Skreams 'new' musical direction

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 10712
2011/12/03 21:34:40 (permalink)

Skreams 'new' musical direction

Guardian interview. As usual arse kissing and well off the mark when it talks about any music scene but still...

I can see the point about him having a kid and releasing something happy, but his music has been fucking turd for ages now. Proper sellout, and I hate that term cos its lazy. Really is tho, churns out shit after shit so far removed from what he pushed in the beginning there's just no way he isn't doing it for the radio 1 brigade.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/dec/03/skream-magnetic-man-dubstep-global

62 Replies Related Threads

DEEVS
    • Total Posts : 29270
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/03 21:38:18 (permalink)
    Yeah I would agree

It's quite a common trend a little frustrating too

GAME OVER MAN!!!
    CCourt
    • Total Posts : 13164
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/03 22:25:36 (permalink)
    Chest boxin'
    Postman Pat
    • Total Posts : 14394
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/03 22:29:13 (permalink)
    Man clearly wants to get paid. That's exactly what Magnetic Man is obviously all about - big gigs and festivals.

Having no great affiliation to dubstep I say fair play to him. There'll always be people keeping it real if you want that.
    prophesy
    • Total Posts : 4387
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/03 23:03:48 (permalink)
    I'd be drawing weird stick men out of fucking Corn Flakes.

Seriously though, Guardian has been so shit recently, getting on to what's hip and cool and down with the kids. Cringe-inducing.

Shiverman
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/03 23:19:27 (permalink)

prophesy
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/03 23:23:39 (permalink)
    hey look up at him from under the peaks of their New Eras, gurned-up bottom lips, quivering at the sight of the south London boy wonder responsible for much of their musical upbringing.

In a few moments he'll walk out of our chat and into a crowd of tanked-up uni boys, and girls with glitter cleavage, whose heads will judder in appreciation as he eschews his poppier direction for a set of white-knuckle bass.

Willfunk
    • Total Posts : 14637
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/03 23:45:27 (permalink)
    I just pop 'Callous' on and forgive all his sins.
    Styx DB
    • Total Posts : 9891
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/03 23:55:04 (permalink)
    To be fair he's always been open about wanting to experiment with his music and loves his retro disco stuff so I'm sure he's making the music he wants to. In that respect 'selling out' is probably a bit of a harsh criticism, although I don't like his change in style either.

He does come across as a bit of a condescending cock on Facebook and Twitter sometimes though, and seems dismissive towards fans that are disillusioned with the way the music has changed.
    The Waco Kid
    • Total Posts : 43370
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/03 23:58:19 (permalink)
    Skream is the like the dillinja of dubstep. some fantastic tunes in the back catelogue but a complete fucking shitmuncher now.

prophesy
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/03 23:58:19 (permalink)

???

Willfunk
    • Total Posts : 14637
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 00:09:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Syhr

Skream is the like the dillinja of dubstep. some fantastic tunes in the back catelogue but a complete fucking shitmuncher now.

I disagree rhys. Dillinja is far far from a shitmuncher.
    *OrganiX*
    • Total Posts : 4838
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 00:40:34 (permalink)

Shiverman
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 00:44:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Styx DB

To be fair he's always been open about wanting to experiment with his music and loves his retro disco stuff so I'm sure he's making the music he wants to. In that respect 'selling out' is probably a bit of a harsh criticism, although I don't like his change in style either.

He does come across as a bit of a condescending cock on Facebook and Twitter sometimes though, and seems dismissive towards fans that are disillusioned with the way the music has changed.

I remember the point where I stopped liking him. He had just released some other cheddar piece of crap and some guy put some harmless comment about how he thought it was poor compared to his earlier output. Skream basically said 'this guy is a cunt, everyone give him as much shit as you can'.

Experiment, fine. I don't think releasing the same remix with different vocals 4 times in as many months and putting out music that Nero would cringe at is experimenting. It's so formulaic and stale. Even the production, which was his saving grace, sounds so weak and over produced. Proper pendu-snare business in everything.
    DEEVS
    • Total Posts : 29270
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 05:04:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: willfunk

ORIGINAL: Syhr

I disagree rhys. Dillinja is far far from a shitmuncher.

He is though

That little video of him talking about pots and pans - and then he makes some of the shittest screeching rubbish I have heard.

It's like he woke up and decedided he was going to make shit music

GAME OVER MAN!!!
    skeng
    • Total Posts : 2434
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 05:50:07 (permalink)
    100% agree i went off him a LONG time ago, surely he's a sellout as he's basically stopped producing anything worth listening to. I could understand if he was producing the commercial bangers for the kids and the underground beats for the real fans but that's not the case at all.

I had him on facebook but recently removed him due to reading some of the shit his fans comment on his status's bigging him up making out as if he was always the god of dubstep (and most people on that page actually think he created dubstep lol)

The constant nagging of stupid yank cunts begging him to come to this state and this city and that state and that city

Clicking peoples profiles that have commented on his status's to realise their musical interests contain Skream, Skrillex, DATSIK, Doctor P, Flux Pavilian, Cookie Monster etc etc you can guarantee a producer has gone shit when he's grouped with the likes of said producers

Quite frankly it's fucking appalling what a terrible cunt he's become
    skeng
    • Total Posts : 2434
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 06:04:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Shiverman

ORIGINAL: Styx DB

I remember the point where I stopped liking him. He had just released some other cheddar piece of crap and some guy put some harmless comment about how he thought it was poor compared to his earlier output. Skream basically said 'this guy is a cunt, everyone give him as much shit as you can'.

Experiment, fine. I don't think releasing the same remix with different vocals 4 times in as many months and putting out music that Nero would cringe at is experimenting. It's so formulaic and stale. Even the production, which was his saving grace, sounds so weak and over produced. Proper pendu-snare business in everything.

I also remember this didn't he ask people to post screenshots of messages that they sent the guy?

Either that or people were posting screenshots just to prove they did it, i do remember people posting hate screenshots that they sent to him
    Shiverman
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 14:45:12 (permalink)
    I can't remember, I just remember thinking...that is pretty dark. There are enough fucking idiots on facebook without their hero inciting them to abuse some guy who was actually just speaking the truth
    BomDigiDigi
    • Total Posts : 1604
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 15:40:16 (permalink)
    I have not heard anything from him that wasn't appaling, please post some of the good bits
    HM1HM1
    • Total Posts : 3168
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 16:58:07 (permalink)
    His beard looks like Jade Goody's hair.
    *Missrepresent*
    • Total Posts : 5363
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 17:24:12 (permalink)

Proper sellout, and I hate that term cos its lazy.

Black Eyed Peas sold out, but they are now making more money than they would of done, depends on what you class as a sell out. My def of a sell out might be different to yours. Its an interesting discussion though, selling out.

Producers making music to make money? Granted there are a few that don't, but they are few and far between these days really.
    Shiverman
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 17:45:28 (permalink)
    Making shit music to pander to the masses in order to make more money, thats my definition. I suppose it all comes down to whether he actually likes the music he makes. He probably does, which rather than making him a sellout just makes him a cunt
    gavinx
    • Total Posts : 6390
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 18:37:14 (permalink)
    arei think he just knows how to make something that sounds horrible but will sell, because at the same time he's making the occasional tune like 'reflections' or 'exothermic reaction' which i think are great

a few tracks off his recent album and the mag man album were alright too

i kind of want to like him, and i admire his work ethic, but he does seem like a mouthy little try-hard prick
    Shiverman
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 18:53:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gavinx

arei think he just knows how to make something that sounds horrible but will sell, because at the same time he's making the occasional tune like 'reflections' or 'exothermic reaction' which i think are great

a few tracks off his recent album and the mag man album were alright too

i kind of want to like him, and i admire his work ethic, but he does seem like a mouthy little try-hard prick

Exothermic reaction is at least 3 years old. His last album was pretty forgettable. In fact I cant remember a single tune from it
    tyranny
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 19:47:33 (permalink)
    I guess he doesn't make tunes for people like me any more...

Disfigured Dubs is still a quality label though, some great tunes on there, last D:Bridge 12" was lush.
    Shiverman
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 19:49:44 (permalink)
    That new tune of his is coming out on Tempa.

LOL
    Ronald Wardo
    • Total Posts : 4272
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/04 22:17:55 (permalink)

That new tune of his is coming out on Tempa.

LOL

Skream was never consistently good to begin with.
    prophesy
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/07 16:36:25 (permalink)

wiseacre
    • Total Posts : 18957
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/07 16:43:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: *Missrepresent*

Proper sellout, and I hate that term cos its lazy.

Black Eyed Peas sold out, but they are now making more money than they would of done, depends on what you class as a sell out. My def of a sell out might be different to yours. Its an interesting discussion though, selling out.

Producers making music to make money? Granted there are a few that don't, but they are few and far between these days really.

when are you going to sell out?
    Duderonomy
    • Total Posts : 2930
    RE: Skreams 'new' musical direction 2011/12/07 16:43:51 (permalink)
    These changes mean that Judge Jules, Gilles Peterson, Kissy Sell Out, Fabio & Grooverider will be leaving Radio 1 next year.

Shame about Peterson, but I guess Benji B has supplanted him & MAH. Also good that they've moved teh Essential mix to an earlier time - difficult to call it 'essential' when it's relegated to a 3am slot.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0