AnsweredHot![FAQ]FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION

Page: << < ..12611262126312641265.. > >> Showing page 1263 of 1269
Author
James OD
  • Total Posts : 12309
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 20:51:31 (permalink)
The linesman is instructed to flag if it’s close (stupid rule).

I honestly think that without VAR the outcome would of been the same.

RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 97486
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 21:01:19 (permalink)
James OD
Has anyone got a link to the spurs game?

Reddit soccer streams for every sporting event without fail, I thought everyone knew about this now
LHC
  • Total Posts : 8038
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 21:06:03 (permalink)
"False 9" is such a shit system.
SW14
  • Total Posts : 13950
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 21:28:01 (permalink)
James OD
The linesman is instructed to flag if it’s close (stupid rule).

I honestly think that without VAR the outcome would of been the same.

I thought the linesman was instructed to keep his flag down for marginal decisions for that exact reason. If you see a flag up you stop playing.
Arcadian
  • Total Posts : 1889
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 21:59:55 (permalink)
no you don't. you play to the refs whistle 
James OD
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 22:04:19 (permalink)
That’s what I thought. The Lino can pretty much flag when he wants and it now means fuck all (for offsides)

James OD
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 22:07:38 (permalink)
Arcadian

That’s always been the case but the linesman has less clout with VAR

SW14
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 22:17:44 (permalink)
The linesman had his flag up for offside and the angle used for VAR wasn’t even close to being aligned. That was pathetic. To overturn an on field decision has to be overwhelming evidence, which to me the offside wasn’t.

Once the linesman starts flagging, VAR shouldn’t be able to overrule that because it affects the match. Marginal decisions and the flag has to stay down and they can have a look at it the other way.
Arcadian
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 22:19:45 (permalink)
James OD
Arcadian

That’s always been the case but the linesman has less clout with VAR

that's kind of the point. minimise human error. this is a good example of it working.

the players are taught as kids to play to the whistle so im not having that at all. I don't know what they were complaining about after the review was made. 'but the flag was up! I stopped' 'I didn't stop the game' 'but the flag was up' 'it was onside' 'but the flag was up'
SW14
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 22:22:41 (permalink)
And just so you know I’m not exclusively bitter about that decision, from 18 months ago:

This VAR thing looks like it's on the rocks already.

I'm all for technology for simple, instant things like goal-line tech but I'm not sure about this at all.

What happens if a linesman flags but the striker is through on goal? Does everyone just keep playing pending referral?

It’s a ridiculous situation.

Looks clearly offside to me, but then the VAR man only had a shit camera angle.
post edited by SW14 - 2019/01/08 22:36:03
James OD
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 22:38:02 (permalink)
SW14
The linesman had his flag up for offside and the angle used for VAR wasn’t even close to being aligned. That was pathetic. To overturn an on field decision has to be overwhelming evidence, which to me the offside wasn’t.

Once the linesman starts flagging, VAR shouldn’t be able to overrule that because it affects the match. Marginal decisions and the flag has to stay down and they can have a look at it the other way.

As far as I understand and I may well be wrong but I can’t be be fucked to google it.

The introduction of VAR requires linesman to flag regardless, as in if they have a second of doubt - flag it! The ref will then ignore it and use VAR if needed. A bit gay but as Arcadian said. You should only play by the refs whistle anyway.

It should be good but will take getting used to
post edited by James OD - 2019/01/08 22:39:58

mouse oxford
  • Total Posts : 2383
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 22:38:02 (permalink)
There was literally no time between the incidents anyway. We'd all take it.

Football without controversy would be fucking dry tbh.
Arcadian
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 22:44:18 (permalink)
Looked onside on sky. benefit of doubt still goes to the attacker too.

the problem this season is using it solely in a cup. its a different rule set for the players to have to adjust to (flag is just a recommendation) from the league (a flag means offside).

and to answer your question, you play till the ball is dead at which point the offside will be reviewed if an advantage was gained.
SW14
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 22:45:37 (permalink)
What’s the point of having some high tech system when they can’t even get an aligned camera for offsides?

There’s no way they could just overrule that from that angle. It undermines the linesman, it looks like the wrong decision and gifted Spurs a goal that they barely deserved.

Have it at a useable level or don’t bother at all.
SW14
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 22:46:37 (permalink)
Arcadian

the problem this season is using it solely in a cup. its a different rule set for the players to have to adjust to (flag is just a recommendation) from the league (a flag means offside).

and to answer your question, you play till the ball is dead at which point the offside will be reviewed if an advantage was gained.

Sky had an angle that wasn’t even close to being in line. The benefit of the doubt should go to the decision on the field - offside.
Arcadian
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 22:53:07 (permalink)
SW14
Arcadian

Sky had an angle that wasn’t even close to being in line. The benefit of the doubt should go to the decision on the field - offside.

whats the actual rule is it any part of the body? as his feet are in line so technically he's stood in an onside position just he's leaning off. to me that's a perfectly timed run.

the decision on the field should have given him benefit of the doubt though lol
James OD
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 23:29:50 (permalink)
The angle you posted SW14 wasn’t the difinite desition maker though. That was one view and the incorrect view.

It would of stood had VAR not been in operation. VAR only compounded it.
post edited by James OD - 2019/01/08 23:31:37

SW14
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 23:35:51 (permalink)
James OD
The angle you posted SW14 wasn’t the difinite desition maker though. That was one view and the incorrect view.

The “definite decision maker” wasn’t in line or even close. The bare minimum you need to overturn an offside call is to be looking along the line.
Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1741
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 23:44:47 (permalink)
Payback for the Gomes fumble that didn’t go over the line but was given! VAR is shit and will ruin football.
James OD
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/08 23:46:22 (permalink)
But VAR ruled it to be onside! Also, given the pace of the game i believe it still would of stood 🥴

James OD
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/09 00:58:08 (permalink)
SW14
James OD

The “definite decision maker” wasn’t in line or even close. The bare minimum you need to overturn an offside call is to be looking along the line.

Not whilst VAR is in action. That’s my point.

The rules are ‘a changing pal

SW14
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/09 01:45:34 (permalink)
The “definitive decision maker” was shit because Sky didn’t have a good angle to make a proper offside decision. I find it incredible that in this day and age they don’t have some 360 tech like they have in La Liga that can zoom around to any angle and get it right.

The technology is only as good as the picture they are fed from the broadcaster, which in this case wasn’t good enough to make a decision to overrule the decision the linesman had made.

In future if the linesman puts his flag up, that shouldn’t be reviewable. Keep the flag down and then look at it. If in doubt, stick with the on field decision (as they did in the World Cup).

https://twitter.com/skyfootball/status/1082778075190972416?s=21

His head is half a yard offside. He couldn’t see that from his shit angle and unfortunately a div with a bank of screens is still a div.
post edited by SW14 - 2019/01/09 01:48:36
Noc
  • Total Posts : 19771
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/09 09:05:09 (permalink)

This really is peak Spurs. Bottling the perfect opportunity to kick off a new era in style by smashing your out-of-form arch rivals and instead choosing to postpone the (already heavily delayed) stadium opening by another two weeks because Arsenal are too scary.

The only thing that will top it is if they go and lose to Palace two weeks later anyway.
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20934
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/09 09:42:10 (permalink)
lol, says who?

literally millions of quid involved in a 2 week delay but of course it's all down to being afraid of arsenal.

no
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 31279
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/09 09:46:40 (permalink)
I think that quote is bollocks for the record, but 'millions of quid' in football is about 5p to us.

wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20934
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/09 09:53:02 (permalink)
levy tho

edit, also quote is from the daily mail
post edited by wiseacre - 2019/01/09 09:54:36

no
Jimmy2Shoes
  • Total Posts : 6115
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/09 09:55:52 (permalink)
The first game at White Hart Lane could still be against Watford as they haven't announced where it's to be played yet. 

It's 3 weeks away and still no decision ffs.

mouse
dreamworld
Why did they have VAR at the United game but not at Chelsea? They won a penalty on the replay and we should have had one but the ref missed it, that could have cost the game.

Should have it for every game in a comp or not at all, but some stadiums don't have the facilities. Think how many extra officials they will need. 

Burnley had a penalty ruled out as the taker was about to start his run up lol.

You're right, it should be in every game or not at all. 

Back in September we would have had VAR in place playing against Spurs in the league cup but the game was moved to Milton Keynes, who do not have the facilities. Pretty sure we had a decision go against us that night that VAR could have cleared up.
SW14
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/09 10:05:36 (permalink)
I don’t think it’s the extra officials, it’s having all the camera angles. Even a SKY game at Wembley couldn’t produce an angle even close to being in line for offside for a vital call. They need shitloads of cameras everywhere for it to work properly.
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11909
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/09 10:13:40 (permalink)
Noc

This really is peak Spurs. Bottling the perfect opportunity to kick off a new era in style by smashing your out-of-form arch rivals and instead choosing to postpone the (already heavily delayed) stadium opening by another two weeks because Arsenal are too scary.

The only thing that will top it is if they go and lose to Palace two weeks later anyway.

Who wrote that dribble? Can I just write anything I want and say that it's come directly from the big guys at Arsenal now as well?

mouse oxford
  • Total Posts : 2383
Re: RE: FOOTBALL TALK & SPECULATION 2019/01/09 10:37:41 (permalink)
I feel like Spurs need a proper 3-0 up at half time, then lose the game 5-3 result to give Noc something proper to eat.

The man is clearly starving. Surviving on a diet of Daily Mail crumbs.
Page: << < ..12611262126312641265.. > >> Showing page 1263 of 1269
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0