AnsweredHot!Politics Thread

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 313
Author
Overlay
  • Total Posts : 17172
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 12:19:23 (permalink)
Had my polling card come thru...  Thought I'd forgotten to register as I moved house...
Now I need to pay more attention to this long debate 
Ankle
  • Total Posts : 4212
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 12:22:04 (permalink)
Come the fuck off it. 

If you've got spare cash to drop on new kicks on the regs, you're not exactly stretched. 

Haha 

I like how people are suddenly showing some humility over their earnings/lack of surplus thanks to this thread. Makes a change to the usual dick swinging "look at me i'm loaded and can afford to buy/do whatever". 

Ratings to Simon and SW14 for their wonderful grasp of the English language, a joy to read. 
Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 10341
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 12:23:21 (permalink)
Ankle
Come the fuck off it. 

If you've got spare cash to drop on new kicks on the regs, you're not exactly stretched. 

Haha 

I like how people are suddenly showing some humility over their earnings/lack of surplus thanks to this thread. Makes a change to the usual dick swinging "look at me i'm loaded and can afford to buy/do whatever". 

Apart from that cretin Menace in the football thread, and perhaps some other complete mongs, this only happens in your head.
The Rat
  • Total Posts : 44465
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 12:25:19 (permalink)
I'm not feeling the squeeze, aside from having to pay for a lot of stag dos and weddings
HTH
metzie
  • Total Posts : 12298
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 12:28:16 (permalink)
Subsurface
I don't know how or why you'd arrive at that conclusion.

It was quite a specific comment to Metzie, rather than some of kind of generalised measuring stick for middle class disposable incomes.

I actually do think that tax should be lower in the middle band, but not because single people with no children earning 40k are "feeling the squeeze". Please.

No doubt I will be mocked profusely by people in this bracket, but I couldn't give a shit.

I slog my tits off in a stressful and demanding job, am I not allowed to treat myself every now and then to take the edge off the fact that I will probably be doing this for the next 40 odd years? I live in London, on my own. I've tried living in a shared house and it didn't work out, plus I prefer it that way for the sake of my sanity. I can cover my bills and have a little bit left over, but not enough for a deposit for a place, so I'm stuck. I'm being squeezed m8, soz. 

Ankle
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 12:31:36 (permalink)
Shiverman
Ankle
Come the fuck off it. 

Haha 

Apart from that cretin Menace in the football thread, and perhaps some other complete mongs, this only happens in your head.

Dunno dude... See BrianBabonde (until he was called out on his riches and abruptly put an end to his tedious boasting)
IKOS
  • Total Posts : 35705
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 12:33:44 (permalink)
He fixed it well though 

Ankle
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 12:38:24 (permalink)
IKOS
He fixed it well though 

To an extent lol. I like his mixes though so i'll 'llow him. 

I'll get my £750 coat..

Shiverman
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 12:39:18 (permalink)
Subsurface

It was quite a specific comment to Metzie, rather than some of kind of generalised measuring stick for middle class disposable incomes.

I actually do think that tax should be lower in the middle band, but not because single people with no children earning 40k are "feeling the squeeze". Please.

No doubt I will be mocked profusely by people in this bracket, but I couldn't give a shit.

Subsurface

Even if it was directed just at Metzie, it's a bit of a silly comment anyway isn't it?
Whagwan
  • Total Posts : 22013
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:01:56 (permalink)
metzie
Subsurface

I slog my tits off in a stressful and demanding job, am I not allowed to treat myself every now and then to take the edge off the fact that I will probably be doing this for the next 40 odd years? I live in London, on my own. I've tried living in a shared house and it didn't work out, plus I prefer it that way for the sake of my sanity. I can cover my bills and have a little bit left over, but not enough for a deposit for a place, so I'm stuck. I'm being squeezed m8, soz. 

You might feel squeezed, but compared to most of the population, you aren't. 

People working in care etc slog their tits off in demanding and stressful jobs, shouldn't they "be allowed to treat themselves every now and then to take the edge off the fact that they will probably be doing this for the next 40 odd years?"

I'm in exactly the same boat, however I recognise I've got it better than the majority of the population.
Snakey
  • Total Posts : 31466
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:03:54 (permalink)
How lonely it must be up there.
Shiverman
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:07:19 (permalink)
Whagwan you seem not to be able to understand the concept of squeezed MIDDLE. No one is arguing they are poor, I don't understand what point you're trying to make.
Ankle
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:08:25 (permalink)
Snakey
How lonely it must be up there.

Subsurface
  • Total Posts : 15074
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:08:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ankle 2015/04/02 13:09:47
Shiverman 
Even if it was directed just at Metzie, it's a bit of a silly comment anyway isn't it?

I don't think so.

To me, being squeezed is barely covering your bills. Or even having to rely on credit cards to get by. 

Having 20% or more disposable income left over at the end of the month is quite a comfortable position to be in. It can't really be compared to the grim situation so many low earners find themselves in in London.

Of course there are families that rely on a sole income of 40k who will struggle, but that's completely different.

The housing situation is fucked up. But if you were a little less taxed as a middle earner, it's still gonna be pretty fucking difficult to buy your own home in London. Lower tax won't fix this. It's a much bigger problem.

metzie
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:10:15 (permalink)
Whagwan
metzie
Subsurface

You might feel squeezed, but compared to most of the population, you aren't. 

People working in care etc slog their tits off in demanding and stressful jobs, shouldn't they "be allowed to treat themselves every now and then to take the edge off the fact that they will probably be doing this for the next 40 odd years?"

I'm in exactly the same boat, however I recognise I've got it better than the majority of the population.

I don't understand your point... Shall I give all my trainers to care workers?

Everyone is being fucked over, just in different guises. I am not a cunt, I know there are people worse off than me, but it doesn't make my struggle less real. I can't get a council house or a mortgage, at least people on lower incomes can get help with housing. 
Whagwan
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:10:29 (permalink)
Shiverman
Whagwan you seem not to be able to understand the concept of squeezed MIDDLE. No one is arguing they are poor, I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

My point is an income of 40k even in London puts you (just) in the top 30% of earners.  That is not the MIDDLE.
Snakey
  • Total Posts : 31466
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:11:06 (permalink)
when you have 2 kids in childcare at £1,200 a month it soon puts a dent in you 40k i can tell you that.

And that was part time.
Whagwan
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:13:31 (permalink)
Snakey
when you have 2 kids in childcare at £1,200 a month it soon puts a dent in you 40k i can tell you that.

And that was part time.

Of course,  I agree with pretty much all Subsurface has posted regarding this.

Families on a sole income of 40k may struggle.  But they still ain't the middle.

metzie
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:14:27 (permalink)
Whagwan
Shiverman

My point is an income of 40k even in London puts you (just) in the top 30% of earners.  That is not the MIDDLE.

If you think social class is determined solely by income then yes it does.
Ankle
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:14:38 (permalink)
metzie
Everyone is being fucked over, just in different guises. I am not a cunt, I know there are people worse off than me, but it doesn't make my struggle less real. I can't get a council house or a mortgage, at least people on lower incomes can get help with housing. 

You could always turn to smack or have a few kiddies, or both if you want a council gaff. 

Sorry but you're really not struggling. 
Whagwan
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:14:48 (permalink)
Just like people feel the need to keep reminding me that nobody is arguing they are poor, I'm not arguing that everyone on £40k is wandering around flashing bundles of fifties shouting "LOADSAMONEY"

Whagwan
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:16:10 (permalink)
metzie
Whagwan
Shiverman

If you think social class is determined solely by income then yes it does.

Not being funny at all but not sure what you mean by this.
metzie
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:16:26 (permalink)
Ankle
metzie

You could always turn to smack or have a few kiddies, or both if you want a council gaff. 

I'm not struggling, I am being squeezed!!!!!!!1
Eazyflow
  • Total Posts : 3193
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:17:35 (permalink)

OLD SKOOL FOR SALE:

"If you don't know the roots from the trunk of the tree, you won't know the branches or what the fruit will b
Whagwan
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:18:03 (permalink)

Ankle
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:19:13 (permalink)

The Waco Kid
  • Total Posts : 43242
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:19:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wiseacre 2015/04/02 13:23:03
Shiverman
Ankle
Come the fuck off it. 

Haha 

It happens all the time. 

Whagwan
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:21:17 (permalink)
metzie
Ankle
metzie

I'm not struggling, I am being squeezed!!!!!!!1

Anyway, so we don't spend all day arguing about what is the middle lets all laugh at the fact that Nick Clegg might lose his seat.

http://www.theguardian.co...ing-lord-ashcroft-poll
Subsurface
  • Total Posts : 15074
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:25:09 (permalink)
metzie
Subsurface

Sorry, I feel bad for singling you out. You don't have to justify your spending to me or anyone else.

You should complain about the housing situation. It's a sorry state of affairs if a middle earner can't afford to buy a house.

But on the other hand, if you can comfortably buy luxuries but call yourself "squeezed" it looks more than a little bit of a first-world-problem. It's actually quite insulting to people who are living on 10p noodles.
Shiverman
Re: General Election 2015 2015/04/02 13:26:11 (permalink)
Subsurface
Or even having to rely on credit cards to get by. 

I don't think so, that's borderline, or firmly stuck in, poverty

It can't really be compared to the grim situation so many low earners find themselves in in London.

No one claims it is, we're talking about the squeezed middle here. Buying some trainers isn't indicative of being well off.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 313
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0