Drum & Bass Arena

Forums Register Login Profile Inbox Address Book My Subscription My Forums Photo Gallery Member List Search Calendars FAQ Ticket List Logout

Windows 8

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [D&B Music] >> [Default Category] >> Drum&Bass >> Windows 8 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 8:29:35 PM   
Postman Pat

This actually sounds really interesting, can see it overtaking Android and iOS on tablets in no time. If it really takes off on home pcs it'll wipe the floor with everyone on smartphones too. Microsoft back in control perhaps.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-02/29/windows-8-hands-on?page=all
Post #: 1
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 8:33:15 PM   
0-AID

This has Windows ME written all over it.

The metro ui will never work in the corporate environment and I can't see developers running to change the way their applications are written to suit it either.
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 8:59:25 PM   
Shiverman

I have quite a bit of faith in Windows since their kick up the arse with Vista (which wasnt as bad as everyone made it out to be).

Developers will write for whatevers is popular, not what suits them - looks at Facebook. Probably the worst API out their and yet developers hack about the stupid bloated piece of shit code to get their apps on there
Post #: 3
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 9:07:50 PM   
0-AID

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shiverman

I have quite a bit of faith in Windows since their kick up the arse with Vista (which wasnt as bad as everyone made it out to be).

Developers will write for whatevers is popular, not what suits them - looks at Facebook. Probably the worst API out their and yet developers hack about the stupid bloated piece of shit code to get their apps on there

I hear that, but from my experience, they always get one wrong and then one right. This will be the version they got wrong.

Vista wasn't that bad no, but look how they had to re-brand the product, fix all the holes and convince the masses it was a 'new' product to get it off the ground.
Post #: 4
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 9:21:33 PM   
Nazoreth

8 will be terrible

its been written off already all over the technology press. the general idea looks horrible for PCs. And for tablets? really? Microsoft has already released a similar looking mobile operating system that has failed miserably.

apparently the magnitude of work required to pull it off and the general idea behind it is forcing a lot of microsoft developers to quit the project.

saying it will challenge iOS or android is laughable. like someone else already mentioned it will be another ME, it will be another vista, it will suck. suck. suck.
Post #: 5
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 9:26:40 PM   
Nazoreth

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/five-reasons-why-windows-8-will-be-dead-on-arrival/10275

nice summary
Post #: 6
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 9:32:37 PM   
Postman Pat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nazoreth

8 will be terrible

its been written off already all over the technology press. the general idea looks horrible for PCs. And for tablets? really? Microsoft has already released a similar looking mobile operating system that has failed miserably.

apparently the magnitude of work required to pull it off and the general idea behind it is forcing a lot of microsoft developers to quit the project.

saying it will challenge iOS or android is laughable. like someone else already mentioned it will be another ME, it will be another vista, it will suck. suck. suck.

Really though? Everything I've read has bummed it. The windows phone OS hasn't been out long enough to be deemed a failure and it got great reviews, meanwhile the android tablet marketshare isn't catching up with Apple anywhere near as fast as they did with smartphones so you could see Microsoft stealing a march on Google and therefore eventually becoming the tablet market leader.

Anyway, everything anyone including me says along these lines is based on second hand info and conjecture so we'll have to wait and see I guess. For the time being though, I think the touch interface they've designed is interesting.
Post #: 7
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 9:34:43 PM   
Shiverman

Technology press is such a fickle little bitch tho, they'd have said it was the absolute shit if they'd given them a free laptop like last time
Post #: 8
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 9:39:05 PM   
Nazoreth

i thought the mobile system had been out for quite a while? i think theyve tried to reinvent the wheel and hope that its novelty makes it popular. it seems like a horrible interface to me.

i would quite happily bet money that it will flop massively. normally i would cheerfully be proven wrong but in this instance i would hate for mobile operating systems to move in that direction.

i havent got facts to hand and cant be bothered to search but i swear android (across all of its varieties) is killing it.  i see as many android phones as iphones around nowadays.

edit - the new windows mobile came out in 2010 and last year had a 3% market share....

< Message edited by Nazoreth -- 29/2/2012 9:40:55 PM >
Post #: 9
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 9:54:15 PM   
deeman180

Dont really understand how it will be dead on arrival it will come pre installed on every new pc so even if its shit developers will have no choice but to work with it.I've had a little go on w8 installed on a acer tablet and imo i think its got the potential to blow all other tablets out of the water works great,on a laptop tho its a different matter the metro ui needs a disable button.
Post #: 10
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 9:55:29 PM   
*OrganiX*

Its shit on a PC / laptop

There was (and still is?) the dev build around for anyone to use. On a PC, its horrendous. On a tablet / smartphone, it could well be good. Already made a several page thread on it
Post #: 11
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 9:56:30 PM   
STIMPY

I guess they're working it from the angle that eventually all pc monitors will be touch sensitive?
Post #: 12
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 10:00:02 PM   
*OrganiX*

quote:

ORIGINAL: STIMPY

I guess they're working it from the angle that eventually all pc monitors will be touch sensitive?

I can't see that happening in the next 10 years
Post #: 13
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 10:02:22 PM   
Postman Pat

Apparently they think Kinect is where it's at.
Post #: 14
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 10:13:42 PM   
Shiverman

quote:

ORIGINAL: *OrganiX*

quote:

10 years!? Think about that for a minute
Post #: 15
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 10:15:05 PM   
*OrganiX*

At least.

Put it like this; a vast portion of businesses (including nearly all schools in the country and local authorities) are still running Windows XP, an OS that was released in 2001. The only reason to upgrade for some is XP's support running out in 2014, and upgrading will be a massive pain and unwanted cost for most of those businesses.

To think that the majority of PC's will be running touch screen technology with Windows 8 and the servers to support it - 8 will be using a new file system not 100% backward compatible with the current one (correct me if I'm wrong about REFS?), its not going to happen!

Edit: Win8 clients will still use NTFS

< Message edited by *OrganiX* -- 29/2/2012 10:30:02 PM >
Post #: 16
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 10:55:25 PM   
shroomy
Utter Cunt

Only a complete dribbler would want that kind of UI on a desktop PC, bad enough having it on the fucking xbox.

Touch screen / motion sensors etc can fuck right off, I can understand if youre using it for design purposes but thats all.

< Message edited by shroomy -- 29/2/2012 10:56:54 PM >
Post #: 17
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:07:25 PM   
Shiverman

Perhaps touch screen of now yeah, but think how long a decade is in technology terms. I don't think it'll be more than 5 years before we're using touch screen for our desktop pcs and laptops, easily.

Perhaps non-tech savvy businesses yeah, but fuck them. They are the ones still running IE6 and effectively ruining peoples lives because of it. Take them out of the equation (which is a sizeable whack but not the majority)

People have been reluctant to upgrade from XP because of a lack of a commercially viable alternative, until recently.
Post #: 18
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:13:56 PM   
otanswell

Just installing the beta now..
Post #: 19
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:16:32 PM   
shroomy
Utter Cunt

Possibly but Ive never thought to myself 'ooh this would be much more convenient with my hands in the way of the screen'.

Nothing wrong with a mouse and keyboard really is there? The current windows UI isnt exactly confusing either.
Post #: 20
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:17:35 PM   
Shiverman

No, but nothing wrong with mouse, keyboard and touch screen either. Mouse and keyboard won't be around forever.
Post #: 21
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:18:01 PM   
FixBeat

it seems like a load of shit to develop for with mobile devices, certainly nowhere near as clean and easy to work with as ios or even android. they have a lot of work to convince devs to bother, let alone make the switch imo.

also, for mobile devices, it's a watered down windows 7 (with touch screen ad ons), and typical microsoft hasn't watered down the right parts, which means you need stupidly powerful mobile devices to run it anywhere near as decent as ios and android does on similar powered devices.

i think the only way microsoft will get a decent amount of devs on board is to do what they usually do, throw loadsa money around.
Post #: 22
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:18:17 PM   
shroomy
Utter Cunt

How do you play an FPS with a touch screen?
Post #: 23
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:18:51 PM   
spils
...early and often

quote:

ORIGINAL: *OrganiX*

quote:

Cant see it ever happening, Micorsoft have realised in a professional environment no ones going to use touch screen. Mouse and keyboard/trackball or pen/tablet > all

Has 0-AID and the other tech heads have said this will be one to miss and will be a pointless OS for most. Its got some lovley features the kernal for one is brilliant. There some great features in there as I've found by messing about with the developers build. But as 0-AID said windows 9 will be the one they will refine everything.

Also don't believe anything you read in the press its all a load of shit. If MS bung them W8 will be the best thing since well windows 7 if not it will be Vista/ME/95 all over again.
Post #: 24
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:19:16 PM   
Shiverman

quote:

ORIGINAL: shroomy

quote:

No, but nothing wrong with mouse, keyboard and touch screen either. Mouse and keyboard won't be around forever.
Post #: 25
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:19:31 PM   
MuzzahD
Dark Soldier

I don't think touch screen pc monitors/laptop screens for the masses is that far away.
You can already get those dell laptops that double up as a tablet/touch screen laptop.
Post #: 26
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:19:42 PM   
shroomy
Utter Cunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shiverman

quote:

quote:

Post #: 27
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:21:42 PM   
FixBeat

quote:

two virtual sticks are on the screen. it's fucking awful. i hate games that are converted for use with touch screen. games designed around touch screen's abilities are so much better. (but none match a controller or mouse/keyboard imo).
Post #: 28
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:21:50 PM   
Shiverman

Ok, but forever is a long time away, I'm quite clearly saying that touch screen is going to be used WITH A KEYBOARD AND MOUSE. Are you're asking me to tell you the next alternative to a keyboard and mouse? If I knew that I'd be a fucking gazillionnaire.
Post #: 29
RE: Windows 8 - 29/2/2012 11:24:10 PM   
spils
...early and often

also I think alot of you are confused by metro, the desktop still has a windows 7 UI tweaked. You launch metro by pressing the windows key. Its like a windows media center kinda thingy kinda. But built in at teh core and not clumsy.

Great for tablets HTPC's etc etc.
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [D&B Music] >> [Default Category] >> Drum&Bass >> Windows 8 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

Users viewing this topic: none

Downloads

Chimera
Roots N Future (Altern 8's Dark Future Remix)
98 Beat
Pegi 18 (2014 Rollers Mix)
ISOL8
Throwback (Original Mix)
Transformation (Original Mix)
NGC 2808
V8 (Original Mix)
Avalanche (A8)
The Unknown (Original Mix)
48 Nations (Original Mix)
Iconography (Original Mix)
Aluminion (Original Mix)
Knee Deep In Louise (Shadow Child Remix)

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts