Helpful ReplyHot!Minor things that bother you v3.0

Page: << < ..821822823824825.. > >> Showing page 822 of 854
Author
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 5324
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/09 14:16:40 (permalink)

Marcus-Darkus
  • Total Posts : 13518
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/09 14:42:13 (permalink)
SW14
Marcus-Darkus
Reading the last couple of pages of this thread is depressing. After 20-years in the office industry, i'm so glad I got out. I do miss the 'office banter' but pathetic emails, highly negative, whinging jobsworths I do not.

I know what you mean. I work for a company now and I'm their only European employee, which means no one knows what the fuck or when I'm doing anything which is great. I work in a shared office and the people are alright, but it's not the same as working in a big company.

I do miss working in an 800 person media company where the banter is flying and you can just go and flirt with different groups of girls you know in different departments when you get bored.

Probably not enough to outweigh not having to set an alarm in the morning though.

I hear you. I miss the offkey chat and flirting with various women, even the ones in their 50's lol.

All the Khmer women at my workplace now are aged between 20-25, a lot of them are ridiculously buff but they are my teaching assistants or office staff. They are all obsessed with Facebook out here, and it's not unusual for one of them to ask for your facebook name and start talking with you. In the UK you'd be in there with that kind of behaviour.

The other day my assistant was bent over a desk with her ass perched up in the air, my jaw was on my desk. A student came over waving their worksheet in my face and all proud that they could now write capital 'G', took me a while to pull myself together. Not a good look.

Mad P - "On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me,
Afghani Black on a big rock the living mampi."

dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16531
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/09 15:10:15 (permalink)
At the end of the year will mark a whole year of quitting smoking. But I still get bothered about not going for a smoke. At work it’s almost like a cool club where you miss out on certain gossip or key bonds with senior people unless you smoke. At clubs or after parties. I miss just going for a smoke to have a chat and meet new people.

Being clean is lame
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 5324
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/09 16:57:29 (permalink)
well done man, that's a good achievement. fuck gossip and bonds with senior people man, you're free of a shitty addiction that'll fuck your heart and lungs. you win. 

also, why the fuck has Traktor Pro uninstalled itself from my studio computer? this bothers me because I've not used it in months and months but I absolutely 100% didn't uninstall it and it's gone wtffffffff.
Johnny Quest
  • Total Posts : 9042
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/10 15:01:34 (permalink)

I don't get how anyone lets themselves get to this state?
MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 5734
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/10 15:13:48 (permalink)
dimdum
At the end of the year will mark a whole year of quitting smoking. But I still get bothered about not going for a smoke. At work it’s almost like a cool club where you miss out on certain gossip or key bonds with senior people unless you smoke. At clubs or after parties. I miss just going for a smoke to have a chat and meet new people.

Being clean is lame

I always go for smokes on my own when at pubs/bars just to get away and meet new people.
frizzyd
  • Total Posts : 24889
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/11 10:02:56 (permalink)
Rudiger01
The way Fireman Sam shows never show the nitty gritty realism a fireman has to go through. You never see him sobbing over a childs charred corpse do you?

And the fact he carries out the work of the Police too - Tory Britain

To be fair if that little ginger shit Norman was culled, he'd have a much easier life - Broken Britain
Bare Grills
  • Total Posts : 1059
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/11 20:19:48 (permalink)
Thought I would be able to simply get back into mixing to a good standard after several years away from it... How wrong I was. Just picked up a Pioneer CDJ set up and made a right fucking racket all afternoon. I'm blaming it on the move from vinyl to CD but my expectations did not reflect reality, I won't be recording any sets in the near future that's for sure!
Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/11 20:27:16 (permalink)
Bare Grills
Thought I would be able to simply get back into mixing to a good standard after several years away from it... How wrong I was. Just picked up a Pioneer CDJ set up and made a right fucking racket all afternoon. I'm blaming it on the move from vinyl to CD but my expectations did not reflect reality, I won't be recording any sets in the near future that's for sure!

I could never transfer my skills. I was boss on my shitty belt drives but could never do it on technics or CDJ's
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 22314
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/11 20:34:18 (permalink)
I've only used CDJs a handful of times. I just about managed to scrape by but it wasn't enjoyable and took me back a few years in terms of my superstar dj skills. I now avoid CDJs.
Bare Grills
  • Total Posts : 1059
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/11 20:58:57 (permalink)
I used to be alright using a CDJ as a third deck alongside 2 SL1200s but they just don't feel right on their own. The pitch sliders don't have enough resistance so riding the pitch is more difficult and I never appreciated the visual markers on a vinyl until today. Do people just memorise tune structures or is there some way I can see the waveform on a screen? (CDJ1000) Its definitely harder to drop a tune at the perfect point without seeing the structure in advance.

I can see my track lists getting predictable in the future too, just skipping to next track on whatever CD is in the deck at the time. It doesn't have the magic of digging around in the crates and finding that tune you forgot you had.
Will Mac
  • Total Posts : 15203
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/11 21:10:04 (permalink)
Only the more modern decks (CDJ2000'S etc) show the waveform on the screen so you have to set your cue points to 16 or 32 bar intros and remember which tunes are which. I used to really like my Cdj 800's, but I swapped them for a set of 400's for the USB capability and they were soulless to play on. And navigating through your tunes was so slow. Sold them for SL3 and I'll never ever go back
gutlessrhyme
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/11 21:38:40 (permalink)
Digging through a crate of vinyl will.never be beaten. Having 100GB of tunes on your hard drive has it's benefits but it's just not the same
Jonesy.
  • Total Posts : 8004
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/11 23:40:01 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme
Digging through a crate of vinyl will.never be beaten. Having 100GB of tunes on your hard drive has it's benefits but it's just not the same

Absolutely this.

I've sacked off Traktor and CDJs. Just gone back to vinyl only. Its so much more enjoyable, and mixing is satisfying.

With CDJs / Traktor it gets so boring. It's too easy, it basically mixes for you. Then there's setting up cue points and stuff. It really defeats the whole point of mixing.

SW14
  • Total Posts : 10198
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/11 23:52:06 (permalink)
Yeah it's a piece of piss. I sound like Andy C on CDJ's and Serato and was never the best at mixing on vinyl.

Chuck in 0.6 on the pitch being 1 BPM
and you can have a tune locked before you even drop it in with multiple cue points at the ready.
Booberella
  • Total Posts : 12454
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 00:45:51 (permalink)
OEM
I'm at an engineering company currently and there are women in my office. One of them is 51, been there 21 years. She told me that her daughter loves Jamaican boys and used to date them (get slammed). However, she was ever so slightly disappointed when the daughter had a baby and it was white, as she loves brown babies. She told me brown babies are the cutest thing ever and can't help but pinch their cheeks whenever she sees one.

It's not often I'm left speechless, that one stunned me to fuck bro.

I used to work in a shitty office of about 25 in a shitty part of Essex and had to explain to a middle-aged woman who saw a pic of my white mum in my purse that I was mixed race who then spent the next 5 minutes in wonder as she "didn't know you could get different shades". 

gutlessrhyme
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 00:48:37 (permalink)
"oh half caste"
MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 5734
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 01:13:49 (permalink)
"Excuse me standing on one leg" Fuck that brings back some memories
Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 11506
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 01:57:43 (permalink)
Yeah I find vinyl mixing way more of a challenge ie, I am mostly shit at it nowadays. CDJ's are never wobble or anything so it feels much easier I never seem to be able to trust my ears with records. Even serato wobbles in and out a fair bit so I'm always fucking about with the platter. Been getting back into purely vinyl mixing, mostly whilst drunk, it's just more satisfying.
Whitey
  • Total Posts : 9504
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 02:46:42 (permalink)

CTRL + ALT + WHITEY
Whitey
  • Total Posts : 9504
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 02:51:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noc 2017/12/12 04:55:08
Massive respect to the pork pie making its escape.

CTRL + ALT + WHITEY
Johnny Quest
  • Total Posts : 9042
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 02:56:53 (permalink)

S8
  • Total Posts : 18853
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 10:00:23 (permalink)
Rudiger01

I could never transfer my skills. I was boss on my shitty belt drives but could never do it on technics or CDJ's

Everything this. The tactile nature of vinyl is lost to CDs
Law
  • Total Posts : 63426
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 10:08:35 (permalink)
metzie
 I used to work in a shitty office of about 25 in a shitty part of Essex and had to explain to a middle-aged woman who saw a pic of my white mum in my purse that I was mixed race who then spent the next 5 minutes in wonder as she "didn't know you could get different shades". 

I despair. Unreal.
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 10:22:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby S8 2017/12/12 12:31:33
gutlessrhyme

Fully agree. It's been said ad infinitum, but it's always worth reminding yourself and the world that vinyl mixing is by far the most satisfying. 

0-AID
  • Total Posts : 9596
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 10:23:41 (permalink)
sectionate
Rudiger01

Everything this. The tactile nature of vinyl is lost to CDs

You guys lol just put them in 'Vinyl' mode and boom, they become more or less like a turntable. You can even pitch chase on them!

Everyone on the planet has become super tight due to the digital world but you guys are saying otherwise, I despair.

DJModus
gutlessrhyme

Fully agree. It's been said ad infinitum, but it's always worth reminding yourself and the world that vinyl mixing is by far the most satisfying. 

Someone is missing the irony here.
post edited by 0-AID - 2017/12/12 10:25:11

"I don't rap for dead presidents, I'd rather see the president dead, It's never been said, But I set precedents and the standards, and they can't stand it.."
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 27305
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 10:24:39 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme

You can still get the same levels of panic though when you DJ yourself into a corner and can't figure out what track to play next, either because your records are finite and you haven't got something, or because you've got a USB with EVERYTHING on it, and spent 4 minutes scrolling through overly critiquing what would mix best. It's a skill, that.
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 10:32:02 (permalink)
^ Gotta be like a snooker player thinking several shots ahead. I usually get that panic when I'm djing pissed and enjoying the track currently playing rather than thinking about the next tune. 

Also @ 0-AID, definitely not missing the irony. I know how ridiculous being a vinyl purist appears in the face of obvious technological progress... hence posting that pic. 

wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 19587
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 10:43:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 0-AID 2017/12/12 10:58:29
best of both worlds with traktor and a Z2

no
0-AID
  • Total Posts : 9596
Re: RE: Minor things that bother you v3.0 2017/12/12 10:59:05 (permalink)
DJModus
Also @ 0-AID, definitely not missing the irony. I know how ridiculous being a vinyl purist appears in the face of obvious technological progress... hence posting that pic. 

That shut me up.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I still unplug Traktor and just go in with the records. The whole vinyl vs technology debate that still exists on this place does crack me up though.

"I don't rap for dead presidents, I'd rather see the president dead, It's never been said, But I set precedents and the standards, and they can't stand it.."
Page: << < ..821822823824825.. > >> Showing page 822 of 854
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0