AnsweredHot![FAQ]FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION

Page: << < ..986987988989990.. > >> Showing page 989 of 1177
Author
Noc
  • Total Posts : 19410
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 07:13:17 (permalink)
Law
Domino
I remember being shot down on here in 2006 when I presented the fact that he was a gutless, sprinter with no brain. 

Likewise. I remember Noc going after me quite a lot of using the "no football brain" chestnut. It's fucking true though.

Theo Walcott is never going to win a Ballon d’Or but I stand by the fact that the whole “no football brain” thing is lazy tabloid/Talksport journalism that was coined by Andy Townsend or some other no-mark pundit and stuck with him because it fits an easy narrative.

The guy gets derided as a “shit Aaron Lennon”. Lennon scored 26 goals in 266 appearances for Spurs. Theo got 3 times that rate of return despite never really nailing down a first team place. Compare his numbers to Lennon/Townsend/Zaha etc and then wonder why they don't get slated for their football brains.

What other English winger has consistently scored 10-20 goals a season or bagged hat tricks for England in the current generation? He scored 19 last season off the bench ffs.

Don’t get me wrong, he will definitely go down in history as textbook example of untapped potential but he is objectively not a shit footballer. It’s a combination of him never living up to the ridiculous World Cup 2006 hype, taking Henry’s 14 shirt and being a bit of a Le Saux style melt that has contributed to him being the butt of 1000 lazy jokes.

He would walk into every premier league team outside the top 6 and is pretty much nailed on to smash it at an Everton level club. He needs a move soon though because as soon as the pace is gone he really will be as shit as people think he is.

tl;dr: Noc goes into bat for Theo like SW14 on a pureo fuelled Andy C bumathon.
post edited by Noc - 2018/01/14 07:42:49
Majik
  • Total Posts : 41609
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 08:42:09 (permalink)
Razor
thought we played pretty well up until about 70 minutes then we decided to just sit deep and hang onto the lead which seemed unnecessary. Grealish impressed me today, looked like a Premier League player. We should play better football with the players we have but i doubt that will ever happen with Bruce in charge. Forest were pretty awful though, when the stat popped on screen that we've not lost after going 1-0 up and Forest haven't won after going 1-0 down the game seemed pretty much over lol.

Yeah we were pretty wank, the Arsenal match was definitely the exception this season.

Just don’t see the need for Snodgrass or Grealish (who I really, really hate) to dive all over the shop after 30 odd minutes. They’re decent enough players without needing to resort to that.

Tell you what though JT is a proper captain, we lack that kind of leadership, and Chester is really good.

mouse oxford
  • Total Posts : 2214
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 10:45:56 (permalink)
Noc
Law
Domino
I remember being shot down on here in 2006 when I presented the fact that he was a gutless, sprinter with no brain. 

Likewise. I remember Noc going after me quite a lot of using the "no football brain" chestnut. It's fucking true though.

Theo Walcott is never going to win a Ballon d’Or but I stand by the fact that the whole “no football brain” thing is lazy tabloid/Talksport journalism that was coined by Andy Townsend or some other no-mark pundit and stuck with him because it fits an easy narrative.

The guy gets derided as a “shit Aaron Lennon”. Lennon scored 26 goals in 266 appearances for Spurs. Theo got 3 times that rate of return despite never really nailing down a first team place. Compare his numbers to Lennon/Townsend/Zaha etc and then wonder why they don't get slated for their football brains.

What other English winger has consistently scored 10-20 goals a season or bagged hat tricks for England in the current generation? He scored 19 last season off the bench ffs.

Don’t get me wrong, he will definitely go down in history as textbook example of untapped potential but he is objectively not a shit footballer. It’s a combination of him never living up to the ridiculous World Cup 2006 hype, taking Henry’s 14 shirt and being a bit of a Le Saux style melt that has contributed to him being the butt of 1000 lazy jokes.

He would walk into every premier league team outside the top 6 and is pretty much nailed on to smash it at an Everton level club. He needs a move soon though because as soon as the pace is gone he really will be as shit as people think he is.

tl;dr: Noc goes into bat for Theo like SW14 on a pureo fuelled Andy C bumathon.

The only people that have ever called Wallcot a "shit Aaron Lennon" are spurs fans on a wind up. He clearly is / was a better footballer than Lennon or Townsend but that's not exactly hard, no one credited either with having a "football brain" plus being English clearly doesn't help with the overrated thing. Zaha is young and has the same "bags of potential" so time will tell.

Wallcots issue has been a complete lack of consistency and a typical Arsenal injury record. That and the whole "I should be playing up front" thing. Didn't endear him to anyone.
post edited by mouse - 2018/01/14 10:47:35
Noc
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 11:02:32 (permalink)
It's more the fact that "this kid can only run fast, he obviously doesn't understand the intricacies of football" narrative the winds me up.

If you're a nippy winger, you're going to lose the ball more often than other players, your mistakes are going to be highlighted every time you try a cross or shot that doesn't come off.

It's just weird that he gets caned for having "no football brain" every time he fucks up whereas the likes of Zaha/Townsend it's accepted that they're risk/reward players who will pull something off if you give them the ball enough. Theo is far more productive than those guys but gets zero credit for it.
mouse oxford
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 11:26:52 (permalink)
Noc
It's more the fact that "this kid can only run fast, he obviously doesn't understand the intricacies of football" narrative the winds me up.

If you're a nippy winger, you're going to lose the ball more often than other players, your mistakes are going to be highlighted every time you try a cross or shot that doesn't come off.

It's just weird that he gets caned for having "no football brain" every time he fucks up whereas the likes of Zaha/Townsend it's accepted that they're risk/reward players who will pull something off if you give them the ball enough. Theo is far more productive than those guys but gets zero credit for it.

I think you're giving Townsend far too much credit tbh. The fans who watch him every week know how much of a one dimensional, spoon it into row z player he is. Rode those two good games for England for a spell, but not very special.

Maybe Walcott gets more shit because he's just not very likable?
Noc
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 11:50:54 (permalink)
mouse
I think you're giving Townsend far too much credit tbh. The fans who watch him every week know how much of a one dimensional, spoon it into row z player he is. Rode those two good games for England for a spell, but not very special.

That's exactly my point though. Nobody pulls him up on his "football brain" he's just accepted as a fairly limited player who will pull off a moment of magic every now and then.

For some reason Walcott is held to a much higher standard and ripped to shreds every time he fails to reach it. If he didn't have the "wonderkid" tag on his shoulders since 06 he would be smashing it. The fact he's such a moist boy means he's not equipped to deal with the pressure.

Can you imagine what Spain or Germany would have done with a player like him? He would've won the lot.
Nazoreth
  • Total Posts : 1438
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 13:32:09 (permalink)
Majik

Just don’t see the need for Snodgrass or Grealish (who I really, really hate) to dive all over the shop after 30 odd minutes. They’re decent enough players without needing to resort to that.

Don't fully agree with the diving. Grealish seems to make every one around him really angry and has always drawn fouls. He makes a bit of a meal of them but they're fouls none the less

I think it's part hair cut, part attitude, part socks. People just want to hit him
Law
  • Total Posts : 64226
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 13:40:06 (permalink)
I've said Townsend is thick as shit on the ball since he started getting games at Spurs He's dumber than Walcott even. I was delighted when he left.

It's not a difficult concept to understand. Some players have greater vision, awareness, positioning, creativity etc
.. you know, the important mental attributes a very good footballer must have. "Footballing brain" is just a buzzword that refers to those attributes. You just don't like the word, and you were defending an Arsenal player. Thats all there is to it really isn't it?

Rooney defines footballing intelligence imo. He seems pretty thick as a person but when he plays football he's quicker than most. Walcott seems fairly intelligent for a footballer but he just doesn't apply that to his game the way Rooney does / did.
Law
  • Total Posts : 64226
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 13:43:42 (permalink)
Noc

Can you imagine what Spain or Germany would have done with a player like him? He would've won the lot.

Lol massively disagree. He's no where near naturally technical enough to play and win for Spain or Germany.

Plenty of players that does ring true for though. Hoddle, Scholes, Le Tissier....Wilshere.
Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 3472
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 14:55:34 (permalink)
Law
Rooney defines footballing intelligence imo. He seems pretty thick as a person but when he plays football he's quicker than most. Walcott seems fairly intelligent for a footballer but he just doesn't apply that to his game the way Rooney does / did.

If I didnt boil with rage everytime he appeared for us, I would feel sorry for him. You can almost see his mind working twice as quick as everyone else and probably his own body. His own body lets him down more than anythng. It cant keep up with his own brain
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8515
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 15:39:43 (permalink)
No mention of the Moyevolution ?

Seems to be doing adorably well. 
Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 3472
mouse oxford
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 15:46:18 (permalink)
Either way Walcott would probably get more respect if he wasn't an annoying little scrote.

Oh and Arselol.

You would expect Wenger to go gung ho for the Europa now. Best chance of getting CL next year surely?
post edited by mouse - 2018/01/14 15:49:51
Arcadian
  • Total Posts : 1667
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 15:49:52 (permalink)
Law
Noc

Lol massively disagree. He's no where near naturally technical enough to play and win for Spain or Germany.

Plenty of players that does ring true for though. Hoddle, Scholes, Le Tissier....Wilshere.

how are you still rating/defending Walcott lol. in spain they would have laughed at him and said maybe in England

forget about spain/Germany anyway. if he had any chance, wenger/arsenal scuppered it at every turn for 12 years but you still want to debate it. hes been synonymous with arsenals decline in that time
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11049
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 15:55:51 (permalink)
Who was creaming themselves about Arsenal finally being above Spurs?

Dare I say it but Wengweng has become quite adorable these past few years 
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 30883
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 16:03:23 (permalink)
Even as an arsenal fan, you’ve just got to enjoy how awful we are atm.

SW14
  • Total Posts : 12377
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 16:21:47 (permalink)
Great game this Liverpool city game.
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
  • Total Posts : 21416
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 16:36:01 (permalink)
Arcadian
Law
Noc

how are you still rating/defending Walcott lol. in spain they would have laughed at him and said maybe in England

They would have laughed at him and pointed towards the running track
spils
  • Total Posts : 15083
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 16:51:34 (permalink)
In Spain he'd be waiting on tables the sack of shit.

Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8515
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 17:01:10 (permalink)
spils
In Spain he'd be waiting on tables the sack of shit.

lol
Will Mac
  • Total Posts : 15701
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 17:02:06 (permalink)
SW14
Great game this Liverpool city game.

I am a bag of nerves watching this lol. It's too much. I dont think I can cope with the second half
SW14
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 17:07:17 (permalink)
End to end innit. Fair play to Klopp for having a go at them and getting in their faces, let’s see if they can sustain it.

Amazed that Liverpool haven’t found a better keeper in all this time, Mignolet was letting in howlers at the beginning of Rodgers reign.

Even Butland went for about 6 million.
post edited by SW14 - 2018/01/14 17:08:25
Arcadian
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 17:20:38 (permalink)
wow pool all over them
SW14
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 17:22:44 (permalink)
2 goals and hit the post in 3 separate moves in 3 minutes.

No way this game is over either.
Will Mac
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 17:28:56 (permalink)
Arcadian
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 17:29:59 (permalink)
the Liverpool front 3 are incredible. they can handle the Coutinho loss, he's not Suarez.
its beggars belief they have such shit keepers undoing their work still
M.F.
  • Total Posts : 6304
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 17:51:57 (permalink)
As much as I hate City, I’d much rather see them come back and spunk a Liverpool 4 goal lead. So much butt hurt

Johnny Quest
  • Total Posts : 9220
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 17:55:30 (permalink)
Now that's what I call football.
Will Mac
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 17:56:38 (permalink)
MF182
As much as I hate City, I’d much rather see them come back and spunk a Liverpool 4 goal lead. So much butt hurt

Didn't happen though did it my pal. Those tricky scouse cunts keep ploughing on. What a game.
Majik
  • Total Posts : 41609
Re: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2018/01/14 18:51:19 (permalink)
Nazoreth
Don't fully agree with the diving. Grealish seems to make every one around him really angry and has always drawn fouls. He makes a bit of a meal of them but they're fouls none the less

I think it's part hair cut, part attitude, part socks. People just want to hit him

Snodgrass went over so easily, I thought he was supposed to be a tough Jock?

Most Villa fans I spoke to think that Grealish is a prick, despite playing for you! Definitely the look/attitude. Thought it was compulsory to have your socks pulled up?

Page: << < ..986987988989990.. > >> Showing page 989 of 1177
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0