Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]The TV series thread

Page: << < ..156157158159160.. > >> Showing page 160 of 163
Author
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 94642
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/24 12:06:10 (permalink)
Man Down is excellent, so is Cuckoo
21 21
  • Total Posts : 5892
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/24 16:58:42 (permalink)
yeah, I've obviously watched and enjoyed shit like Peep Show, IT Crowd, etc. but they're old as shit. 

There's barely anything new that's decent - everything always looks budget. PJDN is a huge exception but everything else is mostly poor.

The American version of the Office is much better, imo. 

I dunno. Most comedy stuff here just feels small time.

And yeah, fuck American stand-up like Kevin Hart, etc. etc. There's some mainstream trash like that but there's so many great comedians in America. 

America does sit-com / comedy in such a high-end style as well - it's closer in quality to films than some small time production from the BBC. We don't put anything out like Vice Principles, Barry, Curb, etc.

They have all the classics like Cheers, Frasier, Seinfeld, etc.

If someone told me to choose between watching American TV or English TV for the rest of my life American TV would win by absolute fucking mile. 

I'm not like totally anti-UK comedy - there's a few bits I enjoy but mostly, meh. 

Artical Don
  • Total Posts : 6625
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/24 17:05:47 (permalink)
Started Phoenix Nights again a few days ago, stone cold classic series. So funny.

RAYZA
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/24 17:30:57 (permalink)
Cheers, Frasier & Seinfeld are rubbish
21 21
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/24 17:37:19 (permalink)
Razor

as I said, each to their own
Loam
  • Total Posts : 1447
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/24 17:44:10 (permalink)
Frasier is brilliant. Probably the only US sitcom I enjoy along with Curb Your Enthusiasm
RAYZA
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/24 17:52:14 (permalink)
dazdsb
Razor

unacceptabru, why don't you have sex with america if you love it so much, huh?
Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2826
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/24 17:55:17 (permalink)
Having spent the last week in the US I can attest I would never swap it for UK tv. The sheer number of adverts is enough to make you go insane.

British TV + good imports is the way to go.
21 21
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/24 18:09:44 (permalink)
Razor
dazdsb
Razor

unacceptabru, why don't you have sex with america if you love it so much, huh?

21 21
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/24 18:10:44 (permalink)
Rudeboysy
Having spent the last week in the US I can attest I would never swap it for UK tv. The sheer number of adverts is enough to make you go insane.

I would absolutely not choose their cable system - I meant I'd choose their shows over the UK's. 

Fuck watching ads every 5 minutes. 
Majik
  • Total Posts : 41462
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/24 19:28:24 (permalink)
New Nathan For You on Comedy Central last night was fucking jokes, the pet fly 😂😂

NZPhenom
  • Total Posts : 4763
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 01:33:56 (permalink)
New season?! Fuck yes.

Yeah, as an impartial observer, the catalogue of US sitcoms is definitely superior IMO.

Although The Office UK will always be my GOAT. Daz suggesting the US one is better?Blasphemy.
Handsome B Wonderful
  • Total Posts : 11986
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 02:14:52 (permalink)
NZPhenom

Although The Office UK will always be my GOAT. 

QFT

Rudeboysy

Same in Australia. You have 3 ad breaks for a 30 minute show. And the tv is utter shite.
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 7626
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 08:55:46 (permalink)
had zero expectations for Barry but it's easily one of the best things on TV at the moment

"GULP"

fantastic action sequence too in episode five
mouse oxford
  • Total Posts : 2160
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 08:58:03 (permalink)
Sorry Daz, but good comedy isn't dependent on budget or production quality. Its down to good writing. 

The aforementioned Stewart Lee series is literally him doing stand up in a small theatre, but it's excellent comedy. Sharp and witty, socially and politically poignant, thought provoking and tear inducingly funny. Most of the decent comedy writers over here cut their teeth on radio, where there is no budget. 

Plus i don't want to make the sweeping generalisation that "yanks don't get irony" but they certainly don't have the pedigree of years and years of sarcasm, self depreciation, cynicism and borderline surrealism as Brit comedians / writers have. 

Ultimately humour is subjective, but if the yanks where so good at it why do they choose to badly (mostly) remake so much of our original output?
Griff
  • Total Posts : 9143
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 09:05:27 (permalink)
Started and finished all 4 seasons of Bojack the past couple of weeks.

What a show, some serious feels. 
21 21
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 09:17:10 (permalink)
mouse
Sorry Daz, but good comedy isn't dependent on budget or production quality. Its down to good writing. 

Ultimately humour is subjective, but if the yanks where so good at it why do they choose to badly (mostly) remake so much of our original output?

hey man, 

maybe I didn't come across as clearly as I'd hoped; I have said each to their own though. 

I personally don't like much UK comedy and prefer US output but there is some UK stuff I like. 

The humour is different in some cases and I agree; budget and production scale doesn't make it but personally I prefer that kind of stuff to the small time stuff that comes out on BBC, C4, etc - with things like Peep Show and IT crowd being the exceptions. 

I guess the US has a plethora of writers and comedians and they output a huge amount of shows. For every great show there's some shite like King of Queens, Joey, etc.

We have a certain style of wit here and it does produce the odd gold but sometimes it's just quaint and quirky for the sake of it. 

But yeah, I could write a huge list of US comedy which is brilliant and probably just about get to maybe 10-15 shows the UK have made that are worth watching. 

21 21
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 09:24:18 (permalink)
I mean, look at US animated output alone: 

Bojack
American Dad
Family Guy
Simpsons
South Park
Futurama
King of the Hill 
Bob's Burgers
Rick & Morty
Adventure Time

Then find any significant UK produced animation: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:British_animated_television_series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:British_adult_animated_television_series

There just isn't anything comparable at all there.

_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 5119
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 10:00:46 (permalink)
dazdsb

Bojack
American Dad
Family Guy
Simpsons
South Park
Futurama
King of the Hill 
Bob's Burgers
Rick & Morty
Adventure Time

I agree that the US is way ahead with animation. Monkey Dust is the only thing that springs to mind from UK, but I find that a bit hit and miss and not really into the animation style either. 

But over the last 30 years the UK easily outnumbers the US for top quality comedy. This is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact. 

Handsome B Wonderful
  • Total Posts : 11986
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 10:06:54 (permalink)
US comedy often starts well then descends into mawkish luvvy duvvy bullshit and excessive flanderization. Mainly cos they milk it for 10 seasons of 20 episodes.
The Duck of Death
  • Total Posts : 17755
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 10:09:09 (permalink)
i utterly cant stand the office rip off style of this country or PJDN

AHAHAHA THEY LOOKED AT THE CAMERA AFTER SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 5119
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 10:15:44 (permalink)
Horsey Boy
i utterly cant stand the office rip off style of this country or PJDN

AHAHAHA THEY LOOKED AT THE CAMERA AFTER SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING

You could argue that The Office wasn't the first to use that style - Spinal Tap is essentially the same thing. 

I like it when it's done well. PJDN does often feel like an Office rip off especially as Grinda does a lot of Brent-isms. It has developed past that though, I think, and is funny in it's own right now. Trailer Park Boys as well, the first few seasons are great and it's never really felt like much of an Office rip off, that one. 

mouse oxford
  • Total Posts : 2160
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 11:00:53 (permalink)
dazdsb

Bojack
American Dad
Family Guy
Simpsons
South Park
Futurama
King of the Hill 
Bob's Burgers
Rick & Morty
Adventure Time

But i wouldn't go to the BBC or Channel 4 for long running adult animated comedy, that is a US staple. 

The same way i wouldn't expect the BBC to roll out consistent HBO quality, film standard, polished television. They're not commercially funded for one, and when they have attempted it (the last kingdom for example) then the disparity in budget is clear.  

If it's not your thing then fine, but there's a list of at least 10 -15 quality UK comedy shows from the last couple of years on the last two pages alone.  
post edited by mouse oxford - 2018/05/25 11:02:56
gavinx
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 11:06:59 (permalink)
new series of It's Always Sunny coming soon daz, don't worry 
OEM
  • Total Posts : 32990
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 11:25:34 (permalink)
Griff

Watched them at my old work place. I binged on them and found myself seriously hooked on watching this show. S4 wasn't as good, bit of a slow burner tbh. I unwittingly read laods of spoilers while searching for the release date. That probably had an effect on me watching it.

I know S5 is out later this year, possibly Sept. It's worth watching them again because I found myself catching stuff in the background that went unnoticed the first time round.

21 21
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 11:37:06 (permalink)
gavinx

haha, can't wait. still watch it religiously most nights before bed. 

we went and did the Always Sunny quiz at a bar in Leicester on Wednesday night this week and came second to last. Was gutted because I've seen all of it at least 15-20 times through and I can't remember fuck all - that's being stoned for you, I guess. 

was watching the outtakes on youtube from all seasons last night - it's too much. how they manage to get through any scenes without creasing is a miracle tbh. 
Griff
  • Total Posts : 9143
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 11:46:15 (permalink)
OEM
Griff

Watched them at my old work place. I binged on them and found myself seriously hooked on watching this show. S4 wasn't as good, bit of a slow burner tbh. I unwittingly read laods of spoilers while searching for the release date. That probably had an effect on me watching it.

I know S5 is out later this year, possibly Sept. It's worth watching them again because I found myself catching stuff in the background that went unnoticed the first time round.

I actually thought season 4 was one of the best, not particularly funny but real fucking dramatic.

The montage at the start of episode 2 where he goes back to his Grandparents home with the flashbacks over a cover of 'A Horse with no Name' was amazing.  I haven't got the song out of my head since.
21 21
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 11:51:56 (permalink)
Bojack is the truth baby. 

Can't wait for more.
gavinx
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/25 12:37:54 (permalink)
dazdsb
gavinx

haha, can't wait. still watch it religiously most nights before bed. 

we went and did the Always Sunny quiz at a bar in Leicester on Wednesday night this week and came second to last. Was gutted because I've seen all of it at least 15-20 times through and I can't remember fuck all - that's being stoned for you, I guess. 

was watching the outtakes on youtube from all seasons last night - it's too much. how they manage to get through any scenes without creasing is a miracle tbh. 

a IASIP quiz?!?! no way, that's awesome! can you remember any of the questions?

and yeah, the outtakes are hilarious. every set up must take forever to film.
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16742
Re: The TV series thread 2018/05/26 10:54:00 (permalink)
I’m loving Toast

The best high winds actor in Britain. After Axel Jacklin
Page: << < ..156157158159160.. > >> Showing page 160 of 163
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0