Helpful ReplyHot!Growing Chillies, Herbs etc

Page: << < ..1617 Showing page 17 of 17
Author
mouse oxford
  • Total Posts : 2306
Re: RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2018/08/15 11:20:54 (permalink)
DJ_PrOpS
Anyone got aphid problems? They're all over mine the bastards. Any tips for getting rid and preventing them coming back?

Can spray with water with a drop of washing up liquid in works for white fly / black fly as well but to be fair i just blast the fuckers off with a hose on fine spray. Once they're on the soil they get munched up. Couple of days of doing that and you should be good.
Whagwan
  • Total Posts : 23891
Re: RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2018/08/15 11:33:59 (permalink)
Don't get any problems with aphids on my outdoor plants.  There are plenty of spiders living in them though so i take care not to disturb them whilst watering.

Only pest I do have to protect from is slugs, I use pet-safe bio slug pellets as otherwise they devour everything.
Whagwan
Re: RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2018/09/03 14:55:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby S8 2018/09/04 19:56:55
Harvest is starting to come in now, huge amounts still on the plants.

Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4439
Re: RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2018/09/03 18:00:39 (permalink)
Nice one, those dark brown ones look deadly.
mouse oxford
  • Total Posts : 2306
Re: RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2018/09/03 19:48:13 (permalink)
Chocolate Habaneros isnt it? 

Mine are still orange, presuming they go brown as they ripen? Do you ever thin the leaves once the fruit is set to help them out Whagwan? 

My White Habaneros have not faired as well. 
Whagwan
Re: RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2018/09/04 19:45:42 (permalink)
Yup, chocolate habs. Mine never went through orange though straight brown from green.
I left the foliage as is, they're all in the shade but are still ripening nicely...
Whagwan
Re: RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2018/09/16 21:41:57 (permalink)
My challenge issued today was to make a chilli sauce the missus could enjoy. Had a scan at a couple of recipes and hybridised my own so was quite pleased with this mostly improvised effort.

Honey Roasted chilli and garlic sauce.
  • Made a marinade by thinning honey and brown sugar with a dash of hot water.
  • De seeded and cut into wedges 16 or so chillis, these were a selection of my weaker chillies (Gusto, Medina, Big Devil) and chucked these in the marinade along with about 8 cloves peeled garlic and gave them all a big mix.
  • Spread the chillis and garlic out over a baking sheet and then drizzled the remaining honey marinade over them. Baked at 180DegC for about 15-20 mins when the garlic has started to caramelise and the chilli flesh has started to bubble and brown.
  • Whilst this is going on, combine a finely chopped red bell pepper, a yellow bell pepper and half an onion. 4 TBSP Soy. 4TBSP Honey. 350 ml Apple Cider Vinegar, 350ml Water. 2 tsp salt
  • Simmer this away until all the veg is soft, adding the roasted veg when it is done.
  • Either using a blender ofr an immersion blender, liquidise the shit out of it.
  • Tasted at this point and added extra honey to taste.
  • Simmered down until right thickness and poured into sterlised bottles.
  • It's pretty nice stuff. Quite tomatoey without containing any tomotoes. It's a definite 1/5 for heat, I had thought about putting one Naga in there just to give it a little kick but held off, it could probably have done with it and would still have only been 2/5.
And the missus likes it so that's a success!

I'm gonna repeat the recipe but with 16 of my massive chocolate habs, gonna be just a little different on the flavour/spice profile!
post edited by Whagwan - 2018/09/17 08:43:54
Aaron D
  • Total Posts : 4457
Re: RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2018/09/25 21:50:36 (permalink)
Used my chilli-grow this year which is 3 pots feeding from a tray. Only done Aji Limon in all 3 but it's turned into a chilli bush. Highly recommend as the stalks are like trunks and I only water once ever 4-7 days. Will up some pics.

Kind of fucked up as fed way too much nitrogen (tomato feed) in the tray and they vegetated for too long, but draining that and feeding them on pure water after seems to have made them into a monster.

Regarding aphids, no issues this year but in previous years I use soap & water then a hose next day (turning plants upside down). Once chillies set in I ignore them.
PapaJaro
  • Total Posts : 6960
Re: RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2018/09/26 21:41:57 (permalink)
x
post edited by PapaJaro - 2018/10/09 06:40:14
PapaJaro
  • Total Posts : 6960
Re: RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2018/10/16 22:54:08 (permalink)
I have a south facing balcony and I'm tempted to start growing some Papaver somniferum. Does anyone have any experience of this? I gather they're legal so long as you don't start 'bleeding' the seed pods towards the end of their life cycle.
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12984
Re: RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2018/10/17 15:34:34 (permalink)
PapaJaro
I have a south facing balcony and I'm tempted to start growing some Papaver somniferum. Does anyone have any experience of this? I gather they're legal so long as you don't start 'bleeding' the seed pods towards the end of their life cycle.

Total waste of time unless you love poppies for the beautiful petals and blue green foliage. 

Page: << < ..1617 Showing page 17 of 17
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0