AnsweredHot!Politics Thread

Page: << < ..436437438439440.. > >> Showing page 437 of 447
Author
Hector Savage
  • Total Posts : 2828
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 08:36:41 (permalink)
Fucks sake Steve
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 91006
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 08:42:50 (permalink)
Reppin Doughty to the max
Hector Savage
  • Total Posts : 2828
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 08:47:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dimdum 2017/10/06 10:02:10
I'll have a word
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 17980
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 08:53:04 (permalink)
Does anyone have any strong views either way about how corporation tax should be handled in the EU? Should countries be able to set their own corporate tax rates and rules, or should the EC be the ultimate arbiter? I.e. members subscribed to a Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base set of rules.

Some rapid growth EU countries have aggressively low corporation tax e.g. Ireland. If countries like France attempt to follow suit, it'll potentially make the EU look very different, with a big state>private power transfer. A CCCTB is arguably necessary to prevent a 'race to the bottom', but I find it hard to believe there's sufficient appetite to make it work in the current climate.

wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 19254
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 09:04:05 (permalink)
there needs to be some sort of framework agreement or harmonisation. ireland I'm fine with as companies generally have an actual presence there (eg apple in cork). on the other hand you have empty office postboxes in luxembourg that only have a cleaner visit once a month. 

perhaps the EU should impose it's own corporate tax rate that immediately gets rebated back to the country in question, effectively acting as an EU wide minimum? i dunno.

ultimately, you shouldn't be part of the EU and all the collective benefits that brings and then profit on a vast scale from shafting your partners out of tax revenue by acting as a conduit for mega corps shifting earnings offshore. it's a race to the bottom and weakens unity.

we're not talking about local, regional or national companies here, but huge multinationals using it as a tax dodge.

no
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 21033
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 09:07:07 (permalink)
Grant Shapps sticking his neck on the line going round all the news outlets saying he's got 30 MPs who want May out. This will either fall flat on its arse and put Shapps at odds with the party or (more likely IMO) this will grow and grow until the pressure is unbearable. Some MPs suggesting it's 50/50 whether the PM will still be in office come monday.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/06/tory-ministers-privately-agree-theresa-may-should-go-says-grant-schapps

RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 11749
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 09:19:29 (permalink)
Stoopid_Fux
*cough*

Couldn't agree more, that was a shocking revelation into the way her mind works. I can't help feeling part of that is the overcompensating macho behaviour found amongst many female world leaders- eg Indira Gandhi in Amritsar, Thatcher in fucking everything she did. However she rarely slipped up like this.

With Johnson, it's a modus operandi 

wiseacre
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 09:19:48 (permalink)
who next is what worries me.

it's going to be boris, isn't it? fuck's sake.

no
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 09:24:38 (permalink)
If I eve see anyone having a massive psychotic episode, I always think "a nice bucket bong should calm them down" 

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 09:26:12 (permalink)
wiseacre

I'm not so sure. Tory leadership contests always end up with the favourite getting boyed off.

We can hope! 

gutlessrhyme
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 09:27:51 (permalink)
wiseacre

99% Boris
1% Rees-Mogg

IMO

And whilst I think Boris will be quite popular with the electorate (because of that tackle), I think he'll be quite unpopular within the Tory party.  And unless he changes his stripes, it wouldn't be long before his first cockup. It's almost a guarantee isn't it?
post edited by gutlessrhyme - 2017/10/06 09:28:56

_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 4398
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 09:29:28 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme
wiseacre

99% Boris
1% Rees-Mogg

IMO

And whilst I think Boris will be quite popular with the electorate (because of that tackle), I don't think he'll be unanimously popular within the Tory party. And unless he changes his stripes, it wouldn't be long before his first cockup. It's almost a guarantee isn't it?

I imagine there's also a large proportion of Tory remainers who absolutely hate his guts. 
darkmatter
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 09:30:34 (permalink)
wiseacre
(Tax stuff...)

Agreed. I think there either needs to be some form of consensus or a commitment to independence. Seems a halfway house is innately unfair and risks the louder voices in the EU consistently benefiting the most from any legislation.

RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 91006
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 09:38:10 (permalink)
DJModus
gutlessrhyme
wiseacre

99% Boris
1% Rees-Mogg

IMO

And whilst I think Boris will be quite popular with the electorate (because of that tackle), I don't think he'll be unanimously popular within the Tory party. And unless he changes his stripes, it wouldn't be long before his first cockup. It's almost a guarantee isn't it?

I imagine there's also a large proportion of Tory remainers who absolutely hate his guts. 

Yep. Parents have voted tory for 30 years and said they would vote for no one if Boris was leader.
SmokedEggs
  • Total Posts : 2014
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 09:56:45 (permalink)

gutlessrhyme
Grant Shapps sticking his neck on the line going round all the news outlets saying he's got 30 MPs who want May out. This will either fall flat on its arse and put Shapps at odds with the party or (more likely IMO) this will grow and grow until the pressure is unbearable. Some MPs suggesting it's 50/50 whether the PM will still be in office come monday.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/06/tory-ministers-privately-agree-theresa-may-should-go-says-grant-schapps

DJModus
gutlessrhyme
wiseacre

99% Boris
1% Rees-Mogg

IMO

If May goes then I think we will end up with a general election. 

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 10:25:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Whagwan 2017/10/06 10:44:04
SmokedEggs

That would be fucking ace

SmokedEggs
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 10:28:17 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
SmokedEggs

That would be fucking ace

well, the tories seem to have an ability to cling onto power in any circumstance, but I can't see how they will make a new leader of their minority government stick, unless they continue to keep the DUP onboard.
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 4398
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 10:29:12 (permalink)
It is so bizarre how much things have shifted compared to this time last year. Every morning it felt like Nick Robinson, Humphreys etc were talking to a disgruntled Labour MP who had no confidence in Corbyn. One year later you've got that piece of sludge Shapps saying "the writing is on the wall" for May and there's now a complete vacuum of leadership in the Tory ranks. 

I find I'm waking up in a much better mood these days. 

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 10:33:52 (permalink)
Only Trump and his "quiet before the storm" comments to spoil our moods now! 

wiseacre
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 10:44:27 (permalink)
surely the tories are mortified at the prospect of another election and will do anything to avoid it as they would lose. despite their inner turmoil i don't thin it will be enough to trigger one unless they really can't get their shit together. or really piss off the DUP, who again aren't going to give up the most power they've ever had.

no
gutlessrhyme
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 10:54:40 (permalink)
wiseacre
who again aren't going to give up the most power they've ever had.

and money

gutlessrhyme
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 10:55:40 (permalink)
Just think, it was barely 2 and a half years ago Cameron was on the podium up against Miliband. How times have changed since those halycon days

wiseacre
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 11:05:39 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme
wiseacre
who again aren't going to give up the most power they've ever had.

and money

true. if they've already got the cash they might not give a shit as they don't seem to want much influence over policy.

no
SW14
  • Total Posts : 9206
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 11:13:35 (permalink)
darkmatter
Does anyone have any strong views either way about how corporation tax should be handled in the EU? Should countries be able to set their own corporate tax rates and rules, or should the EC be the ultimate arbiter? I.e. members subscribed to a Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base set of rules.

Some rapid growth EU countries have aggressively low corporation tax e.g. Ireland. If countries like France attempt to follow suit, it'll potentially make the EU look very different, with a big state>private power transfer. A CCCTB is arguably necessary to prevent a 'race to the bottom', but I find it hard to believe there's sufficient appetite to make it work in the current climate.

I think fiscal tools and taxation should be a state matter. The Eurozone currency already takes too much fiscal stimulus away from member states (eg interest rates, currency devaluation to boost manufacturing/tourism).
SW14
  • Total Posts : 9206
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 11:14:41 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
If I eve see anyone having a massive psychotic episode, I always think "a nice bucket bong should calm them down" 

Alex Jones is a weed smoker.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/06 11:19:33 (permalink)
SW14
Jungle Dave

Alex Jones is a weed smoker.

You don't think I was being serious did you? I'm fairly partisan about Mary Jane, but not that bad. 

I'm not convinced Alex Jones is as frothingly mental as he pretends to be. He's like a Jeremy Clarkson/Katie Hopkins for conspiracists. He is a massive dickhole though

gutlessrhyme
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/09 12:57:14 (permalink)
Check out @fleetstreetfox’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/fleet...17368511269363712?s=09

"blapped"

darkmatter
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/09 13:01:15 (permalink)
SW14

I think fiscal tools and taxation should be a state matter. The Eurozone currency already takes too much fiscal stimulus away from member states (eg interest rates, currency devaluation to boost manufacturing/tourism).

I agree mostly, though I haven't worked out a clear answer on what my solution would actually be.

Applying a similar logic to the UK, I think we all accept that money made in London gets redistributed. It's the only way - after all why would an investor put money into Basingstoke, rather than London? They wouldn't. So some redistribution makes sense. Even the most hard-line tories accept this dynamic internally within the country - of course there are varying degrees - but I haven't heard anyone call for scrapping re-distribution completely and simply letting the market decide. The question is - what formula should be used to determine how to make this re-distribution fair? And should the same formulae apply beyond national state borders? If not, why not - surely exactly the same motivating factors apply?

That's a long winded way of saying I agree with re-distribution provided it's done properly and fairly, but that the current system (both internally and in the EU) does not achieve that and it causes problems for exactly the reason you outlined.

The Catalunyans are having the same debate really. It also characterises the south EU vs. north EU divide. Why would an investor put money into southern Europe? The answer is they wouldn't... unless they could be convinced that southern Europe would slash labour prices to such a level that they can complete with northern european efficiency. So in this case the EU is serving as an excellent vehicle for undermining labour prices. The problem is, as soon as those labour prices are dropped, the cheapest workers suddenly have an incentive to move north and make that money within the more efficient economy - again providing a disincentive for investment in the poorer economy. How can poorer states 'catch up' without undercutting (to the detriment of the lower rung workers)? Not expecting an answer there by the way, I don't have any 

SmokedEggs
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/09 13:31:45 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme
Check out @fleetstreetfox’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/fleet...17368511269363712?s=09

"blapped"

blaped by a minister
gutlessrhyme
Re: General Election 2015 2017/10/09 13:37:38 (permalink)
Blaped by a ringpiece

Page: << < ..436437438439440.. > >> Showing page 437 of 447
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0