Helpful ReplyHot!Growing Chillies, Herbs etc

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16
Author
DannySB1
  • Total Posts : 143
2014/01/07 16:08:34 (permalink)

Growing Chillies, Herbs etc

I'm sure I read some mumblings on here a while back from some guys growing chillies indoors.

I'm looking to start growing some Coriander and Lemongrass indoors but I thought I may as well try some chillies while I am it.

Any recommendations that you have previously tried? I'm probably going to go with 1 that has a decent chance of surviving and 1 kinda extra special rare spicy strain from Thailand that will most likely fail instantly.

Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 27859
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:11:26 (permalink)
Coriander is dead easy. But lasts about 10 minutes. Ideally you want to seed it in intervals so that you cycle it round.
Autograff
  • Total Posts : 11873
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:14:03 (permalink)
If you have any south facing windows you can place them there, just make sure they don't get too cold. Certain strains grow fine in colder temperatures but if you want anything decent to grow well you need it to be warm. Currently I have Jalapenos, Arbols and Habaneros on the go, just growing them in my kitchen on the windowsill, house is nice and warm and they are doing well, don't water them too much, add the smallest bit of salt+sugar into the water I feed them.

Will be making some hot sauces out of them when they are ready.
theGrimey
  • Total Posts : 37731
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:15:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Autograff

If you have any south facing windows you can place them there, just make sure they don't get too cold. Certain strains grow fine in colder temperatures but if you want anything decent to grow well you need it to be warm. Currently I have Jalapenos, Arbols and Habaneros on the go, just growing them in my kitchen on the windowsill, house is nice and warm and they are doing well, don't water them too much, add the smallest bit of salt+sugar into the water I feed them.

Will be making some hot sauces out them when they are ready.

I was thinking of growing some on my windowsill, gets a fair bit of light - how many hours a day do yours get, do you reckon?
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12868
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:15:16 (permalink)
Apache is easy. Fruity and quite hot too. In fact most F1 hybrids are easy to grow and will give you a nice yield. However F1's don't breed true so you can't experiment with your own crosses or use seeds for next year.

If you like chillis, check out this guy's site- he's from Finland, they are mad about them!

http://fatalii.net/

Amazing site, very inspirational

Law
  • Total Posts : 64350
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:15:50 (permalink)
Try a breed of chillies bred for this climate.
I grew these last year.

http://www.sowchillies.co.uk/chilli-seeds/chenzo-chilli-seeds/

Absolutely piss of piss. They are very hardly and grow wide and bushy instead of tall. As such I had them outside all summer and harvested (and ate them) in end of September

Plus they look quality. They go green, to jet black to red. I didnt sow them until June last year so I hope for a better crop this time. Still, each plant had a pretty good yield. Fairly hot too.

I also tried growing Serrano chillis but that was a totally different ball game. They were pathetic in the same conditions.
Autograff
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:17:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: theGrimey

I was thinking of growing some on my windowsill, gets a fair bit of light - how many hours a day do yours get, do you reckon?

Probably around 6 hours of direct sunlight at the moment, obviously more as the days get longer.
Law
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:17:47 (permalink)
Yes Dave I also grew Apaches last year but I found the Chenzo's were easier. Grew more fruit and just made for a generally better looking plant.
RUSSELL CLARTY
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:19:54 (permalink)
What was the taste like Lawman? I liked the Apaches as they had that fruityness you get from habanero without the stupid heat- so you can cook with more chilli, get more fruit taste without blowing guests heads off

DannySB1
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:29:02 (permalink)
Yeh, I've a got south facing windowsill in mind, the room is pretty warm as well so it should be ideal.

I will give Chenzo's, Apaches and Jalapenos a look.

Smokey - What Coriander seeds are you using? I've read that 'cilantro' are good because they bush out and give more leafs.

Autograff - What are Arbols and Habaneros like taste wise?
theGrimey
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:30:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: theGrimey

Probably around 6 hours of direct sunlight at the moment, obviously more as the days get longer.

Safe, sounds about the same as mine. When did you sow yours?
Autograff
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:31:49 (permalink)
Habaneros are fruity, very aromatic and quite hot, they are basically Scotch Bonnets.

Arbols are quite potent and similar to cayenne pepper taste wise.
RUSSELL CLARTY
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:33:16 (permalink)
You don't want to bother sowing seeds until early Feb if you are using a window IMO

theGrimey
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:33:38 (permalink)
Seenery, ta
Law
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:34:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jungle Dave

What was the taste like Lawman? I liked the Apaches as they had that fruityness you get from habanero without the stupid heat- so you can cook with more chilli, get more fruit taste without blowing guests heads off

I think the apaches, despite not being as plump and ripe we probably a bit fruitier with a more vibrant taste that the Chenzo's. They were pretty similar though.

I took a big batch of the Chenzo's round my girlfriends parents house. I tried to explain to her mum they were pretty hot but she obviously wasnt listening and chomped on a whole one raw. She was in tears after, I was amused

How do you germinate? I just do the paper towel method in the airing cupboard. Once the plant looked a little sturdy I moved it to a bigger pot and let it outside then. Up against a wall that got a bit of sun but shielded them from too much wind.

Best to get them outside when you can I reckon. Even if its for a couple of hours a day, let the winds toughen them up and get bit of wind pollination growing.
Autograff
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:37:00 (permalink)

You don't want to bother sowing seeds until early Feb if you are using a window IMO

I did mine a few weeks back but I wish I would have waited a little, would probably turn out better. Thought I could rush it as the window gets a lot of sun and the room is warm.
:.Andy.:
  • Total Posts : 15327
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:38:12 (permalink)

Autograff
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:39:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Law

I think the apaches, despite not being as plump and ripe we probably a bit fruitier with a more vibrant taste that the Chenzo's. They were pretty similar though.

I took a big batch of the Chenzo's round my girlfriends parents house. I tried to explain to her mum they were pretty hot but she obviously wasnt listening and chomped on a whole one raw. She was in tears after, I was amused

How do you germinate? I just do the paper towel method in the airing cupboard. Once the plant looked a little sturdy I moved it to a bigger pot and let it outside then. Up against a wall that got a bit of sun but shielded them from too much wind.

Best to get them outside when you can I reckon. Even if its for a couple of hours a day, let the winds toughen them up and get bit of wind pollination growing.

I just ordered some of those Chenzo's, gonna do it the same way you did I reckon.
Jamie S23
  • Total Posts : 16359
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:43:13 (permalink)
DNBA Chilli growers club needs to happen
Autograff
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:46:42 (permalink)
I think it just did
RUSSELL CLARTY
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:47:38 (permalink)

I did mine a few weeks back but I wish I would have waited a little, would probably turn out better. Thought I could rush it as the window gets a lot of sun and the room is warm.

Even in full sun, this time of the year the lumens are weak. You can grow, but it's spindlemungous.

Best bet is a little anglepoise-type desk lamp, stick an energy saving lumo bulb in it and give her a bit more after the sun goes down. Couple of hours will do it.

Autograff
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:49:21 (permalink)

Even in full sun, this time of the year the lumens are weak. You can grow, but it's spindlemungous.

Best bet is a little anglepoise-type desk lamp, stick an energy saving lumo bulb in it and give her a bit more after the sun goes down. Couple of hours will do it.

I googled this and still have no idea what it means

Good tip, cheers man.
RUSSELL CLARTY
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:50:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Law

I had a few Apaches in my greenhouse a few years back and they hated it- leaf spot etc. As soon as they got outside, they were loving it. Counterintuitive but they don't care too much about temps south of Birmingham

RUSSELL CLARTY
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:51:35 (permalink)

I googled this and still have no idea what it means

Good tip, cheers man.

A bit like spindletastic but worse

Law
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 16:56:47 (permalink)
A couple of pictures here from last year

http://imgur.com/a/kUcWz

1) Chenzo midripe
2) Serrano: yield was pathetic, the prefer the slopes of central Mexico lol
3) Apache, a few looking puny
4) Chenzo with a few different colours

Chenzo was by far the easiest to grow, that plant was hardcore, didn't give a fuck. I tried to overwinter it but I forgot about watering and I think its fucked now.
DannySB1
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 17:05:40 (permalink)
Those Chenzos look good, will most likely give them a try.

Tbh if I get anything close to that yield I will be chuffed, the thought of other living things being in my care is worrying

Have you got some sort of Polythene tunnel arrangement going on there Law?
Bruce Bogtrotter
  • Total Posts : 7923
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 17:14:35 (permalink)
You guys go in. I just buy a chilli plant from waitrose every month or so and pretend i grew them.

Anyone have any tips for keeping basil plants alive in this weather?
Law
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 17:18:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DannySB1

Have you got some sort of Polythene tunnel arrangement going on there Law?

Just one of those plastic greenhouse things you can get on the cheap. It was a good summer last year so I had the chillies in there until they were strong enough to go outside on their own.
If the forecast was a bit chilly or windy over night I put them back in there until the morning.
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 27859
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 17:18:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DannySB1

Yeh, I've a got south facing windowsill in mind, the room is pretty warm as well so it should be ideal.

I will give Chenzo's, Apaches and Jalapenos a look.

Smokey - What Coriander seeds are you using? I've read that 'cilantro' are good because they bush out and give more leafs.

Autograff - What are Arbols and Habaneros like taste wise?

Cilantro type, but once you cut them, that's it, they don't regrow like basil or chives.
Aaron D
  • Total Posts : 4456
RE: Growing Chillies, Herbs etc 2014/01/07 17:19:43 (permalink)
I did quite a lot last year, most of which turned out good apart from a few of the hotter varieties.

Successful - Jalepenos, Habaneros, Scotch Bonnets, Dorset Nagas, Cayennes
Not so - Trinidad Scorpions, chocolate Naga

Think there were a few more but cant remember off the top of my head.

Basically the hotter the chilli the harder to grow. Now is the time of year to start sowing, but if you are doing some hot varieties you will need a light and warmth.

Luckily my ex weed growing mate was sitting on a £300 grow tent and a full hydro kit so will be using that this season.
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0