Drum & Bass Arena

Forums Register Login Profile Inbox Address Book My Subscription My Forums Photo Gallery Member List Search Calendars FAQ Ticket List Logout

RE: listening to others genres of music

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [D&B Music] >> [Default Category] >> Drum&Bass Production >> RE: listening to others genres of music Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 3:38:28 AM   
STIMPY

I like Reich, everything I've seen of his is layers and layers of instruments, mad evolving riffs with different time signatures on top of eachother creating sexy time. when did he write all that stuff cunt?
Post #: 31
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 3:40:52 AM   
STIMPY

And what are Stockhausen and Norgarden saying. Did Stockhausen's good stuff come before or after he was working with Pete Waterman? (No mongo)
Post #: 32
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 5:25:40 AM   
IKOS

Hush your gabbing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3pu_LYBYns
Post #: 33
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 6:12:34 AM   
rodders

WOW harsh comments but true............

think i'll start loading up the iphone with some other stuff but not that shit you posted up cunt ........!!!
Post #: 34
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 11:46:24 AM   
New Era

Morning! I was pretty pissed when i kicked this off last night. Sorry for my lack of ellaboration but mr c has pretty much conveyed what i would have said.

I am didn't realise i came across as a constant moaner ikos :-( the reason i come here is not to put people down or call them shit. I posted here years ago when i knew very little about music production and obviously got flamed for my shit attempts at dnb. I loved playing dnb as a dj and for me the logical thing was to try and make some, much like the majority here. It was shit though at first. The thing is i was determined to write music, not sample music and put a beat on it so i set about teaching myself music theory and audio engineering. I did study at SAE for a year too which was a good grounding but i have also read a shit load of books, white papers and researched subjects myself.

All of this education made a huge improvement on any music that i wrote and dramatically increased workflow. Now i spend a lot of time working with composers (some of who are bafta winners) and producers that would laugh out the door if i came out with a load of bollocks.

I decided to start posting here again because i wanted to help people understand that educating yourself is paramount in being successful. Yea, there are some exceptions but the vast majority of us can't expect to get lucky everytime.

Look at somr of my older posts, i spent a lot of time explaining things such as nyquist theory, distortion, dithering, floating point and fixed point audio streams, and more... But a lot of users here come back and disagree or say things like "don't need to know that to make phat beats" so now if i see a question that can be answered with a small amount of education i do point out that it's easy if you know how. This is not everyone here so i'm not pointing fingers hut those who want to be arrogant amd just expect everyone to answer their questions without even attempting to read a book are going to get shitty comments from me.
Post #: 35
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 12:34:34 PM   
BomDigiDigi

That can take a wrong turn aswell. Look at squarepusher, he has basically dissappeared up his own poo, making terribly schollared lifeless dinner time jazz. He should've brought some more spazz for his journey.
Post #: 36
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 1:13:08 PM   
Invision
some spare time and an erection

quote:

ORIGINAL: IKOS

I just drunkenly typed 'piano' into windows search thinking i had some good stuff saved and the first thing that came up was THE ASSEMBLY WORKER - LIGYROPHOPIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS7Dntj44wI

4:51 still gets me xx

I heard that song on a mix the other day... and it definitely wasn't under the name 'assembly worker'

(drita maybe? )
Post #: 37
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 1:17:02 PM   
rodders

Im not saying that i dont like any other genre just find it hard to listen to anything else, thinking that the music i want to learn how produce should be what i listen to to give me a good foundation and understanding but ive seen the error in my ways an when trying to be different an think of ideas im getting nothing.

i no im not the only one that has done this an will not be the last .............. but im big enough to admit my faults on this forum which im sure half of you two bob cunts gobbing off behind your monitors will never have the balls to do.

an i think in dnb there needs to be more dj's then producers because you always here the same shit all the time.

< Message edited by rodders -- 25/2/2012 1:18:17 PM >
Post #: 38
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 1:28:14 PM   
sameold

Loads of people with in depth technical and musical knowledge making lame stale shit.

In conclusion, die. everyone
Post #: 39
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 1:28:35 PM   
rodders

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Cunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: rodders

but im big enough to admit my faults on this forum which im sure half of you two bob cunts gobbing off behind your monitors will never have the balls to do.

LOL, as if there is anything at all that could be at fault in anything I do.

LOL thats why your a cunt ................!!!
Post #: 40
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 1:30:16 PM   
GNDrecords

i started producing before i knew what drugs were. anyone heard of ejay?? LOL funny now looking back on it but if it werent for that, i wouldnt have even looked into making music. music theory is what i struggle with, loads of boring words. preferr to just put reason up and see what i can create. yes its simple, but as is music in general these days. i just use my ears to pinpoint what needs to change.

oh yea thats rite, the topic at the start....

YES!! you need as much music as you can. i didnt even start making dnb untill about 3-4 years ago, before that it was house/ downtempo / alternative electro / technodub. i did listen to jungle an dnb before but i never really felt it enough to make it. one day the 4on4 just got boring, so i started chopping breaks. i still try and listen to other music, take inspiration from anything, radio, tv, whatever. without it you just get stuck in a loop loop loop loop
Post #: 41
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 2:18:00 PM   
New Era

quote:

ORIGINAL: BomDigiDigi

That can take a wrong turn aswell. Look at squarepusher, he has basically dissappeared up his own poo, making terribly schollared lifeless dinner time jazz. He should've brought some more spazz for his journey.

On the flipside, disappearing up his own poo never hurt elton john's career.
Post #: 42
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 2:44:27 PM   
IKOS

quote:

ORIGINAL: New Era

Morning! I was pretty pissed when i kicked this off last night. Sorry for my lack of ellaboration but mr c has pretty much conveyed what i would have said.

I am didn't realise i came across as a constant moaner ikos :-( the reason i come here is not to put people down or call them shit. I posted here years ago when i knew very little about music production and obviously got flamed for my shit attempts at dnb. I loved playing dnb as a dj and for me the logical thing was to try and make some, much like the majority here. It was shit though at first. The thing is i was determined to write music, not sample music and put a beat on it so i set about teaching myself music theory and audio engineering. I did study at SAE for a year too which was a good grounding but i have also read a shit load of books, white papers and researched subjects myself.

All of this education made a huge improvement on any music that i wrote and dramatically increased workflow. Now i spend a lot of time working with composers (some of who are bafta winners) and producers that would laugh out the door if i came out with a load of bollocks.

I decided to start posting here again because i wanted to help people understand that educating yourself is paramount in being successful. Yea, there are some exceptions but the vast majority of us can't expect to get lucky everytime.

Look at somr of my older posts, i spent a lot of time explaining things such as nyquist theory, distortion, dithering, floating point and fixed point audio streams, and more... But a lot of users here come back and disagree or say things like "don't need to know that to make phat beats" so now if i see a question that can be answered with a small amount of education i do point out that it's easy if you know how. This is not everyone here so i'm not pointing fingers hut those who want to be arrogant amd just expect everyone to answer their questions without even attempting to read a book are going to get shitty comments from me.

I was also quite drunk last night, my apologies mate. You're an asset to the forum.
Post #: 43
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 2:57:33 PM   
BomDigiDigi

quote:

And who the fuck are you to tell him what to do? The man's a don.

Oh.. I'm just your simple, run of the mill connoisseur of greatness

quote:

No one's getting anywhere by being an ignorant spastic.

Well for one, I'm not ignorant to the fact that it takes a lot of attitude to make proper touching music and more of that than any technical knowledge or training you could throw at it. I think being a spastic helps loads tho, look at instrumentalists in general. Slash, Edge, Flea, Tommy Lee
Post #: 44
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 4:07:46 PM   
STIMPY

quote:

Sounds like you're sulking nowadays then? those things you've mentioned don't make someone with "no musical knowledge" better at dnb though do they? They're kind of secondary to the issues we're talking about in this thread I thought, i.e. they're more useful when you can actually come up with a decent tune in the first place.
Post #: 45
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 4:10:20 PM   
STIMPY

also in response to the original posters comments, you shouldn't be listening to other genres of music to improve your dnb production, you should be listening to all different musics because you like them. You really don't like ANYTHING but dnb? no reggae, hip hop, oldschool anything? nothing else? also what type of dnb do you like?
Post #: 46
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 4:16:07 PM   
Traffic
Maple Syrup Drinking Lumberjack

lol @ cunt in this thread. Pathetic...
Post #: 47
[Deleted] - 25/2/2012 5:00:01 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]
  Post #: 48
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 7:26:47 PM   
GNDrecords

every style on the planet with a 4/4 time sig influenced dnb. end of. without those styles (yes even pop) no dnb
Post #: 49
[Deleted] - 25/2/2012 7:32:33 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]
  Post #: 50
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 7:40:21 PM   
ceejay

Depends what your definition of shit is.
Personally I think most drums are over processed and not dirty enough, every sniff of dirt cleaned but thats not just a drum and bass thing. Another person might consider a perfectly clean punchy break to be great beat where another might think the complete opposite and prefer it a bit more raw sounding.
Not like weve all got drum kits to play along live.

quote:

If it has so many influences why are the drums so shit on most of it?

< Message edited by ceejay -- 25/2/2012 7:42:08 PM >
Post #: 51
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 7:40:35 PM   
GNDrecords

quote:

If it has so many influences why are the drums so shit on most of it?

because the people who make these tracks only listen to dnb!!! duuhhh
Post #: 52
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 7:45:52 PM   
STIMPY

dnb gets shitter all the time, imagine how shit it'll be in another ten years time, hey that's a great idea for a competition.
Post #: 53
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 7:47:25 PM   
GNDrecords

quote:

ORIGINAL: STIMPY

dnb gets shitter all the time, imagine how shit it'll be in another ten years time, hey that's a great idea for a competition.

i take it thats when youll be in your dnb producing prime ;)
Post #: 54
[Deleted] - 25/2/2012 7:51:14 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]
  Post #: 55
RE: listening to others genres of music - 25/2/2012 8:15:00 PM   
STIMPY

quote:

ORIGINAL: GNDrecords

quote:

i take it thats when youll be in your dnb producing prime ;)

I dunno I'd like to think I'm improving all the time, but I'm probably kidding myself.
Post #: 56
RE: listening to others genres of music - 26/2/2012 12:05:24 AM   
Traffic
Maple Syrup Drinking Lumberjack

quote:

It's not the sound, it's the fucking two step riddim used on 95% of tracks.

The 5%:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9jLzcQ2nBk
Post #: 57
RE: listening to others genres of music - 26/2/2012 10:03:24 AM   
New Era

quote:

quote:

Sounds like you're sulking nowadays then? those things you've mentioned don't make someone with "no musical knowledge" better at dnb though do they? They're kind of secondary to the issues we're talking about in this thread I thought, i.e. they're more useful when you can actually come up with a decent tune in the first place.

Not so much sulking, more of a 'if you can't beat them join them approach'. I agree that those examples aren't relevant to this thread but they were relevant to the threads they were posted in and still disregarded simply because a lot of members here would rather blindly twist knobs searching for the jackpot in an audio lottery.

In reference to my to my first comment in this thread... It seems to me that the first thing new 'producers' want to do is get some monitors and a DAW then click a load of random samples in because they've been djing for years. I am speaking from experiencing when i say you will find it much easier to make something cohearent if you took the time to learn some basic piano scales and chord structures. The point was proven by yourself the other day when you asked about how to convert a guitar chord to a piano chord. If you did a very small amount of reading, ie. What notes are guitar strings tuned to you could have worked that out for yourself far quicker than posting here and everyone calling you brian.

< Message edited by New Era -- 26/2/2012 10:05:28 AM >
Post #: 58
RE: listening to others genres of music - 26/2/2012 10:08:39 AM   
New Era

ps. In answer to the thread starter. YES definitely listen to other genres of music. In fact try not to listen to music from a genre point of view. Don't think to yourself 'i don't like rock' or whatever just listen to music as an all encompassing art and i'm sure there will be something out there that isn't dnb that strikes a chord with you.
Post #: 59
RE: listening to others genres of music - 26/2/2012 10:28:10 AM   
GNDrecords

quote:

ps. In answer to the thread starter. YES definitely listen to other genres of music. In fact try not to listen to music from a genre point of view. Don't think to yourself 'i don't like rock' or whatever just listen to music as an all encompassing art and i'm sure there will be something out there that isn't dnb that strikes a chord with you.

THIS!! i used to think like that, but ive broadened my horizons. i used to not like DnB!! lol but then i listened instead of just playing it
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [D&B Music] >> [Default Category] >> Drum&Bass Production >> RE: listening to others genres of music Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

Users viewing this topic: none

Downloads

Count Me In (feat Lady Emz) (Original Mix)
Countless Hours (Original Mix)
Life Is Listening (feat Lady Emz) (Original Mix)
Listening To Dreams
Listening (ft. Profisee)
No Return
Time 4 Change
Crosby
Ill Do Anything (You Want Me To)
6 Days
Finger In The Hole
Empty Tank (Ft. Suont)
Second Skin
Saviour
Hidden Hand