Helpful ReplyHot!PC thread.

Page: << < ..3132333435 Showing page 35 of 35
Author
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 97486
Re: PC thread. 2019/01/11 18:58:45 (permalink)
think it's about time i overclock my graphics card, i increase the clock speed etc on MSI Afterburner but it doesn't seem to do anything and then i reset my computer and the settings have gone back to normal even though i clicked 'apply overclocking on start up', what am i missing? And do i need an aftermarket fan or is the bog standard one that came with my case going to be ok?
RAYZA
Re: PC thread. 2019/01/11 19:33:54 (permalink)
No worries, got it working. Just crashes the benchmark now though.
shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24923
Re: PC thread. 2019/01/11 19:49:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RAYZA 2019/01/11 20:14:44
I'm not terribly clued up on this tbh but in terms of fans you'll want some headroom to speed them up as it's obviously going to run hotter as you increase the voltage, which has to be increased to keep things stable at an increased clock speed. Whether they are up to the task or not is probably impossible for me to say as it depends on your system, how well ventilated everything is or even nearby heat sources.

Best place to start is by looking at the temperatures you're getting under load without overclocking, I was told it's wise to back off once you're exceeding 80 degrees although that may vary from card to card. Run a benchmark test, if you've got room to maneouvre and your fans aren't anywhere close too full capacity then gradually start to increase your clock speeds in small increments and see what happens keeping an eye on temperatures at all times.

If it crashes then it probably isn't stable and you'll want to either increase the voltage or decrease the clock speeds upon restarting.

I would recommend not applying the overclock on startup, if you're playing a game that runs fine already or doing something else then there isn't much point and I think you could cause yourself more problems it's unstable. Uncheck that option and the settings should come into effect as soon as you hit apply.

I hope that is somewhat helpful, tbh I would recommend looking into some guides from people who definitely know what they're talking about before starting anything. I take no responsibility for you frying your system as a result of following my advice
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11909
Re: PC thread. 2019/01/11 19:53:06 (permalink)
Www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/7ttssw/best_temp_monitoring_program/

Think I have open hardware monitor back home, do you run any program for monitoring temperatures on your system? The top comment looks decent as well as it's more in-depth but I've never tried it.

Might be an idea to use that and see what's happening with the temperatures/voltages for any irregularities.

Same applies for OC your cpu.

There's plenty of guides out there, are you using MSI afterburner or something to OC the gcard? (Can't remember from the post lol)

Edit just checked, perhaps have a Google regarding your card and suggested settings for OCing if you haven't already?
post edited by JUDGEDREDD - 2019/01/11 19:56:04
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18803
Re: PC thread. 2019/01/11 20:17:22 (permalink)
My main computer and my work computer both have disgustingly noisy fans, I'd rather underclock if anything 

JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11909
Re: PC thread. 2019/01/12 00:09:32 (permalink)
darkmatter
My main computer and my work computer both have disgustingly noisy fans, I'd rather underclock if anything 

Get a fan speed controller application if they allow it? SpeedFan perhaps?
RAYZA
Re: PC thread. 2019/01/13 22:09:41 (permalink)
GPU prices are a joke at the moment. The same version of the 2080ti as my 980ti costs £1400 compared to the £750 I paid 3 years ago. Can't bring myself to pay that much for something that will drop in value so quickly, especially as I'd only get about £150 for mine probably.
Dubtitled
  • Total Posts : 6389
Re: PC thread. 2019/01/14 10:18:31 (permalink)
Same reason I bought a 1070 when RTX released. Piss takers. I was coming from 780Ti.
Page: << < ..3132333435 Showing page 35 of 35
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0