AnsweredHot![FAQ]FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION

Page: << < ..826827828829830.. > >> Showing page 828 of 836
Author
Travs
  • Total Posts : 227
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 10:14:35 (permalink)
Exactly. Yes the Fench league isn't fantastic in depth, but why is that? I'd say it's because all the money gets pumped into the Premier League and Spanish League, and to a lesser extent, the German League.

The strength in depth in the premier league is piss poor. Your average to lower Italian team would destroy an equivalent English team. And the suggestion that the German league is a 'joke' is ridiculous, it is probably the strongest in depth league there is, along with Italy.

There re-shuffle of Eruopean competition has absolutely fucked European football. Used to have the European cup which was for the winners, and was the top competition, the. There was the arguably more difficult UEFA cup which was a fantastic competition, then the cup winners cup which was a bit more unpredictable in terms of who would come through.

What now, a glorified European super league. Europa league has become a joke, although more highly regarded elsewhere in Europe than over here. Why are champions of reasonable footballing nations like Croatia, Serbia, Czech Republic, Scandinavian sides, having to play multiple qualifiers to get to the first round proper of the CHAMPIONS league, and English, Spanish, German, Italian sides are getting a passport straight through.

Fair play to Leicester, not only have they upset the apple cart a bit, but also proved to UEFA that the Champions League will always be just a cup competition, despite their motives.
dreamworld
  • Total Posts : 3696
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 10:29:41 (permalink)
What would people say is a better league than ours then, Spain? I'm not suggesting you're wrong I'm just interested.

Agreed Travs the German league isn't a joke and we could learn a few things from them, but it's still very predictable when it comes to who wins it. That's not my idea of a good league personally.
MalcolmTucker
  • Total Posts : 914
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 10:36:38 (permalink)
Law
MalcolmTucker
Everyone always says this but if you compare the tables that isn't the case. Chelsea have been the champions elect for almost half the season.

Chelsea - 75pts after 32 games

I dont think this means much. Some of the worst teams in La Liga are still better than our worst teams.
The difference is that in La Liga the best teams are MILES better than the worst teams.

In the prem, Sunderland can turn over Man City, as the gulf in class isnt quite the same ^ (still massive obviously).

Well that would reflect in the points total - Barcelona have been beaten by Deportivo and Malaga both of whom are just above relegation places. I think people forget that goal difference means nothing in La Liga, a 1-0 and a 5-0 loss are exactly the same, so when they see Real or Barca winning by 5-0 margins they assume the league is weak.

I do agree that the Prem is a bit more unpredictable, especially in the last 2 or 3 years but it's a fallacy that other leagues aren't.
Law
  • Total Posts : 61808
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 11:06:01 (permalink)
The proof in top end clubs in England vs Europe is evident this season. Just look at how English teams have been decimated.

Spurs, along with Chelsea, are the best team in England currently, booted out the CL and turned over by Gent ffs.

City had how many goals put past them by Monaco?

Utd just about managed a 1-1 with Anderlecht in the Europa league.

Our current champions elect aren't even in Europe.

Like in internationals, English football has stagnated whilst "lesser" leagues have kicked on.
dreamworld
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 11:15:48 (permalink)
Was thinking about Spurs in relation to those other clubs you mentioned last night actually. I would say they are roughly the same level as a team (not that I’ve watched those others a lot). You were very Spursy in the CL this year but I don’t think that was a fair reflection on you as a team, you just bottled it this year which happens. I hope next year you will have a much better campaign depending on how you cope with playing at Wembley.
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 6116
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 11:59:09 (permalink)
generally the standard of the premier league has dropped dramatically in the last five years. our progress in the CL reflects that. 

last year for example, only leicester were remotely consistent and at times really impressive. this year, apart from chelsea and spurs, it's been pretty poor again. and the so-called 'big' matches tend to be very disappointing.

i think an on-form chelsea would've got to QFs/maybe SFs though

Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 10346
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 13:18:27 (permalink)
Fucking LOL Kolo Toure
https://streamable.com/c9tvm
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 88768
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 13:49:04 (permalink)

SW14
  • Total Posts : 7921
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 15:37:53 (permalink)
dreamworld
Was thinking about Spurs in relation to those other clubs you mentioned last night actually. I would say they are roughly the same level as a team (not that I’ve watched those others a lot). You were very Spursy in the CL this year but I don’t think that was a fair reflection on you as a team, you just bottled it this year which happens. I hope next year you will have a much better campaign depending on how you cope with playing at Wembley.

Why would you hope Spurs have a good campaign? Fuck Spurs, hope they lose every game and go out in the group.
dreamworld
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 15:47:45 (permalink)
I've got a few long suffering Tottenham mates, doesn't bother me them having a bit of success they all had they decency to congratulate me when we won it.

My hatred for other teams has all but disappeared now, I enjoy the wind ups but we've won more than I ever dreamed we would, I can watch other English teams do well and not be bitter about it. I know I should hate them by default but I don't care really.
dreamworld
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 15:53:39 (permalink)
Obviously this view would probably change pretty drastically if they snatch the league off us lol.
SW14
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 15:53:46 (permalink)
I would be physically sick if Spurs won the league this year.
dreamworld
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 16:04:05 (permalink)
Yeah that would be fucking horrific tbf. They've still got United and Arsenal though and if they do find a way through those two and catch us I'm not sure how well they'd cope with the pressure.
Law
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 16:05:27 (permalink)
Imaging Spurs winning the double. I would instantly atomise. 
b2b Arsenal finishing outside top 4.
RAYZA
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 16:07:14 (permalink)
Law
Imaging Spurs winning the double. 

And then you woke up
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 18588
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 16:07:41 (permalink)
no chance, chelsea only have to play mid table teams with nothing to play for and the by then as good as relegated middlesboro and sunderland. i can't see any of them causing any problems, maybe everton. WBA and watford just roll over once they're confirmed up.

spurs have arsenal and man utd, palace who turned you over, and a tasty trip to west ham who occasionally catch spurs out. and hull on the last day who may need to win it to stay up.

no
Law
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 16:07:58 (permalink)
PFA team of the year

Not bad, but I cant see how both Chelsea centrebacks have made it? Cahill has been crap. Luiz probably deserves it, he's been vital. No Alderweireld is a joke.

Could argue Sanchez for Mane, but not that fussed. Over than that, it's about right.
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 18588
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 16:12:08 (permalink)
don't they make the selection in february? he'd been out for a fair part of the season at that point. wikipedia tells me he's played 23 premier league matches this season & he hasn't missed (m)any in the last couple of months. 

no
RAYZA
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 16:12:16 (permalink)
Cahill crap? Bit harsh lol. He'd get in to most teams in the league.
Law
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 16:23:03 (permalink)
Maybe a bit harsh, but let's be honest, he's cack compared to Alderweireld 
SW14
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 16:33:44 (permalink)
Azpiliceuta is a far, far superior defender to Cahill. I'd put him up there with the very best in the league.
dreamworld
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 16:49:53 (permalink)
I agree and was going to say the same but I presume it's because he's not a central defender. Played every minute this season I believe, such a brilliant player for us.

Cahill isn't crap but he's had his fair share of mistakes this season, surprised to see him in there.
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 6116
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 16:58:22 (permalink)
love Azpiliceuta

Alderweireld's stats are just ridiculous - http://i.imgur.com/QGHUNlV.jpg - gives away so few fouls and rarely ever gets carded either
SW14
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 17:08:59 (permalink)
dreamworld
I agree and was going to say the same but I presume it's because he's not a central defender. Played every minute this season I believe, such a brilliant player for us.

Cahill isn't crap but he's had his fair share of mistakes this season, surprised to see him in there.

He's played as one of the 3 central defenders. He has played as centrally as Cahill. Most passes of any defender in the league and I'd say the best 1 v 1 defender.

Only thing I'd put Cahill ahead of him is in the air.
dreamworld
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 17:29:30 (permalink)
Yeah true. I'm not sure how these things are worked out, does it need to accurately reflect their position? We're a million miles away from a 4-4-2 this season. 
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 8891
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 20:07:41 (permalink)
gavinx
love Azpiliceuta

Alderweireld's stats are just ridiculous - http://i.imgur.com/QGHUNlV.jpg - gives away so few fouls and rarely ever gets carded either

He's solid, one of the best buys in years. I think some of the bigger names would be interested in coming to spurs these days over the usual suspects. I'm not sure who would be replaced though?
Willfunk
  • Total Posts : 14394
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 20:45:12 (permalink)
Camera just panned to Mourinho and my missus asked if it was Phillip Schofield.

Stupid fucking cow
Willfunk
  • Total Posts : 14394
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 21:20:41 (permalink)
Typical united. Fuck off
SW14
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 21:26:50 (permalink)
Hoofed into Fellaini for the second ball.
DJaySwitch
  • Total Posts : 7243
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2017/04/20 21:28:04 (permalink)
Rashford is sick really isnt he

www.myspace.com/urbanchaosdrumandbass
Page: << < ..826827828829830.. > >> Showing page 828 of 836
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0