AnsweredHot!Politics Thread

Page: << < ..306307308309310.. > >> Showing page 306 of 313
Author
godf
  • Total Posts : 4771
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/21 13:13:57 (permalink)
SmokedEggs
DrumBongo
SW14
The NHS has 56 billion set aside to deal with compensation claims. 

What do you think of legislating that you can't sue the NHS for negligence as a condition of using it in order to free that money up for the NHS itself?

Where's the accountability there?

Well not only am I strongly against the idea, I also don't think it's legally feasible.  You can't simply sign your rights away like that.  Negligence is negligence...

UK medicine is rediculous for how little accountability there is anyway. The system is routinely run for the benefit of those with power within the system, rather than patients. When this ends up fucking up peoples lives, what should they do no compensation is being made even harder to get? A life fighting with the DWP in order to get £70/week once they've shown they're now unable to work? Hard to think that these are the people currently getting too much money. Would be better to cap pay/pensions for those at the top of the system - or make it easier to strip individuals of their rewards when it has been revealed they profited from quackery/incompetence.
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 6964
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/21 14:03:52 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
darkmatter

Chuka Umunna getting asked 'what is a soft brexit?' on TV... literally can't answer. Surely you should at least foresee the question and be able to sidestep more effectively?

I watched that last night. Bit of a mess all round, from Big Narstie to Chukka to that wittering bag lady Widdecome. Gina Miller had a dodgy start but ended up rinsing Andrew Neil I thought.

She has a career in proper politics if she wants it, see also "Women that you shouldn't but..." thread too.

Really ?
I thought she came across terrible on This Week last night.

I say that as someone who voted to remain and wished we were staying in the EU but she came across terrible. 

I kind of wish she would go away because it is people like her and her latest ideas on 'progressive voting' (her words not mine) that will encourage a kneejerk reaction to MP's that were against Brexit and will benefit the Tories in the general election when Brexit shouldn't be the only issue.

She should just go into politics herself rather than pretending shes somehow neutral.
Jungle Dave
  • Total Posts : 10803
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/21 14:09:30 (permalink)
Stoopid_Fux

Really ?
I thought she came across terrible on This Week last night.

She started off badly with her daft premise that she didn't want to Remain, but to examine the choice. To deny that she hadn't assessed the choice and decided Remain opened her up to the broadside Neil gave her. But when she got herself off the ropes I found his insinuations about "hobbies" and her wealth utterly patronising and she gunned him deservedly. 

She should just go into politics herself rather than pretending shes somehow neutral.

Defo. She's a remarkable woman. 

Stoopid_Fux
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/21 14:17:57 (permalink)
yeh fair enough Andrew Neill was bit a patronising cunt as he often is. And its bit rich coming from him talking about her wealth derogatively when the fucker is absolutely loaded himself.
DrumBongo
  • Total Posts : 1917
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/21 14:25:21 (permalink)
I bet she was a fox when she was younger
Stoopid_Fux
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/21 16:00:16 (permalink)
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 17335
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/21 16:09:20 (permalink)
Stoopid_Fux
 its bit rich coming from him talking about her wealth derogatively when the fucker is absolutely loaded himself.

Innit, surprised she didn't call him out on that 

Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2559
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 07:39:37 (permalink)
There's no-one worth voting for. I want to vote, not spoil my ballot, but all 3 are just shit. Two are slightly less shit I guess. At least last time we had Clegg who actually seemed like a decent human being.

Deep insight I know...
Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 10390
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 08:35:30 (permalink)
Rudeboysy
There's no-one worth voting for. I want to vote, not spoil my ballot, but all 3 are just shit. Two are slightly less shit I guess. At least last time we had Clegg who actually seemed like a decent human being.

Deep insight I know...

I think you'd be being unfair to say that Corbyn isn't at least a decent human being. 
Rudeboysy
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 09:54:35 (permalink)
Shiverman
Rudeboysy

Deep insight I know...

I think you'd be being unfair to say that Corbyn isn't at least a decent human being. 

Yeah ok, that's a fair point. Still, he's far from being someone you would actually want to vote for. Might just end up voting labour anyway tbh
SW14
  • Total Posts : 7954
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 09:59:58 (permalink)
May is still keeping that ridiculous foreign aid/dictator limo fund at 0.7%.

Obscene that that comes before cuts to disability allowance.

Also looks like they'll lose the tax lock from the 2015 manifesto.

When you are an overseas voter, which constituency would your vote go to if you don't have a UK address? Last registered one?
LHC
  • Total Posts : 5593
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 10:18:12 (permalink)
Looks like it, yes: http://researchbriefings....ts/SN05923/SN05923.pdf

Page 3

SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 10:37:09 (permalink)
Cheers, was wondering how that worked.
SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 11:53:48 (permalink)
This is pretty mad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/rudy-giuliani-the-jailed-turkish-gold-trader-and-the-secret-meeting-with-erdogan-1.3056527?mode=amp

By the way, has anyone noticed the annoying politician speak way of answering questions "let me be clear -"?
post edited by SW14 - 2017/04/22 12:28:22
Shiverman
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 12:30:04 (permalink)
SW14
This is pretty mad.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/rudy-giuliani-the-jailed-turkish-gold-trader-and-the-secret-meeting-with-erdogan-1.3056527?mode=amp

By the way, has anyone noticed the annoying politician speak way of answering questions "let me be clear -"?

This has been getting on my tits for a while now.
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 18972
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 12:30:37 (permalink)
SW14
anyone noticed the annoying politician speak way of answering questions "let me be clear -"?

Yeah this has bothered me for years but it seems to be on the increase.

"Let me be clear..." Followed by something completely unclear and avoids the question.

"I've been very clear...." No you haven't.

SW14
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 12:35:38 (permalink)
It's a plague. Cameron used to do it all the time, now May when asked directly if she'd rule out tax rises.

Asked on the campaign trail whether she would rule out tax rules, she said: “Let’s be very clear on the issue of taxation.

“At this election people are going to have a very clear choice: they will have a choice between a Conservative party which always has been, is, and will continue to be a party that believes in lower taxes, in keeping taxes down for ordinary working people … or the choice is a Labour party whose natural instinct is always to raise taxes.”

I thought it might be a Tory thing like standing in weird legs apart pose on stage but Labour do it too.
gutlessrhyme
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 12:39:56 (permalink)
I guess it's taught at 'becoming a cunt of a politician' school

gutlessrhyme
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 12:41:14 (permalink)
When politicians don't give a direct answer, I wish interviewers would press the point until it becomes uncomfortable rather than taking a half-arsed swerve of an answer and moving on.

darkmatter
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 13:34:52 (permalink)
Incredibly annoying, usually followed up be re-stating their slightly related core policy, rather than being clear in any way.

Or they're not answering the question, and when the interviewer cuts in to remind them of this "Well if you let me answer the question!!" followed by a laugh and then followed by not answering the question once again.

Especially grating when they act derisory and hard done by when people actually call them out on being an incompetent shit show, as if the interviewer is somehow to blame, e.g. Diane Abbott.

godf
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 14:20:20 (permalink)
The 'power posing' thing is based on the sort of quack research that UK politicians are stupid enough to trust:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2016/01/amy_cuddy_s_power_pose_research_is_the_latest_example_of_scientific_overreach.html

Maybe it's reassuring that they're genuinely stupid in ways that harm themselves, rather than just making evil use of quack research only when it serves their interest? [Although this isn't that great as there are lots of people in industry/academia/civil-service who are bright enough to make evil use of quack research].
post edited by godf - 2017/04/22 14:24:43
Shiverman
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 14:20:51 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme
When politicians don't give a direct answer, I wish interviewers would press the point until it becomes uncomfortable rather than taking a half-arsed swerve of an answer and moving on.

Generally they're not allowed. Otherwise they've got a Malcolm Tucker in the wings waiting to threaten to wear their grandmothers skin to their birthday party etc. Journalists, particularly the BBC, toe the line.
darkmatter
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 14:24:01 (permalink)
godf

Maybe it's reassuring that they're genuinely stupid in ways that harm themselves, rather than just making evil use of quack research only when it serves their interest?

I bet it works. The general public isn't as astute as the highly intellectual folk of DNBA.

godf
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 14:26:10 (permalink)
darkmatter
godf

Maybe it's reassuring that they're genuinely stupid in ways that harm themselves, rather than just making evil use of quack research only when it serves their interest?

I bet it works. The general public isn't as astute as the highly intellectual folk of DNBA.

The research, when not being spun, seems to indicate that it doesn't. Even on the dross that make up the general public (or, more likely for psych research, students).
gutlessrhyme
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 14:28:56 (permalink)
Indeed. I reckon if T.May or Corbyn just gritted their teeth and appeared as a guest judge on X-Factor, it would garner them a million more votes. 

MalcolmTucker
  • Total Posts : 914
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 15:16:02 (permalink)
It's funny watching politicians adopting the thumb-out fist or the thoughtful connecting fingertips when on TV - it looks so contrived and unnatural and thus, renders them completely untrustworthy. You would have thought they'd learn from Farage and be natural, rather than cloaking themselves with transparent tricks and rehearsed soundbytes like kang.
gutlessrhyme
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 22:28:24 (permalink)
Corbyn has announced plans for 4 more bank holidays.

RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 88786
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 22:49:46 (permalink)

simon.r
  • Total Posts : 4249
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/22 23:35:10 (permalink)
MalcolmTucker
It's funny watching politicians adopting the thumb-out fist or the thoughtful connecting fingertips when on TV - it looks so contrived and unnatural and thus, renders them completely untrustworthy. You would have thought they'd learn from Farage and be natural, rather than cloaking themselves with transparent tricks and rehearsed soundbytes like kang.

It works though; expect to hear 'coalition of chaos' repeated ad infinitum in the next month.
Rudeboysy
Re: General Election 2015 2017/04/23 08:25:55 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme
Corbyn has announced plans for 4 more bank holidays.

So there is someone with voting for after all...
Page: << < ..306307308309310.. > >> Showing page 306 of 313
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0