Helpful ReplyHot!PC thread.

Page: << < ..31323334 > Showing page 33 of 34
Author
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 95579
Re: PC thread. 2017/12/07 21:30:08 (permalink)
@ spils ETC, 

what you reckon about this one? I've decided to get a new one because fuck it

https://www.back2.co.uk/herman-miller-mirra-2-butterfly-chair-graphite-in-stock.html

£100 more in John Lewis, not sure what the difference is

https://www.johnlewis.com...D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
RAYZA
Bruce Bogtrotter
  • Total Posts : 7923
Re: PC thread. 2017/12/08 07:14:16 (permalink)
Both bonafide sites.

Try this guy too, it’s where I got mine from

John White
Space Efficient Interiors Ltd
Tel: 01908 588080
Email: jw@spaceff.com
www.spaceff.co.uk

OEM
  • Total Posts : 33393
Re: PC thread. 2017/12/08 07:30:53 (permalink)
Does he sell ccv tho 

RAYZA
Re: PC thread. 2017/12/08 17:04:30 (permalink)
BrianBadonde
Both bonafide sites.

John White
www.spaceff.co.uk

I thought you were joking at first. All these sites look like they could be scams lol.
RAYZA
Re: PC thread. 2017/12/12 13:31:18 (permalink)
Got a fully loaded Mirra 2 brand new for 380, pretty fucking sweet price
Dubtitled
  • Total Posts : 6359
Re: PC thread. 2017/12/12 17:01:24 (permalink)
Razor

Where?
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: PC thread. 2017/12/12 17:19:42 (permalink)
Razor
BrianBadonde
Both bonafide sites.

John White
www.spaceff.co.uk

I thought you were joking at first. All these sites look like they could be scams lol.

They're both authorised dealers

RAYZA
Re: PC thread. 2017/12/12 17:24:56 (permalink)
Dubtitled
Razor

Where?

Ebay. The guy sold another two and both have good feedback so should be ok. Not got it delivered yet.
godf
  • Total Posts : 4903
Re: PC thread. 2017/12/12 18:00:56 (permalink)
edit: wrong thread.
spils
  • Total Posts : 15087
Re: PC thread. 2017/12/12 19:24:55 (permalink)
Razor

Ebay. The guy sold another two and both have good feedback so should be ok. Not got it delivered yet.

Should be fine if hes legit, you don't have to worry about fakes or anything the chairs are so unique its extremely hard to copy the design. I've never come across a fake.

£380 is a very good price. They retailed at around £500-£600 on launch at most places. Since the pound went shit your looking £600-£650+ delivered at most online sellers.

The chair is probley out an office rip, worst case scenario. There built like tanks it wont hurt if its seen slight use. Smell the mesh when it arrives. See if it smells of someone else farts :D  

RAYZA
Re: PC thread. 2017/12/30 21:19:07 (permalink)
slightly disappointing with the chair tbh, it's not as comfortable as i was expecting. i wish you could recline the back without moving the base as the default position feels too upright for my liking but i guess it's meant to be good for your back. Oh well i'm stuck with it now lol.
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/11 10:20:44 (permalink)
Razor
slightly disappointing with the chair tbh, it's not as comfortable as i was expecting. i wish you could recline the back without moving the base as the default position feels too upright for my liking but i guess it's meant to be good for your back. Oh well i'm stuck with it now lol.

Yep I tried the Mirra2 back to back with the Embody and chose the latter. The Mirra wasn't that comfy.  Still waiting for delivery... 7th Feb ffs

Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/11 10:23:26 (permalink)
Does anyone with a Mac use a NAS that they can recommend? I currently use a USB hard drive plugged in to an airport extreme. Bit crude, does the job for what I need but storage is running out and I have tunes/films/backups etc all over the place so would like it ALL in one location.

Dubtitled
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/11 13:26:03 (permalink)
QNAP gets my vote from Windows land.
21 21
  • Total Posts : 6180
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/18 13:36:00 (permalink)
hi PC m8s, I need some advice please.

I have a 128gb SSD in my PC currently running windows and all of my music software.

It's got a bit full and I'm thinking of upgrading to a Samsung 850 Evo 500gb. 

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00P73B1E4/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1516282265&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+850+evo+500gb)

I'm probably going to do a fresh install of windows so not worried about doing a clone but if I disconnect my current SSD and put the new Samsung in - I take it my PC will boot up and it'll be like starting from scratch? I just install windows as I did previously and away I go? 

Then once new windows install is up and running can I plug the old SSD back in (alongside the new one) and access the files without having it boot into windows so I can pull across the stuff I want? 

or should I transfer everything from the current SSD onto an external drive and just move it over that way?

it's a pretty simple question and I feel a bit dumb for asking considering I built this PC myself lol. just not had to think about anything like this for a bit.

just want a fresh start. I've got a ton of legit paid for music software on here and a load of hacked stuff but I'm thinking about starting over and just buying the stuff I use most. 

Thanks! 
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20468
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/18 14:51:46 (permalink)
You don't need to remove the old one, just change the boot priority in bios. Boot to Windows install usb/dvd for install

Why reinstall anyway? You could leave windows on the old and have all your shit on the new.

Assuming you have space for both in there

no
21 21
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/18 15:05:25 (permalink)
wiseacre
You don't need to remove the old one, just change the boot priority in bios. Boot to Windows install usb/dvd for install

Why reinstall anyway? You could leave windows on the old and have all your shit on the new.

Assuming you have space for both in there

I guess it's easier for me to restart on a newer, quicker, bigger SSD with a fresh Windows install and put legit copies of Ableton and the VST plug-ins that have become a part of my daily workflow on there from new. 

Currently my SSD runs windows and music stuff only - I use a couple of old HDDs for games, photos, music, etc. 

The only problem is the SDD is pretty cluttered up with a mix of legit and hacked stuff and if I'm going fully legit with Ableton, etc. then I'd rather it wasn't all mixed in. I've got about 10 different VST folders across programfiles / programfiles(x86) / steinberg / VSTplugins. It's all a bit haphazard and Ableton hangs on exit all of the time.

Just want to clear it all and go again. 

But yeah, there's room for both so I'll use the 500gb Evo for Windows and all music software and then re-use the 128gb SSD for samples / storage, etc. 

But yeah, cool - I'll get the new SSD stick it in alongside the existing and change the boot priority. Do a fresh install - install and update all audio drivers and Native Instruments software and then start moving a few bits over from the old drive. 
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20468
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/18 15:12:51 (permalink)
just make sure you select the right drive for install or you'll lose your stuff. poss temporarily disconnect the old drive to be on the safe side.

i've not done it, but i've heard that reinstalling vsts and the like can be a massive pain in the arse, especially if some are cracked. it's not always as simple as copying them over.

no
21 21
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/18 15:34:02 (permalink)
yeah I think I'll disconnect while I get the new drive up and running. 

I'm not going to copy the cracked VSTs over. If I'm having a fresh start then I'm going to buy the VSTs I use regularly - I think I have enough money these days to support those companies properly - I've been "demoing" their products for long enough hah. 

I'm going to get a full install of Ableton 9.5 (with free upgrade to 10) and Push 2. That's always been a cracked version and it's fine but I really want the updates when they become available. 

I've got loads of synths that are cracked but I've also got the fully registered NI Komplete so... I dunno. Sometimes I feel like I've got too many synths which isn't always productive. 

So yeah, gonna go MOSTLY legit. Might end up using some of the cracked VSTs but will reinstall them all from fresh on the new SSD to avoid any broken links / missing files / reg issues, etc. 

Thanks man. 
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 23096
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/18 17:15:43 (permalink)
dazdsb
Sometimes I feel like I've got too many synths 

21 21
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/18 18:58:04 (permalink)
I play synth, we all play synth.
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/24 17:32:15 (permalink)
NAS wise ended up getting a synology and a couple of those WD red hard drives... fed up with having tunes/movies etc all over the place. I really hope this wasn't a shit idea

Dubtitled
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/25 12:08:49 (permalink)
Synology is fine, I still prefer QNAP but a lot of it is personal preference. WD red drives are the best for your use case too. How many disks and what level of RAID have you set?

It's not a shit idea you'll see how useful having a centralised storage of files on an always on device is. What are you using for playback?
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/25 12:28:44 (permalink)
Dubtitled
Synology is fine, I still prefer QNAP but a lot of it is personal preference. WD red drives are the best for your use case too. How many disks and what level of RAID have you set?

It's not a shit idea you'll see how useful having a centralised storage of files on an always on device is. What are you using for playback?

2 4TB WD red disks. RE playback I have apple TVs dotted around the house with the app "infuse" on them. Currently accessing films from a usb hdd plugged in to an airport extreme. House is wired with ethernet too as over wireless was shite for big bluray files...  currently works really well but is quite primitive and HDD space is nearly gone. Will use raid 1 but given i'm slowly ripping all my vinyl (aiff so around 60mb a track) i'm already now concerned 4TB isnt enough so contemplating returning and getting a 4 bay FFS
post edited by Bruce Bogtrotter - 2018/01/25 12:30:02

Dubtitled
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/27 16:08:24 (permalink)
They make reds up to 10TB, you'd have to check your chassis supports that size though. If you go for more bays then go RAID 5 or 6. If your data is really important to you then consider something like backblaze to sync it to cloud. Personally I have a two bay in RAID 1 and none of the data is important enough to me if it failed on both drives or there was a fire for it to be more than an inconvenience.
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 31028
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/27 22:46:12 (permalink)
4tb is nowhere near enough.

gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 23096
Re: PC thread. 2018/01/28 00:11:12 (permalink)
I've got 2x2TB set up in RAID 1. Then a separate 1TB drive for less important stuff I don't mind losing.

Always prefer having something local to relying on a cloud solution but I'm not even sure why.
Whagwan
  • Total Posts : 23700
Re: PC thread. 2018/03/27 15:26:42 (permalink)
I know fuck all about laptops,missus is after a new one for approx £300.  Happy to go refurbished etc.  Any tips?
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11192
Re: PC thread. 2018/03/27 15:45:35 (permalink)
14 days old
https://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/9-best-budget-laptops-for-under-299-1304028

1 Day old 
https://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/laptop-deals-cheap-laptops-1296090

I guess just go as close to £300, you're not going to get much variation between each laptop at that price

Page: << < ..31323334 > Showing page 33 of 34
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0