Helpful ReplyHot!PC thread.

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 30 of 31
Author
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 21526
Re: PC thread. 2017/10/26 21:41:50 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme
Any recommendations for a quiet keyboard? Neighbours have complained about my late-night key-bashing

<£20 (unless it wanks me off whilst typing)

If it's not too late:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...Keyboard/dp/B0152WUT06

More like a laptop, low profile keys. I love mine.

Nice one, will go for this
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 9817
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/11 18:15:47 (permalink)
Dubtitled
  • Total Posts : 6292
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/12 20:53:39 (permalink)
JUDGEDREDD
Think it's time to jump from my 60Hz monitor to a 144, any recs?

Also
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-c49hg90-49-3840x1080-va-freesync-144hz-gaming-quantum-dot-hdr-widescreen-curved-monitor-mo-234-sa.html
propanawty

Monitor that size should be at least 1400p. I have this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell-s2716dg-27-2560x1440-tn-g-sync-144hz-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html

Highly recommend, I didn't pay that though, they seem to have increased in price a lot. Don't be put off by TN panel, it's pretty close to an IPS. I use Dell U2412M IPS monitors at work so know what good colour looks like.
SmokedEggs
  • Total Posts : 2103
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/12 21:12:13 (permalink)
gonna try and get a new PC out of work soon.

Would want twin monitors, large SSD + conventional HDD.  What should I be looking at in terms of CPU, Ram, and graphics card?  I can't take the piss on the latter too much as it would be a work machine primarily - I think max GBP 200 on the graphics card realistically - can always upgrade that myself later on.

Any suggestions for specs?

Dubtitled
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/13 11:21:46 (permalink)
What work do you do on the computer? What resolution do you want to achieve for gaming?
SmokedEggs
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/13 12:22:37 (permalink)
Dubtitled
What work do you do on the computer? What resolution do you want to achieve for gaming?

Lots of processing of large batches of documents, drafting letters, formatting of documents for publication.  However much of that will be done through a remote desktop connection, so local processing power is not so relevant.

So I guess I just want something that is fast and responsive for general use with some gaming thrown in.  For resolution, I would probably want two 22" monitors running at 1080p.  I think I can just about fit them both away in my desk unit by using a collapsing swing arm mount.

NORA BATTY
  • Total Posts : 2893
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/14 11:00:24 (permalink)
Dubtitled
JUDGEDREDD
Think it's time to jump from my 60Hz monitor to a 144, any recs?

Also
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-c49hg90-49-3840x1080-va-freesync-144hz-gaming-quantum-dot-hdr-widescreen-curved-monitor-mo-234-sa.html
propanawty

Monitor that size should be at least 1400p. I have this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell-s2716dg-27-2560x1440-tn-g-sync-144hz-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html

Highly recommend, I didn't pay that though, they seem to have increased in price a lot. Don't be put off by TN panel, it's pretty close to an IPS. I use Dell U2412M IPS monitors at work so know what good colour looks like.

I've got this monitor too, definitely recommend it. I got it for around £400 here:

https://www.nrgit.biz/pro...h-cheap-gaming-monitor

WATCH AS ME RIDE RIDDIM LIKE ME DEYA PON BIKE
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 91552
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/14 12:29:11 (permalink)
SmokedEggs
Dubtitled

Lots of processing of large batches of documents, drafting letters, formatting of documents for publication.  However much of that will be done through a remote desktop connection, so local processing power is not so relevant.

So I guess I just want something that is fast and responsive for general use with some gaming thrown in.  For resolution, I would probably want two 22" monitors running at 1080p.  I think I can just about fit them both away in my desk unit by using a collapsing swing arm mount.

How about an ultra wide? A 22 inch for gaming doesn't sound great
JUDGEDREDD
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/14 13:14:30 (permalink)
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5806477

Can anyone rec me some solutions... says my pc is running shit atm, I've cleaned it and replaced the cpu thermal paste not long ago (all covered, thin)
post edited by JUDGEDREDD - 2017/11/14 13:23:16
SmokedEggs
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/14 13:45:11 (permalink)
Razor
SmokedEggs
Dubtitled

How about an ultra wide? A 22 inch for gaming doesn't sound great

nah, I want two separate screens really.  probably one in portrait the other in landscape, like I have at work.
Whagwan
  • Total Posts : 22556
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/14 15:23:06 (permalink)
JUDGEDREDD

Can anyone rec me some solutions... says my pc is running shit atm, I've cleaned it and replaced the cpu thermal paste not long ago (all covered, thin)

You have OCed your 2500k I take it?  Not obvious from that page.
frizzyd
  • Total Posts : 24742
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/14 15:43:38 (permalink)
Quick Wireless Printer advice please chaps.

Need a wireless printer / scanner for home, unlikely to be doing huge amounts of printing and not looking to spend loads on it as it is simply for school projects and a few bits and pieces for the misses and I - also don't want anything where the replacement cartridges cost a fortune.

I have found the following:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6558769

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/canon-pixma-mg5750-all-in-one-wireless-inkjet-printer-10143745-pdt.html#srcid=11026

The cartridges on the HP look pretty reasonable where as the Canon uses 5 different ones which become more expensive.

Any thoughts, advice? -  thanking you in advance....
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 19366
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/14 15:58:44 (permalink)
spend more, get a laser printer. ink lasts for ages.  

inkjets are basically subsidised so they can rip you on the ink. and the cartridges you get when you buy it are super small. it's a massive con.

i think it's HP that do something dodgy like refuse to print b&w when the colour cartridge runs out. that might be epson though.
post edited by wiseacre - 2017/11/14 16:05:22

no
Whagwan
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/14 16:17:46 (permalink)
@JudgeDredd

You basically have the same PC as me but mine blows yours out the water...  I have OCed everything though.

Handy tool though, did't realise my Boot SSD was only plugged into a SATA2 header.
post edited by Whagwan - 2017/11/14 16:34:22
frizzyd
  • Total Posts : 24742
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/14 16:20:49 (permalink)
wiseacre
spend more, get a laser printer. ink lasts for ages.  

inkjets are basically subsidised so they can rip you on the ink. and the cartridges you get when you buy it are super small. it's a massive con.

i think it's HP that do something dodgy like refuse to print b&w when the colour cartridge runs out. that might be epson though.

Cheers Bro, I'll look into that
Dubtitled
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/14 17:01:33 (permalink)
SmokedEggs
Dubtitled

SmokedEggs
Dubtitled

Well in that case I'd recommend an i5 8400, 16GB RAM and a GTX 1060 6Gb version (don't get the 3GB one)
JUDGEDREDD
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/15 00:00:08 (permalink)
Whagwan
JUDGEDREDD

You have OCed your 2500k I take it?  Not obvious from that page.

Nah, using a stock CPU cooler. I have no experience with ocing but I'm fairly competent if you've got a guide about? Can pick up a cooler for £20-30 I'm sure? Used to have a decent one but dinged it off as it was faulty. I swear components have gone up in price loads over the past 2-3 years
RAYZA
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/15 00:06:09 (permalink)
let me google that for you etc
JUDGEDREDD
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/15 01:53:24 (permalink)
Razor
let me google that for you etc

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what...heyre+the+same+as+mine
Whagwan
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/15 09:45:22 (permalink)
SmokedEggs
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/15 11:00:51 (permalink)
wiseacre

yeah I had a small colour HP laser in my office that we were only using for B/W.  When the colour toners went bad and started leaking it would not let us use just the black toner.  So we binned it.  It was cheaper to replace it with an equivalent spec brand new black and white laser machine than to replace the unwanted colour toners.  What a waste...

Dubtitled

SmokedEggs
Dubtitled

Well in that case I'd recommend an i5 8400, 16GB RAM and a GTX 1060 6Gb version (don't get the 3GB one)

Cheers Dubtitled!
gutlessrhyme
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/16 10:52:07 (permalink)
JUDGEDREDD

Just thought I'd try mine on that site
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5832895

What programs are you guys using to monitor/kill background programs and processes? Just taskmanager or something more intelligent?
Dubtitled
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/17 10:56:56 (permalink)
I would open task manager and sort by cpu usage and then google any high entries you don't recognise to see whether they're needed.
JUDGEDREDD
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/17 11:03:43 (permalink)
Dubtitled
I would open task manager and sort by cpu usage and then google any high entries you don't recognise to see whether they're needed.

+1

also check what processes are launching on boot via task manager (win10) or via msconfig (other versions) 

If you need any help PM me and we can skype xxx
RAYZA
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/17 14:39:38 (permalink)
I need to get on that benchmark website. Not sure if it's a good idea though as I will I inevitably want to improve it.
RAYZA
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/17 16:23:02 (permalink)
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5850806

not bad other than my SSD

Performing below potential (5th percentile) - Ensure that this drive is connected to a SATA 3.0 port

and RAM

Performing below potential (6th percentile) - ensure that a dual+ channel XMP BIOS profile is enabled

i don't know what that means
post edited by RAYZA - 2017/11/17 16:26:14
Traffic
  • Total Posts : 16396
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/17 20:43:30 (permalink)
JUDGEDREDD
Dubtitled

+1

also check what processes are launching on boot via task manager (win10) or via msconfig (other versions) 

If you need any help PM me and we can skype xxx

I literally OC'd my i5 2500K this week... and had similar concerns as you. Obviously, follow any guide you are comfortable with, but I found it very easy to do.

Three main things you need to consider:
Base MHz
Multiplier 
Voltage

From what I read, it is NOT recommended to change base MHz (usually around 100). Your multiplier is what you'd be playing around with, and I went from 33 to 44 (44 * 100MHz). Did a few tests, mainly with Intel Burn Test, and it ran well with a full load heat of 56 Celcius. I left the voltage to Auto, which apparently is also recommended. Doing tests on stuff like Intel Burn Test is good, however you should also test on the games you like and see if you're crashing or getting overheating issues (never let it go over the TJ  Max rating). In my case it was Forza 7 and it seemed to be running fine.

In terms of monitoring your GHz, use something like CPU-Z, as the Task Manager was giving me ranges of 4.4 to 5.8GHz, but I'm assuming that's due to the "Turbo Boost" function within the BIOS or something more "artificial" happening. CPU-Z consistently showed it running at 4.4GHz at around 38 Celcius. Definitely get a non-stock cooling system. I'm currently using a Corsair H60.
post edited by Traffic - 2017/11/17 20:45:52
Traffic
  • Total Posts : 16396
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/17 20:43:23 (permalink)
repost, sorry
gutlessrhyme
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/17 20:59:26 (permalink)
I've got an i7-6700 so you overclocking isn't an option is it? (Thought you needed the 'k' for that?)
Dubtitled
Re: PC thread. 2017/11/18 17:00:30 (permalink)
Correct.
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 30 of 31
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0