
_Modus_
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 16:40:58 (permalink)
SW14

This is a reasonable point put in a reasonable way that I can certainly understand. It is mainly digital although they have a phone number (I’m not sure what you can or can’t do through it in practice).

It never takes less than 20 mins to get through to the phone number. Jus' sayin'. 
SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 16:42:18 (permalink)
wiseacre
SW14
wiseacre

SW14
wiseacre
SW14

SW14

And then dismissed those that were raised. Your post i quoted came after modus.

Nice edits btw

I didn’t edit anything substantive “btw”

I didn’t dismiss them out of hand, I disagreed with one based on personal experience (an advance doesn’t delay your payment) and on my opinion that the onus isn’t on the state to routinely ensure that every penny is being allocated to the right place.

I wasn’t talking about people who don’t have agency who by definition aren’t capable of taking responsibility for themselves.

This article by Shelter also suggests that the claim itself is off the mark, before you start snapping around my heels in righteous indignation again. You can arrange it to be done via the telephone helpline. I agree that it shouldn’t automatically be paid to the landlord (not everyone would want their landlord to know for a start - many specify “no DSS”) but people have the option to do so.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/universal_credit_housing_costs/when_universal_credit_can_be_paid_direct_to_a_landlord
post edited by SW14 - 2018/06/08 16:57:50
Flow Joe
  • Total Posts : 1647
Re: General Election 2015 2018/06/08 17:01:20 (permalink)
I’ve read the number of edits SW14, & now agree, you are the best still. 👍
Page: << < ..611612613614615.. > >> Showing page 615 of 651
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0