Helpful ReplyHot!The Ski & Snowboard thread

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Author
Whagwan
  • Total Posts : 23495
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2016/12/14 11:06:01 (permalink)
Grandvalira honeymoon sooncome.  Thank fuck I picked there as plenty of artificial cover (140km open) to deal with the shit dry December...
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 5173
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2016/12/14 11:26:26 (permalink)
Trying to arrange a big party trip around early March kind of time.

Anyone know of any resorts where they might have cheap accommodation / and where the snow will still be OK that late in the season?

Failing that, please just recommend anywhere cheap if you're booking as a large group? 15-20 people I reckon.
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 7739
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2016/12/14 11:33:36 (permalink)
going to Mayrhofen in january... anyone been before?
Autograff
  • Total Posts : 11866
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2016/12/14 12:11:50 (permalink)
DJModus
Trying to arrange a big party trip around early March kind of time.

Anyone know of any resorts where they might have cheap accommodation / and where the snow will still be OK that late in the season?

Failing that, please just recommend anywhere cheap if you're booking as a large group? 15-20 people I reckon.

Generally most resorts will have some cheap accommodation, check out this article for good European spots with late snow:

http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/top-10-late-season-ski-resorts-europe/

I'm heading to Val D again at the end of March, always had good snow around that time when I've been, not so much in the actual town but the slopes are fine, plus it's got great nightlife. 
gavinx
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2017/01/23 15:30:08 (permalink)
was in Mayrhofen last week - pretty brilliant tbh

great snow and bright sun four days. one of the most picturesque resorts i've ever skied too, with huge trees and cabins everywhere. it's also home to the steepest block run in austria (maybe the whole of europe too?)... 78 degrees vertical  i saw one guy do about 100 feet of it just on his face. he wasn't happy.
sand
  • Total Posts : 1455
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2017/07/21 02:27:34 (permalink)
Had one of my best days on the mountain this past Tuesday. Heliskiing in Canterbury NZ. 

Cherno Samba
  • Total Posts : 2749
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/01/09 20:08:01 (permalink)
Fairly new to snowboarding. Going to Bansko in Bulgaria in march. Anyone been?
gavinx
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/14 12:34:59 (permalink)
was out in andorra last week. couple of bleak days visibility-wise, but overall it was sick. SO much snow. beautiful slopes and views. could've done with a few more challenging slopes though

is there anything better than cruising along with early good looking-era ambient jungle playing? always listen to seba's producer cd, progression sessions, etc when i go skiing
S8
  • Total Posts : 19476
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/14 12:45:32 (permalink)
gavinx
was in Mayrhofen last week - pretty brilliant tbh

great snow and bright sun four days. one of the most picturesque resorts i've ever skied too, with huge trees and cabins everywhere. it's also home to the steepest block run in austria (maybe the whole of europe too?)... 78 degrees vertical  i saw one guy do about 100 feet of it just on his face. he wasn't happy.

I learnt in Mayrhofen - I really must get back as it was a lovely resort. We went to Sheffau down the road for a weeks snowboarding at the start of January, it was awesome and very much like Mayrhofen in terms of snow and slopes.

I trashed my hire board towards the end of the week; being a tall fucker meant the shop gave me a brand new 171cm board. It was huge, but gave me a tonne of stability I haven't had before as most hire boards are too small for me .

Hohe Salve by Nick, on Flickr
Autograff
  • Total Posts : 11866
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/14 12:49:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby S8 2018/02/14 13:51:46
That place looks awesome, may have to check it out. Heading out to France again in March, was meant to go to Japan this year but we left it too late and it got way too pricey so gonna go next year instead. Can't wait, watching the Winter Olympics has really been hyping me up. 
Whagwan
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/14 12:52:32 (permalink)
Heading  to Andorra for a week on the 25th.  Kid due in June so this'll be my last trip until it's old enough to get into ski school...  Then hopefully a gold medal at 17 lol

gavinx
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/14 13:17:16 (permalink)
Whagwan
Heading  to Andorra for a week on the 25th.  Kid due in June so this'll be my last trip until it's old enough to get into ski school...  Then hopefully a gold medal at 17 lol

where you going mate? i was in pas de la casa last week. whole grandvalira (sp?) area is sick
Whagwan
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/15 08:06:23 (permalink)
Staying in Pas, was at El Tarter last year.
gavinx
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/15 10:52:53 (permalink)
Whagwan
Staying in Pas, was at El Tarter last year.

nice. pas is cool. make sure you get a fondue or raclette upstairs in El Marselles!

we did some husky sled driving from el tarter btw, was sick
Whagwan
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/15 10:57:04 (permalink)
Yeah man, did the husky riding on Christmas day 2016 on my honeymoon. Was pretty epic to be riding through the snow on a sleigh on Christmas day...

Staying half board so won't be doing too much eating out, very much on a budget. I'd rather save the cost of a few good meals for a days freeride or freestyle instruction. Don't even plan to drink much as would rather be on the first lift in the morning with a clear head...
⚡ Evade ⚡
  • Total Posts : 7877
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/19 12:14:01 (permalink)
Going to Bansko in Bulgaria next week. Anyone ever been? I've only ever skied in the French/Italian alps so not sure what to expect. I can't wait, haven't been for 7 years now!

Cherno Samba
  • Total Posts : 2749
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/19 12:18:51 (permalink)
3rd degree
Going to Bansko in Bulgaria next week. Anyone ever been? I've only ever skied in the French/Italian alps so not sure what to expect. I can't wait, haven't been for 7 years now!

I'm going next month. Never been before

Lots of people complain about the queues to get from the town to the slopes, around 1 hour seems to be standard at the moment.

Let me know how it is
THIRT33N
  • Total Posts : 1296
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/20 11:39:32 (permalink)
I've been to Bansko, I loved it. The town is old and well picturesque etc, everything is cheap as and people friendly. It's definitely not the perfect pristine Alp resorts, it's still Bulgaria so there's rubble and unfinished building sites knocking about, terrible roads etc but all gives it charm imo.

Stayed in a luxury spa hotel in a massive suite for next to nothing.

Slopes and snow park are decent enough. Not the amount of runs as the Alps etc but again it's Bulgaria. The restaurants/bars on the slopes are all run by the same people so they price gouge a bit, compared to in town its expensive but in English terms and relative to Alps its nothing.

Not sure about night life as didn't really stay out late.

One thing is buy your lift passes at the lifts when you're there, works out cheaper than ordering online apparently. I went late season so were no queues for the main gondola going up. Definitely won't be 1h queues in March. Once you're up you're up though and doubt there will be snow all the way back to the town that late (could be wrong).

Got re-addicted to smoking out there as its 2 quid for 20, had to knock that on the head.
⚡ Evade ⚡
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/02/20 12:00:16 (permalink)
Good info, thanks! Have already organised the lift passes unfortunately but good to know for next time. I've travelled around Eastern Europe a fair bit so I'm fairly used to the unfinished buildings/roads etc. As you say, it's all part of the charm. Definitely not planning on staying up 'til all hours getting smashed. I can do that anywhere, I want to get a good week's worth of skiing in!

⚡ Evade ⚡
Re: The Ski & Snowboard thread 2018/03/06 17:46:22 (permalink)
Well, Bansko was sick. Really well maintained lifts etc and a fairly good variety of pistes. Only downside is that it's not a huge resort, we'd done it all in the first three days but there is some wicked off piste stuff if you're at that kind of level.
If you go to Morris, just off the main strip, they do pints for 2.50 Lev. That's the cheapest that we found which, considering it's 5 or even 7 in some places, was pretty good.

3rd degree
Definitely not planning on staying up 'til all hours getting smashed. I can do that anywhere

Yeah, this definitely didn't happen. On the penultimate night I was so shitfaced that I threw a snowball at the Bulgarian police and yelled "Ne-erds" in a Homer Simpson stylee. They chased me down an alleyway and slapped me about a bit. It was only supposed to be a bit of harmless hijinks but they didn't seem to see it that way.

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0