Helpful ReplyHot!PC thread.

Page: << < ..31 Showing page 31 of 31
Author
Dubtitled
  • Total Posts : 6292
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/18 17:15:18 (permalink)
Here's mine:
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5867488

Looks like it hates Samsung rapid mode enabled on SSDs, I knew my GFX card was a bad overclocker and it doesn't recognize my RAM.

Razer I think you need to enable XMP or just clock your ram at 1600Mhz in your bios. I can't be arsed to google your mobo but I'd be surprised if it could only handle 1333Mhz which is what yours is clocked at the moment.
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 91552
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/18 17:17:29 (permalink)
Cool I'll have a look, reckon it will actually make any difference?

I'm pretty impressed by how long this build is lasting, I must have had it for about 5 years and it's still pretty high end. Only thing I changed was my GPU after a year. I was planning on doing a completely new build soon but I'm not sure that it's worth it, I may just get whatever the next Nvidia GPU is and that new monitor that's out soon which is 144hz, IPS, G Sync, 3440 x1440, HDR and I should be good for another 5 years, tbf those 2 would set me back a couple grand anyway lol. CPU technology moves pretty slowly doesn't it?
post edited by RAYZA - 2017/11/18 17:24:06
Dubtitled
  • Total Posts : 6292
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/18 17:19:19 (permalink)
Probably not perceptible in real world use.
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 9817
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/18 18:08:20 (permalink)
Traffic
JUDGEDREDD
Dubtitled
I would open task manager and sort by cpu usage and then google any high entries you don't recognise to see whether they're needed.

+1

also check what processes are launching on boot via task manager (win10) or via msconfig (other versions) 

If you need any help PM me and we can skype xxx

I literally OC'd my i5 2500K this week... and had similar concerns as you. Obviously, follow any guide you are comfortable with, but I found it very easy to do.

Three main things you need to consider:
Base MHz
Multiplier 
Voltage

From what I read, it is NOT recommended to change base MHz (usually around 100). Your multiplier is what you'd be playing around with, and I went from 33 to 44 (44 * 100MHz). Did a few tests, mainly with Intel Burn Test, and it ran well with a full load heat of 56 Celcius. I left the voltage to Auto, which apparently is also recommended. Doing tests on stuff like Intel Burn Test is good, however you should also test on the games you like and see if you're crashing or getting overheating issues (never let it go over the TJ  Max rating). In my case it was Forza 7 and it seemed to be running fine.

In terms of monitoring your GHz, use something like CPU-Z, as the Task Manager was giving me ranges of 4.4 to 5.8GHz, but I'm assuming that's due to the "Turbo Boost" function within the BIOS or something more "artificial" happening. CPU-Z consistently showed it running at 4.4GHz at around 38 Celcius. Definitely get a non-stock cooling system. I'm currently using a Corsair H60.

Thank you Traffic, I'll have a look in to it using this info I feel a bit more confident, I'll bag a cooler as well.
Page: << < ..31 Showing page 31 of 31
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0