Helpful ReplyHot!The Dad Thread

Page: << < ..7677787980 Showing page 80 of 80
Author
_Nearly 50 FFS_
  • Total Posts : 15299
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 11:20:21 (permalink)
geordie007

You are basically saying that other parents force their kids to eat meat 

I'm not saying that. Plus no-one knows what happens in every single household in the world, whether kids get to choose or not depends on more stats than your anecdotal evidence.
2ndPhase
  • Total Posts : 2637
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 11:24:07 (permalink)
Syhr
anyone else's kid(s) coughing every second of every day and night?

Got a 2 year old and a 6 month old that both sound like they've smoked Superkings for 20 years, it's been going on for what feels like months.

Yes!  My 3 yo has had a nasty cough on and off for 2 years, both GP and private paediatrician hasn't really come up with much than to say his chest is week.  Means every time he catches anything, he always picks up a virus and this horrific cough comes back.

"he'll grow out of it" apparently 
Mulla
  • Total Posts : 4691
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 11:42:45 (permalink)
My 6 y/o has been getting this strange reflux issue so the doctor suggested we cut various things out of his diet one at a time to see if we can identify what's causing the issue. 

Currently trying him on a dairy-free diet and it’s a fucking ballache. TBF it’s quite good the amount of dairy/lactose-free stuff you can get now…butter, milk, ice cream etc all taste pretty much exactly the same as the proper stuff, but it’s just remembering to use the dairy-free versions that I’m struggling with, especially seeing as his older brother is still on the normal stuff.  

Poor little man still has 2 or 3 Easter eggs just tempting him too lol. 
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12551
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 11:47:53 (permalink)
Snakey
Soz guys. the eye roll was just a light hearted indication of the extra work she has created for me, her mother and the childminder. I am more than happy for her to make her own choices as long as she is aware of the responsibility that goes with them - not always choosing exactly what she wants if there are other things on offer which may give her a balanced meal etc etc.

I've got a confession- I have steered both of my kids away from being a veggie a few times. I wouldn't mind them being veggies once they had grown, but I'm not convinced that I can provide the kind of macros I need to with the budget and time I have with a purely veggie diet. 

Not to mention the fact that they actually swerve veggies like the plague

Yes. I'm being a patriarchal bellend. 

Daniel Snakeman
  • Total Posts : 31973
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 12:38:48 (permalink)
And how did you do this?

Asking for a friend.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 13:02:40 (permalink)
Er... I basically talked vegetarianism down a bit like the bastard I am, talking about how when you are building a body at a fast rate of knots one of the most useful foods is- well, other bodies, I talked about PETA supporters feeding their cats vegetables (some animals HAVE to eat meat, we don't but yeah) and I got a nice anecdote out about their Aunt who, as an equally sweet and caring child, ditched meat and ended up being a bit peaky. 

As long as they get through to 15 without ditching the flesh it's fine by me. It's fine by me if they don't, I guess I'll just have to get better at cooking. And dealing with farts

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 13:03:58 (permalink)
I might be quite, quite wrong about this of course. Probably am tbf. 

Daniel Snakeman
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 13:09:36 (permalink)
I see. Sadly this particular child has a 14 year old cousin as a v positive veggie role model who is doing very nicely thank you having not touched a scrap of animal corpse for the last 2 years.

And a vegetarian Granny also.

Guess I'll just embrace it
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 13:27:09 (permalink)
Snakey

Guess I'll just embrace it

Words I should say a bit more often as a Dad to be honest. 

Jolly Mangina
  • Total Posts : 545
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 13:29:28 (permalink)
Brb just gonna indoctrinate my kids on how great the Nazis were.

Also coughing kids - you're bringing them up in a city where the levels of air pollution reach the annual legal limit by the end of month 1.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 13:38:05 (permalink)
I got told off by the builders the other day for "indoctrinating" my kids about Hasbro being uncaring capitalists that have moved from die-cast based Transformers in the 80's to the plastic shit they pump out now.

Guilty as charged 

mouse oxford
  • Total Posts : 2070
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 13:43:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby S8 2018/04/17 13:51:32
I don't think there is anything wrong with making children wait to make certain decisions for themselves until you are sure they are old enough to fully grasp the complexity of the issue at hand.

Isn't that what parenting is? Guiding your children in what's best for them until they are old enough to make decisions for themselves?

Then all you can do is hope that you have installed them with enough sense to make the right choices when the time comes.

i.e. Consume flesh like a normal human being should do.
mouse oxford
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 13:47:50 (permalink)
user21
Also coughing kids - you're bringing them up in a city where the levels of air pollution reach the annual legal limit by the end of month 1.

ALSO kids get ill a lot.

A coughing child is ever present.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 13:59:15 (permalink)
mouse
I don't think there is anything wrong with making children wait to make certain decisions for themselves until you are sure they are old enough to fully grasp the complexity of the issue at hand.

Isn't that what parenting is? Guiding your children in what's best for them until they are old enough to make decisions for themselves?

Then all you can do is hope that you have installed them with enough sense to make the right choices when the time comes.

I think that's why I weighed in, but I can't help feeling that they have seen something that I have tried very hard not to see, and to reward their perceptiveness I have given them a nice slice of adult mendacity to cope with the dissonance

Geordie007
  • Total Posts : 20279
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 14:03:49 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
mouse

I think that's why I weighed in, but I can't help feeling that they have seen something that I have tried very hard not to see, and to reward their perceptiveness I have given them a nice slice of adult mendacity to cope with the dissonance

Treat them to a juicy steak every month as your pennance
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 14857
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 14:04:54 (permalink)
2ndPhase
Syhr
anyone else's kid(s) coughing every second of every day and night?

Got a 2 year old and a 6 month old that both sound like they've smoked Superkings for 20 years, it's been going on for what feels like months.

Yes!  My 3 yo has had a nasty cough on and off for 2 years, both GP and private paediatrician hasn't really come up with much than to say his chest is week.  Means every time he catches anything, he always picks up a virus and this horrific cough comes back.

"he'll grow out of it" apparently 

My 9 year old used to get a proper hacking cough that lingered for months. Happened off and on a couple of times each year until she was 7. Her tonsils were always swollen at the same time. Went to the doctors a bunch of times, always got told that it’d be fine and sent on our way.

One time however we got an eager young trainee doctor (doctors being younger than me is a mttbm), she swabbed the tonsils and it turned out she had an infection so she prescribed antibiotics which sorted it all right out. Came back 6 months later though.

Since the cough has disappeared she gets hayfever instead, wonder if that’s related. Allergies etc. Not looking forward to her hayfever kicking in again soon, she gets it bad.

Oh and our toddler had croup last year. That was fun.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 14:06:21 (permalink)

@ Geordie
They do, in spite of their love of Les Animaux, fucking love a nice pink ribeye mate and I fucking love cooking and eating it with 'em!

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 14:08:06 (permalink)
@ Snotty kids parents dem

Was chatting about the Dyson air purifier with the guy that came round to fix the vacuum the other day- they reckon it's a ting for this 

mouse oxford
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 14:09:35 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
mouse

Lol. Prepare them for the minefield of adulthood.

I find myself constantly at odds between berating my daughter for her behaviour in order to at least attempt to create a well ballanced human being or reigning it in and allowing her to enjoy the freedom of childhood before she is destroyed by cynicism and consistent uncertainty of being an adult.

Its better when they are really young everything is much less complicated

"don't touch - hot"
post edited by mouse - 2018/04/17 14:11:23
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 19997
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 14:11:11 (permalink)
over winter having the heating on can dry out the air in your kid's room, causing them to cough. our daughter used to splutter through the night til we used a humidifier, which cleared it up completely.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073SCQ6ND/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

no
Geordie007
  • Total Posts : 20279
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 14:11:57 (permalink)
Jungle Dave

@ Geordie
They do, in spite of their love of Les Animaux, fucking love a nice pink ribeye mate and I fucking love cooking and eating it with 'em!

Excellent
Daniel Snakeman
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 14:19:36 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
mouse

Pretty much why I didn't weigh in lol
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 14:37:29 (permalink)
Parenting eh lads. When my in laws had them for the first time overnight recently (for FOUR NIGHTS) it blew my mind how fucking knackered it makes you. Just the constant constantness! 

Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44153
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 14:53:18 (permalink)
My parents are having my 2 overnight for the first time soon, I think it might actually finish them off. Inheritance here I come!

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 14:54:26 (permalink)
Syhr
My parents are having my 2 overnight for the first time soon, I think it might actually finish them off. Inheritance here I come!

My in laws looked at me with a mixture of respect and loathing.

As opposed to the straight loathing, no ice, no little umbrella I usually get

Bruce Bogtrotter
  • Total Posts : 7826
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 17:06:13 (permalink)
Became a DAD 3 weeks ago. It's a boy (hurrah). He's currently going through his 3 week growth spurt and all hell breaks loose if we dare put him down on his back. Currently averaging 3 hours sleep a night. 

Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 30483
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 17:26:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bruce Bogtrotter 2018/04/17 20:27:07
Congrats! I expect him to have his first kettle within a month.

Griff
  • Total Posts : 9061
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 17:39:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bruce Bogtrotter 2018/04/17 20:27:09
Congratulations Brian.  3 hours sleep...takes you back to the shovel days eh! 
Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 3380
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 18:32:53 (permalink)
Twats!

Bruce Bogtrotter
  • Total Posts : 7826
Re: RE: The Dad Thread 2018/04/17 20:27:58 (permalink)
Griff
Congratulations Brian.  3 hours sleep...takes you back to the shovel days eh! 

It's relentless. Respect to all the dads in here that dealt with this!

Page: << < ..7677787980 Showing page 80 of 80
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0